Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Alexander Freeheart

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    The Land of Ice & Snow (Northern MN)
    Posts
    4,978

    Default Alexander Freeheart

    Alexander rested on a salvaged sofa at the back of Defender’s Heart after a rigorous day of tracking down cultists and demons in what was left of Kenabres’ Gate District to the north. It had been four days since he had learned of Terenelev’s fall from the sky on the fateful day of the fall of Kenabres, but it seemed only moments ago that he had buried his companion, Linzi, upon a pleasant overlook of the once splendid city by the West Sellen river.

    His mind drifted to a time before the invasion, one where he and Linzi scouted potential threats in the lands surrounding Kenabres. It was a happy time for him, but it was not to last. As memories always do, his reminded him of the terrible day when they heard the clarion call of the city miles in the distance. Rushing as fast as they could back toward the city, they were ambushed by a rogue band of demons. Their numbers were too great, and as they fled for their lives, Linzi was mortally wounded. Although he carried her for miles, they were simply too far from help. He struggled to keep from falling into the enemy’s hands, but managed to evade them. Finding a rock outcropping, he set Linzi down to rest. That is when he realized she had departed this world and left him alone.

    That had been four days ago, and no amount of slain demons had slaked his thirst for revenge for Linzi’s death.

    Reaching over to the table with great effort, Alexander picked up his pewter tankard and swirled the mead within, then tipped it back, draining his glass. It was his third such beverage, and yet he still thirsted. He was uncertain if his thirst was for mead, or if it was for death. Even before he set his cup down, one of the regulars was at his table with a pitcher and filled it. She smiled at him politely, then darted off to fill other weary defender’s glasses.

    Nodding his thanks, the ranger tossed several small coins onto the table along side the others he had piled previously as payment for his refreshment. Setting his tankard down, he looked around the hall, taking in the familiar faces of those who had survived the invasion and continued to fight against the demon invaders. He had heard rumors of a group of people who had crawled out from the bowels of the earth below the city, bringing with them a pledge of hope from a group of warriors from some place called ‘Neathhome’. He prayed their aid would speed the liberation of the city.

    From across the room, he spotted the leader of the Eagle Watch, a half-orc warrior woman, whom he had been recruited by to continue his scouting missions for. Irabeth Tirabade marched toward him, coming to a halt before his table. She nodded, then pulled a chair from a nearby table that had only half of the back of it remaining, having been broken in a brawl the night before, and sat down before him.

    “I see you have returned from your mission in the Gate District, and from your demeanor, as well as the few new scars you seem to have acquired, that more than a few fell to your bow this day,” she said in observation. Alexander knew that the paladin was fishing for information, and although his allegiances were normally his own, he felt compelled to report his findings. After completing his report, he once again picked up his tankard. But rather than drain it, as he normally would after telling gruesome tales of battle, he merely sipped it lazily.

    “I see,” Irabeth mumbled, her oversized brow furrowed in thought. “It has come to my attention that there are cultists dedicated to the demon’s war effort within out city. I have dispatched a small group of newly arrived volunteers to investigate alleged safe houses of some of these cultists. If, in your travels, you discover any evidence of these cultists, I need you to report back to me immediately. We cannot afford to have the enemy sowing dissent among our ranks.” She rose from her chair as if to leave, but lingered a moment.

    “The day is still young, but it looks as though you need rest. When you are ready, I need you to head to the Tower of Estrod and scout the area. There are reports of possible demon and cultist activity in the area.” Having given her orders, Irabeth nodded then departed, leaving Alexander alone with his mead once more.
    Roll Better! Miss Less!

    Family Time Games:
    Boards, Cards, Dice - Games for Everyone!

    Evil is not a condition or a state of being. It is a choice. Hold on to your choice for it is your salvation.



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    34

    Default

    Alexander sat, leaning back in his chair and closing his eyes. He knew that he should head to the tower of Estrod as soon as he could, however his stomach growled in anticipation of the hot meal he had ordered. Knowing full well that he was giving himself a false sense of comfort, after all, how much comfort could be afforded with demons and cultists running about.

    As Alexander stood up and grabbed his bow, his most faithful friend joined him from under the table. The wolf stood near waist high with a black coat covering most of its body, only his face and stomach were covered in a brown stripe of fur. He looked up at Alexander expectantly.

    "Come along Raiscella, we need to get our food for the road. There are cultists that we must take care of before more harm comes our way." Looking down at his wolf Alexander softened his tone "Do not worry my friend we will grab hot food for the walk, you should be happy the special today wasnt soup. Which do you suppose is worse? The demons or the cultists?"

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    The Land of Ice & Snow (Northern MN)
    Posts
    4,978

    Default

    "Come along Raiscella, we need to get our food for the road. There are cultists that we must take care of before more harm comes our way." Looking down at his wolf Alexander softened his tone "Do not worry my friend we will grab hot food for the walk, you should be happy the special today wasnt soup. Which do you suppose is worse? The demons or the cultists?"
    Prancing in excitement beside him, Raiscella yipped his response to Alexander’s question. He was also excited at the prospect of having lunch, especially since it wasn’t soup. The wolf was always happier when they were on the hunt, regardless of how tired he was. He would never show it, for he had his duty to keep an eye on his companion.

    With his lunch in one hand, and his canteen in the other, the ranger set out for the Tower of Estrod to the west of Defender’s Heart. Normally, it would be a simple, short walk as the distance was not far. However, since the fall of Kenabres, he found his path meandered considerably. Several times he found himself at a new found dead end, blocked by a fallen building, or a trench created from the assault of the city streets by the large demonic invasion. Raiscella stayed at Alexander’s side, never wandering more than a few feet, and then only when the scent of something caught his nose.

    After nearly an hour, which seemed difficult to believe to have taken so long, Alexander estimated that they were somewhere near halfway to their destination. He paused momentarily to gauge distance using familiar landmarks and the midday sun, when he heard a woman scream, followed by cackling in the distance. He well trained ears estimated that the noise came from somewhere around the corner of a large building some twenty paces west of his current location.

    Raiscella’s ears perked forward, and a low growl rumbled in his chest in warning.

    OOC
    Ryan: I will put a map up after your next post, assuming Alexander will be stealthing up and scouting the sound before taking any action. If you have questions or concerns, give me a shout.
    Roll Better! Miss Less!

    Family Time Games:
    Boards, Cards, Dice - Games for Everyone!

    Evil is not a condition or a state of being. It is a choice. Hold on to your choice for it is your salvation.



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    34

    Default

    Alexander looked at Raiscella and gave him the silent command to follow him. Pulling his bow and nocking an arrow as he moved, Alexander found some rubble to hide by and take a closer look to the commotion. Alexander knew not to just charge forward as demons are deceptive by nature and a scream is not always what it seems like.

    OOC:
    Handle animal: free action via Link, used Heel command
    Moved into stealth with some nearby rubble or whatever else is handy, with a roll of: 9 + 12 skill = 21
    Perception roll of: 15 + 11 skill = 26
    Drew weapon as part of my move action.
    Scout my way around the corner to get a closer look. Maintaining half speed to maintain stealth.

    Raiscella
    Perception roll: 3 + 5 = 8
    Stealth roll: 14 + 2 = 16
    Last edited by Grimnox; 11-11-2016 at 05:17 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    The Land of Ice & Snow (Northern MN)
    Posts
    4,978

    Default

    At the far end of the street, across large trench that was cut through the city street during the initial assault on Kenabres, an area of rubble had been cleared away from the street. In the middle of the road, an improvised stage made of several partially destroyed wagons and carts had been erected. On the stage stood four frightened men and women, each armed with jagged broken weapons and clad in bits and pieces of dented, bloody armor. Two creatures flapped about nearby as they worked to stage a “play” of sorts comprising of battles between their victims. Each of the humans were haggard and beaten. On the ground around the stage, four other victims lay scattered about the area.



    As Alexander watched, the vile little creatures cackled and yelled as they forced the people on the stage to fight one another. One of the women screamed in terror as the man she had squared off against raised his weapon against her, his arm shaking in fear and frustration. The winged creature taunted and cajoled, trying to force the man’s hand.

    Raiscella crept forward on padded, silent feet, peering around the corner so that his nose could capture the scent on the breeze. A fallen twig snapped beneath his foot, capturing the attention of the small winged creatures. Their heads jerked in the direction of the noise. Ram horns curled back from the twisted head of the tiny, winged demons, their bodies thin and wiry. Hate filled their slanted eyes as they cursed the interruption of their fun in the language of demons.

    Although Alexander did not understand their words, he knew that whatever the creature had said, it probably wasn’t good.

    Instantly, one of the demonic flying things disappeared from sight, while the other spoke commanding words to those on the stage, flying behind them in a defensive manner, all the while threatening those on stage. The terrified townspeople reluctantly followed the orders of their captors.

    One of the women, obviously the one responsible for the scream the ranger had heard earlier, alerting him to the presence of danger, trembled in fear. She dropped the weapon in her hand just before the man opposite her bludgeoned her down to the stage floor, blood pooling below her limp form. On the other stage, both townsfolk exchanged attacks, both letting blood from their blows, but the man of the two hit harder, dropping the woman to his feet, tears streaking his cheeks, as a primal scream escaped his lips.
    The two men stepped closer to one another, following the demands of the tiny winged demon, preparing to square off against one another.

    OOC
    Alexander Stealth Check, 26 – opposed by unknown foe, 17 – goes unnoticed.
    Raiscella Stealth Check, 16 – opposed by unknown foe, 22 – is noticed!

    Initiative time!

    Alexander: d20+5= 12
    Tiny Winged Demons: d20+?= 18

    Demons First!

    Tiny Winged Demon #1: Casts Invisibility (at will) upon self, moves to ?
    Tiny Winged Demon #2: Intimidate Check on Townsperson, 22 – success! Moves behind victims, using them as cover.
    Victim #1: Coerced to attack victim #2, miss – drops weapon in fear.
    Victim #2: Coerced to attack victim #1, hits! Does 3 damage – Victim #1 drops to the stage floor.
    Victim #3: Coerced to attack victim #4, hits! Does 2 damage – Victim #4 staggered.
    Victim #4: Coerced to attack victim #3, hits – possible crit – not a crit! Does 5 damage – victim #4 drops to the stage floor.

    Alexander & Raiscella’s turn!

    Notes on Map Terrain:
    The roadway is normal terrain and can be moved through normally. The black ‘tear’ running north – south is a trench that is 20’ deep, cut into the ground during the demonic invasion of Kenabres. It varies from 5’ wide to 15’ wide at points. Any surface other than the roadway is considered difficult terrain for movement.

    Tiny Winged Demon #1 is invisible, but I left its last known location on the map for reference. Use the planner if you have questions, or send me a text.

    Roll Better! Miss Less!

    Family Time Games:
    Boards, Cards, Dice - Games for Everyone!

    Evil is not a condition or a state of being. It is a choice. Hold on to your choice for it is your salvation.



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    34

    Default

    Alexander glanced at Raiscella, "watch for those twigs buddy, they're the alarm system of the lucky." Alexander gave a quick short whistle as a familiar command to Raiscella to stay here and defend him, trusting in the wolf to watch his back and alert him if anything came close enough to smell.

    Alexander stepped forward with his bow and took aim, letting loose a trusted arrow at the demon he could see. Feeling that he knew of this type of demons and could likely dispatch them and save these poor townspeople. After letting the arrow fly Alexander shouts at the townsfolk "Take cover people, I am killing demons here!"

    OOC:
    Free action - Handle animal - defend
    5ft step forward.
    Knowledge check via favored enemy(evil outsider): roll 15 + 2wis +2 favored = 19
    Attack demon 2 (non invisible) using deadly aim but outside of point blank: roll(d20) 13 + 10 = 23
    damage of roll (d8) 5 + 8 = 13 points

    Raiscella readies to defend me against a nearby foe else holds action.

    Also I noticed I forgot to select a favored terrain so will do so after this combat so as not to change anything mid battle.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    The Land of Ice & Snow (Northern MN)
    Posts
    4,978

    Default

    Raiscella glanced up at Alexander with a curious look, his head cocked to one side and ears perked forward as if to say, “No really?” in response to his master’s comment. The wolf’s nose was working overtime, sniffing the air and the ground. There was something in the area that wasn’t supposed to be there.

    Taking aim, being aware of those surrounding the tiny winged demons that the ranger knew to be Quasits, he loosed his arrow, watching it sail through the air swiftly, whistling on the still air of the street. The projectile found its mark, whizzing past one of the cowed men preparing to attack his neighbor. The tiny winged demon screeched in pain, uttering abyssal curses upon Alexander, his kin, and anyone who ever knew him.

    Not waiting to become a pincushion, the quasit behind the townsman quickly uttered arcane words and disappeared from sight, relocating itself somewhere safe. Just to the southeast of their current location, Alexander and his companion spotted the other quasit on the wing some ten feet in the air as it revealed itself. It uttered a magical phrase, calling upon the profane magic it wielded to inflict fear within its foes.

    “Daya emosi tanda ente, gentar takut!”

    Overcome with fear, Raiscella bolted, his flight instinct taking over, as he retreated in the direction they had approached.

    OOC
    Alexander:
    Knowledge Check – success! Alexander knows the tiny winged demon to be a Quasit, and is aware of pretty much everything about them.
    Attack #2, 23 – hits! Does 13 damage.
    Raiscella will defend should anything approach within reach.

    Quasit’s Turn!

    Quasit #1: Ends Invisibility to cast Cause Fear (30’ radius – multiple targets in area of effect) on Alexander and Raiscella. Will Saves! Alex, 15 – success! Raiscella, nat 1! Auto fail – gains the Frightened Condition: A frightened creature flees from the source of its fear as best it can. If unable to flee, it may fight. A frightened creature takes a –2 penalty on all attack rolls, saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks. A frightened creature can use special abilities, including spells, to flee; indeed, the creature must use such means if they are the only way to escape. Riascella would flee to the north of the map, the way you two came. I will leave his marker on the map for reference. You may write his retreat as you see fit.
    Quasit #2: Cast’s Invisibility on itself, moves to unknown location. Location on map is last know position. Fast Healing takes effect.
    Victim #1: Unconscious, bleeding out. Attempt to stabilize, fail. Takes one more damage.
    Victim #2: Holds action because demon does not make command.
    Victim #3: Holds action because demon does not make command.
    Victim #4: Unconscious, bleeding out. Attempt to stabilize, fail. Takes one more damage.

    Roll Better! Miss Less!

    Family Time Games:
    Boards, Cards, Dice - Games for Everyone!

    Evil is not a condition or a state of being. It is a choice. Hold on to your choice for it is your salvation.



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    34

    Default

    Alexander shouts at the men on the stage "Be a man and help the ladies to safety, don't just stand there waiting for the demons!"

    Spinning around on the heel of his boot Alexander moves north to re-utilize the building as cover from the injured Quasit's last known position. Alexander thought to himself, he couldn't think of any direct ranged attacks that Quasits regularly did but it's better to be safe than dead.

    While drawing an arrow and taking aim at the nearby Quasit, Alexander whistled and called to Raiscella in vain. Alexander let loose his arrow hoping to dispatch the Quasit before it did any more harm.

    OOC:
    Move action to move north up the street slightly, 10ft north of his current position on the map.
    Attack using point blank shot and deadly aim: roll (d20)11 + 12 bonus = 23
    Damage roll (d8)7 + 9 = 16 damage

    Raiscella flees north 80 ft (double move)
    Last edited by Grimnox; 11-14-2016 at 01:15 PM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    The Land of Ice & Snow (Northern MN)
    Posts
    4,978

    Default

    Alexander’s call to heel was lost on Raiscella, as the canine fled in panic from magically driven fears. The wolf was quick on his four feet, beating a retreat back the way they had come. The ranger had no time to worry about his companion, and focused on the quasit that had revealed itself in close proximity to his current location. Launching another arrow at his foe, Alexander watched as it pierced the tiny demon’s torso, causing it to spin in the air where it hovered. It gasped and screamed in agony.

    Defiantly, the injured quasit swooped down at the ranger, swiping at him with its claw. Alex’s armor deflected the blow, keeping him from harm. However, in the same instant, the other quasit appeared behind him, an evil grin on its demonic face. Taking advantage of his surprise, it clawed Alex across his back, its tiny talon tearing flesh and leaving a vile poison in its wake. Alexander felt the sickly burn in the wound, but his immune system kicked in and fought the toxins for the moment.

    Out of his line of vision, the ranger heard the footsteps of the townsmen as they fled the horrific scene, leaving behind the two fallen women.

    OOC
    Raiscella’s fear will last a total of 3 rounds, forgot that in my last post!

    Alexander: Move 5’ north (changing from 10 as the demon is 10’ up and your requested move would put you out of point blank range). Attack #1, 23 – hits! Does 16 damage – 5 DR (forgot that in my last post as well!) for 11 damage.

    Quasit’s Turn!

    Quasit #1: Moves into position. Attacks Alex with Claw, 19 – miss!
    Quasit #2: Moves into position, flanking Alex. Attacks Alex with Claw ending Invisibility, 23 – hits! Does d3-1 damage + d6 sneak attack damage = 5 total damage. Fort save versus poison, 20 – success! requires 2 consecutive saves to overcome.
    Victim #1: Unconscious, bleeding out. Attempt to stabilize, success!. Takes no more damage.
    Victim #2: drops weapon and flees
    Victim #3: drops weapon and flees
    Victim #4: Unconscious, bleeding out. Attempt to stabilize, fail. Takes one more damage, dies.

    New Round!


    Roll Better! Miss Less!

    Family Time Games:
    Boards, Cards, Dice - Games for Everyone!

    Evil is not a condition or a state of being. It is a choice. Hold on to your choice for it is your salvation.



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    34

    Default

    Alexander has been surrounded by the little demons and Raiscella has run off. A quick thought runs through his mind to catch up to Raiscella but it is just as quickly dismissed. Raiscella will return in a few and the demons are not only faster than him but have the ability to turn invisible, Alexander will have to trust in Raiscella's ability to avoid danger at the moment. That does little to quell his concern for Raiscella but choices are limited at the moment.

    Alexander dives and rolls out from between the two demons, spinning up onto his feet with another arrow ready to go for the demon. After letting the arrow fly, he spares a quick glance to the stage to check what the villagers have done. Seeing the women still laying on the stage Alexander curses "Useless men, I think you left your stones behind!" It's always been irritating to him to see people that won't help each other.

    OOC:
    Tumble 15ft south east to get over by the fountain and out of point blank roll (d20) 10 + 12 skill = 22
    Attack demon #1 (d20) 19 + 11 = 32
    Damage (d8) 6 + 9 = 15 damage
    Perception (d20) 7 + 11 = 18

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •