Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Rogue’s Age of Mortals Redux: Pathfinder Campaign Journal

Default Session 7: Part 2

The heroes looked down the cliff, trying to figure out a safe descent. Ellinghad had the idea to cast the Dismissal spell on the Elder Fire Elemental, which he’d memorized after the first challenge. He wasn’t sure if it would work as he discovered the beast held Celestial traits as well. The spell failed, not breaking spell resistance. Sir Otto then produced a wand, attempting the same thing. The spell broke resistance, but again the elemental made his Will save. Between you and I, the thing would just reappear again, but I wasn’t going to tell them that.

Ellinghad then decided to start a Featherfall. With the winds I had him make an occasional Reflex save to keep from floating too far away from the cliff face. Hyphen Spiderclimb-ed with his Cloak of the Arachnida. Gygax turned himself and Esilidor into Dire Bats and climbed down, don’t ask me why. Lya decided to stay and offer bow support from the top. Her attacks were tremendous even with the negatives for the high wind. Sir Royse surprised everyone by lastly getting a running start, and jumping down the 100 feet drop with an Acrobatics check. Aye yai yai! We went into initiatives of course. Ellinghad the player (Dan) asked Elgene (Royse) if he was trying to Die Hard this encounter? Elgene said yes to laughs across the table. Dan referenced the scene where Bruce Willis jumped off the building tied to a fire hose, only Royse had no rope but just close to 200 hps to break his fall, lol.

I had fun detailing Royse’s armored fall as the knight plummeted past the other four. As the elemental was huge and had the appropriate feats, he provoked three attacks of opportunity. Yikes. It should have been more, but I was feeling magnanimous. Between the fall, slams and fire damage he took about 60 damage and landed prone. The elemental took the first round to move and unleashed a full attack on the knight dealing another 22 damage. Sir Otto came next, attempting another Dismissal from his wand. The clerist stayed above with Lya. Again, it didn’t work. Ellinghad came next, still floating down. He cast Resilient Sphere, breaking spell resistance and trapping the beast. That pretty much ended combat as they simply scooped up the crystal and climbed back up the cliff. Seraph the ghostly gold dragon reappeared, praising their ingenuity. He sang the next few notes while Lya recorded it in the music box, and the party moved to the next challenge.

Next up was the Island Ivory and the challenge of the silver dragons. Upon their arrival, the temperature dropped to 0 degrees, but thankfully the Endure Elements spell was still active. Rimed with snow and ice, it grew colder the closer they got to the shrine (-20 degrees). The shrine was an edifice of spired stone encased by shining ice. The spectral appearance of Soul the silver dragon challenged them to find the crystal in the heart of the beast. A huge Celestial Frost Worm burst from the ice, and thus started the third trial. Sadly, this one didn’t allow for ingenuity. It was a knock-down drag-out.

I won’t detail the entire fight, but I can say it was the toughest of the three thus far. At one point Sir Royce was at -10 and almost dead. The battle was won through fire magic from Ellinghad, and the Frost Worm exploded in hundreds of snowy crystals. A simple Detect Magic cantrip fished through the icy detritus and it was on to the next challenge. Before moving on the group checked in on Gilthanas. They found him sitting patiently before the portal, a dozen mixed corpses and undead splattered about the area. It seemed Chemosh’s influence was getting stronger. Lya instructed Grrr to Guard the elf. Gilthanas again told them to quicken the pace, and they set off towards the Island of Smoke.

The island was a burning desert with rivers of hot lava. Their Endure Elements again saved them from the worst of it. Through the waves of heat and flame, they found the shrine of the brass dragon made from obsidian and black rock. The ghostly brass dragon Sultan appeared, and he told them to find their prize upon the lake of fire. Outside the shrine was indeed a small lake of lava. Two large noble salamanders wielding spears of flame slithered out of the lava, blocking their way. One challenged them, waving the crystal in its free clawed hand. It disdainfully spoke “come and get it” in the common tongue, tossing the crystal 20 feet away on to a sinking island on the lake. We went right into combat, and of course, the group played it smart. While the others went on the offensive, Hyphen Spider Climbed up the shrine. When he was high enough he cast the web spell anchoring one point to the building and the other to the island, being careful not to get it close to the lava. The kender then swiftly walked across the web to the sinking island, having to Tumble as he was in the threat range of the Salamanders. Hyphen dived past like Spiderman on high rolls and retrieved the crystal ending the challenge. Lya recorded the tones and it was on to the final.

The last was the Island of Stone, a fractured disc of rock, with the group having to delve into tunnels to get to the shrine. On their way the island shook with earthquakes and tunnels opened into chasms. One instance threatened the heroes, but mostly everyone made their Reflex saves. Sir Royse and Otto both fell, taking 23 damage. Gygax healed them and they continued to the shrine, a temple of pillars comprised of geodes and rocky spurs. Stealth, the ghostly copper dragon appeared. He teased them in a mischievous voice to find the final crystal in the gullet of one of his guardians. Two large Xorns melted out of the rock saying in grinding voices “we compete, you win, we give rock. If lose, no rock for you!”

The battle started in earnest with Hyphen attacking from distance with the Hellfire Lash for minimal damage due to DR and the Xorns innate resistance to fire. Ellinghad attempted to cast a Transmute Rock to Mud spell, but it tanked having no effect. Esilidor charged in for a Pounce attack for 32 damage, starting a grapple with one of the guardians. Gygax attacked with the Lion’s Shield and fumbled. The shield took arcane fire backlash, singed from its own magical meltdown (Pathfinder Fumble Deck). Otto cast Judgement and took a five-foot step. Royse took a five-foot step and used his Noble Rhetoric to Inspire Confidence. Lya plugged the grappled Xorn with arrows for 29 damage. Ellinghad cast Lightning Bolt, dealing 42 damage to the other Xorn. The Xorns finished the round with the free one moving to aid his grappled friend. The beast unleashed a full attack on Esilidor. The tiger suffered 56 damage on three hits. The other failed to break grapple.

On round 2, Hyphen again lashed with the whip on the grappled Xorn. Sadly the Xorn had immunity to sneak attack damage and took nothing. Esilidor continued the grappled fight, dealing 21 damage with claw and bite. Gygax aided his cat attacking via scimitar. The blade did not pierce the Xorn’s DR. Sir Otto took a five-foot step and attacked the free Xorn but missed. Royse also attacked, dealing a measly five damage with his longsword. Arrows from Lya struck the grappled Xorn for 12 damage. Ellinghad cast another Lightning Bolt on the free guardian, dealing 14 damage on its successful save. The Xorns retaliated again to get rid of Esilidor, dealing enough damage between them to kill the Bonded animal. Gygax howled with despair.

On round 3, Hyphen held action in the knowledge that he could not hurt the Xorns. Gygax did the same, holding action hopelessly. This was a point where I became a bit worried for the party. I realized there is good roleplay but things started looking a bit grim. Otto hit for one damage total. Royse again followed up for four damage. Lya sent another volley for 21 damage, finally killing the previously grappled Xorn. Luckily enough I had rolled randomly and that was the Xorn with the crystal. Hyphen rushed over to pick up the stone, ending the challenge.

As we started the session late and went even later, that’s where we left it. I doled out XP. The conclusion of Spectre of Sorrows is tomorrow, and maybe we will even get to Price of Courage!

Stay tuned!
    Last edited by rogue; 10-19-2016 at 12:53 PM.
    -Dragonlance Nexus Social Media Manager-
    GM - ICRP: Star Wars - Dawn of Defiance

Wow! Your guys definitely handled these challenges better than my guys, although they definitely still appeared to be challenging (also it is not a good time to be an animal companion these days). Looking forward to reading the showdown with the Betrayer!
    Head Moderator &
    Member of the Whitestone Council

"Hey look! I'm the Code of Conduct! Check me out!" -The Code of Conduct

I haven't forgotten, all five of my intrepid readers. I should have the next and final session for Spectre of Sorrows up this week. We have our first session of Price of Courage on Dec. 3. Stay tuned!

Default Session 8: Part 1

Well I have pushed off writing this last session of my Pathfinder Spectre of Sorrows campaign for too long. I hear Europe’s The Final Countdown echoing through my brain, so I must get through this arduous posting of mostly combat. Yes, for me writing up a super five and a half hour-combat is a taxing ordeal, but I will prevail! Just as the players did…mostly. So read on True Believers, read on!

Sir Ellinghad uth Saxis (LG male Solamnic human Wizard 5/WoHS 4/War Mage 4), an intrepid member of the Solamnic Kingfisher auxiliary and renegade hunter.

Hyphen Umlaut (CG male true kender Rogue 13), a bitingly sarcastic kender who is another version of the original party member from an alternate Krynn. He also bears the Tears of Mishakal.

Lyajaida “Lya” Denissa (CG Silvanesti elf Ranger 10/Wizard 1/Arcane Archer 2), a quiet, prideful elven ranger who was chosen by the Key of Quinari to be its wielder.

Grrrr (N male wolf), Lya’s steadfast bonded ally and protector.

Sir Royse uth Seeckt (LG Solamnic human Noble 4/Cavalier 6/Solamnic Knight 3 [Rose]), an initiate to the Order of the Rose who holds a dark secret of the coming future which he is desperate to change.

Gygax Polyhedron (LG Solamnic human Cleric 13 of Habbakuk [Animal and Travel]), a stranger who rides a tiger into battle and serves the will of Habbakuk with the Solamnic Knights.

Sir Otto Reichstag (LG male Solamnic human Fighter 9/Inquisitor 2 of Kiri-Jolith), a young knight-clerist who is Sir Royce’s current squire and assistant.

The session continued on the Island of Stone in the aftermath of the battle for the final stone. As Gygax lamented over the loss of his tiger, Stealth the ghostly copper dragon reappeared by Esilidor’s corpse. The dragon cast Gentle Repose. Stealth’s brash and sarcastic tone gone, the dragon somberly shared that Esilidor’s soul could not travel to the River of Souls, and thus was still in Dragon’s Graveyard. This gave Gygax some hope that perhaps the tiger could be restored to life later. The whole exchange was some decent roleplay with Chris the player being despondent the rest of the session. Good stuff. Stealth promised to tend to the body for the time being.

After the awkward player moment, the party returned to the gateway island. They made one final check on Gilthanas and the portal. They found him with sword drawn standing before the gateway that now glowed a sickly pus-yellow. Grrr the wolf stood next to him, hackles raised and growling. “Take care of business. Hurry,” he called, knowing that hordes of undead were moments away from gaining access to the Graveyard. While others prepared spells, Lya quickly put the final gem into the sconce and produced the Key of Quinari to play all five tones in a beautiful, short song lasting several musical bars. The eye sockets of the Elder Dragon Skulls glowed, thrumming in power, and the small island lurched forward towards the Isle of Quinari for the final push.

With a deep resounding thud, the Gateway joined the Isle. Kayleigh reappeared, explaining that the Tear of Mishakal and Key of Quinari opened the way into the Tomb. She promised that their paths were one, and lead the way towards the center of the island. They walked through a sea of green grass, with a mausoleum of rose-veined marble chased in precious metals coming into view. Kayleigh urged them forward, telling them to produce the music box. Lya again brought forth the Key, only to feel her innate connection to the artifact suddenly sever, as if the magic inside the item seeped away. A Spellcraft check confirmed a Disjoin spell temporarily negated the Key’s abilities. I had the party roll perception checks, and just about everyone noticed a gaunt elf in a black cassock clutching a funerary urn appear out of thin air. Lothian, the person behind the curtain pulling the strings of the entire campaign finally revealed himself. His next spell started the Surprise round, in which he cast Shatter. A low sizzle of power immolated the Key of Quinari as Kayleigh screamed in horror. Lothian snarled at the ghost, saying he’d changed his mind about the burial shroud and they would all die the true death.

This started the initiative.  On the top of the round Gygax made a reaction Knowledge Religion check to notice Lothian using the urn to control Kayleigh. Sir Royse kicked off round 1 to draw his holy longsword and take a double move towards Lothian. Ellinghad cast Resilient Sphere, attempting to trap the elf. Lothian skirted out of the way on a successful Reflex save. Before Lothian wrestled control, Kayleigh approached Lya to say “the way to the Tomb can still be opened, but we must become one body.” As Lya considered, the round continued. Hyphen pulled the Hellfire Lash and double moved. Realizing that merging with Kayleigh while the elf had the urn was probably a bad idea, Lya pulled her bow and let arrows fly. Both bounced off the elf’s immense magical protections. Sir Otto came next, taking the Run action adjacent to Lothian. Gygax took a gamble by casting Dispel Magic on the enemy, but failed the check. Lothian closed out the round, defensively casting Time Stop, the highest level spell cast thus far in the campaign. Lothian disappeared, moving faster than the naked eye. Suddenly a Blade Barrier came into existence directly in Ellinghad’s path. Lothian also cast Protection from Energy and Chitinskin, but the players found that out the hard way. The wizard evaded the damage as knives slashed all about. Lothian appeared in the middle of the whirling steel storm to await his enemies calmly.

On Round 2 Sir Royse drew the Lance of Huma and charged through the Blade Barrier, taking 25 damage as magical knives cut through armor and flesh. Despite the injury the knight bore down on the elf, piercing Lothian’s shoulder for 27 damage. Ellinghad five-foot stepped inside the barrier and strategically cast a Battle Magic Delayed Blast Fireball. Lothian ducked defensively on a successful save, while the rest of the damage became absorbed by the elf’s Protection from Energy spell. Kayleigh implored Lya to get the urn. Hyphen overheard Kayleigh’s plea (successful perception), and nimbly moved through the Blade Barrier unscathed (evasion). The kender then lashed his whip to Disarm, yanking the urn from Lothian’s grasp. Lya shot more arrows, but they continued to bounce off Lothian’s enhanced insectoid skin (Chitinskin). Sir Otto again moved towards the enemy, taking 56 damage from the Blade Barrier. The knight slashed with his longsword, hitting only air. Gygax hustled towards his allies and cast Insight of Yarus, buffing the party. Feeling pressure, Lothian pulled a vial from his belt, then cast Storm Bolts defensively. Hyphen and Gygax (ring of evasion) evaded the splash of electricity. Ellinghad, Otto and Royse took a whopping 84 damage, the white robe barely standing.

Round 3 kicked off with Sir Royse dropping the Lance to grapple Lothian, but couldn’t grab the nimble spellcaster. The thought was to keep the elf from casting anymore hellacious spells. Ellinghad cast Dispel Magic, but failed the check. In annoyance, Ellinghad made his way out of the Blade Barrier despite being at 19 hps. He luckily still made the check. Kayleigh yelled for Hyphen to bring the Tears, and then made ready to merge with Lya. Hearing the request (successful Perception again), the kender ran back the way he came, again dodging the magical blades. Lya moved towards Hyphen, trying to figure out a way to destroy the urn enslaving the ghost. Sir Otto swung his longsword, but continued to bounce off Lothian’s protective spells. On Gygax’s turn, I allowed the priest to make a Knowledge Religion check to figure a way to negate the urn’s power over Kayleigh. On a check well into the 30’s, he figured the quickest way was to get rid of the ashes inside. Chris jokingly yelled “Hyphen, Habbakuk told me the only way to save Kayleigh is to eat the ashes inside the urn.” Everyone got a good laugh, and Gygax moved into position and used his Medallion of Faith for a burst of healing for 25 hps to Ellinghad, Royse, Otto and Hyphen.

At the bottom of the round, the battle with the crazed elf was interrupted. The well armored form of Caeldor the Betrayer rode towards them atop a black horse trailing flame. On the back of the nightmare, a small figure in black robes hung on for dear life. Only Master Yap's snout and tail were visible as he clutched his undead master. Flying next to them was a strange looking kender with bat wings, wearing black leather armor and openly carrying a flaming whip. Small horns poked from his forehead. It was Hyphen (Earth 1), apparently cursed from his time in the Abyss (half-fiend template)! I had so much fun rolling him up.

“Lothian!,” the Betrayer called across the battlefield. “The Lord of Bones is displeased. It is over. Your soul is his!”

At that the Betrayer raised his Goat Skull medallion and the party finally caught a glow from a similar piece of jewelry hanging from Lothian’s belt. As he snarled in defiance, energy surged from the medallion, sucking the elf in blur of yellow light. All that remained was Lothian’s holy symbol. It hung in the air a moment and then sped towards the Betrayer. The two medallions collided in another flash of light, with only Caeldor’s remaining. Reaction Knowledge Religion and Arcana checks revealed that as Chemosh had dominion over the demiplane, he acted through the medallions to claim his disobedient servant. As Lothian’s Blade Barrier dissipated, the Betrayer leveled his gaze at the heroes.

“NOW YOU DIE!!!”

Up next: the final fight with the Betrayer and his cronies…
    Last edited by rogue; 11-30-2016 at 07:32 AM.

Default Session 8: Part 2 (Spectre of Sorrows Finale)

All right, I can’t make you wait too long for the final-final part of the final session to end all final sessions. Before I get back to the good stuff, I want to take a moment to explain the last scene between Lothian, the Betrayer and Chemosh. Originally Lothian is an ex-cleric of Chemosh who turned to Mysticism. As this is the second time I ran Spectre of Sorrows and through a different gaming system, keeping Lothian as a Mystic didn’t make much sense. As we are using the conversion document you can find here, our version did not jive with his 3.5 write-up of a Mystic of Trickery. Also, if you really think about it, Lothian’s and Chemosh’s goals line up until the last chapter of the campaign. Chemosh wanted someone to break the Betrayer out of Hurim. Lothian helped. Chemosh wanted inside the Dragon’s Graveyard, again Lothian helped facilitate. So having him as a rogue cleric made sense, and the Trickery domain available to a Chemosh-ite priest sealed the deal. Anyway, back to the session!

With the Betrayer, Master Yap and evil Mirror Universe Hyphen (Earth 1) on the playing field, I just rolled initiatives for them and inserted into the current order. Round 4 began with Royse retrieving the Lance of Huma from the ground to prepare for the next leg of the battle. Ellinghad had a similar idea in casting Chitinskin. Kayleigh approached Lya and asked permission to merge with the Silvanesti elf. She assured her they would both control her body. Lya nodded, and the ghost entered, giving Lya the abilities of the Dragonsinger template which I updated for Pathfinder. Lya gained a +4 to CHA, a +8 bonus to Perform Singing, and several abilities like sharing an Empathic Link with dragons and others including an immunity to Dragonfear. With Kayleigh inhabiting her body, she was limited to one action per round and suffered 1D6 fire damage from the possession. Thankfully her Firebane Cloak negated the damage. Nega-Hyphen flew towards the party. Hyphen took an action to Sense Motive successfully on Gygax’s “eating the ashes” suggestion, realizing the lie. Hyphen smirked and ran off towards the Tomb, coming to the entrance. Lya followed Hyphen, taking her action for the round. Sir Otto cast Cure Moderate Wounds on himself and took up a defensive position towards the Tomb. The Betrayer upon the Nightmare moved towards the party. Yap dismounted at the end of the movement. Gygax shot off another Healing Burst for 21 hps. Master Yap cast a Protection from Energy spell upon himself and spared a conflicted gaze at the party members, closing the round.

Round 5 started with Sir Royse following Otto towards the Tomb, also taking a defensive position. Ellinghad then cast a Battle Magic Chain Lightning, with Master Yap as the primary for the first bolt. Yap failed his save, taking 70 damage which totally immolated the Black Robe. Poor Yap. The remaining bolts arced to the Betrayer, Nega-Hyphen and the Nightmare. Only the Nightmare took 35 damage as Caeldor was immune and Nega-Hyphen evaded. The half-fiend used his Power of the Heart to Spirit Touched his armor as a Swift, then cast Call Undead IV as a full-round action. Hyphen (Earth 2) quickly dropped his weapon and urn, pulled out one of the Tears of Mishakal and placed it carefully in the sconce on the left side of the Tomb. The kender noticed the gem glow an extreme blue. Lya started to sing the tune of Quinari on a successful Perform check. The beautiful, melancholy song sounded as if a harmony between two voices. Sir Otto delayed. The Betrayer cast Spell Resistance on himself, and entered the area pinging his Fear Aura. Everyone made their Will saves, so no issues there. Gygax, feeling the urge of the Shard of Light, drew the blade and moved to engage the Betrayer. He drew an attack of opportunity, the Nightmare nipping at the priest to no avail.

On Round 6, Royse charged the Betrayer with the Lance of Huma, hitting the lich for 22 damage. Caeldor hissed in pain, marking the enemy Solamnic Knight for vengeance. Ellinghad cast Stone Tentacles, summoning three rocky protrusions. The Nightmare and the Betrayer found themselves grappled by opposing Tentacles. The third failed to grab Nega-Hyphen. The enemy Hyphen finished his spell, summoning a Gargantuan Skeletal Dragon next to Ellinghad. I had fun explaining that the bones flew down from the surrounding Graveyard and pieced together. Nega-Hyphen then made a successful Acrobatics check to Tumble away from the Tentacle, and flew to attack the party. Hyphen Earth 2 pulled out the next Tear and put it in the other sconce, and then picked up his discarded items. The second Tear glowed as well, the light now spreading across the entire mausoleum. Lya continued to sing, and suddenly the doors to the Tomb swung inward. The battlefield grew quiet as light and energy sprung upward, and the constellations of the other Gods flashed into existence in the once darkened sky overhead. The three moons of magic also appeared, waxing full upon the Graveyard. Quinari’s song echoed everywhere in exultation as the Graveyard realigned with the Dome of Creation. Lya stopped singing and Kayleigh stepped outside of her body. The Betrayer screamed as his patron’s influence receded. With the distraction, Sir Otto moved in and stabbed the lich for 8 damage. The Betrayer broke grapple and moved away from the Tentacle. Gygax moved and pointed the Shard of Light at the Betrayer, using its Supernova power. I house ruled that once a week the Shard can cast Prismatic Spray. Suddenly a coruscating burst of multi-colored light enveloped the Betrayer, the Nightmare and Hyphen, including two Stone Tentacles. The spell resistances of Caeldor and Nega-Hyphen fizzled the attack, but the Nightmare petrified while the tentacles crumbled in multiple surges of electricity and acid.

We went to Round 7, with Royse charging again with the Lance for 27 damage. Royse also issued a Cavalier Challenge. Ellinghad cast Dismissal defensively on Nega-Hyphen, but didn’t beat the half-fiend’s spell resistance. Nega-Hyphen then successfully Disarmed Sir Royse of the dragonlance with the Hellfire Lash. The half-fiend took a five-foot step, then lashed at Ellinghad for a miss. The dragon skeleton took a full attack on the wizard, missing all attacks against the magically protected mage. Nega-Hyphen took a Perception check to look inside the Tomb. He saw a sarcophagus and beautiful burial shroud on top of it. Hyphen went inside to yank the shroud, remembering it held significance to Lothian. Lya was amazed to realize that she retained the powers of the Dragonsinger. To boot, Grrr had mysteriously joined the battle. She instructed the wolf to “fetch” the dragonlance. Grrr suffered a fiery lash from Nega-Hyphen’s whip. Lya then returned the favor, puncturing the evil half-fiend kender for 11 damage via an arrow. Sir Otto pulled his wand of Dismissal and fired, but could not break spell resistance. Clearly enraged, the Betrayer took a five-foot step and cast Firestorm on the entire party. Several evaded, leaving only Otto and Royse to take the brunt of the 48 damage on failed saves. The conflagration put Royse down to -8. Gygax burned another Healing Surge for 22 hp in response.

On Round 8, Royse awoke to being on fire (from the spell), but made the Reflex to douse himself. The knight took his feet as a move action and grabbed the Lance of Huma from Grrr. Ellinghad then burned a Limited Wish to cast Chain Lightning with his Magic of Radiance ability. The initial strike electrified the Colossal Dragon Skeleton for 73 damage, but did not break the resistance of the other enemies. Nega-Hyphen cast a spell, and a yellow beam sprung from his hand at Ellinghad. The Withering Death spell sucked Ellinghad for -8 to Con, losing 52 hps. Hyphen furled his whip, and moved out of the Tomb while drawing his sithak. Lya cast Magic Fang through her Share Spell ability, bolstering Grrr. The wolf lunged at Nega-Hyphen, biting for 13 damage and tripping on a successful combat maneuver. Hey guys, Grrr did something in combat! I was absolutely amazed! I can add that the wolf is now Large size, which makes a difference. Lya then used Heroic Surge to plug him with two arrows for another 17 damage. Sir Otto popped another Dismissal with his wand, finally breaking SR. Nega-Hyphen made the Will save. He did not want to leave! The Betrayer took a five-foot step and cast Blasphemy. Ellinghad and Royse failed, becoming Dazed and Weakened at -11 to Strength each. Both fell to the ground, not strong enough to support their own weight. Gygax used his Dimensional Step ability as magic was no longer impeded, appearing behind Caeldor. He attacked with the Shard of Light, which glowed brighter than normal. The Betrayer cringed fearfully from the artifact, effectively shaken for the rest of the encounter. Gygax slashed the lich for 15 damage. All damage against the Betrayer with the Shard was considered maximized, an added bonus.

On Round 9, Royse floundered on the ground, his armor too heavy. Ellinghad did the same. Unsure of how to help, Kayleigh screamed out that since the Graveyard was restored, the group could again use the Tears of Mishakal against the Betrayer. Nega-Hyphen went on the attack, making an Acrobatics to Tumble away from Grrr. He failed the check, provoking an attack of opportunity. The wolf’s jaws clamped on the half-fiend’s leg for 17 damage. Nega-Hyphen took his feet only. I forgot about the skeleton dragon this round, so blah. Hyphen sheathed his sithak and collected both Tears of Mishakal. Lya shot at Nega-Hyphen again, dealing 37 damage, putting the half-fiend in the negatives. The summoned skeleton dragon disappeared, bones falling to the ground. Sir Otto stowed his wand, and drew his other wand of Dispel Magic to target Royse. He failed the dispel check, the Rose Knight still incapacitated. The Betrayer drew his mace and attacked Gygax. It crackled with negative energy, but failed to connect any solid hits on the enemy cleric of Habbakuk. Gygax counterattacked, striking Caeldor for another 15 hps.

On Round 10, Royse stayed disabled with Ellinghad in the same situation not far away. The mage used his magical staff to Dimension Door next to Hyphen. With a Use Magic Device check, Hyphen attempted a Restoration spell on the wizard with the Tears. Thankfully Mishakal was with him, the Tears fully charged. Ellinghad felt his strength and constitution restored. Hyphen then moved towards Royse. While Grrr tore out Nega-Hyphen’s throat for a coup de gras, Lya attacked the Betrayer, arrows piercing for 28 damage. Sir Otto stowed his wand in frustration and drew his longsword. The Betrayer channeled Negative Energy, dealing 32 damage to Sir Royse and Grrr, and half that to Otto and Gygax. This killed Sir Royse. Gygax continue his attack with the Shard, dealing another 15 damage.

Ellinghad opened up Round 11, screaming in vengeance against the death of Sir Royse. He stood up and cast Magic Missile, but failed to break SR. Hyphen used the Tears to cast Cure Light Wounds. He healed his friends for 28 hps and damaged the Betrayer for 14 on a successful save. Lya attacked, scoring a critical hit and another for 42 damage. Sir Otto retrieved the Lance of Huma. The Betrayer Channeled Negative Energy again, with everyone making their saves to take a measly 14 damage. Gygax cast Cure Critical Wounds defensively, delivering a touch attack. Caeldor failed his save to take 25 damage.

On Round 12 Ellinghad attempted to cast another spell that did not reflect on the recording. He failed the SR check again. Hyphen did the same move with the Tears. The Betrayer made his save, taking 13 damage from Mass Cure Light Wounds. Lya continued to shoot, striking for 30 damage. Lya’s arrows cracked the Betrayer’s mask, the lich’s phylactery. It disintegrated into ash, and Caeldor’s body convulsed and turned into dust. They watched the Betrayer’s black soul depart his body screaming as it disappeared back towards the portal.

The battle over, the survivors tended to the wounded and dead. Kayleigh urged the group to bring the corpses into the Tomb. Inside they found a collection of pale ghostly elven forms awaiting them, the ghosts of Dragon Singers pas. Kayleigh smiled, congratulating and thanking them. At the whim of her pale, outstretched hand, the burial shroud Hyphen now wore as a cape (LOL) traveled across the area. She explained that with the reconnection of the Dragon’s Graveyard to the Dome of Creation, now all the spirits of the good dragons who passed on since the Chaos War could now find eternal rest. But more importantly, the line of Dragon Singers now would continue: Lyaida “Lya” Denissa of the Silvanesti as their current heir. Everyone around the table clapped for Jess . Kayleigh instructed the heroes that it was the will of Mishakal for them to return the Tears to Father Jon Bolitho in Kalaman, the goddess’ chosen priest. She also intoned that any mortal who died in the Graveyard now had a second chance if their soul wished to return.

In a flash of light, the forms of Esilidor the tiger, Sir Royse uth Seeckt, Master Yap and the original Hyphen Umlaut came back to life via a True Resurrection spell. Hyphen Earth 1 came back without the tainted influence. No more Nega-Hyphen, yeah! Members of the party became incensed at Yap’s return, but Kayleigh intoned that though the wizard was selfish and self-absorbed, he did not truly have an evil heart. Several groaned, including complaints from Ellinghad, but no one moved again the kobold. Yap simply said he did not want a fight, and apologized for his partnership with the evil lich. He vowed upon the Magic to aid against any lingering undead in Nordmaar. This was enough for Ellinghad, who nodded in approval at the oath.

As an added bonus, Kayleigh intoned that the gods allowed another blessing. She asked each of them to choose one of their beloved items to lay on the sarcophagus. Ellinghad chose his staff. Hyphen laid down his armor; Lya’s bow.; Royse’s holy longsword; Otto’s longsword; and finally Gygax’s Headband of Charisma. A holy light enveloped the items, inferring an upgrade step of +1. For instance, Royse’s +2 holy longsword became +3. A sigil written in draconic meaning “friend” also appeared upon each one. It conferred a +2 bonus to any Charisma-based checks with dragons. The sigil needed to be visible to work properly.

Their rewards given, Kayleigh offered free reign of the Dragon’s Graveyard to rest and relax. They eventually returned to the Portal Island to an event of some distress at the Elder Dragon Shrine. All five spectral dragons crowded, inspecting a body strew upon the ground. Getting closer, it was Gilthanas, a horrified look upon the deceased elf’s face. His griffon tabard and chain shirt was torn asunder, a circular hole in his chest cavity. Seraph the Gold turned to them in consternation. “You brought the power of Chemosh here and triumphed, but it was the power of Takhisis that did this. How can this be?” It was then they noticed the five ancient good dragon skulls missing from the dais. Ellinghad’s eyes stayed locked on Gilthanas. He asked what was removed from his chest, and the ghostly dragons said a large dragon scale. Ellinghad made his DC25 Knowledge Arcana check to understand that Gilthanas was secretly a dragon vassal, controlled only by one of the Dragon Overlords. It also occurred to him that during the War of Souls, Takhisis took power from dragon totems before her death. With the good dragon skulls, her avatar form as Cole now had more power. I had Ellinghad make a DC20 Int check, which he made, to think that if there were five good dragon skulls…then why not five evil ones as well? Takhsis/Cole perhaps had the chance to regain divinity if she/he had all 10.

And that’s where we left it! So ends Spectre of Sorrows. Stay tuned for the next chapter, Price of Courage, coming soon. Our first Price of Courage gaming session is Saturday, Dec. 3. So you’ll see the next write-up around Christmas time.
    Last edited by rogue; 12-01-2016 at 03:13 PM.

That was quite a fight! Looking forward to your version of Price of Courage!
    Head Moderator &
    Member of the Whitestone Council

"Hey look! I'm the Code of Conduct! Check me out!" -The Code of Conduct

Great twist at the end, well done.
    "It's not a game of Final Fantasy where you can step outside the plot for a bit and train up your stats, it's a potentially apocalyptic final chapter in an epic drama." - Brass Tiger Captain

Thanks folks. I statted Cole with Mythic levels. Should be fun.

I hope mine goes half as well.
    Dragonlanceforums.com Moderater - To be one, ask one!

Do you love the Dragonlace Forums? Do they provide you with hours of entertainment? Why not donate? Keep the hamsters running. Ask me how!

I am sure it will!