Page 19 of 36 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 358

Thread: Goblin Nonsense

  1. #181
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    260

    Default

    Gorvgo was unconscious, and Sparkskar and Striegboirk both felt a strong urge to stay away from the altar, a feeling from deep in their guts. A moment after the gob priest lay down, a wall of black-purple flame shot up on all sides of the altar. Gorvgo began to melt! He whimpered quietly in his sleep, and seemed to still mutter, and growl(?), at the skull hand puppet. The Barghest Pillars snarled to life, adding a chorus of wolfish howls to the chamber. As the din rose to a crescendo, the altar fires fully consumed the middling high priest of Rovagug as he lay on the altar and suddenly snuffed out, as if once the priest was gone, there was no fuel left to maintain it. The clangor-to-quiet was deafening to the two gobs still standing in the chamber. Of Gorvgo, his sandwich board and his macabre hand puppet there was no sign.

    Sparkskar and Striegboirk stood in a now darkened chamber. When the altar fires had consumed Gorvgo and been snuffed, the braziers in the corners of the chamber had also been doused. Chuffy still stood in the hall, perhaps glad he hadn't returned to the chamber in the first place. He gaped at the two still standing there, then sat down wearily.
    The energy in the chamber felt drained, as if nothing would happen here for a good long time. Safe enough to camp here, then. But Gobs and Bubbisa had never returned to the chamber, or even the hallway nearby as Chuffy had at least. The she-gob had been planning to explore further and Gobs seemed eager to please her. He'd expressed the same desire. What were they up to now?

    OoC
    If the spellcaster's and Chuffy want to camp, that's fine. Its safe. You can get in that 8 hour rest to recoup spells and what-not. After all that, nothing in here wants ANYTHING to do with that room anytime soon. If you want to explore, catch up to Bubbisa and Gobs as soon as you are ready. Perception check for the Bad Step Sigil, etc.

  2. #182
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    NeverNeverLand
    Posts
    1,477

  3. #183
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    64

    Default

    Gorvgo awoke with a groggy head. Like the time his mother made his broodlings all drink some foul poison and only he woke back up again. A little tear came to his eye as he thought of his dear fat little mother, and the taste of her plump flesh when she finally let her guard down around him. . . memories. . .
    "Rabbi Hug?" the goblin asked as he saw his new mentor reformed with flesh, "Is that you? Where am I?"
    "We are in the spirit world,"
    the shabby hobgoblin in the greasy robes replied.
    "Where is the other gobs?" Gorvgo looked around him and saw that the chamber looked the same except cleaner, newer maybe? The rubble from the blue goblin was gone and the barghest pillars were barking in that strange language insesitently, "The Lord Devourer! He is gone isn't he? Is our Lady here?"
    "Hahaha! You are an impertinent gob spit aren't you? Do you think the Insatiable Venklevore would dain to visit you personally. As unworthy and thin as you are?"
    "But Gorvgo ate the spider! He wants her to be with him! Give him hers powers!! Please RabbI Hug! Tell me about her! Show me hers secrets!!"
    The little goblin got on his knees, leaving grease stains from his robes on the alter. He crawled forward and grasped the hobgoblins equally grimey robes. Rabbi Hug gave the goblin a hard kick to the side of the head and laughed. He threw him a pail filled with putrid food.
    "Fine you pathetic priest. Eat this, the Lady does not like her followers skinny. . . It's not good for business. Besides," He added with a smirk, "she finds skinny goblin distasteful and unattractive."

  4. #184
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    260

    Default

    "What me looking at?" She asked as she ran a finger down Gobs neck. Bubbisa's attention had Gobs a-tremble! He shook himself free of his meandering mind as he took in Bubbisa's curves. She had leapt the shale step so easily, unconcernedly.
    Gobs pointed at the gate. "Look in here, Bubbisa." Gobs hunkered down beside the gate, carefully pointing to the smudge of ink showing an arcane symbol. "That magic rune. It a trap on gate. Not sure if I can disable.Wanna risk it?" Gobs grinned confidently, but inside he was unsure if he could really remove this magical trigger.
    "Gobs gonna try to smear rune so it no work. You watch Gob's back while he work." Gobs took a set of tools from a pouch, picks and files and sundry strange metal bits, skinny and bent funny. He selected one with care and set to sliding it between the gate doors, careful not to break the plane of the gate's back, nor to touch the rune itself. Gobs scratched at the metal near the rune, flaking it slightly. The metal peeled a bit and GObs worked at it, letting the peel reach the rune. Carefully now, he used the pick he had been scraping with and returned it to his pouch before returning with what he called a tweezer. He demonstrated how it worked and plucked a rather long nose hair, wincing only a bit.
    Gobs used the tweezer to worry at the peeled bit of metal with the arcane rune until it finally broke free of the rest of the metal. With the greatest care, Gobs slid the bit of marked metal into the open. The rune was no longer on the gate, but lying in Gobs' palm. Gobs dropped the rune bit safely on the steps behind he and Bubbisa.
    Gobs was on a roll! He didn't want to let up yet. "Gobs think it wise to still be careful. Bottom of stairs is where biggest threat will be."

    Gobs pushed through the gates, no longer afraid of them. He held the gates open for he and Bubbisa to pass and led the way cautiously down. Two more turns of the steps and they reached a bottom. But Gobs luck had finally run out. Eyes peeled for traps, he likely would have seen the trigger step. But eyes full of she-gob, and Gobs found himself wailing in pain.
    The third to last step was the trapped one. It was soft shale, like the one at the top, yet this step had been built with a trap binding the foot. Once the step had broken under even Gobs light weight, his foot had sunken below into what felt like a bear trap! The iron jaws had slammed shut as soon as Gobs' heel crunched down on its pressure pan. Already hurt, Gobs snarled woefully, stuck and unable to pry apart the jaws of the trap holding him.
    At the bottom of the stairs themselves, the corridor split in three different directions, no hallway seeming any different from the others. Bubbisa wasn't staring at Gobs like he did her, and she noticed the step just as Gobs foot scrunched down. Her hand shot out to jerk Gobs back as he almost fell forward onto the next step. Bubbisa could see that all three of those last steps were fakes. Gobs had merely gotten stuck in the first one, on the highest step. "Gobs! Other steps unsafe!" the she-gob barked, helping the struggling alchemist try and keep his balance.

    OoC
    Gobs Disable DEvice to remove magic trap d20(14)+10=24, success
    Gobs Perception to notice trap before he steps on it d20(8)+8=16, fails
    Bubbisa perception to notice trapped stairs d20(18)+13=31, big success, sees all three of bottom-most steps are trapped.
    Gobs reflex save to avoid trap d20(2)+11=13, fails, caught by trap, 3d4 damage (1,2,3)=6 damage
    Trap CMD to grapple Gobs d20(15)+10=25, Gobs is grabbed and held!
    Gobs is stuck in a trap. Strength check DC 16 to open, failure causes a d4 more damage, Escape artist 22 or CMD 20 to escape
    Last edited by SirIggy; 04-16-2017 at 07:08 AM.

  5. #185
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    St. Augustine, Florida
    Posts
    3,028

    Default

    "Striegboirk doesn't think that Striekboirk can fix him."

    Sparkskar nodded to the shaman. They were of the same mind. Nothing could fix the crazed gob at this point, and he wondered if perhaps he needed to put Gorvgo down. Several spells came to mind that could do the trick, but he might need such things to protect himself.

    "Getting sleep. Lot's to do tomorrow. Friends back there clearing a path."
    he jerked a thumb down the hallway they'd taken, beyond the strange door.

    "You can come too, and if you protect Sparkskar, Sparkskar will protect you with fire."

    With that, the Elementalist stepped away to find a hole to piss in, and another one to sleep in.
    Talon Everett Human Daring Infiltrator3/Rogue1 Wrath of the Righteous
    Ashtari Windglade Kender Fighter2/Rogue7 Hourglass in the Sky
    Sparkskar Brambleclaw Goblin Fire Elementalist2 The Kingdom of Zog

  6. #186
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    260

    Default

    Gorvgo ate everything that was in the pail Rabbi Hug handed him. He couldn't stop himself. Any time Gorvgo asked a question, it seemed that the Rabbi's, and thus Venkelvore's, answer was the same: Eat. No thought was given further than sustenance. Ever-consuming. As Gorvgo began to understand, he found he felt an irritation he couldn't understand. It wasn't a physical irritation, not at first anyway. More a nagging worry which became a grinding headache. Eventually, even eating didnt seem to help. So Gorvgo gathered up his pickles and walked out the chamber through the Barghest Door...

    ...And stepped back into the ruined chamber, standing beside the altar. Gorvgo leaped away as the altar was immersed in flames again before the corner braziers burst alight again. Sparky, Chuffy, and the strange blue gob appeared to just be waking up from a rest themselves. Perfect time to make some breakfast...

    OoC
    Gorvgo, you are back with Strieg and Sparky and Chuffy. Maybe the others, too. We'll see. Party (except Bubbisa and Gobs): you rest 8 hours and are reunited.

  7. #187
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Any jail cell of your local town
    Posts
    4,373

    Default

    Bubissa admired the trapmaster's grit. She chewed on her lower lip for a second before she bust out laughing. "Trapmaster caught by trap!" She said holding her stomach. "Oh it funny! Hahahaha!" She wiped a tear from her eye as she settled down. "Here let me help!" She said as she knelt on the step above Gobs. She looked around his trapped ankle. "Me got this!" She said as she laced her fingers and cracked her knuckles. She reached down and gripped the bear trap on each sides. "You ready? Me open trap, you wiggle free." She said as she let out snarl. Her arms strained for a second, muscles rippled as the vice opened under her power. "Now you be careful, more traps on steps. Me not want to carry dead Gobs out of here." She said with a smile.

    OOC: Use a round of rage. Strength check to open the trap. 1d20(11)+5= 16! Success.
    Last edited by Spasseltock Nimblefingers; 04-19-2017 at 12:59 PM.
    Spasseltock Nimblefingers kender CN (with good tendencies) Rogue/13, Handler/ 8
    Shayle Wist'lya Bothan Noble 3/Scoundrel 1/Scout 3/Infiltrator 2 Star Wars: Dawn of Defiance
    Evelyn Morningory Aasimar Warpriest of Sarenrae 2 Wrath of the Righteous
    Virgil Halard Human Ranger 4/Fighter 2/Rogue 2/Knight of the Lily 1 Hourglass in the Sky

  8. #188
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    St. Augustine, Florida
    Posts
    3,028

    Default

    Sparkskar’s eyelids pulled against the grip of sleep and eye goo to flutter like capes before bloodshot eyes. Above him, the ruined ceiling yawned its dire reminder that he was still in the ancient and unfamiliar homeland of his people. He sat up stiffly and sniffed, hoping beyond hope that there would be a cooking fire and the stink of something warm and meaty. To no avail… He hocked up a night’s worth of saliva and spat on the broken stones around his sore ass in contempt.

    With a chipped and jagged nail he scraped the sleep from his eyes and held his finger aloft so he could study the ugly yellow residue. Something instinctual pulled at his nerves and he nearly jammed the finger in his mouth, but then his mind overwhelmed that animalistic compulsion. Reason and intelligence warred with natural goblinesque thoughts in that constant battle within is undersized skull. This time, intelligence won out, but next time… Never mind that, he made a slurping sound before pulling the finger free of his lips. The inner goblin won the battle after all.

    But eye goo wasn’t a meal by itself. His gut gurgled and groaned, protesting against the meager offering and begging for more. He stood on knobby knees and planted the butt of his spear into the rough tiles of the ground, giving himself a sturdy object to lean against. He let out a groan as might a gob thrice his age, before scanning the rubble for signs of the blue-skinned gob. Perhaps Gorvgo had eaten him? Perhaps not…

    He pushed through the wreckage on his way back to the door that led to the danger of the halls and the statue that had extinguished the toothiest gob he had ever laid eyes upon. Then a thought occurred to him. Those ashes might be useful in some future spell. A component of sorts, he had to think ashen goblin flesh would be a splendid offering for one darkling spell or another. If not, perhaps he could use the ashes to commune with the little biter in the future. There were spells that could perform the task, or so he had read from a pilfered pamphlet some time ago. And they were going to tangle with Liches. Who better than to extract dark and delicious necromancy from than the apex predator of the school itself? Sparky leaped into the air and kicked his heels together at the thought.

    Soon he was stepping through the hallway with an empty scrollcase in hand. It would serve as a fine container for the ashes until he found a more suitable vial or tube. Who said goblins were not resourceful little buggers? He searched for the remains while his stomach continued to protest.

      Spoiler: OOC 


    Taking 10 to search for Dogbreath’s remains and will scoop them into the scrollcase, if they are still around.
    Talon Everett Human Daring Infiltrator3/Rogue1 Wrath of the Righteous
    Ashtari Windglade Kender Fighter2/Rogue7 Hourglass in the Sky
    Sparkskar Brambleclaw Goblin Fire Elementalist2 The Kingdom of Zog

  9. #189
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    260

    Default

    Sparkskar shuffled down the hallway where Dogbreath had so graphically been consumed and searched for his tribemate's scorched flesh and bones. Curiously, he found none. Which is not to say he found nothing.
    Sparkskar's diligent perusal of the corridor turned up a pair of black pawprints, burned into the rock deep enough to hold liquid, as if the rock itself were super-heated by the touch of those paws. They were massive; whatever creature they belonged to was large, like wagon large. The paws had claws, which left little scratches at the ends of the pawprints. Not as deep as the prints, but evidence that the claws, too, were more than a match for stone.
    Sparky's interest was piqued. But nothing was bubblong forth from the knowledge he had crammed into his tiny noggin. The prints reminded him of a barghest's, but he couldn't be sure. The stink of magics was still redolent. Powerful magics had been worked here, in just seconds, too. Sparky wasn't sure but planar travel could possibly leave an arcane residue of this sort, and anything that breached the walls between planes was certainly powerful. It gave him something to ponder while breakfast was procured.

    OoC
    Perception to find remains d20(took 10)+6=16; no remains to find, but paw prints easily noticed
    Knowledge (planes) d20(8)+7=15, recognize barghest paw prints, but they aren't standard; too big for one...
    Knowledge (arcana) d20(6)+9=15, not sure what kinds of magic were used, but it was very powerful stuff.
    Last edited by SirIggy; 04-19-2017 at 02:22 PM.

  10. #190
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    260

    Default

    Gobs held his breath, trying to be brave in front of Bubbisa, but the pain was intense."Trapmaster caught by trap! Oh it funny! Hahahaha!" She wiped a tear from her eye as she settled down. "Here let me help!" Bubbisa said as she knelt on the step above Gobs. He tried to concentrate on her closeness as Bubbisa leaned in and down to grasp the edges of the trap, but that created a different kind of groin issue. The shapely she-gob's nearness would quickly reveal Gob's... situation. So the alchemist instead concentrated on making his aching ankle as comfortable as possible inside the vices of the bear trap's teeth.

    "You ready? Me open trap, you wiggle free. Now you be careful, more traps on steps. Me not want to carry dead Gobs out of here."

    Bubbisa strained at the jaws of the trap. Her prodigious strength seemed just a bit too little and it angered her. Bringing her instinctual rage to the fore, Bubbisa's muscles rippled with her effort. She slowly pried open the jaws and Gobs, gratefully, drew his injured ankle free carefully. As soon as he was clear, Bubbisa let the jaws snap shut with a slight clang.

    Gobs was hurting. Bubbisa's advice that all three bottom steps were trapped was disheartening, but Gobs was determined to show Bubbisa he was the natural choice. He nodded to her. "Thank you, Bubbisa. Me not know if me could get free so easily as you made it look." The alchemist dug into his pouches, seeking his extracts. Did he prepare one to heal today? Gobs wasn't sure, so he did a quick inventory of his drinks. One, a clear fluid in a rounded jar, he opened and tipped back into his mouth. The batch was a good one and healing energy stole over Gobs, healing the damage the trap had done, but the bite marks from upstairs were still there.
    Gobs looked at the steps in front of him. He looked for the tell-tale signs of trapping. Bubbisa pointed out that both were trapped, but in what way? Gobs leaned out over the steps, careful to keep himself balanced, lest he fall forward and set off traps that would surely kill him. He noticed a slight gleam, as of something metallic, along the edge of the next step down. Peering at it, Gobs realized it was a nozzle. Something would fire out of there once the trigger- and here Gobs traced a finger lightly along the nozzle, backwards from its tip -was discovered. He felt a slight protrusion, secreted under the lip of the step above, and followed it to a misshapen pebble. Gobs could feel it was metal, despite the stone-colored paint used to mask it. Gobs took a moment to marvel at the apparent lack of ageing the paint had suffered. What substance had been used to make it last so long? Gobs' own version of this, back in the BrambleHall, required re-painting every moon, more often for those exposed to weather.
    "Watch that pebble. It trigger." Gobs pointed out the trigger without even glancing at Bubbisa as he hopped down a step and looked at the bottom stair. Now that he was paying attention, and Bubbisa was pointing out the clues she had noticed, Gobs easily noted the crumbly shale. Scraping at the step, he soon managed to open a hole to peer inside. Rather than a bear trap like he had seen above, or a trap designed to trip, this one held a brownish glop. Gobs leaned closer to the hole and sniffed, inhaling strongly.
    "This no make sense. Burnpaste too fresh. Bubbisa, someone must still live here!" Gobs half-pulled his sword free from its scabbard. He scanned the hallway beyond the stairs, searching for this enemy. Nothing appeared. Slamming his sword back into its sheath, Gobs set to knocking free pebbles and rock chips from the walls, jabbing them into nooks and crannies around the fake shale bracing, until actual stone kept the stair in place instead. As he worked, Gobs explained to Bubbisa his suspicions.
    "Burnpaste easy to make. Like glue, but burns so good! Extra hot! Burns slow, so victims hurt longer. Hard to get off once on you, especially after fire is on, too. But burnpaste no last long. Three days, maybe. Less potent each day, too. In jar, or sealed at least, maybe last a quarter moon. Maybe ten day. Still loses potency, but slower. If Zog gone since many winters of moons, who make new burnpaste? This brand new, too"
    Gobs finished his re-engineering job, paused to charcoal the BrambleHall "bad step" sign on the middle step and hopped onto the last step to make sure it was sturdy. He grinned ferally at Bubbisa. "Do we hunt? Or do we return to get others?"

    OoC
    Bubbisa DC 16 Str check , success; Gobs pulls his ankle free
    Gobs drinks extract of CLW d8(5)+1=6; gets back the bear trap dmg
    Gobs Perception check to find traps (aided by Bubbisa) d20(11)+10=21, success, sees both traps
    Gobs Disable Device d20(14)+10=24, success; due to beating DC by 5 or more (DC 18), Gobs gets s craft(alchemy) to identify the substance in the trap
    Gobs Craft(alchemy) d20 (19)+8=27, identifies burn paste; its kinda like napalm
    DC 10 Perception check to notice BrambleHall sigil for bad step, as previously noted;
    Last edited by SirIggy; 04-19-2017 at 03:17 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •