Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819

Thread: Hell's Rebels Part One: In Hell's Bright Shadow

Voltarus fell into his second sight, the world around him suddenly coming alive with colors and shapes reflecting off the magical artifacts. His eyes glowed faintly blue as he focused his attention on the pile in front of him. A few he could immediately disregard: the mace, though apparently treated with a fine coat of silver, was non-magical. The shortbow and the hand-crossbow were both of excellent make, but similarly unenchanted. The metal coffer was nonmagical, though it did look thick enough to hide the detection of any of its contents.

Others, however, glowed faintly in his sight. The leather armor, looking supple and shiny after all these years, radiated a soft defensive magic. He knew that it would protect its wearer more effectively than normal. The cloak was a different sort of magic. He could almost hear a sing-song elven voice woven into it's threads. The song was a playful, mischievous thing; all about hiding under sun-dappled branches or meeting a lover in the dead of night. The colors of the cloak shifted as he watched, blending into it's surroundings. He was sure it would hide it's wearer quite efficiently. He turned his attention to the potions next. One was a familiar friendly pink color, a healing potion if ever he had seen one. The other looked more like an oil than a potion. It was bright white, and he deduced that putting it onto a weapon would make that weapon more powerful against evil creatures.

The final object of his investigation were the statuettes. There were now four of them placed carefully on the ground. They radiated a much more powerful magic than anything in the room. He studied their aura for a long time before finally coming to the conclusion that they could be brought to life with a single word, the elvish word for 'freedom', he sensed, and could remain alive to carry messages for about 24 hours out of every week. His mouth dropped open as he suddenly realized he had heard of these before. Kintargo was generally a place of fewer laws than the rest of Cheliax, but one strange law that had always been on the books was that anyone caught buying, selling, using, or owning these Silver Raven statues was subject to immediate execution. As far as he knew, no one had ever understood why the law had existed in the first place. The figures must have been associated with the actual Silver Ravens group. Maybe that was where they had even gotten their name. Either way, Voltarus understood that though incredibly valuable, these items would be almost impossible to sell with the current Thrune crackdown.

OOC:
    Loot is as follows:

Mwk Silver Mace
    Mwk Composite Shortbow (+1 Str)
    Mwk Hand Crossbow
    A Pouch of one dozen Pearls (100 gp each)
    +1 Leather Armor
    Cloak of Elvenkind
    Potion of Cure Light Wounds
    Oil of Bless Weapon
    4 Silver Raven Figurines of Wonderous Power - (Note: As long as Thrune is in control of Kintargo, these are illegal and basically impossible to sell)
    Common Set of Thieve's Tools
    Disguise Kit (10 uses, +2 on disguise checks)

Metal coffer still unopened!

Characters:
    -Loren Soth (LG Male Human Fighter 7/Paladin 3; Dragons on the River of Time)
    -Kadrien Soth (Zabrak Soldier 5/Jedi 2; Star Wars-Dawn of Defiance)
    -Victaria Grey (NG Female Cleric of Irori 5; Rise of the Runelords)

Jaem snatched the metal coffer from its place on the pile, trying not to interrupt Voltarus. He eyed the tool bundle, and only hesitated for a second before snatching it up as well. The Tiefling moved away a few steps before settling back onto the floor of the storeroom, and admiring the tools.

It seemed a standard collection of the tools of his trade: probes and picks in various lengths and thicknesses, an assortment of files both flat and shaped, a fine-toothed saw, a small hammer and a few chisels, several lengths of fine, twisted wire, and several tiny silvered mirrors. Their handles were all a uniform ash wood, shiny and worn in places from extensive use. There was a mysterious rune stamped on all of the wooden grips: a tiny elven "F". He guessed that they had been personalized by their former owner. Each implement had its own individual pocket sewn onto the unrolled leather bundle, which was a dull brown, worn rough from being laid on the ground repeatedly. It wasn't any different than his, but it was more intriguing, and in better shape, wear-wise.

With the tool bundle unrolled before him, the rogue next inspected the heavy coffer. It was a strongbox banded in heavy iron. He tipped it, scanning the seam between the lid and body, and the hinges, which were fashioned to prevent tampering. Turning it back around, and laying it down so that the lock faced the ceiling, Jaem very carefully peered around the edges of the keyhole, looking for scratches, or signs of acid burn on the metal. Satisfied, he ran his fingers along the tool bundle, choosing what he felt was the appropriate pick and probe, and set to work on the lock.

OOC: Perception to check for traps - 1d20(12)+6=18. Disable Device - 1d20(20)+8=28.
    Last edited by SuperBall; Yesterday at 09:15 AM.
    Dragonlanceforums.com Moderater - To be one, ask one!

Do you love the Dragonlace Forums? Do they provide you with hours of entertainment? Why not donate? Keep the hamsters running. Ask me how!

As his last strike disemboweled the creature, the Page went about cleaning his weapons before eyeing Aphra in a new light, "Well fought. You stood like a true champion."

He entered the room where the others were sorting through things. "My apologies companions, the foul beasts fell easier than I thought. I do not discount any of your bravery or abilities. We should have stood and fought from the beginning." Feeling foolish for sending them all scurrying away from the fight.
    "It's not a game of Final Fantasy where you can step outside the plot for a bit and train up your stats, it's a potentially apocalyptic final chapter in an epic drama." - Brass Tiger Captain

Jaem looked up from where he knealt on the floor working on the coffer's lock. "No one should doubt decisions made in haste and danger, friend. Never mind the battle, see what we have discovered." Jaem swept one arm out wide to indicate the piled supplies. "I think these must have belonged to the old rebellion. We can use it all in the service of Kintargo." He looked back down into the keyhole, focusing his attention on his task again.
    Last edited by SuperBall; Yesterday at 09:19 AM.

Do you love the Dragonlace Forums? Do they provide you with hours of entertainment? Why not donate? Keep the hamsters running. Ask me how!

Jaem felt the fancy new tools give him just the bit of luck he needed to get past the quality lock. After a moment of intense concentration he heard the satisfying click that let him know he had done his job well. He slowly lifted the lid of the coffer and saw hundreds of loose sheets of paper on one side and what looked to be several scroll cases on the other. He picked up one of the loose pieces of paper and though he could pick out a few words in elven here and there, the rest of the words were gibberish. They were either a language he didn't know or hidden through some kind of cypher.

Rexus, who had been hovering near the back and glancing nervously at the bodies of the two devils, stepped forward. He carefully picked up another page and looked at. "Fascinating," the nobleman turned revolutionary said. "Hmmmm, yes, hmmmm," he traced one finger over the page, picking out particular words. "This appears to be written in three languages, as a kind of code I would suppose. There's Elvish, Celestial, and the little known language of the Strix. The grammatical implications of mixing all three...." he trailed off before shaking his head. "I'm sorry, I've always had a bit of a thing for languages. I believe I could decode these documents, but I expect it would take weeks of work..."

OOC:
    Jaem DC 25 Disable Device check succeeds. Coffer has hundreds of loose leaf pages and four scroll cases

Characters:
    -Loren Soth (LG Male Human Fighter 7/Paladin 3; Dragons on the River of Time)
    -Kadrien Soth (Zabrak Soldier 5/Jedi 2; Star Wars-Dawn of Defiance)
    -Victaria Grey (NG Female Cleric of Irori 5; Rise of the Runelords)

Jaem lifted the coffer, proffering it to Rexus. "Take it. Any help that you give would be appreciated." The Tiefling looked over their gains. They had clearly stumbled into an old storehouse of the Silver Ravens. It was his hope reborn, and a long dream come to life. "Let's use it." He said to the others. "Let's take Kintargo back from the Thrunes. There must be people in the city that remember the rebellion, people who are willing to fight on. We have at least one undiscovered storehouse, and the means to pass messages. I can speak to the others like me in the Devil's Nursery. No one has been hurt by the Thrunes more. We have a chance."