Page 38 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940 LastLast

Thread: Hell's Rebels Part One: In Hell's Bright Shadow

Dalvin took hold of the Thrune pendant around his neck and forcefully shoved it into his belt pouch. Someone had it out for the fledgling rebellion. They needed to find the culprit before more serious damage was done.

He turned to his companions and whispered “We need to find whoever tipped them off, that much is obvious. We don’t know whether it’s the same person that was responsible for the sabotage, but since we seem to know more about the saboteur than the tipster, that seems like a good place to start.

“First of all, the saboteur has to be someone close to the rebellion. Only a small handful of us even knew about the Ravens at the time. Of that number, an even smaller number had opportunity. To my mind, that makes the list of suspects much more manageable. I’ve seen the dedication that you have to this rebellion and don’t believe either of you would betray it. Clearly you both can rule me out as well since I would have been a prisoner at the time the deed was done. That leaves only Rexus, Aphra, Voltarus, the Fushi sisters, and...that other group of people that I’ve seen you directing, Jaem. I’m sorry, I cannot recall their names at the moment. But as far as I’m aware, that short list comprises the total number of people who even knew that the hideout existed to sabotage.

“Rexus seems about as likely to be the one responsible as Laria herself. I simply do not believe that he would ever wish to align himself with our enemy after what they put his family through. I suppose Laria knew as well, but I am supremely confident that she didn't try to collapse her own establishment.

"Aphra and I haven’t spoken much, but from what I understand she was one of the founding members of the Ravens. She’s a bit terse but that doesn’t seem all that unusual around here and certainly isn't sufficient reason to level such a serious charge. It's worth noting that she was the one injured by the wall, which may or may not be significant.

"Voltarus was part of the group that rescued me from the salt works and it therefore seems unlikely that he would have had time to break down a wall and accompany you on the mission, though I suppose it might be possible.

The Fushi sisters, I confess, are something of an enigma to me. They seem to be sincere in their desire to help though, for whatever that's worth.

"The last group that knew about the headquarters are those that you direct, Jaem. I trust you and so if you trust them, that's enough for me. We will find whoever was responsible, of that I'm sure."

A thought occurred to Dalvin, who turned to address Laria. "Was anyone besides yourself and the Ravens aware of the basement at the time of the collapse? Oh, while this isn't strictly related to our invetigation, did a small girl named Rhenya ever make it here? We ran into her yesterday and told her to make her way to your shop for food and shelter. I can pay for whatever she ate." He didn’t think that the urchin girl would really be any use in the investigation, but he wanted to make sure she was safe nonetheless.
    "In the beginning there was nothing, and it exploded."
    --Terry Pratchett

"A few people have done work out of the Wasp's Nest," Laria informed Dalvin. "But I trust all of them, and besides barely any are still left in the City. Most of my worker's here know, but they're either all Bellflower Network or halflings I've rescued myself. I trust them all with my life." She looked worried for a moment. "I'm sorry, I don't believe any girl has come around asking for you. I'll keep a lookout for her, though."

Everyone fell back to their hideout, each one incredibly worried about their breach in security. The doubt that any one in the Wasp's Nest could be betraying them was enough to turn any group against each other. Confident in their trust of each other, the founders of the Silver Raven's formulated a plan. Over the next several days, they each met secretly with different members of the organization. In each meeting they gave a different piece of highly classified information. Voltarus informed the Fushi sisters that their next target would be a Thrune grain depot while Jaem informed his Tiefling toughs that they would be breaking a supporter out of the Holding Cells, and so one to all the different members who could possibly be a suspect. Some felt ashamed in not trusting their people, but if the rebellion was to survive they would need to act quickly.

Over the next several days they watched the city like a hawk. They were on the lookout for any sign that one plan or another had been spilled to the enemy. And sure enough, it was clear that one was. Security around a Thrune grain depot tripled in the coming days. While walking casually by Jaem felt his heart sink. Only the Fushi sisters had been told about this plan. But that didn't make any sense. They had been some of the first ever converts to the Rebellion. He grimly made his way back to the Wasp's Nest, ready to confront their supposed traitors.

Jaem quietly spread the word as he gathered the others. All three of the Fushi sisters were nearby playing a game of dice. Jaem, Dalvin, and the Page approached the table while the Tieflings blocked the ladder into the coffeehouse and Forvian Crowe and his men blocked the sewers. Aphra and Voltarus watched from a side table, both angry and nervous respectively.

Jaem and the Page both noticed the youngest Fushi sister, Treep, acting strangely. Her eyes were darting about the room and she fidgeted constantly. Her leg bounced up and down as they approached and her eyes looked glazed and unfocused.

"Uh, what's up boss?" the oldest Fushi sister, Korva, asked.

OOC:
    Rebellion Phase:
    Upkeep: DC 10 Loyalty:(13)+ 6 =19. Success. Attrition: 1d6(3) supporters lost.

Rebellion levels up to level 3! You each receive one potion worth up to 300 gp. You guys also now have one open team spot.

Okay, I'm taking a few liberties with your guys actions and developing a plan. Your first action (gather info) is actually developing the plan. Your second action is carrying out the plan, and your third action is Recruit Supporters.

Action 1: No check required
    Action 2: DC 15 Secrecy check to carry out plan:(14) + 8= 22
    Bonus action 3: DC 13 Loyalty:(5)+ 11= 16. 2d6(4,4) + 3= 11. That's a lot of supporters!

I'll give each one of you a sense motive on the Fushi Sisters:
    Jaem:(20)+6= 26
    Dalvin:(2) + 3= 5
    The Page:(14)+ 10=24

Characters:
    -Loren Soth (LG Male Human Fighter 7/Paladin 3; Dragons on the River of Time)
    -Kadrien Soth (Zabrak Soldier 5/Jedi 2; Star Wars-Dawn of Defiance)
    -Victaria Grey (NG Female Cleric of Irori 5; Rise of the Runelords)

“We want to go over the plan again, Korva.” Said Jaem. He noticed her sister’s nervous behavior. “Things have changed. Are you alright, Treep?”
    Dragonlanceforums.com Moderater - To be one, ask one!

Do you love the Dragonlace Forums? Do they provide you with hours of entertainment? Why not donate? Keep the hamsters running. Ask me how!

The Page didnt like all this cloak and dagger nonsense, especially now that he felt sure of who the traitor was. However, he was willing to let Jaem play his game.
    "It's not a game of Final Fantasy where you can step outside the plot for a bit and train up your stats, it's a potentially apocalyptic final chapter in an epic drama." - Brass Tiger Captain

Treep shook sightly and looked up at Jaem with wide eyes as if shocked to be addressed. "What? Yes. No. Fine." she put her hands up to her head and tapped furiously on her temples. "Fine. Fine. Fine." Her sisters stared at her nervously.

"Treep?" Korva said standing up and moving towards her sister. "What's wrong?" When Treep just continued to tap harder and harder on her head Korva looked at the others. "What's wrong with her? She's been quiet this past week, but what is this?" Korva finally grabbed her sisters hands and stopped her from continuing to hit herself.

"I'm fine," Treep said, a little more clearly. "I'm fine. Let go." Korva let go and Treep just sat there, rocking slightly but making no other movements.

Characters:

“Security around the grain depot has increased significantly.” He told them, letting the words hang in the air. “It’s like they knew we’d be coming.” His voice went quiet, almost a whisper. Morale would suffer significantly if word of this got out, and he was wrong. He had to be sure. “We only told you three about that plan.” He breathed. “No one else knew.”

Do you love the Dragonlace Forums? Do they provide you with hours of entertainment? Why not donate? Keep the hamsters running. Ask me how!

Dalvin stared confusedly at Treep as Jaem spoke to the three sisters. Something was clearly wrong with her. Perhaps she had been ensorceled, but Dalvin had no way to be certain since he had no real experience with magic. Instead, he let himself relax as his eyes focused intently on the fidgeting woman before him. For a brief moment the world seemed to contain nothing but the nervous Tengu as he tried to divine the nature of her aura.

--OOC--
    Detect Evil on Treep (I don't expect it'll register anything, but maybe if she's possessed by a devil or something it'll work.)
    "In the beginning there was nothing, and it exploded."
    --Terry Pratchett

Dalvin sensed no evil from the Tengu before him, but he knew that didn't mean much. Only those truly tainted often showed as black hearted in his sight. Either she wasn't evil, or perhaps just not strong enough for it show.

"That's crazy!" Korva said, her sister momentarily forgotten. "You think it was us? We hate Thrune just as much as the rest of you!" She looked around, taking in the sight of everyone arrayed against her. "It must have been coincidence! Or Hell, I don't know."

"Korva..." Treep said, so quietly it was practically a whisper. Her sister didn't hear her.

Korva puffed her chest out defiantly and waved a hand towards the outside world. "Besides, we've been here practically the entire time since you told us. We couldn't have gotten the information out!"

"Korva..." Treep said again quietly.

"That's not entirely true, is it?" Rexus said from a nearby table with a clear of his throat. "Treep stepped out for quite some time today."

The Tengu turned to face him. "She's into some boy in the docks. She went to go see him. Is that a crime against the Rebellion now? Tell them, Treep," She looked down at her sister who now looked even more pitiful than before.

"Korva..." Treep practically sobbed. "It wasn't me, it wasn't me." She threw her head onto the table and cried in earnest. Korva shot Jaem a look that could kill as she tried to console her sister. Finally through the sobs they could make out what Treep was saying:

"It was the voices."

OOC:
    Excellent try, but detect evil doesn't register.
    Last edited by jake; 01-10-2018 at 11:17 PM.

Characters:

“It was the voices.”

Jaem heard Treep say it through the tears. The Fushi Sisters had been loyal to his cause since the beginning. He wanted to believe them with all of his heart. If he executed Treep for her sedition that had put so many lives at risk, he knew that he would lose the other sisters, and many others with them. When they had initially met them, there were four. One of their number had gone mad, and had attacked them on sight. If it was possible that Treep was sick, there might be a cure.

”Explain.” He ordered her, willing his hand away from his sword hilt.

The Page also took his hand away from his sword. The traitor deserved pity and he wondered if mental issues were common in the race. He continued to watch to see if she would answer the question to explain.
    "It's not a game of Final Fantasy where you can step outside the plot for a bit and train up your stats, it's a potentially apocalyptic final chapter in an epic drama." - Brass Tiger Captain