Thread: Signed first edition of Dragons of Autumn Twilight

Default Signed first edition of Dragons of Autumn Twilight

Hey all! So, about 12 years ago a college professor of mine saw me reading a DL book before class. The next day he gifted me a first edition copy of "Dragons of Autumn Twilight". The book is in very good condition and signed by M.W. and the cover artist Elmore. It is of course a prized possession and I would never sell it. I am however curious as to how much it is worth? I have searched the internet for similar sold and for sale copies, but have found nothing. I can't even find a first edition of the book for sale anywhere. Does anyone know how much it might be worth? My curiosity is killing me! Thanks in advance for any info.

First editions of this book are actually very common. You can find them all the time at Half Price Books. They are common and cheap on the Internet; the problem is that the stock image used on many sites features the 1990s cover art (Tanis and Goldmoon only) rather than the original 1984 cover art (Tanis, Goldmoon, and Sturm; red border). They share the same ISBN (0880381736), so, you have to contact the seller to find out which it is.

If it’s a true first printing (1-10 all showing on the number line on the copyright page), and in near fine condition, then it might be worth real money, and the signatures of course only improve its value. I’d say such a copy would be worth at least $25.

Thank you for the info Falconer! I have noticed a lot of sites that say first edition but the cover art is wrong. It is a real first edition though, so yay!

Here's a good explanation from Abe Books:

We venture to say that no other piece of terminology has caused so much contention among booksellers and collectors as that of first edition. In publishing terms, an edition is technically all copies of a book that were printed from the same setting of type and the book is only described as a second edition if substantial changes are made to the copy. However, in collecting terms, a very rough description of first edition would be when it is the first appearance of a work in question.

To shed a little more light, the first time a publisher releases a new book all copies of that book that are printed without major changes can be considered a first edition. If the initial print run of this first edition sells out and the publisher decides to produce a subsequent printing with the same typeset the book would be described as a first edition, second printing. On the other hand, if substantial changes are made to the book after its first printing, perhaps the addition of a chapter or a foreword, then the book would be described as the second edition.

To make matters more confusing, each time a new publisher releases an instance of the same title or a book is released in another format they may also describe their book as a first edition (for instance, the Penguin Classics first edition or the first paperback edition). It is common to see booksellers describe these later first editions as a ‘first edition thus.’

Queen of Darkness, that is a little confusing. it would be nice if the term "first edition" exclusively applied to the first printing of a book. Thanks for the clarification, I'll have to look at my copy more closely and see if it has anything that would make it a second printing, etc... It've never gone through the book thoroughly, I have always read my own copy (which is practically falling apart now lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymeria View Post
    Thank you for the info Falconer! I have noticed a lot of sites that say first edition but the cover art is wrong.
    The first edition and second edition share the same ISBN, so, if someone lists their first edition copy but doesn’t upload their own photo, it will just show the stock photo, which is of the second edition.

Pictures have been posted in other threads of the copyright page of the first printing of Dragons of Autumn Twilight. On the copyright page, you will find the words: First Printing, November, 1984. 30,000 copies were printed, which sounds like a lot, but it was actually the smallest press run TSR could order! (They didn't think it would sell.)

Margaret

Thank you! Guess they were wrong about how many would sell lol. I'll look for some of those pictures too. I feel like such a dope , I didn't realize that the Margaret Weis was answering me. Again, thank you for answering my question! I actually named my youngest son Raistlin, definitely my favorite character. It is so awesome that you reply to your fans
    -Shamina
    Last edited by Nymeria; 01-15-2017 at 09:25 AM.

Always a pleasure! Tell your son I said "hi".

Margaret