Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: [PFCG] Feats

Default [PFCG] Feats

Okay, this should be relatively simple to do compared to what we have been doing lately. There are thirteen feats listed in the DLCS that we need to look over and covert. We can ignore Honor-Bound since we made that a class feature for the Solamnic knight prestige class, leaving us with twelve.

Those twelve are: Cornered Rat, Draconian Breath Weapon, Flyby Breath, Hulking Brute, Improved Draconian Breath Weapon, Improved Resist Dragonfear, Reserves of Strength, Resist Dragonfear, Spear of Doom, Spectacular Death Throes, Strafing Breath, and Tremendous Charge.

William, Ed; are you guys cool with us just splitting this list up into thirds and then posting each feat after it's been revised (or left unchanged) for review by everyone? I would also advise searching through the existing Pathfinder feats and seeing if there's anything comparable. For some reason I think there's something similar or identical to Tremendous Charge already out there.

Thoughts?
    Head Moderator &
    Member of the Whitestone Council

"Hey look! I'm the Code of Conduct! Check me out!" -The Code of Conduct

That sounds good to me. Give me my list.
    Dragonlanceforums.com Moderater - To be one, ask one!

Do you love the Dragonlace Forums? Do they provide you with hours of entertainment? Why not donate? Keep the hamsters running. Ask me how!

I am totally cool with divvying out a list, and making sure there is no duplication. Did we want to add any of the feats from other books? I know we are only completing the DLCS, but exluding Races of Ansalon (feat heavy), there were only a few more to add. They are mostly some skill feats, Heroic Surge and odds and ends.

This is just an option and I understand if we want to focus on the DLCS only.
    -Dragonlance Nexus Social Media Manager-
    GM - ICRP: Star Wars - Dawn of Defiance

We've dipped into other books before. Doing all of the feats that we want to convert seems like small bites. I don't think it would be a problem.

Do you love the Dragonlace Forums? Do they provide you with hours of entertainment? Why not donate? Keep the hamsters running. Ask me how!

Let's do the DLCS feats first and then we can do ones from other books depending.

I'll take first four. William, take the middle four. Ed you get the last four!

Thanks guys!
    Head Moderator &

That's good. I'll wait until you to Draconian Breath Weapon, and once that's nailed down, I'll do the Improved.

Default Resist Dragonfear, Improved Resist Dragonfear

I decided to start with Resist and Improved Resist Dragonfear. I have made changes to these feats, totally up for debate. I began with some research. I don't believe that there are any Pathfinder feats that grant a bonus on the Will save vs. a dragon's frightful presence. If there were, I'd think that we could scrap these feats altogether and just use the PF feats in their place.

My first red flag was a situational roleplaying requirement in the prerequisites: "must have encountered a dragon at least once", and "must have taken damage from a dragon attack at least once". I appreciate that DL comes from the "Old School", and that maintaining that feeling maintains the "flavor" of the setting, but roleplaying requirements in the prerequisites for a feat aren't the norm in PF. Full Disclosure: after looking at every feat in print, I found three feats with roleplaying requirements. One was in the Book of Vile Darkness, which are optional rules, and the other two came from slim splat books that are outside of the core rules also.

I don't think that there is a problem with the benefits section of either feat, so here is my proposal for Resist Dragonfear and Improved Resist Dragonfear in Pathfinder:

Resist Dragonfear [General]

You are able to show courage in the presence of dragons.

Prerequisites: Base Attack Bonus +3, Iron Will
    Benefit: You receive a +4 bonus on Will saving throws against the frightful presence of dragons.

Improved Resist Dragonfear

You are able to demonstrate great courage in the presence of dragons.

Prerequisites: Base Attack Bonus +6, Improved Iron Will
    Benefit: You receive a +8 bonus on Will saving throws against the frightful presence of dragons.

Default Reserves of Strength

Reserves of Strength is tricky. The metamagic feat Heighten Spell does the same thing, with no negative side effects to the PC. There's no Pathfinder equivalent to the feat that I can find, and there are no Pathfinder feats that level a negative consequence of any kind on the PC. I understand that the feat allows you to apply moderate to severe metamagic effects on the fly, and so it needs a negative consequence attached. It breaks the rules of spellcasting where level-damage-caps are concerned, and no other feat (or ANYTHING else for that matter) allows that to occur in PF. We're clearly standing on unexplored ground here.

The feat is clearly meant for use solely in Dragonlance, and helps to infuse the characters with the "flavor" of the setting. That's okay. I don't think that this feat in any form conforms to Pathfinder, and I think that it has the potential to be abused. I adding an "out-of-combat" detriment to prevent it's abuse on the last round of combat vs. the last monster on the map, etcetera. In this way, I feel like I closed an abuse loophole, and molded it to better conform with baseline PF feats. It's up for revision and debate, of course:

Reserves of Strength [General]

When you cast a spell, you can infuse the spell with the strength of your spirit at the cost of exhausting yourself.

Prerequisites: Spell Penetration, must be able to cast spells
    Benefit: When you cast a spell, you can decide to increase your caster level with that spell by 1, 2, or 3. You gain the Staggered condition for an equal number of rounds, and the Exhausted condition for an equal number of hours immediately after doing so. Your increased caster level affects all level-based variables of the spell including range, area of effect, spell penetration, and the difficulty of dispelling the spell.

Those are my offerings for now. I'm holding off on Improved Draconian Breath Weapon until I see what Dave has done with the base feat so that I can appropriately build off of it.
    Last edited by SuperBall; 05-02-2016 at 07:30 PM.

Let's start with William's Dragonfear feats before we move on to Reserves of Strength.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperBall
    Resist Dragonfear [General]

You are able to show courage in the presence of dragons.

Prerequisites: Base Attack Bonus +3, Iron Will
    Benefit: You receive a +4 bonus on Will saving throws against the frightful presence of dragons.

Improved Resist Dragonfear

You are able to demonstrate great courage in the presence of dragons.

Prerequisites: Base Attack Bonus +6, Improved Iron Will
    Benefit: You receive a +8 bonus on Will saving throws against the frightful presence of dragons.
    These look fine in theory and then I realized that not only do these two feats not build on each other, but the originals don't either! That seems to fly in the face of even basic 3.5 design. If you're going to have "Improved Something" as a feat, shouldn't there be an original feat that you build off of?

My only suggestion would be to remove Improved Iron Will as a prerequisite to Improved Resist Dragonfear and replace it with Resist Dragonfear.

What do the rest of you think?
    Head Moderator &

That was a detail that I missed too, Dave! I agree. We should make Resist Dragonfear a prerequisite for Improved Resist Dragonfear.