Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 244

Thread: Dragons on the River of Time [Sixth Quest - "Adrift"]

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    The Anvil of Time
    Posts
    18,873

    Default Dragons on the River of Time [Sixth Quest - "Adrift"]

    One moment Ulin Majere was free-falling through a fiery emerald hell, the next moment everything was dark and he was lying in a smoldering pile of broken wood and shattered masonry. He heard nothing at first. His ears were filled with a dull roar that muffled everything else. He blinked his teary eyes and stared up through the haze.

    Ulin had never been so grateful to see stars. His eyes immediately found the Book of Souls in the heart of the night and drifted about, seeking more things to ground him in the sky. Solinari was an impotent sliver, but Lunitari was swollen and full of blood. He found Nuitari's hole, but quickly realized there were two more holes in the sky: The Valiant Warrior and the Goat's Skull were missing.

    WELCOME BACK, the Marauder cackled in his mind.

    Downfall Tempest Windstrider was the first of the stranded Exiles to find his feet, but couldn't stop staring dazedly at what was underneath of them. It was a wooden dragon, its faded red paint now blackened and burned. The dragon itself had been cracked in half by some great force, likely the same one that had leveled the large three-story building. He wondered if some version of his companions had died here. He had gone to sleep with Fao in his room in the Inn of the Red Dragon and awoken in the Wayfarer's sanctuary. He'd never known what had happened to Ferretas or Hab or Addy or even the obnoxious Knight. He'd hadn't thought about it before now. It wasn't practical to be distracted by such things living this life. Standing here and now, however, he had to wonder if this had been their destiny - to die in the wreckage of Tarsis, surrounded by the dead.

    He heard Faoiltiama whimper at his side. He heard her. The ringing and the pain of the Wayfarer's chaotic plunge finally fading away. He could hear the distant screams now as the storm ravaged the city. Odd though, to hear lightning strikes on a cloudless night. That meant Wizards. Or worse. He could see what surrounded them in the dark.

    It was worse.

    Beldyn Pilofiro stared at the silent army of the dead that encircled them. The kender was shouting something, threatening to bash in the dwarf's skull before he turned or some such nonsense, but he wasn't really sure. It was like his head had been dunked under water and he couldn't find the surface. Everything was cold and muffled and echoed unnaturally. However, Beldyn could clearly see the skeletal warrior atop its bloody steed, watching him with glittering yellow eyes from beneath its black bat-winged helm. A sickle hung from its belt and a cursed medallion of bone lay against its banded mail chest. A breeze that stank of burnt flesh and blood ruffled the thing's tattered blue burial shroud of a cloak. The silhouettes of broken buildings that jutted above the shadowy streets were filled with the silent yellow eyes of dozens upon dozens of unmoving skeletal warriors.

    “Ulin? Ulin, that is you!” Tasslehoff Burrfoot was shouting. “I think there are others buried in the wreckage, but I have to put Flint down before he...Before he..."

    Ulin ignored the Marauder's cackling and finally saw the others who were with him: Antog, Beldyn, Downfall, and the elf's wolf. Tasslehoff Burrfoot was there too, his clothes torn and his face blackened and bloody. The kender hero looked like he'd been inside the building when it had collapse and had managed to dig himself out. He was standing over the inert form of Flint Fireforge, his hoopak poised and shaking over the old dwarf's bruised and swollen face. There were clear rivulets of pink on the kender's cheeks where his tears had washed away the aftermath of the wreckage. At a glance, the dwarf certainly looked dead, but on a Krynn where Lord Soth's armies of the dead marched across Ansalon death wasn't usually the end of things.

    Ulin had hoped he would never see this cursed world again.

    “Please help us,” Tasslehoff pleaded, as he bravely fought back tears. “I don't want to kill him too.”

    OOC -
    No map yet guys. We're going to be bouncing between the two parties for a bit until things get sorted out story-wise. I only want to see posts from the characters in the scene for now. In the meantime, if any of you have any questions hit me up on the planner. Welcome back to “Dragons of Death” Ed and Matt.
    Last edited by Tauren_Kai-Jere; 05-24-2017 at 11:05 PM.
    Head Moderator &
    Member of the Whitestone Council


    "Hey look! I'm the Code of Conduct! Check me out!" -The Code of Conduct

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ulgaard
    Posts
    1,792

    Default

    As his vision came into focus, Beldyn tried to make sense of what was going on. The last he could remember was being frozen in place, watching in paralyzed horror as his companions fought the demon. And now he was surrounded by undead. He quickly felt for his medallion of faith, the platinum triangle of Paladine, the familiar shape giving him temporary comfort. He was about to raise it high and call on the God to banish the undead when the prayer died on his lips, he was not suppose to be here. He had promised himself of another time that he would surrender himself. He looked at Ulin, who seemed to be able to communicate with the Wayfarer, only then did he realize that their group was not complete. Something had gone horribly wrong.
    "It's not a game of Final Fantasy where you can step outside the plot for a bit and train up your stats, it's a potentially apocalyptic final chapter in an epic drama." - Brass Tiger Captain

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,817

    Default

    Woozy and disoriented, Downfall's comfort level dropped even further as he noted the undead surrounding them. The normally battle eager warrior seemed visibly shaken by the presence of the unnatural foes. He looked nervously around for each of his companions. Some of them were missing, and he feared the worst.
    Salinus Wavebreaker - KoD, SoS
    Tempest "Downfall" Windstrider - DoA, DoW, DRT
    Simone Belmonte - JoNS, JN, DRT

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    12,607

    Default

    “Gods damn it,” Ulin screamed. Why was he here? Here of all places! The place of his mistake, a cursed one where his feelings of attachment got the better of him. Seeing an army of undead creeping closer, the sorcerer sprang into action. He approached Tas, a spell upon his lips.

    “Tas, is Flint dead. Where is Tanis and Goldmoon,” Ulin asked authoritatively. The leader in him took over, and he issued orders where once he would be reticent to do so.

    “Beldyn, can you tend to the dwarf. Everyone gather around us, and I can try to get us out of here!”

    OOC: Ulin will take a move action towards Tas and Flint. Will make a readied action to cast a spell.
    -Dragonlance Nexus Social Media Manager-
    GM - ICRP: Star Wars - Dawn of Defiance

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    The Anvil of Time
    Posts
    18,873

    Default

    Ulin's words seemed to provoke the dead into action. The skeleton astride the disgusting dead horse spurred its viscera-coated steed forward. The undead officer signaled its troops towards the disoriented group with a silent wave of its hand. Then, as its mount clattered forward, it clutched its unholy medallion and began rasping a prayer to Chemosh in some unholy language that even Beldyn didn't recognize. He recognized the evil god's name in the blasphemous litany, however. Ulin, on the other hand, felt the cold touch of the grave as he barked his orders to the others, as the Lord of Bones tried and failed to hold him in place.

    “I don't know!” Tas shouted back at Ulin, tears falling freely from his face as the dead advanced. Antog was already backpedaling towards the kender, Wightwilter gripped tightly in both hands. “I don't know if he's dead and I don't know where Tanis or Goldmoon or Jaymes or Rouge or Laurana or anyone else is! I'd even be glad to see one of those damn knights right now!”

    Code:
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    . . . . . . . . . .l. . . . .k. . . .j. . .1.1. .g. . . .h. . .i. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1.1. . . . . . . . . . . .a. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    . . . . . . . .m. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .B. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .b. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 
    . . . . . . .n. . . . . . . . . . .G. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .U. . .T.N. . . . .D.F. . . . . .c. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    . . . . . . . . .o. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .d. . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .e. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    . . . . . . . . .p. . .q. . .r. . .v. . .s. . . . .t. . .u. . . . . . .f. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    *The entire map is considered difficult terrain and shadowy illumination. 
    11= skeleton/bloody skeleton horse     a-v= skeleton     T= Tasslehoff   
    N= Possibly dead Flint   U= Ulin   D= Downfall   F= Fao   B= Beldyn   G= Antog

    OOC -
    Initiative! Undead (d20+6): 26. Heroes (d20+4): 11. Undead win!
    Beginning of Round 1.
    Skeletal Champion moves forward 20 ft. as a move action and casts a spell as a standard.
    Beldyn, DC 17 Spellcraft check (d20+13): 14. Fails. Does not recognize the spell.
    Ulin, DC 21 Spellcraft check (d20+21): 39. Succeeds. Recognizes the focused divine spell hold person.
    Ulin, DC 14 Will save (d20+10): 27. Succeeds. Ulin is not paralyzed.
    Skeletons move 30 ft. as double move actions.
    Antog moves 20 ft. as a double move action.

    You're up guys!
    Last edited by Tauren_Kai-Jere; 07-25-2016 at 11:56 PM.
    Head Moderator &
    Member of the Whitestone Council


    "Hey look! I'm the Code of Conduct! Check me out!" -The Code of Conduct

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ulgaard
    Posts
    1,792

    Default

    Moving with heroic speed, Beldyn moved to possibly dead dwarf's side. Normally, the cleric would call down righteous judgement down upon the evil priest but they needed warriors, and fast. Calling out to Paladine, Beldyn hoped they were in a time in which his God would hear him and save the dwarf if he had passed and heal him if he had not. They would soon know.

    ooc: Heroic Surge to move to the square north of Flint.
    Breath of Life: 5d8(1,6,8,7,4,)+10 = 36
    Last edited by elder; 06-13-2016 at 11:19 PM.
    "It's not a game of Final Fantasy where you can step outside the plot for a bit and train up your stats, it's a potentially apocalyptic final chapter in an epic drama." - Brass Tiger Captain

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    12,607

    Default

    Ulin barreled forward to stand next to Tas, watching Beldyn work the power of his god. Thankfully Paladine still existed on this fork in the River.

    "Downfall, Antog, come quickly," he yelled.

    OOC: Ulin moves to the square west of Tas. Ulin readies a standard action to cast a spell.
    Last edited by rogue; 06-14-2016 at 08:05 AM.
    -Dragonlance Nexus Social Media Manager-
    GM - ICRP: Star Wars - Dawn of Defiance

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,817

    Default

    Downfall scrambled across the rubble the best he could, making his way to Ulin and his apparent comrades. He called an order to Faoiltiama in Elven as he drew his blades and hoped for the best.

    OOC
    - Double Move Action while drawing Kukris, ending south of Tas.
    - Free Action - Handle Animal can't fail. Fao to Defend Ulin.
    Salinus Wavebreaker - KoD, SoS
    Tempest "Downfall" Windstrider - DoA, DoW, DRT
    Simone Belmonte - JoNS, JN, DRT

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    The Anvil of Time
    Posts
    18,873

    Default

    However, the shifting debris beneath the elf's feet revealed the mangled arms of the undead, reaching hungrily for his legs, as he carefully maneuvered across the piles of broken stone and timber. Nimbly dancing away from the hidden zombies he hastily rejoined the others. Fao skirted the danger zone and obediently took up a position at Ulin's side as Flint Fireforge roared back to life.

    “Reorx's beard!” the dwarf swore as he sat straight up.

    He barely had time to right his dented helmet and clutch his bruised forehead before Tasslehoff Burrfoot threw himself on his friend, shouting, “Flint!” though tears of joy.

    The old dwarf stiffened for a moment, but acquiesced to a stiff, firm hug.

    “Alright lad, enough of that,” he grumbled, untangling himself from the kender. He yanked his axe from beneath a nearby broken table as he pulled himself to his feet.

    Flint took everything in with a weary, practiced eye before he recognized Ulin.

    “You again! I ought thump you upside the head for leaving the way you did. You nearly gave me a heart attack! Where's everyone else?” he asked cautiously.

    Code:
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    . . . . . . . . . .l. . . . .k. . . .j. . .1.1. .g. . . .h. . .i. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1.1. . . . . . . . . . . .a. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    . . . . . . . .m. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .b. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 
    . . . . . . .n. . . . . . . . . . .G. . . .B. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .U.T.N. . .#.#. . . . . . . .c. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    . . . . . . . . .o. . . . . . . . . .F.D. . . .#.#. . . . . . . . . . . . .d. . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .e. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    . . . . . . . . .p. . .q. . .r. . .v. . .s. . . . .t. . .u. . . . . . .f. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    *The entire map is considered difficult terrain and shadowy illumination. 
    11= skeleton/bloody skeleton horse     a-v= skeleton     #= grasping zombies
    T= Tasslehoff   N= Not Dead Flint   U= Ulin   D= Downfall   F= Fao   B= Beldyn   
    G= Antog
    OOC -
    Beldyn moves 30 ft. as a move action, uses a Heroic Surge to move another 30 ft., then casts his spell as a standard. He heals Flint of 36 points of damage. Flint is conscious.
    Ulin moves 10 ft. as a move action and speaks as a freebie.
    Downfall triggers a Grasping Zombies Trap as he moves towards Tas. Trap (d20+8): 11. Misses.
    Fao moves 45 ft. as a double move action to Ulin, avoiding the “trapped” area.
    Flint stands from prone as a move action and recovers his battleaxe as a second move action.

    Tas still has all his actions left this round, but try and cast your spell first, Ed!
    Last edited by Tauren_Kai-Jere; 07-25-2016 at 11:57 PM.
    Head Moderator &
    Member of the Whitestone Council


    "Hey look! I'm the Code of Conduct! Check me out!" -The Code of Conduct

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    12,607

    Default

    Glad that the Flint lived, Ulin did a quiet count realizing he could not safely Dimension Door everyone away in one burst. He needed time. He needed to delay. The sorcerer dipped into the veil of primal sorcery, and a circle of flame surrounded the group. Small at first, the sheets became a roaring 20-foot high conflagration that protected them for the moment.

    OOC: Ulin casts Wall of Fire to buy some time. It surrounds the group in a circle with the heat going outward of course. Can do a max 25 foot radius, which should protect everyone, I think.

    Edit: Looking at the map, a 15-foot might do it, or a 20. There is a chance some of the undead might be caught in the wall so I will add some more damage.

    Damage:

    Creatures within 20 feet take 1D4 = 1 (doubled to undead) = 2 fire damage
    Creatures within 10 feet take 2D4 = 3 (doubled) = 6 fire damage
    Creatures caught in the wall (potential) = 2D6(2) + 10 = 12 (doubled) = 24 fire damage
    Last edited by rogue; 06-15-2016 at 09:49 AM.
    -Dragonlance Nexus Social Media Manager-
    GM - ICRP: Star Wars - Dawn of Defiance

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •