XP 2,400
    N Advanced Large aberration Barbarian 1
    Init +8; Senses darkvision 60 ft.;Perception +5
    AC 18, touch 13, Ff 15
    HP: 88
    Fort +7; Ref +5; Will +9
    Defense resist fire 5
    Speed: 50 ft.
    Melee 2 Claws +12 (1d8+7), Bite +11 (1d8+7 plus poison)
    Tail Spike +9 (2d4+7)
    Space 10 ft.; Reach 10 ft.
    Special Attacks Acid Spit, Rage (13 rounds)
    Str 20, Dex 17, Con 18, Int 9, Wis 17, Cha 9
    BAB +5; CMB +8; CMD 21
    Feats Improved Natural Weapon, Weapon Focus (claw) Improved Initiative,
    Improved Natural Armor, Extra Rage
    Skills Climb +12, Escape Artist +18, Stealth +9
    SQ light sensitivity,
    poison (Fort DC 16, 1/rd. for 6 rds. 1d2 Dex)
    acid spit (3/day) 10ft. +6 ranged touch.1d6 acid for 1d4+1 rds.
    rage +2 to attack and damage rolls, +2 to Will saves, +12 HP, -2 AC
    Dragonlanceforums.com Moderater - To be one, ask one!

Do you love the Dragonlace Forums? Do they provide you with hours of entertainment? Why not donate? Keep the hamsters running. Ask me how!

Default Feedback Session 22: I like what you did here!

Lord Toede and his chamberlain are one of my favorite NPC duos of all time. Very well described and acted out. It got to the point where I wanted to prolong the parlay just to hear the Chamberlain's announcer voice again. Having mercenaries with no filter when we talk to powerful people can be as nervewracking as a fight encounter, but thankfully they didn't press the "sell your dragon eggs" line of blackmail far enough to get us torched. The grand audience and negotiation RP was a fun opportunity for all. Amphidragons are another sweet DL creature I was intrigued to come across. Toede's problem was a neat opportunity for strategy and Ernest/Almarden were more than equal to the task and very good about incorporating party feedback.

As for the rest of the session, thanks for another series of unique and tough encounters!

It's not quite as fresh in my memory now but when I re-read the notes I remember the nail-biting tension of the treant fight in particular. We almost lost Pidjit! I was especially grateful to be able to cast blessing of fervor because without that extra movement, neither Kara nor Jhandra could have reached him in time to help him. (Which is not to say the ghost was going to whomp on a prone gnome---it's not that kind of willow.)

The treant fight was also scary because of its unique and unpredictable abilities (corrupting touch and ability drain and a gaze attack) and I am impressed that the ghost template was your idea. It fit well thematically and it was effective for things like hitting the whole party at once and having some resistance to damage so it lasted longer under the combined onslaughts of Almarden, Krusk, and Caran. And now Pidjit has an irrational fear of big trees, which is pretty funny. And let's be honest, that could have gone very differently without that miraculous and memorable Crit Deck draw by Wikkle where she knocked him outside of time and gave everyone three round to heal up and prepare devastating attacks.

The disir fight was made extra interesting by your use of the darkness and difficult terrain, and admittedly by the fact we had no idea what they were or what they could do because we picked the wrong knowledge checks. We had to locate the enemy before we could face them, and that added a creepy hide and seek element where you worried something would jump out or otherwise get the drop on you. And the Pokemon Go scyther jokes were fun. I also liked how some of the disir emerged later in the fight, fresh at full health and abilities and sneaking up behind the spellcasters, who thought they were so safe and easily ignored staying back in the clear. Multiple targets works well for this group particularly since we have a cohort, as it takes the focus off the main bad guys and let's them last longer AND makes the non-frontline people more engaged in defending themselves. And I'm always moved by it when one of the fighters comes over and dispatches the bully that's picking on the squishy arcane and divine casters, and on the other hand it's also gratifying when we squishier folk take out somebody on our own---so it's a win either way.

Thanks again, looking forward to more notes!
    "Fall into my pit trap, shame on you. Fill my pit trap with bloodthirsty sharp-toothed goblins with abyssal templates, shame on me." ---SuperBall

Hopefully I should have time to post a few more very soon. I should point out that the Ghost Treant Feolildas wasn't my idea. It was in the module.

Do you love the Dragonlace Forums? Do they provide you with hours of entertainment? Why not donate? Keep the hamsters running. Ask me how!

Default Session 23 - The Ruins of Micah, continued

Hey all, Superball here! I'm way behind delivering the game notes, so in the interest of time, I'm going to relax the regular format for awhile. Rather than just listing all of the characters and NPCs again and again, I've decided to drop you straight into the action. There have been cast changes between the last posted session and this one, but rest assured that all will be handily explained. In the meantime, let's get back to the action: The Ruins of Micah! -SB.

In the Ruins of Micah

The party continues through a dark cavern, unable to see much beyond the radius of the light spell on Krusk’s halberd and the moonglow around Redeemer and holy radiance of the Shard. There is a flurry of footfalls and out of the darkness charge three more scythe-handed lizard monsters! One heads for Wikkle and one for Kara and one swipes for Almarden, narrowly missing. Krusk---still twice his normal size from Wikkle's spell---retaliates with his enlarged halberd, skewering the mage's assailant (Large size equals AoOs for rushing enemies. Ack. -SB). Pidjit whips that same creature with hellfire, though the flames seem unable to harm its hide (Fire RESISTANCE. Boom. -SB). Pidjit then launches into a battle hymn and lashes Wikkle's aggressor. Almarden swings back at his foe with the Shard, but only grazes him. Kara invokes doom, causing one scythe-hander to become severely shaken. One scythe-hander claws and bites into Jhandra, but she resists its toxin. Its brethren rend and rip open Krusk and Caran with their claws and teeth but fail to poison them. Jhandra flanks an enemy and pokes her spear at him clumsily, in a misguided attempt to curry favor with the two mercenaries who rarely see her stand her ground and fight as they do. Caran chops into the closest opponent with Redeemer and Krusk eviscerates the most wounded one, dropping him dead. Pidjit springs to Wikkle's defense, scoring three deep gouges on her attacker with the Hellfire Lash. Wikkle nails the same foe with her crossbow. Almarden telekinetically sends the Shard spinning into a scythe-hander's hide before summoning it back into his grasp. Kara patches up Caran with her healing prayer. Three more aberrations arrive and Krusk and Pidjit strike them as they pass. An aberration gouges Wikkle and another does the same to Caran, while a third scores a deep cut across Krusk's leg that makes him stumble and leaves him open to two more strikes, including one that poisons him [-2 Dex] (Woo hoo! -SB). [Critical slash "Wide Open" normal and provoke AOO from all other opponents.] Jhandra spears her opponent and Caran slays one of the five abberations, then follows up with a deep slice into another's flank. [Critical slash "Muscle Wound" double damage +d2 (1) Str damage.] Krusk twirls his halberd overhead and slashes an enemy's throat, an intimidating display that leaves all their foes shaken. Pidjit realizes he has seen these creatures before in a book---they are disir, aberrant monsters rumored to be tunneling into Ansalon and bent on domination (Bardic Knowledge. It's a living. -SB). He calls out the disir traits he remembers, working them into his song (lol. -SB): darkvision and resistance to fire and poison that interferes with balance. As he sings the gnome scores a punishing lash across a disir's belly. [Critical bludgeon "Crushed Intestines" normal damage and save or 1d4 Con bleed, but creature avoids bleed.] (Have I mentioned how ridiculous the bludgeoning crits are in this deck lately? -SB) Wikkle lobs an acid bomb at Krusk's opponent that eats through its ravaged body and leaves it dead---two down, three to go. Almarden evokes a sheath of lightning around his palm and swipes at a disir, then retreats a step. Kara prays and mends Krusk's wounds. A disir goes for Pidjit and another for Jhandra but the heroes successfully dodge all three attacks, and the elf follows up with a successful spear jab. Caran is bit again but not poisoned and wallops his attacker back as well. Krusk runs through Jhandra's attacker with his halberd. Pidjit whiffs with his whip. Wikkle’s acid bomb douses and chews into the nearest target. Almarden runs up and slaps that same disir with his shocking grasp spell, sending literal shockwaves over his scales. Kara channels positive energy to heal her friends. The aberrations lash out in renewed frenzy, wounding Almarden (who resists their venom) and leaving Jhandra unconscious, bleeding, and poisoned [-4 Dex all together]. Caran decapitates a disir and Krusk guts the one that felled Jhandra. Pidjit lashes the last disir standing and Wikkle nails him with a bolt, then Almarden ends him with a disembowling slice from the fabled Shard of Light. [Critical slash “Disembowel” double damage and target takes d4 Con and d6 bleed.] Kara revives Jhandra. Pidjit expends the last reserves of their healing wand adorned with a cowbell. A few potions and spells later (cure mod, cure light, lesser res) they are all recovered enough to push forward. By then Wikkle’s spell has worn off and Krusk has “shrunk” to his still impressive height.

Superball, here. So, what was that all about?? The fight with the Disir warriors is traditionally straightforward: You march the XP up, and it gets shredded by the PCs and turned into part of a level. Not only did I have to seriously remodel the warriors if they were going to stand a chance against my group, but I had to frame the combat in an interesting way. Up until this point, my go-to curveball has been difficult terrain. Don't get me wrong here. I've got a minotaur mechanically built and equipped for the charge action. Nobody loves difficult terrain more than me, but it had been getting same-y. So, when they pressed deeped into the ruin, I described a Moria-like cavernous chamber. There was no way of knowing how high the ceilings were, and there was no way to see the enemy coming from all sides, except by the lights that they used. It was claustrophobic and nerve-wracking. I can't recommend a complete and total darkness enough. It's not just for mood, ladies and gentlemen. Unfortunately, my plan got thrown off by Krusk being hulked out, and thus gaining temporary reach. That made the encounter much more manageable for them. The encounter was still a straight up grind, but to my knowledge, three waves of three beefed up disir warriors swarming out of the darkness hadn't been done before. Moving on. -SB.

The adventurers continue deeper underground and reach a cavern draped in a gooey web-like substance with an acidic odor (Maybe there will be a nest of some kind, if the Alien franchise is anything to go by. -SB). Caran easily cuts aside the wall of webbing and gives them a clear view of their next obstacles. Near the center of the cavern stands a hulking scaly brute “half” amphidragon with vestigial wings and gills and webbing between his arms, plus three tougher looking disir with bigger carapaces and longer scythe claws, and last but not least a huge disir queen three times the size of a man perches in a crude nest of squirming larvae ("Get away from her, you b!%$#" -SB). (It seems a safe bet that creating mutant amphidragons is the reason the eggs were stolen, though the identity of the thieves remains uncertain.) The Queen shrills, “Kiiilll theeem! Bring their bodies so my children might feed!” (Did my best impression of the Geonosian queen from Clone Wars season one. -SB) Pidjit (Hero Point to go first. Do you have ANY idea how much it sucks to read that? -SB) casts a hastening spell and strikes up a ballad (That's why. -SB). Almarden drains magic from the magic missile wand and conjures black tentacles that burst from the ground and grapple their foes (I was accidentally read for this. -SB). Everyone but Pidjit notices a deep grinding, creaking noise all around them (Black Tentacles, technically an AoE that deals damage. -SB). The half-amphidragon is held fast (Ugh! -SB), but the trio of elite disir struggle forward. Caran charges and slashes an elite, whom Jhandra then zaps with a lightning bolt. Kara casts bane and the half-amphidragon quavers. The Queen frees herself and scuttles a few feet from her nest. Krusk charges and gores an elite. Wikkle and Pidjit miss their marks with bow and lash. Almarden readies a new spell in case something approaches him while his tentacle spell ensnares two elites and the Queen and batters all the creatures caught in its radius. The unsettling grinding and creaking sounds intensify (And thus does my rubbing of the hands and evil cackle also intensify. -SB). The hybrid strains to get free (*censored* -SB). One elite moves toward Kara and Jhandra while the other manages to pierce Krusk’s hide once and poisons him [-1 Dex]. Caran lands one in three strikes on a disir. The Queen’s earsplitting shrieks invoke a primal fear in the adventurers except for the impervious knight of Chislev (Noble rhetoric: Castigate. -SB). Pidjit strums his lute in a soothing countersong that allays his friends’ terror (And went on about NEVER getting to do that before. I was thrilled for him. At least he's not buffing everyone. -SB). Jhandra calls down a smiting blast on four of their enemies that shakes the cavern and causes chunks of the supporting pillars to crumble (YES. -SB). Kara’s doom spell does not quite cow the hybrid brute. The Queen escapes the tentacles long enough to reach their border. Krusk stabs an elite through the neck. The unstable cavern rains down a few rocks on Krusk’s thick skull. Pidjit strums a cacophonous chord (sound burst) that catches one elite and the Queen in an ear-popping burst. Wikkle spatters an elite with her acid bomb. Pidjit employs his countersong technique again. Almarden’s tentacle spell bludgeons their assailants and the room quakes and rains down pebbles again. The Ergothian realizes that one more dispersed blast of energy will collapse the whole room (Warning from me. -SB) and boldly chooses to use that catastrophe to his advantage (*censored* -SB). He withdraws beyond the pillars at the cavern mouth and yells to his companions, “Get out while you can, I’m bringing down the house!” (Hero points spent by Pidjit/Kara/Caran/Jhandra to withdraw from the room out of the normal turn order.) Of the wizard’s allies, Kara is the last to leave, reluctantly, while only Krusk remains behind (He was out of Hero points, and it wasn't his turn. I was sweating. -SB). The minotaur insists, “I’LL BE FINE, JUST DO IT!” Almarden’s fireball spell blooms in a bubble that is half roaring flame and half shimmering white radiance (All those High Sorcery Secrets... -SB). The disir nearest Krusk is incinerated on the spot and the rest are badly burned. The entire roof collapses in an avalanche of boulders and dust, crushing the hybrid amphidragon and all of the larvae to death and severely bludgeoning the remaining disirs. Miraculously, Krusk manages to duck beneath the cover of a pillar that falls but is propped up by one of its fellows, and he is completely unscathed (Evasion. Saved vs. 54 points of damage. -SB). The disir Queen scrambles out of the rubble and beyond the black tentacles’ reach at last, and her elite bodyguards do the same and trap Krusk between them. Krusk jams his halberd through an elite’s jugular and finishes it off with jab through its eye socket into its brain. Pidjit re-enters and snaps the bodyguard with his whip and a distracted Wikkle lets loose an errant bolt. Caran takes flight with Redeemer held straight above his head and slashes the Queen’s wasp-like face ("To the face." has become an in-joke with the group, thanks to Mark. -SB). Jhandra jolts the elite with lightning. Kara’s conjured quarterstaff of Mishakal brains the Queen. Almarden strides forth and mind-thrusts the Shard in a deadly spin, slitting the Queen’s abdomen. Her bodyguard claws Krusk’s face and the Queen drags a cruel claw down Caran’s sword arm. Krusk sees red and peppers the Queen’s carapace with two jabs before sinking his halberd into her vulnerable flesh. Pidjit cracks the Hellfire lash against elite disir flesh with an especially large flame at the tip that leaves a scorched wound. A rather dazzled Wikkle misses her next shot. Caran’s next overhead chop with Redeemer bisects the Queen’s head and slays her. Without pause the elf swings twice for her bodyguard, who dodges. Jhandra toasts the elite with her final bolt of the day. Kara’s quarterstaff narrowly misses the remaining disir and she turns her focus to healing Krusk through their spell bond. Almarden strikes the elite with the Shard. In a murderous frenzy the elite flails at Krusk, but the minotaur sidesteps with surprising grace for his size and pinions its twitching body to the floor on the business end of his halberd. It is over…or is it?

The companions hear the rumbling and echoes of multiple avalanches both near and far and realize it is only a matter of time before the entire underground complex comes crashing down. Almarden calculates they have perhaps ten minutes at best to rescue the amphidragon eggs before they are all buried alive…

Superball, here. The disir, it turns out, are next to impossible to grapple due to their insane bonuses to Escape Artist. Any other monster in this encounter, and I'd have been toast. Keep it here. Coming up: loot, bonus content, and the exciting conclusion of the Ruins of Micah! Same Lance-time, same Lance-channel!

Just one favor to ask as a reader...Could you break up some of those massive paragraphs when you guys are in combat? I don't know if anyone else has this issue, but its really hard for me to read those huge blocks of text for whatever reason. Otherwise, pretty cool.
    Head Moderator &
    Member of the Whitestone Council

"Hey look! I'm the Code of Conduct! Check me out!" -The Code of Conduct

Talking Session 23---Rocked in a Hard Place

@SB: My bad, from how you phrased the highly recommending the choice, I mistook the ghost template on a treant as your idea. Regardless it was very cool!

@SB: Such a nice surprise Thursday morning to see new notes posted I could read and enjoy all over again with witty commentary during breakfast!

This session two intense encounters took up the whole 3 hours or so and it was all very exciting and I didn't want it to end. I do not say this lightly, as I am usually all for a balance of combat and skill or social challenges or interaction. From a GM perspective you may have thought some of the creatures (especially the amphidragon hybrid) did not reach their potential. From a player perspective the queen and amphidragon in particular were extremely intimidating and we got VERY lucky with Almarden using the black tentacles spell, and the big nasties getting held back enough so they couldn't all attack at once. And the disir were, as you point out tough to grapple, so there's that, and they got plenty of good hits and some poison in. And nobody could have foreseen that Hail Mary ceiling gambit coming.

The falling ceiling countdown itself added an extra level of galvanizing nerves and interesting strategizing. You really had to way the cost and benefit of every AOE spell. The falling ceiling also led to an interesting involuntary roulette situation---will the occasional rock hit a friend or a foe? Plus there was the extremely memorable moment of everyone evacuating and the wizard bringing the ceiling down on purpose and Krusk making the sacrifice to stay behind (verbally anyway---I'm not saying he had a choice otherwise) and then miraculously Krusk dodging serious harm that took out an enemy, thus making the gamble worth it. Very dramatic, very epic. I found out later those larvae were never going to be a threat but I seriously expected them to swarm us and was relieved when the ceiling crushed them, though not as relieved as I was about the crushing of the amphidragon hybrid.

Everybody got to participate in a big way in the fight, and it always makes me smile when Sam/Pidjit gets to use a new ability (countersong!) or whip around the Hellfire Lash like boss. If everyone is as engaged as they were here, that means resources get used up and the next encounter is more challenging and nail biting, which is also a good thing. As will be clear next session, everyone was leery enough about the final encounter with the mystery foes guarding the eggs that instead of having Jhandra or Kara stay with the Tears, cohort Wikkle was sent away with them while Almarden teleported everyone else to rescue them, all hands on deck.

Keep the great encounters and notes coming!
    "Fall into my pit trap, shame on you. Fill my pit trap with bloodthirsty sharp-toothed goblins with abyssal templates, shame on me." ---SuperBall

For any interested parties, here is the Disir Elite, modified by the Queen to serve as her icky honor guard:

Disir Elite CR 8
    XP 4,800
    LE Advanced Medium Aberration Fighter 4
    Init +7; Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +16
    AC 24, touch 16, Ff 22

HP: 128
    Defense resist fire 5
    Fort +14; Ref +8; Will +11 (+1 vs. fear)

Speed: 30 ft.
    Melee 2 claws +14 (1d8+6 plus poison)
    w/Power Attack +14/+12 (1d8+10 plus poison)
    bite +13 (1d8+4 plus poison)[PA +11 1d8+8]
    Str 18, Dex 16, Con 18, Int 15, Wis 15, Cha 11
    BAB +7; CMB +11; CMD 24
    Feats Power Attack, Alertness, Improved Initiative, Weapon Focus (claw),
    Toughness, Weapon Specialization (claw), Improved Natural Armor
    Improved Natural Weapon (claw), Furious Focus, Dodge
    Skills Climb +16, Escape Artist +23, Perception +16
    SQ light-sensitivity, disir poison (DC 16)

The Disir Queen's secret weapon, which would have helped her to establish a foothold on Ansalon for the rest of her brood, if the Players hadn't intervened: The Disir Tyin Half-Amphidragon!

Disir Hybrid (Raging) CR 8
    XP 4,800
    N Advanced Large aberration (dragon) Barbarian 1
    Init +8; Senses darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision;Perception +5
    AC 25, touch 13, Ff 19
    HP: 106
    Fort +7; Ref +5; Will +9
    Defense resist fire 5; Immune paralysis, sleep, acid
    Speed: 50 ft., Swim 100 ft.
    Melee 2 Claws +16 (1d8+7), Bite +15 (1d8+7 plus poison)
    Tail Spike +13 (2d4+7)
    Space 10 ft.; Reach 10 ft.
    Special Attacks Acid Spit, Rage (13 rounds)
    Str 28, Dex 23, Con 24, Int 11, Wis 17, Cha 11
    BAB +5; CMB +8; CMD 21
    Feats Improved Natural Weapon, Weapon Focus (claw) Improved Initiative,
    Improved Natural Armor, Extra Rage
    Skills Climb +12, Escape Artist +18, Stealth +9
    SQ light sensitivity,
    poison (Fort DC 16, 1/rd. for 6 rds. 1d2 Dex)
    acid spit (3/day) 10ft. +6 ranged touch.1d6 acid for 1d4+1 rds.
    breath weapon (1/day) 60 ft. line of acid 4d6 damage (Ref DC 19 for half)
    rage +2 to attack and damage rolls, +2 to Will saves, +12 HP, -2 AC

And here's the Queen herself. The one monster in the entire campaign that's been able to cancel out the Bard.

Disir Queen CR 13
    XP 25,600
    LE Advanced Large aberration Noble 9
    Init +4; Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +23
    AC 23, touch 15, Ff 21
    HP: 182
    Defense resist fire 5
    Fort +8; Ref +13; Will +14
    Speed: 30 ft.
    Melee 2 claws +13 (1d6+4/19-20 x2 plus poison)
    bite +12 (1d8+4 plus poison)
    Str 18, Dex 18, Con 18, Int 17, Wis 19, Cha 22
    BAB +9; CMB +7; CMD 21
    Feats Alertness, Lightning Reflexes, Improved Natural Armor, Persuasive
    Skill Focus (Diplomacy), Weapon Focus (claws), Dazzling Display
    Dodge, Shatter Defenses, Improved Critical (claws)
    Skills Climb +12, Diplomacy +25 Escape Artist +20, Stealth +12
    Perception +23, Survival +12, Intimidate +22, Sense Motive +18
    SQ light-sensitivity, disir poison (DC 16), Political Arena (Taladas, Micah)
    noble rhetoric (10/day) move action, 14 rounds each
    - inspire confidence (+1 to attack rolls, +2 to all saves)
    - coordinate (+4 to aid another)
    - castigate (all enemies shaken. Will save vs. +25 Diplomacy check)

It brings me great pleasure to see our noble build attached to an actual stat block!
    Head Moderator &
    Member of the Whitestone Council

"Hey look! I'm the Code of Conduct! Check me out!" -The Code of Conduct