Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: DL 3 Dragons of Hope; IC; Chapter 3

Not wanting to appear as a threat, Vale raises his hands in front of him to about shoulder height instead of going for his weapon. He remains silent for the moment and will let someone with more knowledge of dwarven etiquette do the talking for now.

Thorn puts his hands out empty of weapons to show he means not to attack "Be yah dwarf's? I aint quite sure but yah kinda look like yah might be sort of dwarfish be yah some sorta gnome then? No ne'er mind that we mean no harm we are not here to battle goodly folk be yah goodly folk yerselves?"

Default Gilthanas

Puts his hands at his side so that he appears as no threat to the dwarves.
    Thorn are they cousins of yours?
    Last edited by Dram; 05-30-2016 at 09:26 PM.

Default Gilthanas

1 Where is the delete post at
    Last edited by Dram; 05-30-2016 at 09:31 PM.

Max brushes the snow from her clothes, then addresses the dwarves with a gracious bow:

"Oh thank the Gods. We've been walking for hours and haven't seen any intelligent creatures. You must know the area well, we need your assistance."

Somewhere in the Kharolis Mountains south of Pax Tharkas, Mid Afternoon of 11 Hiddumont (October), 351 AC

The band of Dwarves seem confused, but one of them raises an arm and they lower, but do not put away, thier weapons. One of the Dwarves leans in towards the Leader who raised his arm and speaks in Dwarven*; which Thorn and Vale understand; and says; "Whadya think Zirkan? Think our cousin over there is a lost-one** or addled in the head? And, what about the tall folk he's walking with?" Zirkan just grunts and replies to his fellow in the same language while never taking his eyes off the Companions; "Might be; but there's only 5 of them and unless I miss my guess, 2 of them are Elves…any group of men, Elves and Dwarves working together is woth a story or two at least. Still, stay alert".

Zirkan steps forward until he is about ten yards away from the 5 adventurers and says in accented common to Thorn; "Of course I'm a Dwarf. I'm Zirkan Orefinder of the Neidar*** Clan and head of this logging expedition. Where do you hail from?"

Belatedly, he takes in the others and his brown eyed, bushy bearded face flits from one to the other of the companions and he replies; "What brings a party of tall-folk to our valley?"

*His Dwarven sounds very strange to Thorn's ears….kind of like how Cockney English sounds to American ears
    **Lost-One is a Dwarven term for orphans….and in particular, ones who may have grown up away from Dwarven families/enclaves
    ***Neidar translates as "Dwarves of the Hills or Hill Dwarves"….there are 5 main Dwarven clans/castes (though most Dwarves would only admit to 4); the Hylar and Daewar (Both Mountain Dwarf clans with Hylar traditionally being seen as the Higher Caste); the Daergar (Deep Dwarves; sensitive to sunlight and more hard-hearted than thier kin…..note: in DL, most Dwarves are Neutral in alignment); the Neidar (Hill Dwarves as mentioned above) and the Aghar or Gully Dwarves….which most Dwarves don't like to claim kinship too. In Kaolyn, where Thorn's from; there are only Hylar and Daewar…..and Aghar…..he would have heard stories of Neidar and Daergar, but he's never seen/met any.

Thorn "I Hail from Kaolyn, I only ever heard stories of Neidar and Daergar aint ne'er met one afore."

Somewhere in the Kharolis Mountains south of Pax Tharkas, Mid Afternoon of 11 Hiddumont (October), 351 AC

A couple of the Dwarves behind Zirkan speak up in Dwarvish after Thorn tells them he's from Kaolyn and that he's never seen a Neidar Dwarf before. "He's from where?-" "Only heard of Neidar in stories?-" "Why, he's gotta be one of those blasted Mountain Dwarves my Grandfather used to say his Grandfather told stories of!-" Zirkan finally cut off the chatter with a hand gesture.

Speaking to Thorn he says; "I've never heard of Kaolyn and it seems you've never heard of us, so I'm guessing you're probably from somewhere very far from here. If I have your word that you and your tall-folk companions mean no harm; you're welcome to come with us and talk to our Chieftan." When Thorn vouches for thier good behavior; Zirkan nods and he directs his logging party to load the chopped-down lumber on the sled and they begin to haul the load in a South-west directin, away from where the adventurers travelled from.

Zirkan guides the party; not saying much, but neither is he rude or ignoring the group. After a long, 45 minute or so slog; the adventurers come to a frozen lake with a long, tall ridge that runs along one 'coast' of the lake. The ridge has numerous entrances which have been clearly dug into the side of it; and several wooden buildings stand up against the ridge wall as well. Several stone-faced Dwarves can be seen here and there and al-together, the village looks to hold perhaps 200 or so Hill Dwarves.

Zirkan tells the adventurers to wait and he moves to one of the burrow entranes and speaks with a guard, who nods and vanishes inside. A few moments later, the guard retruns, followed by an older Dwarf with a long gray beard and a finely-crafted huberk of mail. The Dwarf moves towards the party, flanked by Zirkan and the guard, until he faces the party from about 10 feet away.

In accented common, the Dwarf speaks; "I am Stenkast Ridgeworker; Chieftan of the Neidar town of Lakeridge. What is your buisness here?"

Default GIlthanas

Gilthanas bows to the chief. Sorry for the intrusion Lord Ridgewalker. We are in search of shelter for a large group of prisoners that we saved.

Vale joins his friend and bows to the dwarves alongside him. After his friend's greeting, he adds "The prisoners have recently helped us in dealing a blow to the Dragon Army garrison stationed at Pax Tharkas. It will take some time for them to re-organize, but I am sure that once they are refortified, they will continue in their plans to attack both our home, Qualinost and the fortress of Thorbardin. In the meantime, these refugees have no homes to return to and need someplace to provide for themselves over the imminent winter."