Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Peggy

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Wild, Wonderful, West Virginia!
    Posts
    12,527

    Default Peggy

    Clouds and stars was mostly what she'd seen for days. The pegasus had flown over oceans and seas, swamps and grasslands and mountain peaks. She had nestled with the chieftain of the Wemitowak on the Isle of Schallsea just two nights ago. She had bonded with the Wind Dancer in the Sentinel Mountains of Northern Ergoth, and climbed the Moon Steps. She had seen the World's Heart, and many other wonders of Krynn, even Storm's Keep. Now she dipped from the clouds to sail over the Plains of Dust, searching.

    The magnificent horse with great white wings soared with proud grace. The magical beast was quite intelligent, as much so as the average man, it was spoken of in folklore.
    The pegasus had formulated a plan the night prior, when she'd rested in the dust. In her search, she would fly in wider and wider spirals from her location.

    Most of the day passed. Little lived in the Plains of Dust. The pegasus soon would feel the fatigue from flying all day. The sun would soon set on the western horizon over the barren landscape.

    The pegasus glimpsed movement below her. A huge swath of dust had been disturbed, as if something lurked just beneath. Something slithered in the sand. For a moment, the pegasus had seen the scales of some beast. The scales had been an earthy tone of red, ochre, and ivory.

    OOC
    DM Stealth check d20+?= 19.
    Peggy Perception d20+12= 20.
    Peggy is like 150' over the thing she saw (does not currently see it, but can see the spot it was in). Whoowhoo!
    The Red Condor shrieked at Sir Darvig in full wrath. Wings flapped storms of fire across the sky. "The Mage-God grows in power swifter than it appears to Paladine. This I know. A warning," Sargonnas told Darvigl, "for you to give to Paladine in your prayers."

    I will, Darvig uttered.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    252

    Default

    Swooping lower over the disturbed, dusty plains, the beast fluttered wings and tightened her spirals, looking for where the beast below might reappear. "Peggy" kept herself ready to gain altitude should the beast lunge from below. Bulettes, the dreaded land sharks of plains just like these all over Krynn, could leap dozens of feet airborne from just below the crust...


    OoC
    Fly 60 feet lower (90 feet off the ground), ready action to move up higher (30 feet up, as a move action) if creature reappears
    Perception d20 (3)+12=15
    If see beast, appropriate knowledge skill
    Arcana: d20(6)+13=19
    Nature: d20(18)+15=33
    Religion: d20(19)+13=32
    Dungeoneering: d20(3)+7= 10
    Planes: d20(12)+7=19
    Yeeehhaaawww!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Wild, Wonderful, West Virginia!
    Posts
    12,527

    Default

    Flying gracefully closer to the ground, the blowing dust of the plains stung the pegasus's eyes, yet she caught another glimpse of what she had seen.

    Whatever it was it was huge, snaking just beneath sand. She could see its scales were reptilian. The glimpse she caught of its head cried dragon, though she felt no dragonfear. The pegasus thought quickly. There were metallic dragons, and there were chromatic dragons. The beast's scales of red, ochre, and ivory did not match any. There were also the dragons of Krynn's seas - amphidragons, sea dragons, and aquatic dragons...yet they were in the middle of the Plains of Dust.

    The pegasus knew not what the dragon-like beast was, but it could slither through sand as skillfully as she cut through the wind on her great wings. She could see something else, as she rounded to the left in sight of the shifting sands where the creature slithered. It shifted to the left too.

    It was following her.

    OOC
    DM Stealth d20+?= 13
    Appropriate Knowledge check failed.
    Your move!
    The Red Condor shrieked at Sir Darvig in full wrath. Wings flapped storms of fire across the sky. "The Mage-God grows in power swifter than it appears to Paladine. This I know. A warning," Sargonnas told Darvigl, "for you to give to Paladine in your prayers."

    I will, Darvig uttered.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    252

    Default

    Keeping one eye on the mysterious beast's underground undulations, "Peggy" scanned the area nearby, looking for rocks on which to land. She sought in her mind for another, more appropriate form, perhaps one that could also burrow? The parched and dusty plains were barren and lifeless around her. Racking her brain, she came up with a different solution. Once she spotted her 'landing pad' she intended to take action...


    OoC
    Perception: d20(12)+12=24, looking for rocks large enough to hold me in pegasus form, so at least a 10x10. This is my standard action. Move to fly another 60' lower (30 ft up in the air).
    Once I find a spot to land i am going to shapechange into a death worm! Attack me now beastie!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Wild, Wonderful, West Virginia!
    Posts
    12,527

    Default

    The pegasus was lucky to spot an ancient dragon's skull in the barren wastes, and veered in its direction. The beast under the sand veered as well. With the wind at her back, the pegasus was faster in the wind than the beast was under the dust. She landed atop it. The skull was enormous, half-buried beneath the sand. The beast was coming for her, but she had a moment.

    The large worm's body twisted and turned atop the dragon skull, its mouth a nightmare of rows and rows of teeth. The beast under the sand slithered closer like a giant alligator through water. Suddenly the sand beast burrowed downward, and vanished from sight, some distance before reaching the dragon skull. The death worm could not feel the presence of the beast, then suddenly it did. The beast was charging upwards from below the earth, directly at her.

    OOC
    DM huge sand creature gives chase, but burrows deep into the sand and out of sight 100 feet from the dragon skull. The dragon skull is 10x10x10 feet, and sturdy.
    Death Worm tremorsense signals that the sand beast is charging upwards toward you.
    Initiative DM d20+?= 12. Death Worm d20+2= 13.
    Death Worm goes first! You feel the sand beast coming for you when it gets to 60 feet beneath you (50 feet underground, + 10 feet from being on the half-buried dragon skull).
    Last edited by Bong Bellowsmoke; 04-21-2016 at 01:37 PM.
    The Red Condor shrieked at Sir Darvig in full wrath. Wings flapped storms of fire across the sky. "The Mage-God grows in power swifter than it appears to Paladine. This I know. A warning," Sargonnas told Darvigl, "for you to give to Paladine in your prayers."

    I will, Darvig uttered.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    252

    Default

    Worm flesh had replaced the horse-and-wings, foul but flexible. She arched her boneless form down into the sandy soil, pushing below and away from the skull at an angle. This form had distinct advantages in a fight, the toothy maw filled with dagger-like teeth was but one. Her rubbery skin and viscous blood were equally deadly, making an attack against her as dangerous to the attacker as it would be to her. Even as she burrowed, she plotted out other forms, in case she needed to escape. Prudent planning prevented problematic progress. Hoping her angle of movement would force the creature to abandon its charge, Worma mentally remarked on the bizarre nature of the imminent battle. None would see the clashing bodies as they closed to melee below the dusty soil, and only someone nearby above might feel the trembling of the ground as the creatures thrashed and fought.


    OoC
    Move 15 ft down and 5 ft "left" away from the skull. Another move action to move 20 ft (3 squares diagonally) further "left". The goal is to make the creature veer away from a straight line to ruin the charge and hopefully force a double move.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Wild, Wonderful, West Virginia!
    Posts
    12,527

    Default

    The clash of burrowing titans was inevitable, both Death Worm and Sand Beast could feel it. Worma dug deeper and changed direction. She felt the tremors of the beast stopping. She had ruined its charge. Worma had burrowed as far as she could. Now, through the shaking of the earth she could feel the terrible speed of the beast as it came for her.

    Dragon-like jaws ground through the earth to clamp down on the worm. Miles and miles away, two dwarves named Torvold and Krieger could feel a slight tremble in the earth. Worma felt pain, but the savage beast quickly let go after tasting her foul flesh.

    OOC
    DM charges (improved burrow) and bite d20+?= 27, bites from 5-feet (neither Large beast has reach), 9 damage. Sand Beast must make Fort save d20+?= 24, success.
    Worma's turn!
    The Red Condor shrieked at Sir Darvig in full wrath. Wings flapped storms of fire across the sky. "The Mage-God grows in power swifter than it appears to Paladine. This I know. A warning," Sargonnas told Darvigl, "for you to give to Paladine in your prayers."

    I will, Darvig uttered.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    252

    Default

    Worma lashed back at the Sand Beast in kind, hoping to introduce more poison into its system. As she twisted back to bite she also shifted her bulk slightly higher and further back from the other beast's onslaught, willing it to follow. Bringing it closer to the surface gave Worma the chance to flee quickly to the surface if things went poorly but also kept the struggle below and nearly undetectable. Dashing her teeth on rough scales Worma re-oriented and waited to see if the beast would follow...


    OoC
    Standard action to bite: d20(10)+5=15 (doubt that hits...)
    Dmg on a hit: 2d8 (4,5)=9 Dmg back!
    5' 'step' back and diagonally up)
    Yer move DM...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Wild, Wonderful, West Virginia!
    Posts
    12,527

    Default

    Loose earth rained as Worma twisted back, clogging sight, but both titans of the earth could feel the precise movements of the other. Worma braced herself for an attack, but it never came, as she felt the tremors of the beast withdrawing. Never had the sand beast, it seemed, tasted something so foul. One bite was all it took to decide. It abandoned its attempted prey, diving deep into the depths of the earth. It was gone. Unless it came back.

    OOC
    Sandy Withdraws. Fort save d20+?= 15, success. but yuck!
    Out of Initiative post at will!
    The Red Condor shrieked at Sir Darvig in full wrath. Wings flapped storms of fire across the sky. "The Mage-God grows in power swifter than it appears to Paladine. This I know. A warning," Sargonnas told Darvigl, "for you to give to Paladine in your prayers."

    I will, Darvig uttered.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    252

    Default

    Worma waited patiently below the soil, anticipating a surprise charge. She inched closer to the surface. But Sandy seemed to be gone. For now...
    Bursting upward from the loose soil in a spray of fine sand and rocks Worma drew on Peggy-form and leapt skyward. Day was soon ending but time and the light were still available. Peggy spiraled ever higher, scanning the empty plains for both her elusive quarry and also a safe place to rest for the evening. It would take little shelter for her to Grooze through the evening in safety. And rest was certainly needed. The bite from Sandy stung a little, appearing as a deep laceration that stained her white haunch a red-that-looked-pink in the deepening shadows of the failing afternoon. Peggy hoped this search would not keep her long upon these barren plains. She longed for the salt tang of the sea in her mouth, instead of the bitter, chalky dust of these empty, open lands. But Peggy was not one to sulk. Branchalla did not encourage disharmony. She searched within herself to find the positive, and quickly found one. At least here on the plains she could see the starry skies as well as upon the seas. The oncoming night glow filled Stargazer with simple happiness. Though the New Stars chilled her. Strange news of a god-killer mage and evidence of his accomplishments laid out in her beloved skies was disconcerting at best.
    With the fatigue of recent battle sinking into her bones, and a long weary day of scanning empty open spaces, Peggy concentrated her efforts into finding a comfy spot to Grooze.


    OoC
    Peggy scans the plains for a spot to assume Grey ooze shape for the night.
    Perception: d20(11)+12=23
    Last edited by SirIggy; 04-22-2016 at 05:26 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •