Page 22 of 38 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Thread: DL 3 Dragons of Hope; IC; Chapter 3

Vale joins the cleric in fending off her foe, stabbing with his rapier when the opportunity presents itself.

Lightbulb Rough

Spins aside out of Thorns way to give him plenty of room to fight, moving back unsure what to do. He looks at the arrow briefly considering the idea of launching one at the shades, but discards the idea since it would probably do little to nothing as it had before. Still his mind is working and he gets an idea, quickly looking around for anything flammable. Not seeing anything readily available, he goes the practical route and rips a long portion of his cloak off and wraps it around the end of his staff. He then takes out his tinderbox and looks briefly for his lost flask of spirits and curses. "Quick! I need oil!"
    Brett
    ~A.K.A. Bluehorse

"A trap is only a trap if you walk into it before you see it" ~Flint Fireforge

Rough Human / NG / Ranger lvl: 6 / Maxvale's Classic War of the Lance Campaign (DL Nexus)

Inside the Ruins of 'Skullcap'; somewhere in the swampy plains south and east of 'Hopeful Vale somewhere in the Kharolis Mountains south of Pax Tharkas, Mid Morning of 14 Hiddumont (October), 351 AC

The battle between a group of undead shadows and a band of adventurers came to a climax as the companions, having reduced the number of foes they had to face; doubled up on the remaining monsters….

Gilthanas the Elven warrior-mage sliced some more ebon essence from his foe with his enchanted longsword and then watched the Paladin Garth come over to assist him by lasing out with his own magical broadsword and finishing off the Shadow….

Rough the Ranger created a make-shift, very large 'torch' out of his quarterstaff with a bit of cloth wrapped around one end and soaked in some oil from a flask that Thorn the Dwarf tossed towards him; and the lit with his flint-and-steel. It bathed the subterranean chamber in even more light than that given off by the hodded lantern Sir Gavin Blackwood had placed on the ground at the start of the fight. It let the grizzled, veteran warrior see the Shadow Monster quite clearly as Thorn dispatched it with a swing from his powerfully enchanted Hand-Axe…

Valentheran the Elven Thief-Mage moved over to assist Maxavel the Cleric and between his stabbing of the Shadow with Kith-Kanan's Rapier and Max's smashing it with her magical Staff; the Shadow was quickly finished...

Everyone took a long moment to catch thier breath and it was at about that time that they realized they had defeated all of thier foes. Looking around the ruined chamber, nothing much of interest was found; just bits of broken stone and long decayed wood that had probably been part of some kind of furniture a few centuries ago. A single archway led out and glancing out of it, it led to a tunnel that led both right and left. Glancing down both of THOSE tunnels; one (the right) led to an archway then bent diagonally from a large room's frame, and nothing much could be seen in that room. The other (the left) led to a still-shut-in-its-fram door.

Garth took advantage of an ability he gained when he became Krynn's first Paladin in well over 3 centuries and concentrated to Detect Evil in both passageways. The way to the right revealed only lingering traces while the way to the left radiated VERY strongly…..though the Knight of Solamnia reported in a confused tone, that he also felt great Sadness from that direction as well...

Default Gilthanias

Shall we press on or wait till our strength has returned? Gil seeing the Rough had a tough time with the shadows removes his quiver from his back and hands him a half dozen arrows. Here my friend these are Magic arrows (+1). I do not have a sword or that would yours to.

Default Rough

Coughing despite himself he quickly throws the rag off his staff and makes sure the wood is still unscared, lettinf the rag burn away on the stone floor. He rubs his ribs trying to get a few deep breaths in shivering. When he is offered the arrows he waves the off. "Here old man, have a prize? Ha! I don't think so. Remeber, your old enough to be my great grand dad, you... you... oh forget it!" He grips his staff and leads the way accompanied by his soured mood.
    Brett
    ~A.K.A. Bluehorse

Rough Human / NG / Ranger lvl: 6 / Maxvale's Classic War of the Lance Campaign (DL Nexus)

Thorn in looking around and thinking of their situation at the time being "Eh well perhaps deal with the side that only had traces of evil first? Er yah thinkin we aughta go an face that great evil and sadness ya found?" then hearing the jesting conversation about ages"An I be old enough ta out live yer grand dad. So don't go fergettin it elves aint tha only long lived races among us we dwarves do a fair bit a livin too yah know when we aint cut down early in war, an fightin undead and dragons."

Default Rough

Whirls around at Thorn and seems about to say something then stops... Thinking about it a moment then grunts before turning back around and heading to the intersection. The sharper eared among them would hear a hoarse chuckle accented with the steady thump of his staff as he walked. Once they are to the intersection he shrugs listening to the talk of evil and sadness. "Well... I guess there is only one way to go then. Fate only rewards chance..." He starts down the corridor taking careful measured steps towards to "Sadness" leading by demonstration to move quietly. Motioning to the others to let him scout ahead a little. The "Old man" of the group apparently feeling a need to be useful again. One can imagine that even the grizzled veteran, odd though he was, may have just had his pride taken down a notch or two.
    Brett
    ~A.K.A. Bluehorse

"Sadness it is then." Max composes herself and follows the ranger.

Inside the Ruins of 'Skullcap'; somewhere in the swampy plains south and east of 'Hopeful Vale somewhere in the Kharolis Mountains south of Pax Tharkas, Late Morning of 14 Hiddumont (October), 351 AC

The companions follow Garth towards the 'strong evil, but also great sadness'; and they soon push through an archway to enter a massive circular room that once had a domed ceiling, but that cieling had largely collapsed inward, leaving a strange, bowed-in roof and a room covered in rubble. In the center of the room, on a tall pile of rubble a dusty, but still shiny golden circlet could be seen. Numerous skeletons, some in slashed to pieces, rusting armor and some in rotting robes littered the area near the circlet. A dark wooden quarterstaff lay on the ground near the archway, but the companions' attention was all riveted on the other occupant of the room….

A man…or at least, what had ONCE BEEN a man, stood near the Circlet; his dark flesh rotting and half revealing his bones though the fiery eyes moved and locked on the adventurers without any problems and there was little doubt that when he moved towards them that the undead warrior was in any danger of falling apart...

The man was dressed in ancient, rotting garments and armor, but the two-handed sword he wielded showed no signs of rust or decay. A wave of fear swept over the entire group, though all were able to shake it off and not run in panic as the warrior came closer and closer to them, his mouth opening to speak to them in a language that only Maxavel and Gilthanas recognized; Ergothic….

"I am all that remains of the leader of the arch-mage Fistandantilus' army….my name was Pheragas. That foul mage trapped my soul in that circlet behind me and unless someone can reach it and break it, I am bound to his evil spirit for all eternity. I beg your forgiveness for this and implore you to either defeat me or escape with your lives….before I end them"; a hollow voice says with deep sadness and sincerity in its tone….even as the frigenting warrior rapidly moves closer and closer and pulls back the sword, ready to strike...

Having no clue what is being said, Vale draws his rapier and looks for anything that may be of use against this undead creature.