Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 274

Thread: Hell's Rebels Part One: In Hell's Bright Shadow

  1. #81
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Akron, Ohio
    Posts
    5,491

    Default

    Jaem knealt on the dirty floor, and removing a roll of heavy cloth, untied the strings that wound around it, and unrolled it in front of him. His fingers ran gently along an assortment of cunning, delicate tools, all stowed in sewn-in pockets on the bundle, he snatched a hooked probe with a cob handle, and a long, thin steel pick, and set to work on the lock.

    He heard a sharp snapping sound, and pulled the ruined pick from where he'd thrust it into the lock. He hissed some sibilant syllables, the anger in his voice leaving no doubt it was expletive, albeit in the secret tongue of the Shadowlands. The instrument had broken cleanly, leaving a jagged, almost level surface. Jaem threw the probe away. "Pryde, Aphra? I can't get this open. We've have to break it down."

    OOC: Disable Device check - 1d20(2)+8=10...
    Dragonlanceforums.com Moderater - To be one, ask one!

    Do you love the Dragonlace Forums? Do they provide you with hours of entertainment? Why not donate? Keep the hamsters running. Ask me how!

  2. #82
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Wild, Wonderful, West Virginia!
    Posts
    12,527

    Default

    Jaem circled the dog, keeping the point between himself and the animal. He lunged, driving the point of the blade at the hostile canine.

    Jaem made the dog's death swift, Aphra's sword still held between Voltarus and the dead canine. She gave a silent nod of approval to Jaem's efficient work. Some deserved to die slow - Aphra could name a few, but a dog deserved a quick demise, as painless as possible.

    "I don't think an empty place would have guard dogs right?" Voltarus asked just as Jaem told them to hush and quietly walked down the other end. He mouthed "Sorry" to the tiefling as he waited with the others for Jaem to give them all a sign things were okay.

    Aphra stayed silent as Jaem moved forward as she considered Voltarus's words. Whether there was further danger none could know. Yet Voltarus was certainly right. Even if there were no more threats here, guard dogs were set to guard - something.

    "Pryde, Aphra? I can't get this open. We'll have to break it down." Jaem was saying after trying to open a metal grate.

    "You're right it's worth investigating," she said to Jaem. "Unfortunately I didn't bring my battering ram. Anyone have any acid, like from an alchemist? Maybe it could eat through enough of the grate to make a hole large enough for us to squeeze through. I have a grappling hook and rope should we be able to climb down."

    Aphra's eyes weren't on the metal grate by the time she was finished speaking, however. Her sword held in one hand, her other was fishing through her backpack, retrieving a foot long iron rod. It had a gold tip of some sort. Aphra stepped to position herself. Underhanded, she sharply swung the rod so its gold tip just scraped the floor. The gold tip sparked and flared to a tiny but blinding point of light by the time she followed through with her upswing.

    The sunrod's glowing tip shed light across the darkness ahead and across the stables, where Aphra now focused her attention.

    "If anyone else is here they know we're here from the barking," she reminded everyone. Aphra spat some strands of her hair out of her mouth, hands full. "Keep trying," she said to Jaem. "Maybe drop a copper down there, see if it attracts any attention." Aphra knew the men were stronger than her, and if it came to heaving loose a stuck metal grate, it would be they that could do it.

    "I'll search the wrecked offices. You never know, there could be a key to the grate hidden back there somewhere," she reasoned as she began striding in her knee high heavy leather boots across the stables toward the offices. There was no point in hiding or sneaking while holding the sunrod flaring and chasing away dark shadows, so the fed-up citizen of Kintargo did not.

    OOC
    -light sunrod (6 hour duration): creates normal light in a 30'-radius around Aphra, and increases the light level by one step for an additional 30'-radius (i.e. total darkness to shadowy, etc.)
    -move toward the offices on the other side
    Perception (search) Take 10 for a 16 since we're not under pressure etc.
    Last edited by Bong Bellowsmoke; 04-15-2017 at 12:01 PM.
    The Red Condor shrieked at Sir Darvig in full wrath. Wings flapped storms of fire across the sky. "The Mage-God grows in power swifter than it appears to Paladine. This I know. A warning," Sargonnas told Darvigl, "for you to give to Paladine in your prayers."

    “I will,” Darvig uttered.

  3. #83
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ulgaard
    Posts
    1,794

    Default

    The Page cocked an eyebrow as the teifling could not get them through the gate. He was no strongman and bending bars and lifting gates was not his idea of a good time. As he was formulating his response, the passionate female, Aphra, decided to go exploring. But she made sense. "Alright, give me some room. Perhaps the locking mechanism is rusted enough that it can be broken. Taking a few strides from the gate, he then took one large stride and aimed the flat of his other foot just a little off of where he thought the locking mechanism would be.

    ooc: 1d20(15)+3=18
    "It's not a game of Final Fantasy where you can step outside the plot for a bit and train up your stats, it's a potentially apocalyptic final chapter in an epic drama." - Brass Tiger Captain

  4. #84
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    O-H-I-O!
    Posts
    4,671

    Default

    Aphra moved through the stables with her sunrod leading the way. On her way to the offices she saw a glint of metal up high in the rafters above the stables. Her keen eyes spotted a shiny ring hanging from a nail in the rafters, about 15 feet up. Getting it would require some climbing, she thought. But for right now she continued on towards the offices. Most of the furniture had fallen apart, either through time or purposeful destruction. She approached the largest desk still standing and began rifling through the doors. She brushed aside dust and cobwebs and bits of weathered paper and found a large, rusted key.

    Aphra grabbed the key, a triumphant smirk on her face. As she stood back up she noticed small footprints in the dust. They didn't look anything like a dogs footprints. If anything they looked like clawed....baby footprints? She stared at them in puzzlement for a moment and a chill of cold rushed down her back. She saw her breath turn to mist in front of her. She looked around, but saw nothing that could be the cause of the sudden cold. And then it was gone.

    Prydewyld meanwhile struggled against the iron grate. It didn't budge. He got the feeling he could pull as hard as he could and couldn't open it. Rexus stepped up behind him, looking worried but knowing he wouldn't be of much help.

    OOC:
    Aphra see's a signet ring in the rafters that would need require a climb check to reach. She also finds a key in the office and small footprints. Prydewyld's strength check fails.
    Moderator

    Characters:
    -Loren Soth (LG Male Human Fighter 7/Paladin 3; Dragons on the River of Time)
    -Kadrien Soth (Zabrak Soldier 5/Jedi 2; Star Wars-Dawn of Defiance)
    -Victaria Grey (NG Female Cleric of Irori 5; Rise of the Runelords)


  5. #85
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Wild, Wonderful, West Virginia!
    Posts
    12,527

    Default

    Aphra backed out of the office trepidatiously, her heart a throbbing lump in her throat. She had sheathed her sword during her rummaging to pick up the key. She didn't now draw it. Whatever it was she had just experienced - a premonition, a ghost, some supernatural warning - no blade could surely cut. She continued stepping backwards until the light of her sunrod no longer brought illumination to the dusty offices, leaving them as dark and cold as she had just felt. Finally she turned and jogged back to the others. All could see she was a little unnerved. She tried to shake it off with a quick shake of her head and hair, as if shaking cobwebs from her mind.

    "Here, try this," she held up the key, tossing it to Pryde, "it might work better than your boot." She lobbed it to him for him to make an easy catch. She took a deep breath, hoping he and Jaem would be able to open the grate and their attention would be off her. She lingered near Rexus and Voltarus, but spoke just loud enough for all to hear. Her eyes were fixed on the now dark shadows the offices. Clearly something had rattled her previously unshakable boldness.

    "There's something back there." She hesitated. Those weren't the right words, if there were right words. "It's...haunted, or something. There are baby footprints in the dust of the offices. There is also something up in the rafters between here and the offices. A ring, I think. A clue perhaps. What would a ring be doing up in the rafters?"

    The woman was clearly spooked.

    "I could climb up and fetch the ring. Will someone come with me?"
    Last edited by Bong Bellowsmoke; 04-15-2017 at 03:28 PM.
    The Red Condor shrieked at Sir Darvig in full wrath. Wings flapped storms of fire across the sky. "The Mage-God grows in power swifter than it appears to Paladine. This I know. A warning," Sargonnas told Darvigl, "for you to give to Paladine in your prayers."

    “I will,” Darvig uttered.

  6. #86
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Akron, Ohio
    Posts
    5,491

    Default

    Jaem followed the rusty key tumbling end over end through the air. He turned his hip, and the long, prehensile devil-tail whipped out, snaking around the key and pulling it out of the air mid-flight. He inserted it into the lock and turned it, hoping it was a fit.
    Dragonlanceforums.com Moderater - To be one, ask one!

    Do you love the Dragonlace Forums? Do they provide you with hours of entertainment? Why not donate? Keep the hamsters running. Ask me how!

  7. #87
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ulgaard
    Posts
    1,794

    Default

    His foot was stopped cold but luckily, nothing but his pride as hurt. He was examining it again for a second go when Aphra returned. The inquisitor had been trained to notice subtle differences in people, and he noticed one in her. In short order produced the key and explained that something had spooked her. Seeing that Jaem had the key, the Page turned his attention back to Aphra. "The ring may be important. I will go with you."
    "It's not a game of Final Fantasy where you can step outside the plot for a bit and train up your stats, it's a potentially apocalyptic final chapter in an epic drama." - Brass Tiger Captain

  8. #88
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    O-H-I-O!
    Posts
    4,671

    Default

    The rusted key slid into the lock and with a bit of force Jaem managed to turn it. There was a loud click, and the iron grate slid open. The floor of the room beyond was stained a dark red. To their right what had once been a secret door hidden into a wall had decayed into almost nothing. The door stood half open on barely concealed hinges.

    Jaem made his way through the grate and into the room beyond, checking for traps all the way. The old workroom housed numerous old slaughterhouse tools, veterinary equipment, and woodworking tools, all of which are covered with a thick layer of dust through which strange tracks and patterns have been traced. Heavy mallets, crumbling ropes, and tools for restraining animals hang from pegs in the walls or sat atop leaning tables. To the southwest, a trap door was ajar, propped open by a block of wood.

    As Jaem begin to make his way, he felt a sudden chill. His breath froze in front of him and a small section of wall began to ooze a dark red liquid. He wasn't sure what was going on, but it was clearly unnatural.

    OOC:
    If you guys wanna grab the ring, just give me a climb check. One can do it while the other aids. Jaem opens the door and sees the secret room with an open trap door leading down.
    Moderator

    Characters:
    -Loren Soth (LG Male Human Fighter 7/Paladin 3; Dragons on the River of Time)
    -Kadrien Soth (Zabrak Soldier 5/Jedi 2; Star Wars-Dawn of Defiance)
    -Victaria Grey (NG Female Cleric of Irori 5; Rise of the Runelords)


  9. #89
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ulgaard
    Posts
    1,794

    Default

    The Page followed Aphra back to where she saw the ring. "Up you go." He said as he held out both hands in a cupping shape, indicating she was to use it as a step.

    ooc: aid to climb 1d20(20)+3=23
    "It's not a game of Final Fantasy where you can step outside the plot for a bit and train up your stats, it's a potentially apocalyptic final chapter in an epic drama." - Brass Tiger Captain

  10. #90
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Wild, Wonderful, West Virginia!
    Posts
    12,527

    Default

    Aphra blew her bangs from her eyes and took The Page's hoist gratefully, her fingers fetching the ring before being led a short hop down. "Down we are," she finished Pryde's hoist with spunk. Bringing the glowing gold tip of the sunrod to the ring, she held the ring in clear sight between the two to inspect together.

    "Ever seen a symbol or signet like this?"

    "Let's get back to the others," Aphra suddenly interrupted them, spooked again by something back in the dusty offices. "Voltarus and Rexus will want to see it too. Perhaps the signet ring belonged to one of noble birth," she added, beginning to walk back toward Jaem and the others whether The Page was coming or not. If he wanted to linger anywhere near the cold chill and the baby footprints in the dusty offices on his own that was his business.

    Aphra saw Jaem's success in opening the grate and saw just a glimpse of him departing to investigate before coming to Voltarus and Rexus.

    "Look. It's weird a ring like this would be in the rafters," Aphra continued, puzzled over the matter, but somehow thought it too strange an oddity to be overlooked. She held it up and lifted the sunrod near the ring so all could inspect it clearly.

    "Anyone recognize a clue who it might have belonged to? What if its connected to the Silver Ravens?" she wondered out loud with a sense of wonder. Being born and raised in the heart of the slums, it had never before been that Aphra had held a ring so fine.

    OOC
    Aid another DC 10 on our joint climb ring-retrieval d20+1= 20.
    Knowledge (local) on the signet ring on anything engraved in it or its inside/underside d20+7= 15.
    Last edited by Bong Bellowsmoke; 04-17-2017 at 07:51 PM.
    The Red Condor shrieked at Sir Darvig in full wrath. Wings flapped storms of fire across the sky. "The Mage-God grows in power swifter than it appears to Paladine. This I know. A warning," Sargonnas told Darvigl, "for you to give to Paladine in your prayers."

    “I will,” Darvig uttered.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •