Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Wizard Tradition for Another Continent

Default A Wizard Tradition for Another Continent

I have kind of a wizard tradition in mind that I think would work in one of Krynn's continents (other than Ansalon). It's a rough idea in my head and I wanted to run it by you guys to see what you think, and where it should be put.

Rather than have a group of orders, I'm thinking of a master/apprentice relationship. The moons affect their magic, as on any continent.

While there may not be Towers of High Sorcery, there are places of arcane power (like the Pillars of the Moons on Taladas). Wizards are drawn to those places during the Night of the Eye, and wizards of all alignments work great magic during this time.

While these wizards don't wear robes, some do wear some sort of clothing denoting their allegiance. It may not be obvious.

Plus, these wizards all have a tattoo (oftentimes on the inner wrist). I'm thinking this variant yin-yang symbol I came up with.

Would this sort of tradition work within the framework of Taladas? Would it fit better in the Oriental Adventures land of Royodo? Certainly, the symbol suggests the latter.

Just a rough outline thus far. What do you think?
    Trampas Whiteman
    ---DragonHelm--->

Long Live the Lance!

"Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Dragonlance Nexus!"
    -David "Big Mac" Shepheard

I think it's a great jumping off point. If we think of High Sorcery as a religion like any other, it only makes sense that it would be interpreted differently in different places, with only a few universal themes. The first thing I would do is identify what it was exactly that the gods of magic laid down that was immutable. What are the things that will remain constant regardless of where you are.

1. Study, memorization, and practice.
    2. Orders based on the moons and their cycles
    3. The Test.
    4. ???

I can't think of anything else. There's probably more, but once you have those things you can build around them. I like the idea of a one on one mentor/student relationship. Kind of like a Jedi and Padawan. Nodes of power that wizards are drawn to. Sacred laws of magic that are respected by wizards or you'll be stigmatized or killed.

One thing this makes me think of is how (if we use Ansalon as a metaphor for Western Europe) the practices of other continents would seem uncivilized, or at least, disorderly to the Ansalonian wizard even though at the core of it all it's the same thing.

Great start!
    Last edited by Aelfwyn; 07-29-2016 at 04:00 PM.

The tattoo would be a great replacement for the magic item a wizard receives after passing the Test. Maybe one could use it as an arcane focus. With rules for rune magic coming out soon, this might be a great way to apply them to DL.

I think Royodo would be the best fit.
    did you ever get the Wujen Tradition for 5th Edition I sent you that incorporates moon magic?
    The Shattered Lands or Royodo and the Dragon Throne
    Come one come all see what lies in the mists of this lost land of Krynn

I think that's just an awesome tattoo for a Dragonlance fan to get.
    Head Moderator &
    Member of the Whitestone Council

"Hey look! I'm the Code of Conduct! Check me out!" -The Code of Conduct

I think it's a cool idea. Perhaps one could make the cult aspects more relevant?
    It is the spirit of the game, not the letter of the rules, which is important. Never hold to the letter written, nor allow some barracks room lawyer to force quotations from the rule book upon you [...] YOU ARE CREATOR AND FINAL ARBITER.
    E. G. Gygax, Dungeon Masters Guide, 1979.

Quote Originally Posted by Tauren_Kai-Jere View Post
    I think that's just an awesome tattoo for a Dragonlance fan to get.

I've never really considered having a tattoo, but I might be persuaded for that one.
    Trampas Whiteman
    ---DragonHelm--->

Long Live the Lance!

"Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Dragonlance Nexus!"

I wonder what the symbol would look like if the three blended in the center to look like the Night of the Eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Nael View Post
    I think Royodo would be the best fit.
    did you ever get the Wujen Tradition for 5th Edition I sent you that incorporates moon magic?
    I don't think so. Can you re-send?
    Trampas Whiteman
    ---DragonHelm--->

Long Live the Lance!

The design is beatiful!

I'm thinking more on a magical brand, something burnt into the flesh when the apprentice is ready to become a proper wizard. It suits the oriental approach, too.

BTW, how many Otherlands have been described?