Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 244

Thread: Dragons on the River of Time [Sixth Quest - "Adrift"]

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ulgaard
    Posts
    1,754

    Default

    "The spell worked, we are in a bubble of invisibility. As long as you dont wander too far, you shouldnt be seen. That being said, we need to move quickly."
    "It's not a game of Final Fantasy where you can step outside the plot for a bit and train up your stats, it's a potentially apocalyptic final chapter in an epic drama." - Brass Tiger Captain

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    The Anvil of Time
    Posts
    18,862

    Default

    Yet no one moved. No one even spoke to acknowledge Beldyn's explanation. The small group of survivors remained stranded together within Ulin's ring of protective purple flames, waiting for either the dead to attack again or the fires to burn out. As they waited, however, the unnatural silence coming from Flint's side began to spread. More of the crackling flames fell silent. Beldyn felt a chill wash over him. Flint shuddered.

    Tas tried to say something about it, but was shocked to find that no words came out of his mouth. Frantically the kender tried to say anything, flailing his arms to get everyone's attention and stomping his feet on the broken remains of the Inn of the Red Dragon, but no noises came. His boots didn't make a sound when they connected with the debris beneath them. It was like all of the sound in the world had been terribly and inexplicably sucked away.

    When Tas finally tapped Flint on the shoulder, the dwarf's eyes bugged out of his head when he found he couldn't reply to the kender. Like Tasslehoff, the dwarf's voice had been silenced despite his best efforts to scream and curse it back into existence. The kender immediately tugged on Ulin's pant leg, repeatedly pointing to his silently gulping mouth when the sorcerer turned about.

    Code:
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .l. . . . . . . . . .i. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .*.*. . . . . . . . .a. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . .m. . .*.*. . .*.*. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .*. . . . .*. . . . . . .b. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 
    . . . . . . . . . . . . .n. . .*. . .G.B. . .*.h. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .*. . .U.T.N. .*.#.#. .c. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .o. .*. .F.D. .*. .#.#. . . . . . .d. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .*.*. . .*.*. . . . . . . . . . . .e. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    . . . . . . . . .p. . .q. . .r. . . .*.*. . . . . .t. . .u. . . . . . .f. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    The entire map is considered difficult terrain and shadowy illumination. 
    lowercase letters= skeleton   #= grasping zombies   *= 20 ft. high wall of fire     
    T= Tasslehoff   N= Flint   U= Ulin   D= Downfall   F= Fao   B= Beldyn   G= Antog
    OOC -
    DM Speak: There's been no activity on the thread for three days, so I'm acting for everyone left in the round.
    Downfall assumes total defense as a standard.
    Antog assumes total defense as a standard.
    Flint assumes total defense as a standard.
    Tas readies an attack action as a standard.
    Skeletal champion and skeletons do stuff out of sight. Beldyn, Flint, and Tas are currently incapable of speech or making noise.
    End of Round 3. Beginning of Round 4.

    You're up guys!
    Head Moderator &
    Member of the Whitestone Council


    "Hey look! I'm the Code of Conduct! Check me out!" -The Code of Conduct

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    12,569

    Default

    Ulin willed his spell of flame to extinguish. The sorcerer gestured to everyone to gain their attention, and made ready to walk as a group.

    OOC: Standard action to dismiss Wall of Fire.

    Holding move action as we all need to move together.
    Last edited by rogue; 07-06-2016 at 11:43 PM.
    -Dragonlance Nexus Social Media Manager-
    GM - ICRP: Star Wars - Dawn of Defiance

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ulgaard
    Posts
    1,754

    Default

    Beldyn clawed at his throat as nothing came out. He hoped it was the foul magic that silenced him and not something more permanent.
    "It's not a game of Final Fantasy where you can step outside the plot for a bit and train up your stats, it's a potentially apocalyptic final chapter in an epic drama." - Brass Tiger Captain

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,817

    Default

    Downfall nodded to Ulin, ready to move.
    Salinus Wavebreaker - KoD, SoS
    Tempest "Downfall" Windstrider - DoA, DoW, DRT
    Simone Belmonte - JoNS, JN, DRT

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    The Anvil of Time
    Posts
    18,862

    Default

    The dead stood silently around the mute and stricken group, staring with flickering yellow fire at the nothing left behind by the vanished circle of flame. Under the cover of darkness and the distant sounds of Tarsis the Beautiful's death throes, five frightened men, a wolf, and a kender moved slowly away from the cold skeletal rider atop his bloody steed. Carefully, they picked their way across shattered stone, broken limbs, and burnt wood of the Inn of the Red Dragon's corpse as it puffed dust and ash beneath their slipping, ever-shifting boots.

    Beldyn was relieved to discover he could hear his own breath again the further they moved away from their undead sentinels. He could now hear every nerve-wracking pebble he kicked and every sweaty slip of the foot. Still the dead did not move. The priest only dared to glance back when he heard the rider's Abyssal chanting, but knew that they would out of sight of the orison the thing was using to detect the presence of magic before it could truly see them.

    Stepping onto the cobblestone street a few minutes later was like stepping into a swiftly flowing river. Even moving as a huddled mass as they were, their own legs nearly ran off without themselves the moment they were on solid ground.

    Knowing the illusion wouldn't last more then a few more minutes Ulin began searching for somewhere for them to hide and regroup. Where ever they were appeared to have once been one of the wealthier areas of the city – maybe a half century ago. Everything here had been boarded up for decades. The white-washed garden walls of the broken estates glowed a dingy white in the darkness where they weren't overgrown with ivy.

    Looming off to their right was the silhouette of a large three-story mansion. The bronze gates to the grounds were green with age and hung twisted from their hinges. There was some kind of weathered four-story circular tower looming to their left. A nearby flash of lightning briefly showcased the broken empty windows and shattered doorways to both places.

    It also revealed the flash of something large and white winging its way overhead. They needed to take cover quickly, before something worse than an army of skeletons found them.

    OOC -
    DM Speak: Even if the party doesn't attempt to move stealthily, none of the undead have a Perception skill high enough to spot an invisible person moving about with their normal senses. However, the rider's detect magic cantrip could ferret the party out as they move, but fortunately for you given his position on the map and the party's rate of movement, by the time he can detect an aura and realize its moving you'd be out of the spell's range anyway, so you guys are clear! Nice job!

    So will you take refuge in the mansion, the folly, or keep moving? You've got 4 minutes of invisibility left. XP will be up shortly.
    Last edited by Tauren_Kai-Jere; 05-24-2017 at 11:11 PM.
    Head Moderator &
    Member of the Whitestone Council


    "Hey look! I'm the Code of Conduct! Check me out!" -The Code of Conduct

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ulgaard
    Posts
    1,754

    Default

    Greatful to hear his own voice again, Beldyn whispered with urgency. "Thank you for once again saving us. Now we must make haste again before further disaster befalls us." Looking at Tas and Flint, "Do you know where we are? What those building are around us? Any where we can find a safe haven?"
    "It's not a game of Final Fantasy where you can step outside the plot for a bit and train up your stats, it's a potentially apocalyptic final chapter in an epic drama." - Brass Tiger Captain

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    The Anvil of Time
    Posts
    18,862

    Default

    "Tarsis," Flint whispered back. "It was supposed to be one of the last safe havens from the dead. It was safe for about two days, then this happened. There's nowhere safe left on Krynn from Soth's Dracolich Hordes."

    "We really should get out of the street," Tas chimed in quietly. "I'm pretty sure there's a dracolich flying around."

    "Aye," Flint said, surveying the street. The dwarf's eyes settled on the folly's silhouette. "That little tower looks solid."

    OOC -
    One vote for the folly. One more vote either way and I'll move you guys out of the street.
    Last edited by Tauren_Kai-Jere; 07-11-2016 at 09:25 PM.
    Head Moderator &
    Member of the Whitestone Council


    "Hey look! I'm the Code of Conduct! Check me out!" -The Code of Conduct

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ulgaard
    Posts
    1,754

    Default

    "Tarsis? I had heard stories about it being on the sea coast." Beldyn explained in his confusion. He wasnt a strategist and looked again at their options, the mansion's windows would be hard to defend and the tower looked solid. "To the tower, I say."
    "It's not a game of Final Fantasy where you can step outside the plot for a bit and train up your stats, it's a potentially apocalyptic final chapter in an epic drama." - Brass Tiger Captain

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    The Anvil of Time
    Posts
    18,862

    Default

    “We'd heard the same stories,” Tas said quietly, already slinking towards the tower grounds. “We'd heard it was beautiful too. It mostly looked like this,” he said with a wave towards the dilapidated street.

    Flint quickly fell in beside the kender, both of them stopping at the broken down gate to overgrown gardens surrounding the folly to scan the darkness for the dead. Satisfied the grounds were clear, the dwarf and the kender led the group to the shattered wooden door to the four-story structure.

    Producing a pebble from one of his pockets the kender signaled for the others to wait, then tossed it inside. When nothing happened for a few moments Tas took a cautionary step across the threshold and with a tired smile waved the group into the large circular room.

    There were four boarded up windows spaced evenly around the room and a set of crumbling stone steps to the upper levels. The mosaics on the floor were chipped and faded. Whatever picture the tiles had once created had long since been destroyed by age and vandals. Inside the decorative building they would be safe from whatever horrors the kender had spotted in the night sky. The open doorway meant no fire, but perhaps if the gods smiled on them they'd have a few hours of peace.

    “Thank you,” Flint said to Ulin. “If you hadn't shown up when you did I'm sure we'd be ghoul-food by now. Goldmoon said...” He sighed sadly. “She always said you had a knack for being where you needed to be.”
    Head Moderator &
    Member of the Whitestone Council


    "Hey look! I'm the Code of Conduct! Check me out!" -The Code of Conduct

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •