Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How's your Dragonlance doing?

Default How's your Dragonlance doing?

In the last years, it seems the forum got ever more silent. Is it that people aren't playing a lot of Dragonlance anymore? Or (possibly tied with the previous question) the official lack of support for the last two editions has sort of "killed" the setting?

Personally, I know I'd like to play more Dragonlance. I finished a year long campaign last year (based on the Champions of Krynn storyline; started with C&C, moved to D&D 3.0 later.) I hope to pick the same characters later this year (not sure we'll go with 3.0; if I had my way, I'd try 13th Age). And I'd like to run the Key of Destiny campaign. And the Heroes of a New Age campaign as well. So...potentially lots of Dragonlance on the plate, the only missing thing is time :(
    I'd like 5e to support the setting (through a SCAG-like book) but I am not a big 5e fan, so that's not affecting my choices very much.

Cheers,
    Antonio
    It is the spirit of the game, not the letter of the rules, which is important. Never hold to the letter written, nor allow some barracks room lawyer to force quotations from the rule book upon you [...] YOU ARE CREATOR AND FINAL ARBITER.
    E. G. Gygax, Dungeon Masters Guide, 1979.

My group just finished Key of Destiny, and are into Chapter Two of Spectre of Sorrows in Pathfinder. My campaign journals are on the boards and updating as regularly as I can.
    Dragonlanceforums.com Moderater - To be one, ask one!

Do you love the Dragonlace Forums? Do they provide you with hours of entertainment? Why not donate? Keep the hamsters running. Ask me how!

Quote Originally Posted by SuperBall View Post
    My group just finished Key of Destiny, and are into Chapter Two of Spectre of Sorrows in Pathfinder. My campaign journals are on the boards and updating as regularly as I can.
    I was about to explicitly exclude you from the discussion, as your (and few others) PF conversion thread seems to be the only regular thing going on here
    It is the spirit of the game, not the letter of the rules, which is important. Never hold to the letter written, nor allow some barracks room lawyer to force quotations from the rule book upon you [...] YOU ARE CREATOR AND FINAL ARBITER.

That makes sense. "Let's talk about Dragonlance." Unless you're actually playing it. Okay...
    Dragonlanceforums.com Moderater - To be one, ask one!

Do you love the Dragonlace Forums? Do they provide you with hours of entertainment? Why not donate? Keep the hamsters running. Ask me how!

Quote Originally Posted by SuperBall View Post
    That makes sense. "Let's talk about Dragonlance." Unless you're actually playing it. Okay...
    What I meant is that apart from your conversion activity, I don't see much talk about here. Obviously reporting about your game is activity. I didn't mean to exclude you

Greetings:

Well, I've been hit with real life lately, so my gaming is pretty slow. My friends and I have been busy with work and other things, so the last year or two has seen only a handful of dice rolling days. Luckily, we have started a once-a-month gaming day again, so things are a little better.

For my part, I'd like to resurrect the Key of Destiny campaign I started running like 5 years ago or so. I get burned out really easy though and I don't have much free time, so I don't know how much progress I will make on that. One other thing I've started doing is writing up an adventure about the elves trying to retake their lands. I'd like to post it when I'm done, but time will tell if I have the energy to finish it.

Lastly, I'm the one in my group that likes to play Dragonlance. My players enjoy the game, but typically they run their own homebrew campaigns when they DM.

I'm currently running 2 DL games and playing in a third. For me, there was a dip in activity during 4e and then I began playing again during 5th. As for the forums, it's been much quieter here lately, probably because of social media. It's just easier to post and respond there. I think forum activity, regardless of the topic, is down. It's one of the reasons WotC closed their forums down. It's all being handled through social media. There are 2 or 3 Facebook groups dedicated to DL that are quite active.

Talking

I'm a longtime fan of Dragonlance, and over the years I've tried a number of times to run campaigns set in Ansalon, but the players either lost interest or developed external conflicts that forced an end to the group...

For the past 6 months, however, I've been running the War of the Lance campaign using Pathfinder rules, and it's been going swimmingly. My players have already reached the High Clerist's Tower, and are in general having a rollicking time. I gave them the option of using the original companions or rolling their own, and they elected for the latter, but still wanted to start with the traditional "returning to the Inn of the Last Home" setting - some of my players are familiar with the novels and the setting, but some are not. Those of us who had previous exposure felt that the most enjoyable thing to do would be to have starting characters who could convincingly replace the Innfellows, and see how things changed from there. Accordingly, I made a number of alterations to the canon timeline which seemed small and limited in scope at first, but have, in conjunction with my PCs' actions, have had significant consequences to developments as the campaign has progressed...

I think that one of the differences between this and my previous efforts has been the advances in technology I can use to support the game. I use Hero Lab to track and build both the PCs and my NPCs, using the Hero Lab community Dragonlance package for Pathfinder (maintained by TobyFox2002, link) with a few additional modifications of my own. Using the Hero Lab character files, I convert the character records to MapTools Tokens (using hl2mt, from Mark Mealman, link).

My group's sessions are in-person, but we use MapTools on my laptop and flat-screen TV, displaying combat scenarios, larger regional maps, and illustrations. My players like this arrangement because it provides an easy reference to where they are, where they've been, and what they're doing. I like it because it makes it a lot easier to track and manage the game world, both in and out of combat. We've played other campaigns using this setup, but the wealth of material available for Dragonlance makes the effort both easier and more worthwhile. One of the largest obstacles to this process has been the numerous maps associated with the War of the Lance campaign that, while wonderful as paper maps, are not really a good fit in terms of artwork style for use as virtual-table-top encounter maps. Since I prefer to display encounters that are also illustrative of their contexts (so that the scene I describe is approximately matched by what they see on the VTT map), I have gone to the effort of re-creating a number of maps in GIMP, using texture and object images (mostly sourced from the wonderful folks at the Dundjinni forums) to "dress up" the spaces in which my players have adventured. (Some of my maps are available in my DeviantArt gallery, link)

Given the speed with which they have progressed through the campaign so far, I'm already working on the next thing we'll play. Based on their enjoyment of the setting, I'm planning to convert the recently re-published "Pathfinderized" Curse of the Crimson Throne AP to work in an Age of Mortals that will grow out of the events my players have already started in their War of the Lance campaign, so I suspect that I'll be running a Dragonlance game of one sort or another for quite some time to come.

I've been running a 2E Dragonlance game set in Haven during the War of the Lance for three years now. It centers on what life is like during the occupation and how the PCs deal with an enemy that they can't just start killing (there are over 5,000 soldiers in the city, plus three red dragons).

I intend to follow it up with a game set a few years later centered on the Tower of Wayreth; it will be an all-mage game.

I'm also a player in a 5E Dragonlance game set after the War of Souls. I'm a former knight who resigned after becoming disillusioned with Emperor Markham's less than noble ways. The game mostly takes place in either Solamnia or Nordmaar, so far.
    Formerly Daos Soulstaff

Quote Originally Posted by Turambar
    What I meant is that apart from your conversion activity, I don't see much talk about here.
    Probably a bad time to mention that the Pathfinder conversion project wrapped a couple of weeks ago...
    Head Moderator &
    Member of the Whitestone Council

"Hey look! I'm the Code of Conduct! Check me out!" -The Code of Conduct