Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rogue’s Age of Mortals Redux: Pathfinder Campaign Journal

Default Session 4: Part 1

Hello my stalwart adventurers and readers (all three of you ). I have been less motivated as of late, but I am still endeavoring to keep this journal up to date as the last session already occurred. This session won’t have too much meat to it, as we had to stop an hour into the session to level. Yes, my fault, but sometimes things have to happen before I can dole out that last chunk of XP. So without further ado…

As the dust settled, roughly a dozen dead Bakali littered the battlefield, Pitch’s Theater of the Absurd. Also strewn about were wyvern corpses, the whole area a bloody, stinking mess. Smoke rose from the scorched remains of Barathrutus, and also the fallen Solamnic knight Sir Alfonse of House Seeckt. Next to him lay Sir Royce, his master and patron. Gygax quickly ran to the two comrades, and channeled positive energy three times once everyone was in position to heal for 49 hp’s. Sadly Sir Al did not respond, already on his journey towards the River of Souls.

Ellinghad cast a quick Detect Magic, detailing that several items survived the destruction of the Aurak draconian’s death throes. This included an Amulet of Proof Against Detection, Bracers of Armor +2, a Headband of Alluring Charisma +2 and a Ring of Protection +2. They also found assorted armors and masterwork weapons. From there, the others went about trying to figure out how to activate the Fountain of Renewal. The party discussed moving the Lens of Solinari, when they heard a rasping whisper from Pitch. The dragon still lived, though his black scales were white and clouded with disease. Ellinghad and Hyphen approached to hear Pitch suggest that his remaining faithful wyverns could move the Lens on their behalf. Hyphen apologize that they blew up the other wyverns, but Pitch cared little on behalf of their betrayal.

That issue solved, the party next set to work on raising the stone work that held the disk. They would also need a glassworker for its proper installation. Again Pitch rasped in a weak voice the wyverns could aid. Ellinghad noticed Pitch cast a Sending spell, and a flight of four wyverns appeared carrying the Lens. From there a group effort started to raise the stone arch with a successful DC20 Knowledge Architecture and Engineering check. The main issue was the Lens. Ellinghad quickly Teleported to Picketville to enlist the aid of Tic-Toc and Cogsworth. They both agreed, and he returned with the gnomes minutes later when he cast the spell again through his Bonded Item. Tic-Toc spent an hour directing the wyverns on the proper placement of the disk, successful DC20 Craft Glassworking check.

During the effort, the party noticed inscriptions in a foreign language written upon the arch. They made Linguistics checks to determine it as Ancient Church Istaran, deciphering a set of instructions on how to activate the Fountain. It detailed that when the light of dawn focused through the Lens it would purify the lake, activating the Fountain of Renewal. It was 12 hours until dawn, and thus they played the waiting game. They rested, with Gygax delivering Long Term Care via a successful Heal check to Pitch to keep the dragon barely alive. Hyphen suggested using the uncorrupted Tear of Mishakal, but Gygax instinctively knew via his connection to Habbakuk that only both Tears in their uncorrupted form would have a chance at saving Pitch’s life.

Hours passed and they rested during the long night. Finally, the dawn sun crested above the cypress and mandrakes, its light focused through the Lens in a brilliant white hue. Its effect immediately purified the lake, burning away the sludge and slime. Jets of water streamed up 50 feet high, creating a shooting fountain that refracted into a rainbow path. Gygax felt a rush of warmth from his Medallion of Faith, knowing his god’s pleasure in the redemption of the holy site. A moment later, the long body of a Guardian Naga swam towards them, her human face serene and noble. She introduced herself as Asmani, a guardian of the Fountain. She thanked them for its restoration, and she asked them the reason for their journey. Hyphen brought forth the two Tears. When he produced the one corrupted by Chemosh, a yellow light pulsed from it defiantly. Suddenly a large, inky form erupted from the Tear, attempting to envelop the kender. I had Hyphen make a Will save to which he rolled a Natural 1. The Greater Shadow pulled the kender into a suddenly open portal, and they disappeared in a flash of light. The Tears hung in the air a moment, then fell to the sandy ground. On a successful Knowledge Planes check, Ellinghad determined Hyphen was currently in the Abyss! The encounter made everyone remember how when they recovered the tainted Tear from Darkhaven, a Greater Shadow did escape destruction by hiding in it. Been holding on that knowledge for a few years. 

As an aside, Matt (the player of Hyphen), had expressed unhappiness in the the converted Mystic class. This was the fix, so continue reading! I took up Hyphen’s character sheet for later use, muahahaha. Also, everyone around the table had a quick laugh when they realized Hyphen had palmed Sir Royce’s Amulet of Natural Armor while he was unconscious.

Gygax quickly recovered the pure Tear, and wrapped the other in his cloak, asking Asmani how to restore it. She instructed the servant of Habbakuk to bathe both Tears in the water of the fountain. The priest walked up the path, plunging them into the holy waters. The malevolent light of the corrupted Tear diminished, while yellow puss oozed out of the jewel. Finally, both pure jewels shone together in soft cerulean. Asmani then asked the Dragonlord Morhlex if he would be healed. Pitch replied that perhaps death was the better fate. Asmani questioned Gygax to see if he would patron the restoration of the noble black dragon. Gygax agreed, and Pitch dragged himself oh so slowly to the fountain. Again the priest plunged the Tears into the water, and the disease fell from Pitch’s scales. Pitch then totally submerged, his scales now the color of polished lead. He took to the air, bellowing a roar of victory.

Noticing the change, Ellinghad made the DC 30 Knowledge Arcana check to realize that a legend from the Age of Starbirth told that the Chromatic dragons were once metallic prior to Takhisis tainting them to her will. With Pitch’s acceptance of redemption, he no longer was a black dragon, but now a Lead Dragon known only in the days Krynn’s prehistory. Once Pitch landed, he assumed human form again, but this time in clothing of dark blue instead of black. The dragon thanked the party, and rewarded them with items from his treasure hoard: a scabbard of keen edges, braces of armor +3 and a belt of dex +2.

A sudden burst of light then reverberated from a few feet away, and the group went on the defensive. A doorway appeared, the kind known only from the Wayfarer. Out stepped a kender looking exactly like Hyphen…only with a few small differences. Basically this is whom we termed as Earth 2 Hyphen. Hyphen explained that the Wayfarer enlisted his aid from another tributary on the River of Time, whatever that meant. He was here to help! Matt previously rolled up a straight Rogue version of Hyphen, and I think he is much happier about his character. So everyone began the laborious process of leveling up and here are the updated characters:

Sir Ellinghad uth Saxis (LG male Solamnic human Wizard 5/WoHS 4/War Mage 3), an intrepid member of the Solamnic Kingfisher auxiliary and renegade hunter.

Hyphen Umlaut (CG male true kender Rogue 12), a bitingly sarcastic kender who is another version of the original party member from an alternate Krynn. He also bears the Tears of Mishakal.

Lyajaida “Lya” Denissa (CG Silvanesti elf Ranger 9/Wizard 1/Arcane Archer 2), a quiet, prideful elven ranger who was chosen by the Key of Quinari to be its wielder.

Grrrr (N male wolf), Lya’s steadfast bonded ally and protector.

Sir Royse uth Seeckt (LG Solamnic human Noble 4/Cavalier 6/Solamnic Knight 2 [Rose]), an initiate to the Order of the Rose who holds a dark secret of the coming future which he is desperate to change.

Gygax Polyhedron (LG Solamnic human Cleric 12 of Habbakuk [Animal and Travel]), a stranger who rides a tiger into battle and serves the will of Habbakuk with the Solamnic Knights.

Esilidor, cub of Arathor; First Whisker Under the sea! (N male tiger), Gygax’s great cat and steed.

More to come, folks! Stay tuned.
    -Dragonlance Nexus Social Media Manager-
    GM - ICRP: Star Wars - Dawn of Defiance

Man, let me know if you ever wind up with some weird niggling subplot you can't resolve. With as much as you've mucked with the River of Time in your game, I know another Wayfarer out there that would love to take a crack at "fixing" the Krynn you've created.
    Head Moderator &
    Member of the Whitestone Council

"Hey look! I'm the Code of Conduct! Check me out!" -The Code of Conduct

I am all for crossover! Let's discuss over beer this weekend!

Sounds like a plan!
    Head Moderator &

There's like, four at least, counting me. Nice write up!
    Dragonlanceforums.com Moderater - To be one, ask one!

Do you love the Dragonlace Forums? Do they provide you with hours of entertainment? Why not donate? Keep the hamsters running. Ask me how!

Default Session 4: Part II

After the pause to level, we kicked back in with Asmani suggesting that there next stop be Wulfgar. There they would find the way to the Dragon Graveyard and their destinies. The group around the table largely shrugged at this enigmatic suggestion, and Pitch offered for his wyverns to take them to the edge of his domain, the beginning of the grasslands of Nordmaar. Something to mention is the party agreed to have Hyphen 2 continue carrying the Tears of Mishakal for two reason. Hyphen has an obscenely high Use Magic Device modifier and the group still needed a secondary healer. No it wasn’t good roleplay, but it’s their decision, not the DM’s! They bid their farewells, and after several hours of flight, the wyverns dropped them off at the beginning of a wide expanse of gentle grasslands that stretched as far as the eye could see.

Though it was winter, this area of Nordmaar had high temperatures being closer to Krynn’s equator, and it was a relaxing 75 degrees. As they started forth, the all too quiet Master Yap tugged on Ellinghad’s white robes. The wizard asked lowly if he felt the magical energy about. When Ellinghad asked what energy, Yap answered an abundance of Necromancy, as if the land itself pulsed with it. Ellinghad kept the exchange to himself, not wanting to freak out the rest of the group. Yap continued to mumble to himself from time to time, casting detection spells and occasionally jotting notes in his spellbook.

After walking for the better part of two hours, a gust of smoke carried towards them on the wind. Well ahead, they spotted glimpses of blackened funeral pyres. Approaching the site, several figures pulled themselves up and struggled to their feet, clearly glowing with blue flame. Gygax quickly identified them as Ankholian Wights, a special type of undead created through forbidden rites to Chemosh. The wights hurried towards them, and we started a quick encounter. I won’t delve too deeply in the play by play, because this one ended pretty quickly after ranged attacks and a very strategic Battle Magic Chain Lighting spell that decimated their ranks. After the battle, upon closer inspection of the pyres, they noticed Normaarian symbol against evil to stay away from the dead. This served to show the group that undead definitely were a threat to the grasslands, and a necromancer was working against the living.

They continued travel into the evening towards Wulfgar, encountering a group of wild mustangs grazing on a low rise. As they only had Sir Royce’s horse (who I forgot to mention found retrieval magically via Ellinghad earlier) it would do well to perhaps gain some mounts. As both Lya and Gygax were both nature types, the ranger and cleric between them were able to bond with the animals on successful Wild Empathy and Handle Animals in combination with Speak with Animals spell. They gained the trust of three horses. This sped them along for another hour or so prior to settling down for the evening. They set camp and watch, encountering no issues during the night.

The next morning, Gygax cast Hero’s Feast, and Ellinghad cast the Mount spell instead of riding one of the Nordmaarian mustangs. He thought them too wild for his taste. Yap asked if he could join him as well, to which the white robe agreed. They rode for three hours, approaching Ruins of Qwes, a ruined Solamnic outpost. Coming up a hill, the party noticed a group of riders on the horizon. Closing in, the sharp eyes of Hyphen and Lya realized these riders looked strange in the fact that they were skeletons riding skeletal horses. Flanking each skeleton, two flickering leonine forms phased in and out of reality. Ellinghad identified them as Hellcats on a successful Knowledge Planes. Again, this fight isn’t necessarily worth detailing round to round as it was another minor deterrence demonstrating this group as scout outriders of the growing undead threat in Nordmaar. The combination of wizard and clerical powers combined with physical might worked in the party’s favor. The only player to take any significant damage was Hyphen, who went toe to toe with one of the skeletons and won. One thing to note was during the fight Master Yap squealed in joy while watching the skeletal warriors engage in melee. Yap did not partake in the fight, and only took notes the entire time. As he sat behind Ellinghad on his magical Mount, the white robe noticed that the kobold drooled in excitement. After the battle he asked Yap why he didn’t defend them, and Yap only answered that he’d never seen such advanced necromancy at work before. Ellinghad noticed the pages of notes the other wizard wrote during the exchange. Yap bragged that Dalamar himself would be interested in the study he planned to author. This gained eye rolls and amusement from around the table. Disgusted, Ellinghad suggested to Yap that perhaps it was time to go their separate ways, but Yap insisted that he’d served the party faithfully for weeks, putting his own life in danger. Gygax asked to see the notes and suggested they give Yap a pass this time. Lya agreed with the sentiment as the wizard aided in multiple fights. This served to annoy the Knight of the Rose, and Sir Royce ordered Ellinghad to keep the black robe in line. Surprisingly Hyphen had little to say, more enjoying the argument for entertainment’s sake.

Not liking the tone of the others, Yap dismounted off the horse while the others argued over his fate. They failed to notice the kobold pull a small iron nail from his pocket. Yap then called out “very well priest, hope you are watching.” He struck the nail into the soft grass, and all hell broke loose. As that was Yap’s surprise round, I had everyone roll initiatives. Suddenly skeletal hands struck out of the ground, reaching to grasp at all of the group with sharpened claw-like fingers. Yap had used the Iron Nail of Iteration, sensing lingering Necromancy magic left by Caeldor the Betrayer, the lich priest of Chemosh. Essentially this was super-villain tryout, as he felt threatened by the group. The clawed hands surrounded everyone in a 240-foot diameter, making it a virtual killing field. The claws slashed at everyone but Yap, with only Lya taking significant damage (21 hps worth). The claws would serve as more a distraction for the wizard to escape with negative to attacks, movement and spellcasting distraction.

First on the turn was Lya, who didn’t catch Yap use the nail. As she defended Yap earlier, the elf did not attack, only taking Total Defense against the bony claws. Hyphen came next, and due to his injury and threat of the claws, he pulled a Tear of Mishakal and cast Mass Cure Light Wounds. The spell also affected the field of bone hands, diminishing the spell trap. Up next came Sir Royce, who had enough of Master Yap. He wheeled the Lance of Huma around for a strike, taking a full-round attack. Royce previously made a Sense Motive on Yap when he plunged the Nail in the ground, understanding the betrayal. The first attack hit Yap, activating the kobold’s Contingency effect that set off a Displacement spell. Yap suffered two hits from the Lance for 40 damage, knocking him down to 7 hps. The third missed from Displacement. Yap then immediately cast a spell Defensively, disappearing into the corridors of magic (Dimension Door). The Perception DC was well too high to find him. Yap had another Dimension Door memorized anyway, enough to get him a half-mile away and then hide. There was some grumbling when Hyphen made a 39 Perception check, but by the rules the DC is +1 for every 10 feet, making it a DC 90 check. Ellinghad then cast Greater Dispel Magic with a successful check to end the spell trap.

We left it there with the party unhappy with the exchange, and feeling a bit exposed when they figured out Yap definitely was now the enemy. So at that, I have to write up session 5 before our next scheduled game on Aug. 14th. I’ll work through that soon!

Stay tuned!
    Last edited by rogue; 07-21-2016 at 09:00 PM.

Very cool!
    Dragonlanceforums.com Moderater - To be one, ask one!

Do you love the Dragonlace Forums? Do they provide you with hours of entertainment? Why not donate? Keep the hamsters running. Ask me how!

Yeah, this is one of the first re-tellings I've encountered where Yap's betrayal felt motivated by something other than, "I'm a bad guy! I must be bad!" While it felt like he was definitely being evil, it also felt true to the character as he was presented. I only ever felt like I did justice to Yap the time I ran these modules as solo adventures for my wife. I think he's tricky to play, but when you do it right, very rewarding.

Well done!
    Head Moderator &

Thanks sir. He had actually become part of the party. I really played up his zeal in watching the undead battle. But when the white robe was all gtfo backed by the knight....the dynamic changed. It was hilarious when Dan (Ellinghad) said out of character, "this is totally his job interview."

Default Session 5: Part I

Hi there, and welcome to the quick and dirty update to the campaign journal. As this session was mostly fighting, I won’t get too in to detail of each battle, but focus on what’s important.

Sir Ellinghad uth Saxis (LG male Solamnic human Wizard 5/WoHS 4/War Mage 3), an intrepid member of the Solamnic Kingfisher auxiliary and renegade hunter.

Hyphen Umlaut (CG male true kender Rogue 12), a bitingly sarcastic kender who is another version of the original party member from an alternate Krynn. He also bears the Tears of Mishakal.

Lyajaida “Lya” Denissa (CG Silvanesti elf Ranger 9/Wizard 1/Arcane Archer 2), a quiet, prideful elven ranger who was chosen by the Key of Quinari to be its wielder.

Grrrr (N male wolf), Lya’s steadfast bonded ally and protector.

Sir Royse uth Seeckt (LG Solamnic human Noble 4/Cavalier 6/Solamnic Knight 2 [Rose]), an initiate to the Order of the Rose who holds a dark secret of the coming future which he is desperate to change.

Gygax Polyhedron (LG Solamnic human Cleric 12 of Habbakuk [Animal and Travel]), a stranger who rides a tiger into battle and serves the will of Habbakuk with the Solamnic Knights.

Esilidor, cub of Arathor; First Whisker Under the sea! (N male tiger), Gygax’s great cat and steed.

We picked back up with the players having a conversation amongst themselves regarding Master Yap, and how his defection would endanger their progress moving through the Horselands of Nordmaar. They continued towards Wulfgar, feeling uncomfortable at the turn of events. As they traveled, many noticed a group of a nine flying beasts high in the air. With successful Knowledge Arcana checks they identified the flight as Chimaeras, and they looked to be flying at breakneck speed away from something. As they watched, the flight of monsters changed course in a V formation, directly towards the party. On a low Survival check, Lya definitely warned the party that they were now prey. I rolled a rando encounter, so why not? The group suspected that whatever scared a flight of such fearsome animals was definite foreshadowing.

The battle got under way with the group buffing themselves up with spells as they had roughly 9 rounds to prepare. Hyphen dismounted and hid in the tall grasses. I had the players make Ride checks to keep their mounts from bolting. When close enough, Lya and Ellinghad started peppering them with Fireballs and Arrows, getting the threats down to six. A fierce melee ensued when the beasts finally reached the party and dived down leading in with various breath weapons of acid, lightning and fire. From there spells, arrows, swords, fire whips and the Lance of Huma made quick work of the enemy. The fight went on for a time, with the heroes suffering minor wounds that Gygax quickly remedied with some healing bursts.

Travel continued into the later afternoon, with the party finally coming upon the Ruins of Qwes at dusk. Knowledge History rolls revealed it a ruined Solamnic outpost destroyed by dragons during the War of the Lance. They decided to explore, noticing ruined outbuildings and odd piles of skull encircling the entire property (successful Perception). Hyphen inspected, finding differing skulls ranging from animal to human. As Lya was closest, she made successful DC25 Knowledge Arcana check to realize they were magical in nature. Ellinghad Detected Magic, sifting through two existing spell effects of Dimensional Anchor and Unhallow that permeated everything inside the circle, or basically the entire fortress. Always up to the challenge, I allowed Hyphen two Disable Device checks to attempt to disrupt the Skull Circle. Why not? It was creative and in his wheelhouse. Each was DC35, and he failed the second one with a 33, declaring the all clear. Seeing that this version of Hyphen seemed very similar to their own, Ellinghad decided to Detect Magic to check his work. Though the Dimensional Anchor effect was gone, the Unhallow was still strong. The white robe then cast Dispel Magic Greater to take care of the remaining dweomer. He failed the caster level check, realizing a superior spellcaster at work. Hyphen tried again, and made it afterwards.

Feeling marginally secure, the group continued onward to the ruins, seeing that in the failing sunlight that spectral shadows of the ruined portions of the wall shone oddly with other-worldly light. The fortress definitely suffered from a curse. The two-level structure radiated Necromancy from Ellinghad’s Detect Magic. Leaving the horses outside, they entered through a hole in the west-side wall that led directly into a ruined chapel of Kiri-Jolith. They encountered no life, animal or otherwise. An eerie quiet permeated the entire keep, much like death itself. The heroes continued through the rest of the keep, searching ruined rooms all connected by a huge great hall. They found no items, the area picked clean decades earlier.

I do have to note as I explained room after empty room, I looked around the table to see my entire group of five people playing Pokemon Go! Grrrrrr, that damn game is out of control. When everyone put their phones down…well some, we continued onward after my players called me for Team Rocket, and I responded with my best Meowth impression. Sigh.

As they gathered back in the great hall and opened the originally secured main doors to the keep, the heroes felt a chill in the air. An inhuman wail traveled up towards them, and an army of the lifeless revealed itself on the march towards Qwes. With the sun now set, spectral visages of dozens of shadows, wraiths and other unseemly undead surrounded the ruins. At the head of the army sat a priest wearing goat skull mask upon an impossibly thin black horse that burned in ghostly flame. He wore ivory-enameled bone-white armor, carrying a wicked mace in his right hand. Finally, the Betrayer and his undead horde revealed themselves!

Remembering him from their travel through the River of Time at Hurim, the party instantly made ready for war. “LIFE FOR UNLIFE,” the Betrayer screamed, and we went into initiatives.

Stay tuned for Part II. Up next, the Battle of Qwes!
    Last edited by rogue; 08-11-2016 at 03:59 PM.