Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Rogue's Pathfinder Price of Courage Journal

Remmik is Ellinghad's soon to be cohort. Everyone basically wanted the leadership feat. Fun times.

And yes, totally not low magic and I am going to see what I can do with those Dark Knights.
    Last edited by rogue; 07-31-2017 at 02:58 PM.
    -Dragonlance Nexus Social Media Manager-
    GM - ICRP: Star Wars - Dawn of Defiance

Oops, correction to a previous post, everyone leveled to 16th, duh. And here they are:

Sir Ellinghad uth Saxis (LG male Solamnic human Wizard 5/WoHS 6 [White]/War Mage 5)
    , an intrepid member of the Solamnic Kingfisher auxiliary and renegade hunter.

Lyajaida “Lya” Denissa (CG Silvanesti elf Ranger 11/Wizard 1/Arcane Archer 4 [Dragon Singer Template]), a quiet, prideful elven ranger who has accepted the call of the elven Dragon Singers.

Grrrr (Large N male wolf), Lya’s steadfast bonded ally and protector.

Sir Royse uth Seeckt (LG Solamnic human Noble 4/Cavalier 6/Solamnic Knight 6 [Rose])
    , an initiate to the Order of the Rose who holds a dark secret of the coming future which he is desperate to change.

Gygax Polyhedron (LG Solamnic human Cleric 16 of Habbakuk [Animal and Travel]), a stranger who rides a tiger into battle and serves the will of Habbakuk with the Solamnic Knights.

Esilidor, cub of Arathor; First Whisker Under the sea! (Large N male tiger), Gygax’s great cat and steed.

Sir Otto Reichstag (LG male Solamnic human Fighter 10/Inquisitor 4 of Kiri-Jolith), a young knight-clerist who is Sir Royce’s current squire and assistant.

Default Session 7: Part 1

And welcome back! Session 7 was very combat heavy, so I am focusing on one more than the other. If not, this write-up would take forever and I don’t have the time. So let’s continue so I can get this written at the last minute like I do everything in life; one day before it’s due. I feel your judging eyes through the computer/phone screen. Stop!

We left off with everyone laying hands on the evil dragon orb while Remmik Half-elven screamed a warning. As the mists cleared, the party found themselves in a phantasmal dreamscape of rocky pillars that stretched into infinity. Some of the pillars were as close as five feet to another, while others were farther off. A bottomless chasm sank below. The four appeared crammed together on a larger pillar, feeling their strengths changed. For the purpose of the encounter their mental scores replaced physical ones: Strength is replaced by Intelligence, Dexterity by Wisdom, and Constitution by Charisma. As I thought this would hobble Royse and Lya, I decided not to go to rough with their combatant.

In mid-air, roughly 30 feet away, the golden form of an immense dragon coalesced into being. It’s red glowing eyes locked on them, countenance noble yet cruel. “I am Asamiel, how dare you attempt to enslave me! You are all mine,” it roared.

So a little aside. This encounter was designed for one-on-one, and Asamiel is supposed to be an adult gold dragon. Well, with four people touching the orb at once, I upped the dragon’s age category to Old. Still a mistake. I should have gone to Very Old or maybe even Ancient, because it didn’t go long. Between cold-based magic from Ellinghad and Royse using Huma’s Lance…this was a very disappointing encounter that didn’t last maybe three rounds. Sure I got off some dragonfear and breath weapons, but ultimately I crapped the bed with being unable to challenge them. Oh well.

Ellinghad again delivered the death blow with a timely Polar Ray. As he finished off the dragon, he became master of the orb. The mists receded and they found themselves again in the circular workroom in Bastion. Ellinghad noticed the orb seem to shrink, or either he grew bigger. It was hard to tell with such magic. He took the now “demure” orb up to store in his Bag of Holding. Suddenly, roars echoed about the chamber as the copper dragon came to, tearing about and toppling over benches and shelves in a rage. Lya responded by singing Quinari’s song, using her Dragonsinger ability to Calm Emotions. She failed, but burned a Hero Point to reroll and Nat 20’d that beyotch. The sad song assuaged the dragon’s temper and he looked confused, then wary. The dragon bowed to Lya, asking in elven where he was and how he get got there. Before Lya could answer, Ellinghad shared that it was the dragon orb that summoned him here. The dragon switched to Common, and agreed that yes, he remembered hearing an irresistible call as memory returned. He introduced himself as Clang, the former guardian of the Tower of Wayreth, friend to the Order. Ellinghad knew the name, and was aware Clang had disappeared a year ago during when the gods returned.

Clang recalled fighting against the Dark Queen’s forces. On his return journey to Wayreth, he heard the call of the orb and then only darkness. The angry draong insisted the dragon orb be destroyed. Ellinghad promised to give it over to the masters of the Order. Clang didn’t care. If such an evil artifact could enslave him, then it could also enslave other good dragons. Though he respected the Conclave, in this his allegiance would cease. Ellinghad refused to destroy it and decided to contact the head of the white robes for guidance. While they waited, Clang thanked Lya and marveled that a Dragonsinger had returned to Krynn with the entrance to the Graveyard finally open. He shared that though her burden was indeed great, she was doing the work of the gods, and he would pass the information among his kind. This flustered Jess the player a bit, now realizing perhaps that dying dragons were going to start coming to her for relief. We’ll get to that later in the campaign. 

Ellinghad cast a Sending spell to Coryn the White, updating his progress and the discovery of the orb. Coryn answered to keep the orb safe until the Conclave meeting deliberated on the matter. She also said reinforcements were available. Everyone joked about comparing the Sending spell to text messages, and Ellinghad’s answer would be “who dis? I don’t have this number in my phone.” In game, Sir Royse asked Sir Otto (himself lol) what he knew about dragon orbs, and he (Otto) shared that it would be an item of contention due to its effect on good dragons. Ellinghad then delivered the news, and the dragon still disagreed. The wizard continued to explain that the orb was property of the Orders and would be handled quickly. I had Dan roll a Diplomacy check, to which he failed. Clang simply polymorphed into an elf form, and asked them to lead him out of Bastion. Remmik volunteered for the effort and they left.

With the two gone, the group continued their exploration of the Inner Coronet. The portal took them to a strange woodland area full of tress, plants and grasses. There was even magically produced sunlight overhead. In the center of the grove, they found the stump of an old Vallenwood tree. Through their connection to nature, Lya and Gygax immediately identified it as being more than just a stump. Ellinghad used Limited Wish to cast Speak with Plants, and the shade of a handsome young human with blonde hair and dressed in finery appeared. Ellinghad asked who he was, and the shade introduced himself as Lyim Rhistadt, the most powerful of Renegade wizard ever to walk Krynn. Unimpressed, the party asked how he was cut down. Liam replied the other wizards turned him into lumber, unaware that Bram DiThon and the insufferable Par-Salian previously cursed him for his attempt to destroy magic. This pinged some rolls to know who he was. Being that I recently finished the Defenders of Magic trilogy, I gave background about Lyim’s attempt to conquer the previous two Bastions and also eradicate magic as a whole.

Lyim then proclaimed he felt pieces of himself close at hand. They put two and two together. Lyim proposed a trade of information for pieces of himself. He knew of the xill and the dragon orb. Being of mostly LG alignment, the party didn’t trust the Renegade but needed guidance. They produced all the pilfered furniture but the ones too big to move, and watched as the Lyim-tree grew. And yet still, branches and chunks of bark were missing. Lyim demanded more, but the party cautioned that was enough for now. Lyim agreed and explained that when Takhisis stole Krynn, Bastion was dragged across the Ethereal Sea. Along the way it snagged strange life like a large fishing net. The xill were one type creatures. Rhistadt then laughed while explaining how the xill took over Bastion, led by a strange shaman known as Ixmir. When the remaining Sentinels and apprentices of Bastion came for advice, he pitched the same bargain to return the furniture, but they refused and thus were captured or died. Their lair was in the Meeting Chamber above the Heart of Magic. If they could win their way into the Heart, attuning themselves to Bastion would improve their situation immensely. The group then deliberated to find the meeting room and clear out the xill threat.

Up next, the big fight!

Isn't Clang female in the module or did I just do that in our game?

Also, interesting to see someone actually negotiate with Lyiam. You guys refused to deal with him at all in our game! Although to be fair, I played him like a total jerk.
    Head Moderator &
    Member of the Whitestone Council

"Hey look! I'm the Code of Conduct! Check me out!" -The Code of Conduct

Yeah she is, I messed it up and kept with it.

With Lyim, I tried negotiating but he refused to speak with Balon.
    Last edited by rogue; 08-13-2017 at 11:18 AM.

It's like he had a beef with wizards!
    Head Moderator &

So an update. I am very much behind. Surprise! Been working Harvey relief for two weeks, but I am back at my normal position for at least a week, so I intend to get some journaling going in the next few days.

Is this really the only remaining active campaign journal on the boards? That makes me sad....

Lead the way my friend.
    "It's not a game of Final Fantasy where you can step outside the plot for a bit and train up your stats, it's a potentially apocalyptic final chapter in an epic drama." - Brass Tiger Captain

Looks like there's no active campaign journals on the boards any more...

Head Moderator &