Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233 LastLast

Thread: Hell's Rebels Part One: In Hell's Bright Shadow

Dalvin felt his leg start to give way as the mace crashed into his unprotected knee. His vision swam and he heard his own voice cry out in agony. Without pausing to steady himself after the crushing blow, Dalvin thrust the now-bloodied spear forward and firmly into the ground. A small sigh of weariness and disappointment escaped his lips. Perhaps if he had not been so eager to land the final blow, he might have spent the time to collect himself and found his mark. He had always been impulsive in combat however, and that seemed unlikely to change now.

Taking one hand off of the spear shaft, he placed it to his mangled knee and felt the healing power of his goddess begin to repair the damage. He could not stand there for long though, and once he felt confident that the limb would support his weight once more, he removed his hand. Dalvin took stock of the positions of his allies. The majority of his newfound compatriots were standing behind him, unable to fit into the narrow corridor alongside himself and the tiefling. He would be of no use standing in the way of those who were standing behind him. Making sure he did not present an easy target to the enemy, he stepped backwards between the spellcaster and the tiefling. Looking around again, he was satisfied that he had left enough room for the man who gave him the spear to make his way into the fray should that be his desire.

—OOC—
    Standard action: Attack Kossrani(no power attack) (6)+8=14 misses anyway
    Swift action: lay on hands myself 1d6(5)
    Move action: 5 foot step NE
    "In the beginning there was nothing, and it exploded."
    --Terry Pratchett

Praising the Inheritor for the new man's judgement to get out of the way, the Page quickly filled his spot. He took advantage of the dwarf's momentary distraction to strike what he felt was the killing blow. "He have been judged by the Inheritor and have been found guilty. Sentence is death to be carried out immediately." He then eyed the guards hungrily.

ooc: Moving to where D was and attacking K
    1d20(20)+5=25; confirm 1d20 (15)+5=20; 1d8(7)+4=11 plus crit deck
    "It's not a game of Final Fantasy where you can step outside the plot for a bit and train up your stats, it's a potentially apocalyptic final chapter in an epic drama." - Brass Tiger Captain

The Page stepped forward, his longsword leading the way. The gleaming blade slipped past armor and cut deep into the flesh and bone of the dwarf's neck. Kossrani's head separated completely from his body and fell with a clunk onto the ground. The stout body followed. The two remaining guards watched in horror, looked at each other briefly, and turned and ran back out the front door.

The five stood in the Salt Works, surrounded by the dead and dying. From up ahead they heard a muffled "Hello? What's going on out there?" Dalvin recognized the voice of one of the other prisoners coming from the locked office where they were being held.

OOC:
    The Page does enough damage to kill Kossrani outright, no crit card needed. Guards 4 and 5 both withdraw as full round actions. I'll take us out of rounds unless you want to try to give chase. Full map posted below in case it's needed (Dalvin knows the layout).

Characters:
    -Loren Soth (LG Male Human Fighter 7/Paladin 3; Dragons on the River of Time)
    -Kadrien Soth (Zabrak Soldier 5/Jedi 2; Star Wars-Dawn of Defiance)
    -Victaria Grey (NG Female Cleric of Irori 5; Rise of the Runelords)

Jaem dropped to his knees next to the Dwarf, his blades resting once again in their scabbards. “Let them go.” He said to the others. “We’ll be gone long before help arrives.” He searched the Dwarf, separating anything useful from his corpse, but looking specifically for keys. The quicker they fleeced the salt mines and were gone, the better.

OOC: Perception check 1d20(8)+5=13.
    Dragonlanceforums.com Moderater - To be one, ask one!

Do you love the Dragonlace Forums? Do they provide you with hours of entertainment? Why not donate? Keep the hamsters running. Ask me how!

Jaem did the dirty deed quickly, rumaging through the dwarf's pockets and pack until he found what he was looking for: a keyring. He set all the other possessions off to the side and looked at the keys. One was a large and made of iron, that one was probably for the doors. Another was smaller, and if he had to guess that one probably undid the shackles hampering the prisoners, just like the ones the man next to him wore.

OOC:
    Jaem finds:
    Keys, potions (2), tanglefoot bags (2), mwk chainmail, heavy steel shield, composite longbow (+2 Str) with 20 arrows, mwk heavy mace, 28 gp.

The guards: studded leather armor (3), light mace (3), manacles (3), bronze Thrune pendant worth 30 gp (3), 12 gp

Characters:

Jaem twisted the key in Dalvin’s restraints, and the heavy metal manacles fell to the floor. “Arm yourself, sir.” Jaem invited him. “Welcome to the resistance.” He said, moving to the other locked doors. He unlocked each of them, one after the other.

OOC: Unlocking both offices on this side of the salt Works.
    Dragonlanceforums.com Moderater - To be one, ask one!

Do you love the Dragonlace Forums? Do they provide you with hours of entertainment? Why not donate? Keep the hamsters running. Ask me how!

Dalvin smiled as he felt the shackles swing open. He set down his spear and knelt next to the first guard that they had felled. Without pausing to assess whether the man still clung to life, he pressed his hands upon the guard’s motionless frame. The man did not deserve a death sentence just for taking a job even if that job was unsavory. He called out to the other prisoners as he felt Iomedae’s divine radiance course through him and into the body.

“These three men arrived to break us out of this place” Dalvin paused for a moment. “We had a disagreement with Kossrani and the guards. It’s settled now.” He then realized what the tiefling had just told him and his head jerked back to look at the man who had freed him. “Good! I think the corruption in this city could do with some resistance. However, if I am to join you I would like to know your names. I am called Dalvin Castellatus, who are you?”

—OOC—
    Lay on hands on the first dude we dropped just in case he’s still bleeding out. Also if there are any other downed guards Dalvin would lay on hands them too. I don’t remember if we killed any others or if they just ran off.
    --Terry Pratchett

The Page stepped over the corpse of the dwarf, "You. Where is the dwarf's office." He demanded from one of the freed prisoners. He figured that is where they would find any valuables stored in this place.
    "It's not a game of Final Fantasy where you can step outside the plot for a bit and train up your stats, it's a potentially apocalyptic final chapter in an epic drama." - Brass Tiger Captain

Jaem unlocked Dalvin first and then moved onto the doors. The first one opened up a room that looked to have once been an office but was now covered in filthy straw mats. Four prisoners in rags like Dalvin huddled in the room. One of them, a dark haired human with a scar running from eye to chin, said "Who are you?" to the strange sight of the Tiefling. As Dalvin's voice rang out that the group was here to rescue them, the man lowered his arms and smiled. "By Shelyn's left teat I was not expecting that!" he laughed. "Is Kossrani dead then? I'd like to spit on the corpse, if I may."

The group of prisoners moved into the hallway, eager to leave their cramped quarters. True to his word, the man promptly spit on Kossrani's body as he took in the carnage. "Name's Forvian," he said. "Forvian Crowe. Really then, who are you lot?"

While the prisoners were let out Dalvin tended to the wounded. He prayed over the first guard to fall, but despite his hands glowing with a warm blue light, he could tell the man was dead. He moved on to the other fallen guard and this time his prayer seemed to be answered. The man's bleeding slowed and though he did not wake, he seemed to be stable.

The Page focused on the task at hand. A prisoner led him into the front room where they said Kossrani had a desk where he kept anything important. The room had a table with four chairs around it, cards and dice still left behind from the guards whiling away the time. The back of the room gave way to the salt pit, a sweltering room where furnaces and vents created constant hot air flow to dry layers of wet salt. The work of turning, gathering, bagging, and transporting the finished product had surely been why Thrune had been keeping prisoners here.

In the other corner of the room however was the desk the prisoner had mentioned. Sheets of paper lay atop it, detailing all kinds of business. Some was legitimate, but even a cursory glance revealed to the Page that Kossrani was selling a lot of salt on the black market. Thrune had surely recognized this by now, Prydewyld suspected, and he imagined they wouldn't be too sorry to see the dwarf go. Using the keys taken from Kossrani's body the Page opened the drawers of the desk and a nearby chest. In the desk he found a hefty sack of gold and silver coins. The chest contained five bags of assorted goods each carrying an official Thrune paper stating "Prisoners effects- to be returned upon release". There was one for each prisoner, he saw, including Dalvin.

OOC:
    Jaem frees the prisoners! Dalvin finds one dead guard but the other is still alive. Lay on hands:(5) HP healed. Still unconscious, but now stable.

The Page finds 67 gp and 423 sp, papers detailing Kossrani's black market dealings, and Dalvin's gear. Jeff, feel free to add your equipment to your character sheet when you get a chance!
    Last edited by jake; 12-04-2017 at 10:35 PM.

Characters:

Dalvin stood up as the second guard’s shallow breathing became steadier. Seeing the tallest of the rebels walk into the main room, he picked up the spear and followed behind him. It was the first time Dalvin passed through those doors without having been ordered to do so. The feeling was not as empowering as he had hoped; his mind lingered on the unwilling blood that freedom had cost. Nevertheless, he was free, and with that freedom came a golden opportunity. The chance to be a part of a meaningful effort to oppose house Thrune had practically fallen into his lap!

As he drew nearer to what was once Kossrani’s desk he saw the bags of personal effects. The tiefling had suggested he arm himself and he intended to do so. He assumed the third bag was his considering the way it bulged and seemed to have been forced closed. As he walked the remaining distance between himself and his equipment, he turned to the man who had severed Kossrani’s amoral head from its shoulders.

“That was an excellent blow you struck against my captor. You have my thanks for that, for your spear, and most of all my freedom." Dalvin smiled "My freedom I intend on keeping, but your spear I'll gladly return” and handed the weapon back to its owner.

Dalvin heaved his bag out of the chest and opened it. He rifled through the contents until he found what he was looking for: a small wooden sword with a sunburst behind it attached to a chain to be worn around the neck. In his search he found that the rest of his belongings were unharmed as well. That matter resolved, he returned his attention to the other man in the room and held up his armor.

“If we have the time to spare, I wouldn’t mind some more substantial protection than…well this.” Dalvin gestured to his worn prisoner’s outfit. “It’ll be faster to get into the armor if I have help but should only take a couple minutes either way.” He started laying out the heavy armor to wear, ready to stop at any protestations.
    --Terry Pratchett