Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How's your Dragonlance doing?

It's quiet around here, but that's okay. We're still here! All it usually takes is a whiff of something interesting to bring us out of the woodwork....

Currently, our group is deep in Planescape. DL is next on the list, though!

We're on a brief break as my wife is due any day now , but we should be back to gaming regularly by 2017!
    Seriously; what's the point of being a minotaur if you're not going to skewer something, anything, on those beautiful horns....

Quote Originally Posted by Tauren_Kai-Jere View Post
    Probably a bad time to mention that the Pathfinder conversion project wrapped a couple of weeks ago...
    Ah! Ironic indeed! I haven't followed it closely as the only d20 version of D&D I use is 3.0, but the few discussions I read were very interesting
    It is the spirit of the game, not the letter of the rules, which is important. Never hold to the letter written, nor allow some barracks room lawyer to force quotations from the rule book upon you [...] YOU ARE CREATOR AND FINAL ARBITER.
    E. G. Gygax, Dungeon Masters Guide, 1979.

I haven't played in a few years, yet I find myself writing DL adventures and converting DL monsters and characters to 5th edition more and more. My way of dealing with the lack of a group to play, I guess.

Had a Dragonlance 5e game going for about a year. However the game fizzled as more and more players got busy. Had one guy up to level 14 though.

It largely got taken over by a lich antagonist when the party retrieved a demi-liches phylactery, encouraged him to come back, and introduced him to Emperor Mercadior of Ergoth as a Vizier.

They liked him because he would make them magical items, do them spellcasting favours, use undead to kill Ackalites, and was generally congenial and friendly.

He also drove the emperor mad, convinced that emperor to imprison his remaining children, turned the Ackalite homeland into a desolated undead haunted ruin, and spread the worship of Chemosh far and wide in the Empire.

Really, I was planning to do a cross Ansalon tour leading up to the conquests of Ariakan... but they quite enough to do at home.
    The official canon of Dragonlance, for a variety of reasons, is not as good as it could be. I do it better.

Quote Originally Posted by ferratus View Post
    Had a Dragonlance 5e game going for about a year. However the game fizzled as more and more players got busy. Had one guy up to level 14 though.

It largely got taken over by a lich antagonist when the party retrieved a demi-liches phylactery, encouraged him to come back, and introduced him to Emperor Mercadior of Ergoth as a Vizier.

They liked him because he would make them magical items, do them spellcasting favours, use undead to kill Ackalites, and was generally congenial and friendly.

He also drove the emperor mad, convinced that emperor to imprison his remaining children, turned the Ackalite homeland into a desolated undead haunted ruin, and spread the worship of Chemosh far and wide in the Empire.

Really, I was planning to do a cross Ansalon tour leading up to the conquests of Ariakan... but they quite enough to do at home.
    Sounds like an awesome campaign! When did you set it in the timeline?
    It is the spirit of the game, not the letter of the rules, which is important. Never hold to the letter written, nor allow some barracks room lawyer to force quotations from the rule book upon you [...] YOU ARE CREATOR AND FINAL ARBITER.
    E. G. Gygax, Dungeon Masters Guide, 1979.

i still love dragonlance and i combie king arthur with dragonlance
    xas xasoth come new camelot
    Last edited by merlin 1 the wizard; 12-16-2016 at 03:21 PM.
    merlin the wise green dragon master wizard

I've had a campaign for the last 2.5 years adventure through Pashin, up to Thoradin, and finally conclude in Sanction. It's set 15 years after the War of Souls and has been a 5e campaign throughout. The players have really enjoyed the interaction with various factions--Dark Knights, Knights of Solamnia, the Red Robes, cult of Sargonnas, have all made a showing--and all in all I think I've captured the flavor of Dragonlance pretty well. It's been a blast to run the campaign and I'd love to see some WotC love for Dragonlance in 5e.

I've been running a DL campaign for the last 10 years or so. It's set post War of Souls and started with a homebrew plot but I eventually weaved it into the Age of Mortals campaign. We have 2 chapters left in Price of Courage. It's slow going because we only play for 2-3 hours every other week, and I switch off every 6 months or so with a friend who runs a different game.
    Flint

I haven't frequented these boards in a long time. Most of it is exahaustion with the setting due to all the work I did during the 3.5 years. I am running one Dragonlance game via Roll20 about once per month, but it's not a pure Dragonlance game in that we will eventually travel to other worlds and I use my own timeline for things based on the Age of Dragons timeline. Occasionally, I will work something up for Dragonlance, but its usually for Savage Worlds. It's been my experience that if what you come up with isn't for some iteration of Dungeons and Dragons, then it tends to get little notice or spawn much in the way of conversation when you post it on these forums. So rather that waste my time on that I have tended to focus on other things.

Another issue is as was mentioned - the end of the Dragonlance novel line - was pretty much the nail in the coffin so to speak of the setting. In times past when there was no official gaming products being produced, we still had the novels which kept the setting alive and gave us new things to talk about. Once the novel line was discontinued, then all we had to discuss were things we've discussed ad nauseum; which I'm sure for many people bored them. I know it did me.
    “There's always, always a choice. My options might really, truly suck, but that doesn't mean there isn't a choice.”

- Harry Dresden -

My interest in Dragonlance waxes and wanes like the moon of Solinari. I've quite enjoyed my time spent on the Nexus over the years, its halls are filled with fine folk, but I find that if I dont have a project or campaign to keep me focused and grounded on Krynn, I tend to drift away.

Currently running a Pathfinder Dragonlance game in the Age of Dragons timeline, currently in the year 404 AC. It is a localized game set in Kharolis, which is essentially a Kingmaker campaign (loosely adapted from the Adventure Path, in general premise only), one of the PCs will be ruler of the newly united nation of Kharolis by the time the campaign is done.