Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rogue's Pathfinder Price of Courage Journal

Very curious decision for earthquake in an enclosed structure. I think you handled it appropriately.
    "It's not a game of Final Fantasy where you can step outside the plot for a bit and train up your stats, it's a potentially apocalyptic final chapter in an epic drama." - Brass Tiger Captain

I have kicked the can on this for too long. Expect updates in the next few days.
    -Dragonlance Nexus Social Media Manager-
    GM - ICRP: Star Wars - Dawn of Defiance

Hooray!
    Head Moderator &
    Member of the Whitestone Council

"Hey look! I'm the Code of Conduct! Check me out!" -The Code of Conduct

Default Session 5

It’s been three months. I know there aren’t many readers of this journal, but I have good reason to delay. During the session one of my player’s and I disagreed on something. I won’t dramatize the issue through the journal, but I will definitely touch upon it because it impacted the game. As you may know, we record the entire session and I listen to for the write-up. To be honest, I haven’t wanted to relive the moment where I lose a player who’s been with the game since 2010. But hey, life is life. I’m not going to sugarcoat. We fail and move forward from there. So now I am catching up. Session 6 is already in the can, and Session 7 is scheduled for July 8th, so I am going to endeavor to get everything up as quickly as possible. Without further ado, here we go.

The party began the session in the Grand Gallery. While there, Gygax healed everyone and the others explored the three-level room, noticing different lifelike portraits from locations around Ansalon. It dawned on them that each portrait was a portal of sorts, as they had stepped through from the Lyceum in Kalaman. The others correlated that each portrait matched the map they acquired from Merkane’s. It was during this time that Lya felt the turbulent emotions of a metallic dragon not far off. She could not pinpoint it, but through her Dragonsinger empathic link, fear and frustration echoed from somewhere deeper in Bastion.

They made their way down to the bottom floor, agreeing to search the White Ternion first. Stepping on the white circle, all found teleportation into an austere white-lined study full of plain wooden tables, chairs and bookshelves that dominated most of the room. Mirrors along the walls placed an illusion that the room was bigger than its actual size. There were three sets of doors, two of which led out to the Outer Ternion, and another set leading inward. Inspecting the room, they found nothing of value other than a very highly polished Vallenwood cloak rack. On a whim, Ellinghad cast a Detect Magic cantrip, and the rack faintly radiated an odd combination of every school. The party resolved to take the rack, putting it in a Bag of Holding. \_(ツ)_/ They proceeded to the doors leading farther into the Ternion. That opened into a long hallway with doors on each side.

They searched each room, finding dormitories, offices, a laboratory and a library. There was also a protected balcony that looked out into the Gray. In the middle of it was an empty pedestal. It took time carefully searching each room, but I won’t bore you all with the details. It was in the library where most of the interesting things occurred. In the library, they found shelves of magical books behind magically reinforced glass. Ellinghad instinctively knew the shelves to be trapped and protected. I pulled him aside to share the information that only a White Robe would be able to access the shelves safely. As Dan warned the rest of the group of this information, Matt (Hyphen the kender) said it’s too late he already touched it and was putting the books in his Haversack.

This is where things got a little dicey. I told him he couldn’t just take the books and that there was a trap. He responded that he wasn’t worried about it and he could disarm it anyway. We went back and forth a bit on this. He rolled an incredibly high Disable Device check of 52 to unlock, successful as always. But there was still the trap. I admittedly hesitated, but set off the trap anyway, a Prismatic Wall. The first flash went off, but no one was blinded due to being over 8 HD. Hyphen also evaded a burst of flame that came off the wall. On successful Spellcraft checks, the group determined that one of seven layers of the Prismatic Wall was dispelled, leaving six more. I warned that further tampering of the trap set off the other layers, which became deadlier each time.

Ellinghad again warned, saying it’s just wizard books that wouldn’t interest anyone here. Hyphen insisted the books had to be worth something. Ellinghad then explained in RP terms what a library that facilitated the Tower Resources mechanic did. Hyphen still insisted that they could sell the books. Ellinghad and Hyphen (player and characters) started disagreeing on that item. I did my best not to take sides, but even I was getting a bit annoyed how this topic was completely derailing the gaming session. It came to a point of disruption where Matt started rolling dice indeterminately saying he made all the saves, but rolled them so quickly there was no way to track it. Statistically speaking there was room for failure, but I was being blown off. I again called Dan over to give him more information about the spell to possibly aid Hyphen. Regardless, the whole exchange ended abruptly with Matt giving up on the Prismatic Wall. That took about 30 minutes.

They decided to again continue searching, spending time in the arcane laboratory. While there the party found perfect for crafting magical items, and spells of the Divination and Abjuration schools were automatically Extended or Empowered. On a thorough search, they found a summoning circle that appeared to be broken, with scorch marks around the area. Lya also found a locked white pine box, about a foot square in dimension. It was locked, but held no magical traps. Hyphen announced he would not aid in unlocking the box. Ellinghad cast a Knock spell, successfully gaining access. Inside was a white-glowing globe. On a 36 Knowledge Arcana, Ellinghad identified it as an Orb of the Moon, one of three keys used to open doors in the Lyceum of Kalaman. It was safe to assume that perhaps they served the same purpose in Bastion. They continued searching around, finding another strange Vallenwood item, this time a scroll rack. They took that too, placing it in a Bag of Holding. \_(ツ)_/

They then proceeded to the balcony, noticing two other similar Ternion balconies hundreds of feet off, each with their own pedestal. They put the orb in the indentation on the pedestal, and a shimmering outline of another structure partially appeared in the space between the Ternions. Once the structure coalesced, Lya had a full premonition that the good dragon she felt earlier was there. She shared the news with the party. On a successful Knowledge Arcana check, the party also determined that from time to time the Order of High Sorcery recruited good dragons to guard their Towers. The Tower of Wayreth had such a copper dragon for many years. They wondered if this dragon had such an arrangement. Ellinghad briefly thought about using a Dimension Door to get to the other balconies, but decided against it due to all the strange goings-on.

Meanwhile, Hyphen/Matt became bored, and left the group to go back to the main library area. As soon as he left the long hallway, a group of 10 four-armed xill appeared. They were led by a larger, stronger specimen wielding monk’s kamas. While the others chanted his name “Ziric,” thus started the melee. I feel like this further alienated Matt as he went off by himself right into an encounter. I wanted to explain that I wasn’t throwing an angry DM grudge fight at him, but I didn’t. Maybe I should have.

The combat was long and dangerous. The xill opposition were monks, which definitely made for a challenging combat that clocked in at about two hours. No one died and they killed most of the xill. I decided to end the encounter when the xill had lost half their force, using the Planeswalk ability to escape. During the three rounds is takes for them go Ethereal, the group ended up killing Battle-Dancer Ziric, the leader. Thus only three escaped. The party looted the dead bodies and then decided to head to the Red Ternion next. Before going, they decided to rest in the dormitories they found. The group set a watch, and were even able to find all the food they wanted in the kitchen area. It appeared magically.

After a long rest, they left the White Ternion, stepping back on to the Teleportation Circle into the Grand Gallery. From there it was a quick step to the left and they appeared in a wide room, similar in dimensions to the White Ternion study. That was its only similarity as they noticed the walls traced in dizzying patterns in every shade of red, from burgundy to fuchsia. None of the furniture matched, and rugs on the floor were cut in asymmetrical patters. I explained it as a bad acid trip. They also found another piece of Vallenwood furniture in form of a boot scraper. They took that too, obviously. \_(ツ)_/

After their quick exploration, they opened the red double doors into the Concourse hallway to find it covered in webs. As they stepped in carefully, phase spiders appeared all around, starting another fierce melee. The fight didn’t last long with several area effect spells etc. After that fight, everyone was a bit worn out, so we left it there.

I apologize if this journal seems a bit off. I know I skipped a combat write-up but my heart wasn’t in it. As I mentioned prior, I feared writing it and put it off for almost three months. After the session, Matt and I had more discussion which turned to disagreement over my DM style. I am not meaning to put that up for debate here, but he ended up leaving the group. This simply had never happened to me in 11 years of DM’ing. It threw me for a loop.

Oh well. Stand by for Session 6 as I move to get that written quickly. Thanks for reading!
    Last edited by rogue; 06-28-2017 at 08:01 PM.
    -Dragonlance Nexus Social Media Manager-
    GM - ICRP: Star Wars - Dawn of Defiance

7 years later is kind of late to complain about the GM.
    "It's not a game of Final Fantasy where you can step outside the plot for a bit and train up your stats, it's a potentially apocalyptic final chapter in an epic drama." - Brass Tiger Captain