Page 36 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738 LastLast

Thread: DL 3 Dragons of Hope; IC; Chapter 3

As Vale feels some of the strength return to his ravaged body, he smiles weakly at the cleric in thanks before she moves on to the others. He then struggles to his feet and joins the dwarf in his searching. "Remember," he says to anyone listening, "the journal mentioned a 'soul object' that must be destroyed. It said that it is usually a gem or some similar item that contains the essence of the lich's soul."

Default Rough

Visibly worried about Max, the cantankerous ranger lends her a shoulder even though he is obviously in pain himself. He shoes off anyone that tried to take over this duty and helps her around the room. He would have argued that she should sit and rest in her state a few days ago, but he knows she is too stubborn for that. One of the things he liked about her, he admitted to himself. "Who says it is even in here? Hell, if I were a damned lich I would drop it in the middle of the Blood Sea and laugh my happy ass back to my lair to suck maggots or whatever it is he was doing down here for 200 years." Still, grumpy though he is, he looks around trying to keep calm and methodical, trying to think of hiding places and pokes into crevices with his dagger.
    Brett
    ~A.K.A. Bluehorse

"A trap is only a trap if you walk into it before you see it" ~Flint Fireforge

Rough Human / NG / Ranger lvl: 6 / Maxvale's Classic War of the Lance Campaign (DL Nexus)

Default Gilthanias

Begins to search the room for anything that the Liche may have Essence stored in. Let us destroy this thing.

Inside the ruins of 'Skullcap'; somewhere in the swampy plains south and east of 'Hopeful Vale' somewhere in the Kharolis Mountains south of Pax Tharkas, Early thru Mid Afternoon of 15 Hiddumont (October), 351 AC

Maxavel utilizes her healing spells on Valentheran, Gilthanas, Garth and Rough; all of whom have some level of their injuries miraculously close up/seal up/bruises fade/pain recedes/etc.* Everyone takes a little while to recover from the major battle they just fought before they slowly rise and get to the process of searching the area...

The party then fans out and searches the room for anything that might be Fistandantilus' soul-object, but they find nothing that might serve as such a device. Sharp-eyed Vale DOES manage to find a secret door that leads into what is obviously a treasure room. Coins of various kinds are piled haphazardly on the floor of the room; mixed in with several gems of various types, a dusty scroll tube with stoppers on both sides and a Crown with a simple raised rectangle on the front that houses a piece of polished granite with a Dwarven symbol carved into it that Thorn can read as saying 'Crown Prince'....

There are several thousand coins, most having markings of the Dwarven Kingdom of Thorbardin and made out of useless Gold, though many are Silver and a few Steel pieces of more recent vintage, though still several hundred years old, minted at the town of Haven a couple of centuries ago. There is perhaps 2 or 3 hundred steel pieces worth of coinage here that would probably be accepted in most cities or towns the companions know of. A half-dozen gems; including a Diamond, 2 Emeralds, an Aquamarine and a pair of Pearls are also in the treasure pile and while none in the group are known for their ability to value gems; Thorn can roughly guess that all together, they are probably worth 4 or 5 hundred steel....

*Vale was healed for 12 hps, he is now at 13 of 22 HPs
    *Gilthanas (GILTHANAS...NOT GILTHAS OR GILTHANIAS....just thought I'd mention that ) was healed for 7 hps, he is now at 8 of 29 HPs
    *Garth (NPC) was healed for 6 hps, he is now at 10 of 38 HPs
    *Rough was healed for 10 hps, he is now at 14 of 40 HPs

*Also, minor note....it is HIGHLY unlikely that Rough would know about the Blood Sea of Istar seeing as how it was a newly created Sea because of the Cataclysm and it was on the opposite side of the Continent of Ansalon from where he has probably spent most of his life. STILL, it's possible he HAS traveled that far or has met someone with a map of the area (a Kender perhaps? ) or who had lived/traveled in that area. A closer Sea he DEFINITELY would know of would be the New Sea; to the North and West of Abanasinia.....not really that important, just thought I'd mention it.
    Last edited by maxvale; 06-21-2017 at 06:35 PM.

Default Gilthanas

Searches the secret room for another secret room within it. We must continue searching searching for the object that holds the Liches soul.

Thorn wonders how to tell what item even holds the liches soul. "How'r s'posed ta tell what items holds the durned soul of tha lich anyway?"
    True Treasure
    In life there are three real treasures: loving partners, true friends and your brightest dreams. The trick is to avoid losing them along the way.
    ~ Elminster of Shadowdale
    Runes on a Rock
    published in the year of the Morningstar

Maxavel

She thanks Rough for the walking assistance, and starts silently praying to reveal any magic in the area. She gathers the gems in a pile, along with the crown.

"I'd assume the vessel to be something non-perishable, probably of high value, yet portable. Any of these gems might fit the bill."

Default Rough

OOC: Oops!

Continues to assist Max as he looks around, her brow drawing together tight in concentration.
    Brett
    ~A.K.A. Bluehorse

Rough Human / NG / Ranger lvl: 6 / Maxvale's Classic War of the Lance Campaign (DL Nexus)

Inside the ruins of 'Skullcap'; somewhere in the swampy plains south and east of 'Hopeful Vale' somewhere in the Kharolis Mountains south of Pax Tharkas, Mid thru Late Afternoon of 15 Hiddumont (October), 351 AC

The adventurers spend a couple of hours searching and sharp-eyed Gilthanas finds a dusty scroll tube under some rubble in a far corner while Valentheran sees something glint out of the corner of his eye in a crack on the wall. As one Elven spell-slinger opens up the scroll tube to find an old map with labels written in an unknown language on it; the other Elven spell-caster reaches into a narrow crack and pulls out a small, blood-red stone that seems warm to the touch....

Gilthanas THINKS the language is Dwarven and he calls over Thorn; who tells him that the words are INDEED Dwarven and seem to indicate that a massive mountain south of where they currently are is labelled THORBARDIN; the legendary home of the Mountain Dwarves!

As this is happening; Vale sees a skull with glowing yellow lights in the eye-holes in the surface of the gem for a moment and suddenly a mocking laugh echoes in his brain. We shall see each other again Elfling......HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA......the laughter trails off and the skull image fades in the gem's face as Valentheran suddenly drops the gem to the ground and picks up a large piece of rubble and smashes the gem repeatedly until it is little more than fragments and crushed dust.....

Maxavel puts the coins and the 'hopefully-non-possessed-gems' into her magical Sack of Holding; as Garth does his best to repair, oil and polish his weapons and armor. Thorn seems drawn to the Dwarven Crown*; and without really knowing why, he picks it up and places it on his head. A bright flash of light suddenly catches everyone's attention and when everyone turns to look at their Dwarven comrade; he stands rigidly still and one of the gems on the Crown glows brightly for a moment. He then begins to speak, but the voice that comes forth is NOT Thorn's.....

Bowing stiffly, 'Garth' begins to speak in accented common; "Greetings. I am the spirit of Grallen Stronghammer; Crown Prince of the Hylar Dwarves of Thorbardin; laid low by the magic of Fistandantilius at the end of the Dwarfgate war. By means of this magical Helm; I have survived on this plane of existence for over two centuries to that my tale and fate may be heard."

"I rode forth on the morning of what was to be the last battle of the war in the great Charge of the Dwarves of Thorbardin, led by my father, High Thane Derkin Stronghammer. We charged forth from the Northgate of Thorbardin across the Dergoth plain to engage the enemy army composed of Neidar Dwarves and Human warriors led by the Black Robe Mage Fistandantilus. After defeating the army of the enemy in the field, at great cost; I led the remnants of the army to Zhaman; the Fortress of the Evil Mage and we assaulted the Foul Wizard in his lair...."

"Many fell with honor beside me, including one of my younger brothers, Freyhallen; yet we turned the tide of the battle with the help of the Bronze Dragon Blaze and crushed our opponent Totally. I confronted the wizard himself at the end and as I rushed to smite him he smiled most foully and unleashed a great magical curse which changed this mountain into a skull-shaped ruin; froze Blaze in place and ended my life and that of many of my companions while ensuring that he would no longer have a mortal form, but instead become that of a foul creature of undead energy. Thus, did I fall."

"Now, I beseech thee, return my spirit; trapped in the gem on this crown; to the Kingdom of Thorbardin and tell my tale to the Council of Thanes there to ensure that I rest in the Valley of Thanes with my kin."

With that, Thorn bows his head; the flash of light blinds everyone again for a moment and the Dwarf leans forward until the Crown falls to the ground in a clatter. When Thorn stands back up, he blinks a few times and shakes his head and when he speaks again, this time it is with the voice and mannerisms of the Dwarven warrior the adventurers had all come to know and admire......

*Done for Story purposes; no harm done to your character; hope you don't mind!

Default Rough

Watches as Vale pulls the gem out of its hidey hole and nudges Max to get her attention and points with a soft grunt. "That's one thing off the list."

He then helps Max to her feet as Thorn becomes possessed and he watches with wide grim eyes as the message from centuries pasts is relayed to them. He wonders if they are really the first to receive it in that much time.

When it is over he looks over at Thorn. "Are you okay, Lad?" he ask in Dwarven.

To the others. "It looks like we are heading straight to another legend. Thornbardin..." he sighs and looks at Max. "Are you going to be up for that?"
    Brett
    ~A.K.A. Bluehorse