Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 246

Thread: Hell's Rebels Part One: In Hell's Bright Shadow

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    O-H-I-O!
    Posts
    4,658

    Default

    The crowd pushed back against the Dottari's advance but their bravery held out for only so long. The doors of the Opera House burst open and Nox stormed out. Behind her were dozens more Dottari, but the beast at her side was what really sent fear through the crowd. She held in one hand a metal leash tied to the collar on a massive, redish brown dog with eyes that burned with the fires of Hell. Voltarus recognized it immediately as a Hellhound. A dangerous, unnatural beast that was a common servant of stronger of outsiders or worshipers of Asmodeus. It was a common saying in his family that all those who broke a contract would eventually find themselves hunted by a pack of the beasts and dragged down to Hell. The thing howled and a burst of flame soared out over the crowd. Terrified protesters screamed and ran and trampled each other to get away. Nox showed no emotion. "Remember, dead ones are extra paperwork," they could hear her shout to the Dottari spreading out among the crowd. The protest was over; now there was only chaos.

    Luckily, Voltarus, Aphra, Jaem, and the Page were all towards the back of the crowd. Recognizing each others skill and knowing they had much to discuss, they quickly and efficiently picked a path to escape. In the confusion of the crackdown on the protest, they had no trouble at all in vanishing from the scene. Jaem took the lead throug the city streets, following the path his contact had taken. They just needed somewhere safe to lie low for a moment or two and catch their breath.

    While on their way to a possible safehouse, Jaem heard a commotion down a side alley looked around. He was greeted by a strange scene that made him pause. Four of the Chelish Citizens Group with the red bandannas were laying unconscious on the ground, while five more seemed to be beating a man almost to death. Though it was hard to tell, Jaem thought it was possible the unfortunate man was his contact he had seen moments ago, the man with one glove. "This doesn't concern you," one of them said, turning and seeing the group at the mouth of the alleyway. "Yeah, official business," said another with a hearty laugh as he stomped on the now unconscious mans face. The two groups stared at each other, wondering who would act first.

    OOC:
    Reinforcements arrive at the park, and the crowd begins to disperse. Voltarus Knowledge (planes):(12) + 9=21. Recognizes the Hellhound, knows it breaths fire and has a weakness to cold. You guys all manage to escape the protest successfully.

    Perceptions: Jaem= 20; Page= 13; Aphra= 9; Volatarus= 16. Jaem succeeds, hears the commotion in the alley.

    Initiative! Group:(20) +5= 25. This is ridiculous! Second twenty on initiative for you guys. Thugs:(6) +0= 6.

    You guys are up!

    Code:
    . . . . |. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    . . . . |. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    . . . . |. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    . . . . |. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    . . . . | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    . . . A.J. . . . . . . . .1.3.4. . .x. .. . . . .
    . . . V.P. . . . . . . . .2.U.5. .x.x.x. . . . . .
    . . . . |. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    . . . . |. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    . . . . |. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    . . . . |. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    A= Aphra; V=Voltarus; J=Jaem; P=Page
    1-5= Chelish Citizens Group; x=unconscious Chelish Citizens Group;
    U=unknown man
    Last edited by jake; 03-19-2017 at 09:34 PM.
    Moderator

    Characters:
    -Loren Soth (LG Male Human Fighter 7/Paladin 3; Dragons on the River of Time)
    -Kadrien Soth (Zabrak Soldier 5/Jedi 2; Star Wars-Dawn of Defiance)
    -Victaria Grey (NG Female Cleric of Irori 5; Rise of the Runelords)


  2. #32
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Akron, Ohio
    Posts
    5,463

    Default

    Blades in hand, Jaem rushed the thugs. He had come too close to give up now, and if this man was the Rose of Kintargo, Jaem needed his help. His booted feet slapped the cobbles hard, and a low growl bubbled up out of the Tiefling's throat as he raised his blades.

    OOC: Assuming I'm still armed with both my swords, I'll take a Standard action to charge thug #1 - 1d20(14)+4=18+2 (charge)=20. Damage: 1d6(2)+1=3. Assuming they're flat-footed, since they haven't yet acted in Combat, +1d6(5) sneak attack =8 damage.

    -2 to AC for one round.
    Dragonlanceforums.com Moderater - To be one, ask one!

    Do you love the Dragonlace Forums? Do they provide you with hours of entertainment? Why not donate? Keep the hamsters running. Ask me how!

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    O-H-I-O!
    Posts
    4,658

    Default

    Jaem closed the distance like a flash, his momentum carrying his short sword into a deadly thrust. His military service may have been some time ago, but he would never forgot the art of killing. The thugs grin quickly evaporated as Jaem's sword sank into his flesh. The tiefling pulled it out with a flourish, surprised to see the man standing, but barely. The others simply gaped at him for the moment. They weren't used to people fighting back.

    OOC:
    Jaem moves and hits #1 for 8 damage. Just a heads up that's it not a surprise round, you all have a full round.

    Code:
    . . . . |. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    . . . . |. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    . . . . |. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    . . . . |. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    . . . . | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    . . . A. . . . . . . . .J.1.3.4. . .x. .. . . . .
    . . . V.P. . . . . . . . .2.U.5. .x.x.x. . . . . .
    . . . . |. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    . . . . |. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    . . . . |. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    . . . . |. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    A= Aphra; V=Voltarus; J=Jaem; P=Page
    1-5= Chelish Citizens Group; x=unconscious Chelish Citizens Group;
    U=unknown man
    Moderator

    Characters:
    -Loren Soth (LG Male Human Fighter 7/Paladin 3; Dragons on the River of Time)
    -Kadrien Soth (Zabrak Soldier 5/Jedi 2; Star Wars-Dawn of Defiance)
    -Victaria Grey (NG Female Cleric of Irori 5; Rise of the Runelords)


  4. #34
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ulgaard
    Posts
    1,772

    Default

    Feeling like he had no choice but to repay the tiefling for help rendered earlier, the Page charged into combat, leading with his sword.

    ooc: Longsword: +3+2, 1d8+3 (19-20x2) against 2
    1d20(15+5)=20 dmg 1d8(5)+3=8
    "It's not a game of Final Fantasy where you can step outside the plot for a bit and train up your stats, it's a potentially apocalyptic final chapter in an epic drama." - Brass Tiger Captain

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Wild, Wonderful, West Virginia!
    Posts
    12,527

    Default

    Aphra heaved to a halt with Voltarus who'd she followed through the chaos. During their flight, it seemed Voltarus in front of her seemed to be trailing two others. In the panic of the streets of Kintargo, Aphra got a good look at neither. But it was becoming more obvious he was following them. Perhaps he knew them. It was more red bandannas she saw, when one of the protesters Voltarus followed darted sharply into an alley. The other had stopped with she and Voltarus. She took a quick glance at him - in fact, she had to look quite upwards to see his face, quite tall was he. The sun shadowed by his wide brimmed hat, she saw little but a scarred lip of a dark man. He was armored in steel and carried a sword, as well as a spear.

    The leader of the flight from the opera house had come back into view at Aphra's abrupt halt from running. She saw he held a small sword in each hand and wore nothing much more than a dingy leather backpack as he rushed aggressively at the red bandannas and someone they were abusing. She hadn't seen his face clearly, but had caught a blur of violet, or red. She saw he had horns. He was a tiefling. She knew little of them, except most worshipped Asmodeus - she had heard in the heart of the slums.

    "Why not let them kill each other first so their numbers are dwindled," Aphra strategized out loud to Voltarus, bustling to stow away the light mace she carried, putting both gauntleted hands on the grip of her sword, raising it for when she needed it. "Whoever's left, if they can't, I'll take care of them with my sword," she murmured low with vengeance in her tone when the tiefling drew first blood in a charging stab. She thought of her family.

    "Many innocents are being murdered back at the opera house...because of me," she uttered confessionally, as if unstable at the realization. "I'd rather not kill again today, if that's alright," she said breathlessly. There was a quiver in her voice.

    Red bandannas. They're not people. They're just red bandannas, she thought over and over again, determined to see Voltarus live though this day.

    OOC
    move stow light mace.
    standard ready an action to swing at anything that threatens she or Voltarus.
    Last edited by Bong Bellowsmoke; 03-21-2017 at 04:53 AM.
    The Red Condor shrieked at Sir Darvig in full wrath. Wings flapped storms of fire across the sky. "The Mage-God grows in power swifter than it appears to Paladine. This I know. A warning," Sargonnas told Darvigl, "for you to give to Paladine in your prayers."

    “I will,” Darvig uttered.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Any jail cell of your local town
    Posts
    4,363

    Default

    Voltarus felt for the young woman as he put a reassuring hand on her shoulder. "People were going to die whether you stuck first or not. That's how they rule... by fear, making examples of people so the rest fall in line. If anything you showed them we will stand tall and not take it anymore." He looked down the alleyway after the two they were following. "We have to help them, we can't let them fight alone. They're with us, through thick and thin. But... not everyone has to die, I have my own way. Just follow me." He said with a wink as he turned to follow the man in the hat. He began weaving the same spell he used earlier and maybe give Aphra some hope that even enemies don't have to die or be cut down to be taken out of the fight.

    OOC: Talking as a free action

    Move 6 squares E and cast Cause fear on #3

    Will save or be frightened for 1d4 rounds, if makes save just shaken for 1 round.

    If fails 1d4= 4 rounds frightened.
    Spasseltock Nimblefingers kender CN (with good tendencies) Rogue/13, Handler/ 8
    Shayle Wist'lya Bothan Noble 3/Scoundrel 1/Scout 3/Infiltrator 2 Star Wars: Dawn of Defiance
    Evelyn Morningory Aasimar Warpriest of Sarenrae 2 Wrath of the Righteous
    Virgil Halard Human Ranger 4/Fighter 2/Rogue 2/Knight of the Lily 1 Hourglass in the Sky

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    O-H-I-O!
    Posts
    4,658

    Default

    Jaem and the Page moved swiftly and in tandem, although they barely knew each other. Both their blades struck true, causing the two thugs in front of them to seriously reconsider their choices. They ran, pushing aside their comrades and leaving a trail of blood in their wake. Voltarus, meanwhile, relied on his spellcasting to once again overcome the feeble minds of these ruffians. Another thug broke of from the group, babbling incoherently about needing to get away. The two that remained looked at each other in panic, suddenly outnumbered and very uncomfortable with that fact. They gave one last dirty look before hightailing it out of the alley.

    It had only taken a few seconds. Now they were alone in the alley except for the unconscious man with one glove and four more unconscious members of the Chelish Citizens Group. The one gloved man stirred feebly, perhaps waking up.

    OOC:
    Page hits for 8 damage.

    #3 Will save vs Cause Fear:(15) -1- 14. Fails. is Frightened for 4 rounds.

    #1,#2, and #3 all withdraw, leaving #4 and #5 alone, who also withdraw. Good job guys, combat over!
    Moderator

    Characters:
    -Loren Soth (LG Male Human Fighter 7/Paladin 3; Dragons on the River of Time)
    -Kadrien Soth (Zabrak Soldier 5/Jedi 2; Star Wars-Dawn of Defiance)
    -Victaria Grey (NG Female Cleric of Irori 5; Rise of the Runelords)


  8. #38
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Akron, Ohio
    Posts
    5,463

    Default

    Jaem cleaned his blade, slipping both of the stabbing swords back into their scabbards at his belt. He faced the one-gloved man, shoulders squared, eyes burning determination. His long hours of work culminated in this moment. "Are you the Rose of Kintargo?" He asked. His tail snaked to a pouch on his belt, lifting the potion bottle that had been left at his flat.
    Dragonlanceforums.com Moderater - To be one, ask one!

    Do you love the Dragonlace Forums? Do they provide you with hours of entertainment? Why not donate? Keep the hamsters running. Ask me how!

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    O-H-I-O!
    Posts
    4,658

    Default

    The man, barely conscious on the ground, looked up at Jaem. Most of his face was quickly becoming a purple bruise and he had lost multiple teeth. "The...what? Rose? No...please...potion." He looked desperately at the potion held in Jaem's hand, assuming its contents.
    Moderator

    Characters:
    -Loren Soth (LG Male Human Fighter 7/Paladin 3; Dragons on the River of Time)
    -Kadrien Soth (Zabrak Soldier 5/Jedi 2; Star Wars-Dawn of Defiance)
    -Victaria Grey (NG Female Cleric of Irori 5; Rise of the Runelords)


  10. #40
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ulgaard
    Posts
    1,772

    Default

    The Page had seen enough. "Let's go. This man has nothing for you." He kept on eye on the other end of the alley, just in case the bandanas came back or brought more help.
    "It's not a game of Final Fantasy where you can step outside the plot for a bit and train up your stats, it's a potentially apocalyptic final chapter in an epic drama." - Brass Tiger Captain

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •