Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 162

Thread: Hell's Rebels Part One: In Hell's Bright Shadow

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    O-H-I-O!
    Posts
    4,596

    Default Hell's Rebels Part One: In Hell's Bright Shadow

    Several Weeks Earlier:
    “Kintargo,” Her Infernal Majestrix, Queen Abrogail II of the Thrice-Damned House of Thrune said with disdain. She sat upon her throne, garbed in velvet and darkness. To her side, towering over even her raised dais was the Pit-Fiend, Gorthoklek. Before her, an advisor quivered, ringing his hands in obvious fear for his life. “The so-called ‘Glorious Reclamation’ openly defies me across my country, and you come here to talk to me about that backwater blight of a city?”

    “Yes, my lady,” the man said. The Pit-Fiend leered down at him. He tried to clear his throat. “We’ve always been a bit lax with the city, you know, seeing as it such a backwater. But as such, it’s particularly vulnerable to, uh, anti-Thrune sentiment. If dissidents were to gain control, it would be a significant blow not only monetarily in the amount of silver we extract and refine there, but it would also embolden the Glorious Reclamation and our enemies all across the country.” The man finished his sentence in a rush as if he were trying to get every word out before some punishment befell him. He looked up into the shadowed face of his Queen. She sat quite still, thinking for a long moment.

    “Very well,” she said finally, and the man gave a sigh of relief. “We shall need to tighten our grasp there. The Lord-Mayor has never been a friend of ours, he shall need to be replaced immediately.” She looked around, wondering who she could volunteer on such an unenviable mission.

    “I will go.”

    The words rang out among the dark room and a tall, muscled, and armored man stepped forward from the shadows. A silver symbol of Asmodeus rested on his barrel chest. “I shall go to Kintargo in your name, my Queen. I shall bring law and order and punish all who would plot against you. I beg you to grant me this….honor.” A sardonic smile twisted one side of his face.

    “Barzillai,” the Queen said, surprised. Her face narrowed as she searched for the trap. Her cousin was an ambitious man and it was not like him to volunteer for a task so far beneath him. She could think of no way this could hurt her, though, and she relished the thought of getting Barzillai out of the capital and her court. The man unsettled even her. “Very well,” she said finally. “Bring that wretched city to heel and you shall be rewarded, dear cousin. Do not fail me.”

    Kintargo, Present Day:


    Kintargo was in shock. The city had once been a hub of art, thought, and free speech. And though it had chaffed under Thrune rule most here were happy, content with their lax status as part of the empire that distance afforded them. They loved their Lord-Mayor, and their Opera house, and the clubs and bars across the city where poetry flowed as much as alcohol.

    Then the Night of Ashes brought an end to all of that.

    Barzillai Thrune entered Kintargo not with an army, but with spies and sabetours. The night of their arrival the Lord-Mayor disappeared and fires ravaged the city. Dozens of known gathering places for rabble-rousers, political and otherwise, burned to the ground. Often, their occupants were still inside. The non-state sponsored religious groups that had so far found Kintargo a welcome home suddenly found their leadership mysteriously murdered or disappeared completely. Those lucky enough to survive the night went underground, trying desperately to not draw attention to themselves.

    Thrune announced himself the new Lord-Mayor the next day. New laws soon came from the government, more restrictive than the city had ever known. A purge ran through the local city militia, the Dottari, and those unloyal to House Thrune quietly disappeared. The Hellknight Order of the Rack moved into the city, replacing the much beloved Order of the Torrent that was since declared heretical. With the heads of local leadership removed, Thrune had no organized resistance to his new regime.

    No organized resistance, but yet there was still resistance. Hundreds of people began to gather outside the famous Opera House where Thrune had moved in and closed down to the public. They gathered for dozens of different reasons, shouting varied slogans and indignant over many different wrongs. Barzillai was said to be announcing another one of his Proclamations soon, and the crowd was growing rowdier by the minute. A ring of guards stood around the Opera House, looking nervously at the growing crowd.

    A tiefling stood in the crowd, searching determinately for the man with one glove who might be able to give him answers and purpose. A young nobleman was there, cursed with a name and life lying ahead of him that he did not want. A tall, silent watchman was there, ready to fight for his God however he was needed. And a young women was there, full of rage and hatred for House Thrune and everything they stood for; everything they had taken from her.

    The Aria Park protest was beginning, but what it meant for the city of Kintargo was not yet clear.

    OOC:
    You all start off within the crowd surrounding the Opera House as part of the protest. For this opening part, there are a few specific actions you can choose from: Listen for Rumors, Pilfer, Rabble Rouse, Search for a Contact, Silence Undesirable Elements, or Watch the Crowd. You're free to choose one. I’ll go over each action better in the planner!
    Moderator

    Characters:
    -Loren Soth (LG Male Human Fighter 7/Paladin 3; Dragons on the River of Time)
    -Kadrien Soth (Zabrak Soldier 5/Jedi 2; Star Wars-Dawn of Defiance)
    -Victaria Grey (NG Female Cleric of Irori 5; Rise of the Runelords)


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Wild, Wonderful, West Virginia!
    Posts
    12,527

    Default

    Aphra burned like the heart of Asmodeus as she stalked the mobs of protestors she felt as one with in spirit. The young maiden had come from the heart of the slums of Kintargo, and the strangled city hurt the poor first. In a white blouse that accentuated her lovely bosom, covered with a vest and crude leathers, she also wore leather gauntlets that suggested she'd not hesitate to draw the sword that swaggered in its scabbard along her hip as she dodged protesters, children, farmers, guards. She was too hot to talk to anyone, yet. Her shoulder-length brown hair was straight, matching her brown eyes scanning. She saw where she wanted to go - where it was the loudest. A mob of protestors were venting their anger and shouting over top of each other and, sometimes at each other. Aphra strode in her high leather boots and made a beeline for them, bodily moving in roughly and shouting herself.

    "Stop fighting amongst yourselves you fools!" she tried to outshout even the loudest of the bunch. She shoved her way to the center, gauntlet even near the hilt of her sword as she glared around at the other protesters. Any who were angry as she was might know she was angry for the same reasons they were.

    "I'm fed-up! And I'm already fed-up with your infighting!" she outshouted everyone, throwing elbows to those who didn't give her room or attention. Aphra vehemently rallied her fellow citizens.

    "Kintargo demands local rule and independence! You," she looked over at the economic conservatives. "If you think Thrune is squeezing the life out of you now, come sleep in the slums for a night! And foresee your own near future!" Silence replaced their shouting. "No legal action was taken by House Thrune," she cried, red in the face, eyes darting in the direction of the Opera House, "and we demand democracy! The Lord-Mayor will fall, by my sword if none other!"

    Suddenly she drew its long blade, as a group of advocates for democracy shut their traps. "What kind of Lord-Mayor takes up in an Opera House! Is it so funny?! Does this Balzillai Thrune duel with the trombone?!" she hurled at others. "He does not sound like the sort of man who can wield a sword, or is any stronger than I!"

    "Citizens of Kintargo! Take up arms! Hide your children and pick up your hammers and skillets and revolt! The city guard...they are torn between their families and their own lives! But they are like us, they feel like us! They will only be swayed to our side by our own conviction! By our own riot! RIOT!!" she hurled at the anarchists. Aphra heaved breaths at her hotly-flushed cheeks in the wake of her yell. "Riot at the House of Thrune! And the Church of Asmodeus! Slay any cleric of Asmodeus on sight! Poison their sleep! Raze their temple to the ground!" As she rallied the shouting anarchists she paused again silently a moment, a single tear running down her cheek. She did not speak of her family, but had been jolted by recent memory and loss.

    Aphra Pesara raised her unsheathed sword to the sky in a gesture of death or glory. She looked with dangerous warning over at the Chelish loyalists, her simple brown cloak furling.

    "We citizens dissent! Any loyalist stand aside in the liberation of Kintargo, or be counted amongst the enemy!"

    OOC
    Silence Undesirable Elements: With five distinct factions among the protesters, the message delivered is a jumbled mess. Characters can try to silence or outshout elements of the crowd they disagree with with a Bluff or Intimidate check.
    Intimidate d20(14)+8= 22.
    Last edited by Bong Bellowsmoke; 02-21-2017 at 03:32 PM.
    The Red Condor shrieked at Sir Darvig in full wrath. Wings flapped storms of fire across the sky. "The Mage-God grows in power swifter than it appears to Paladine. This I know. A warning," Sargonnas told Darvigl, "for you to give to Paladine in your prayers."

    “I will,” Darvig uttered.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    O-H-I-O!
    Posts
    4,596

    Default

    Aphra moved among the protest like a storm, sweeping others along into her wake. Everywhere she moved she saw heads nodding as she spoke. Her chants were carried up and echoed throughout the gathering. When she unsheathed her steel, a powerful cheer went up amongst the crowd. A Pro-Thrune supporter a few feat from Aphra blanched and quickly turned tail and scurried as far away as possible. Others seemed to follow. The protesters laughed.

    "We stand for a Free Kintargo!" the crowd roared to their backs.

    OOC:
    Intimidate check successful! The loyalist faction has been silenced for the remainder of the protest. Some locals have taken note of Aphra's leadership. When you guys get the rebellion up and running you will start with an extra 1d6 +1 supporters:(3) +1= 4 supporters.
    Moderator

    Characters:
    -Loren Soth (LG Male Human Fighter 7/Paladin 3; Dragons on the River of Time)
    -Kadrien Soth (Zabrak Soldier 5/Jedi 2; Star Wars-Dawn of Defiance)
    -Victaria Grey (NG Female Cleric of Irori 5; Rise of the Runelords)


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ulgaard
    Posts
    1,721

    Default

    The Page paid his debt, shouldered all of his possessions, and quietly walked into the Kintargo day light. For the past few week, since the Night of Ashes, he had moved around. Not daring to stay in one spot for too long. He rationalized that he was too paranoid and not important enough to catch Barzillai. But then the letter came. It have been the first in over a year. He had not lost faith others would come, but he did start to wonder about the urgency of his mission. It seemed that Barzillai's intervention into Kintargo had been the spark needed to light the fire of those that watched him. He vowed to to not let them down.

    He steadily made his way into the park, the crowds that were forming there split like water around a rock as he shouldered by. Finding a good vantage point to watch the protest he stood for a moment, trying to get a sense of the crowd. He felt something brush his leg and he bent down to see what the object was. Before flipping it over to read its contents he started to hear Chelish loyalists yelling their support for the city's oppressor. The page new that not all of them were destined for damnation, some just wanted order, the end justifying the mean. It took all of his will power to not openly oppose them and to call out their gaps in understanding. His jaw clenched as he stifled his desire to call down judgement upon them. That day would come soon enough, for now he was to watch and form alliances, as the letter told him to. He turned the paper over, things were about to get interesting:



    ooc: going with the Watch the Crowd option with sense motive. 1d20(18)+9=27
    "It's not a game of Final Fantasy where you can step outside the plot for a bit and train up your stats, it's a potentially apocalyptic final chapter in an epic drama." - Brass Tiger Captain

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Akron, Ohio
    Posts
    5,407

    Default

    Jaem picked his way down the street, his whip tail dancing beneath the long cloak he wore to drive off the morning chill. The mysterious potion and note from the Rose of Kintargo was stowed in a belt pouch. His hand strayed to the hanging leather bag. Reassured of its presence, the tiefling rested his palm on the pommel of one of the matched set of short stabbing blades on his waist.

    He heard the fracas going on in the park long before he saw it for himself. When he finally turned through the open gate into Aria Park, he couldn't believe his eyes. The protest was in full swing, and the park was a messy nest of tangled voices raised in a cart wreck of dissent and support. How he would find the mysterious stranger calling themself the Rose of Kintargo, he didn't know. Jaem skirted the edge of the crowd, scanning. He watched a young woman with naked blade delivering a rousing speech.

    could that be her? No, the gloves are wrong.


    He thought. He had done too much work, paid too much silver, waited far too long to be disappointed now. His contact had to be here. Jaem renewed his efforts, stalking the perimeter of the mob, eyes darting from one set of hands to the next.

    OOC: Jaem will Look for a Contact with a Perception check - 1d20(15)+5=20. Phew.
    Dragonlanceforums.com Moderater - To be one, ask one!

    Do you love the Dragonlace Forums? Do they provide you with hours of entertainment? Why not donate? Keep the hamsters running. Ask me how!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    O-H-I-O!
    Posts
    4,596

    Default

    Jaem and The Page entered the protest from opposite ends of the park. They both kept their eyes open, though for different reasons. Jaem was out to find one person, the man or women with only one glove. All his hopes rested on finding them. The Page, meanwhile, was keeping an eye open for anything. Any person could be a future ally or enemy to his cause.

    Though they were looking for different things, the two men came upon the same conclusion. There was a something off about the protest. Some strange undercurrent of organization that had seemed to not yet make itself manifest. Men were scattered throughout the crowd wearing similar red bandannas around their necks. They were all the most boisterous members in attendance, spurring others to action. Neither could put their finger on what unnerved them, but something felt wrong.

    Jaem failed to spot his contact, for once cursing the amount of people here to protest Thrune.

    OOC:
    The Page spots something strange going on with the crowd. You will receive a +4 bonus on your next initiative check.

    Jaem fails to spot his contact, but does notice the same strangeness in the crowd. You will receive a +4 bonus on your next initiative check.
    Moderator

    Characters:
    -Loren Soth (LG Male Human Fighter 7/Paladin 3; Dragons on the River of Time)
    -Kadrien Soth (Zabrak Soldier 5/Jedi 2; Star Wars-Dawn of Defiance)
    -Victaria Grey (NG Female Cleric of Irori 5; Rise of the Runelords)


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ulgaard
    Posts
    1,721

    Default

    The world was full of patterns and The Page loved them since he was a small boy. The church bells were one of his favorite pattern mysteries but their seemingly random tollings were far from his mind this day. Today he saw patterns all around him, the most stark was the red bandanas. If he had seen the pattern, surely the powers that were watching had seen it too. He wondered for a moment if the bandanas were Chelish instigators, hired by Barzillai to give him a reason to crush a nascent rebellion. The pieces swirled in his mind before he decided he could no longer watch. At least one person of interest had revealed herself, a young human woman that was both shouting down loyalists and whipping the opposition into a frenzy. He watched the red bandanas a moment more, gauging whether they were converging on the young woman or not, before starting to move towards her himself.

    ooc: this post can hold until my next turn.
    ooc: watch the crowd: 1d20(12)+9=21
    Last edited by elder; 02-21-2017 at 03:13 AM.
    "It's not a game of Final Fantasy where you can step outside the plot for a bit and train up your stats, it's a potentially apocalyptic final chapter in an epic drama." - Brass Tiger Captain

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Any jail cell of your local town
    Posts
    4,319

    Default

    Voltarus knew he had to go the protest, the Thrune had sent one of their own into Kintargo and the changes were immediate. The beloved Lord mayor had gone missing and stricter laws were being enforced by the Hell Knights. He knew his family would be protected but who was going to protect the rest of the city? Who would look out for the small folk and working class of Kintargo. He would find out at the protest, he couldn't stand by and watch this oppression any longer. Before leaving he took a quick look around his manor in case he could find something of use, just in case he wasn't allowed back. In his father's office he found a kit full of different inks, pens, some official seals and official letterhead. It piqued his interest so he gathered it up and took it along. He opened the door and hesitated for a moment, this was perhaps the last time he would set foot in his home but he had to go. His voice and many others had to be heard. He took a deep breath and stepped out side to possibly start a new chapter in his young life.

    When he got to the park things were in full swing around the opera house. He hoped it would stay peaceful, last thing these people needed was for the Hell Knights to get involved. There was a young woman who seemed to be creating quite a stir with her words. Words like riot and kill echoed through the crowd. This isn't what they needed, sure they had to show they're resisting this change of regime but murder and rioting... it sounded too unreal. Voltarus wanted to stand up and say so... they couldn't become what they hate and if they did they were no better than the Thrunes. But, would they listen to him, one of noble blood? These men and women despise his family and several others of the elite social class. He had to say something though he couldn't let these people walk down a path of evil like his own family.

    He made his way towards the boisterous young lady and held up his hand, now was the time to see if they would listen to a Sarini or not. "Citizens of Kintargo, I am Voltarus Sarini and I stand with you all in this. I know it is hard to believe that a noble born would be here but I love this city and hate what the Thrune's are doing to it. This woman is right...and wrong. We do have to take a stand but we cannot give into temptation of murder and rioting. That only hurts our cause. We want to show solidarity not tear our city apart. I will not stand to have our own looting and tearing down our neighbors while the Thrune's just watch and laugh while we do their work for them. No, we must stand tall, we must become one with each other and raise awareness to the rest of the city. I know most of you have been oppressed by the Thrune's and the church more than others but that is no reason to promote murder. We must show them we are not like them, we are the free men and women of Kintargo and we plan to remain that way!" He hoped they were listening, this young lass was fairly convincing and he sure that she had been more than wronged by the Thrune's and Asmodeans. He leaned closer to the young woman and whispered in her ear so only she could hear. "Young lady, I can see you're angry, we all are. But I'm sure there are other eyes in this crowd taking notes. You don't want to be a martyr, you have the ability to be a leader. Don't let the church or the Thrunes end that before you get a chance to begin." He hoped this firecracker heard his words but Voltarus could see her blood was up and might have a hard time coming to grips with her emotions.

    OOC: Voltarus will Rabble Rouse: Persuasive characters may want to better organize the protest by attempting a Diplomacy or Perform check.

    Diplomacy check 1d20(18)+10= 28
    Last edited by Spasseltock Nimblefingers; 02-19-2017 at 01:18 PM.
    Spasseltock Nimblefingers kender CN (with good tendencies) Rogue/13, Handler/ 8
    Shayle Wist'lya Bothan Noble 3/Scoundrel 1/Scout 3/Infiltrator 2 Star Wars: Dawn of Defiance
    Evelyn Morningory Aasimar Warpriest of Sarenrae 2 Wrath of the Righteous
    Virgil Halard Human Ranger 4/Fighter 2/Rogue 2/Knight of the Lily 1 Hourglass in the Sky

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    O-H-I-O!
    Posts
    4,596

    Default

    Voltarus addressed the energetic woman directly, and he was almost surprised to see so many in the crowd seem to agree with him. Many heads nodded and he saw his words being carried beyond the sound of his voice as it was repeated again and again. Though he couldn't explain, he felt a certain deference being given to him by the crowd. They seemed to part before him and give him more room to speak.

    Meanwhile, the protest continued around them all as the crowd grew larger and larger. It wasn't clear what exactly they were waiting for, but all assembled knew that something was coming.

    OOC:
    Voltarus diplomacy check succeeds. He received a +1 bonus on all charisma based skill checks for 24 hours, and moving through the crowd will no longer be counted as difficult terrain.

    We have another round with the same actions: Listen for Rumors, Pilfer, Rabble Rouse, Search for a Contact, Silence Undesirable Elements, or Watch the Crowd. Note that the Loyalists can't be silenced again.
    Moderator

    Characters:
    -Loren Soth (LG Male Human Fighter 7/Paladin 3; Dragons on the River of Time)
    -Kadrien Soth (Zabrak Soldier 5/Jedi 2; Star Wars-Dawn of Defiance)
    -Victaria Grey (NG Female Cleric of Irori 5; Rise of the Runelords)


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Any jail cell of your local town
    Posts
    4,319

    Default

    Voltarus was amazed at the respect the crowd seemed to give him. He didn't expect that and the young lady was still here too. Perhaps his words did reach her or she's just too stunned to talk and will stab the him in the back once she regained her senses. Perhaps he shouldcontinue to move along. He started to leave when he caught wind of some of the crowd continuing to insist on rioting. Their behavior was like a cancer one that would spread and then doom this protest from the inside. He walked towards them, the crowd seemingly moved when Voltarus walked. He pointed his finger and the group. "YOU THERE!" He shouted towards them. "No more of that talk or I'll report you to the militia myself. Or, maybe I'll inform the newly appointed hellknights who started the riot... if it starts. I'm sure they'll want to know who woud incite such a thing! We will not retaliate in such a way, there are better ways than destroying your neighbors business or home just because you feel slighted. We will march and organize and then the Thrune's will see who they're dealing with. No more talk about riots or I will personally cut out your tongues!" He said tapping the pommel of his dagger. He knew he couldn't follow through with his threat but they didn't,


    OOC: Voltarus will Silence Undesirable Elements: With five distinct factions among the protesters, the message delivered is a jumbled mess. Characters can try to silence or outshout elements of the crowd they disagree with with a Bluff or Intimidate check. anarchists (who hope the protest turns into a good riot)

    Bluff check vs. the anarchists. 1d20(11)+10+1= 22
    Last edited by Spasseltock Nimblefingers; 02-22-2017 at 11:43 PM.
    Spasseltock Nimblefingers kender CN (with good tendencies) Rogue/13, Handler/ 8
    Shayle Wist'lya Bothan Noble 3/Scoundrel 1/Scout 3/Infiltrator 2 Star Wars: Dawn of Defiance
    Evelyn Morningory Aasimar Warpriest of Sarenrae 2 Wrath of the Righteous
    Virgil Halard Human Ranger 4/Fighter 2/Rogue 2/Knight of the Lily 1 Hourglass in the Sky

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •