Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rogue’s Age of Mortals Redux: Pathfinder Campaign Journal

Default Rogue’s Age of Mortals (SoS) Redux: Pathfinder Campaign Journal

Welcome to the first entry in my oddball Age of Mortals Campaign. A little backstory is necessary to connect the dots. From June 2010 to December 2013, I ran the original Age of Mortals Campaign with my group in Dallas, TX. We made it from Key of Destiny through Chapter 4 in Spectre of Sorrows. I moved to Maryland for a new job, and left my group in the hands of another DM. As trends often go, the group became disinterested and fell off a few months after my departure.

Fast forward to the end of January 2016. I have since moved back to Dallas, and I started the process of getting the band together. Mistakes were made that heavily taxed the dynamic of the group, which included a Deck of Many Things that nerfed the party at the time. I had the tenuous agreement of my players to come back together for more sessions, but there needed to be a bit of a shift. First off, we decided to change settings to the Pathfinder system. From there, I used some clever plotting with what had happened to somewhat perform a soft reboot. I allowed my players the option of converting their current characters into the new system, or create a new character to join the party. We used the information for the conversion project currently underway here on the Nexus. How you ask? Continue reading and find out!

A few pieces of plot that I changed during the course of the previous campaign of note:

• The Herald/Wayfarer/Journeyman: In our version of Age of Mortals, the Herald took a greater interest in the party, aiding in recruiting the group together in Pashin much like Fizban did in Solace in the War of the Lance. As the campaign progressed, the Herald’s identity became revealed as the Journeyman/Wayfarer (Anvil of Time series), a time traveling bard who used the Anvil of Time to aid in changing a dark future where Chemosh and Frost have destroyed the landscape of Krynn due to their dark alliance. The Herald appeared at odd times, spouting cryptic prophecy and offering advice to keep the group on track. Sometimes he appeared old, others younger. It was a strange occurrence when it happened and usually the players groaned when he appeared. 

• Takhisis: During the group’s visit to the Shattered Temple in Hurim, they encountered an Aspect of Takhisis during a jump to the past in the Shrine of Darkness. The party’s rogue at the time arrogantly bragged that she was dead in their future. Takhisis offered the rogue a parting gift, an enchanted amulet to aid him in his quest. He accepted. What they didn’t know was Takhisis, fearing her own apparent mortality in the future, imparted her life essence into the item. I spent the better part of a few months slowly tainting the rogue with dark promises. When the player decided to leave the group, I turned the rogue into a villain. The party defeated the rogue, but not before the amulet drained the rogue’s life-force, sprouted insect-like legs and ran off after the Peak of Malystryx blew up in Chapter 1 of Spectre of Sorrows. The party’s elven ranger attempted to destroy the amulet as it escaped in the dust and ash, but missed the shot due to a critical fumble of the party’s kender nightstalker. The kender changed time, and thus planted the kernel for me to play with the River at a later date. Several chapters later, the amulet showed back up, this time bonded with the sorcerous Thorn Knight named Cole, who had plagued the party since Pashin as a double agent for the Dark Knights of Neraka. With the help of the Tower of High Sorcery’s Renegade Hunter’s through the contact of the party’s white robe Kingfisher, they brought Cole to justice. They left him in a holding cell in the Tower of High Sorcery at Wayreth for study. The heads of the Orders vowed to attempt to remove Takhisis’ taint. During the campaign, Cole had started to look more androgynous as well, further proving Takhisis’ growing power. He also started exhibiting special powers from the Trickery domain, much to the chagrin of the party.

Those are the major shifts, and rest will follow. Without further ado…

Session 1:

Four pairs of eyes opened from different spots on the hard stone floor. They awoke at a landing of stairs that led down to the floor of a cube-shaped huge room, brilliantly lit by torch-stands and a blue aura. In the center of the room, mounted on a stonework pedestal, a colossal machine of curious workmanship stood, exuding the aura.

To the people regaining consciousness the room was unsettling. Six doors exited the room, all with a strange glow about their edges, each one perched at the top of stairs identical to the one next to them. But as perception and awareness sharpened, each set lead up the wall or to the ceiling with its own subjectional gravity. The surprised adventurers took their feet, trying hard to remember how they got there.

The Old Guard:

Sir Ellinghad uth Saxis (LG male Solamnic human Wizard 5/WoHS 3/War Mage 3), an intrepid member of the Solamnic Kingfisher auxiliary and renegade hunter.

Hyphen Umlaut (CG male true kender Rogue 3/Mystic of Spiritualism 8), a bitingly sarcastic kender nightstalker who is the current bearer of both the purified and tainted Tears of Mishakal.

Lyajaida “Lya” Denissa (CG Silvanesti elf Ranger 9/Wizard 1/Arcane Archer 1), a quiet, prideful elven ranger who was chosen by the Key of Quinari to be its wielder.

Grrrr (N male wolf), Lya’s steadfast bonded ally and protector.

I had the three PC’s rolls perception checks. Next to them lay the Dragonlance of Huma and the Shard of Light, each glowing steadily. Staring down at them from the ceiling were five other people and a docile tiger, all strangers except the young human male dressed in greyish robes. He looked familiar. All of the player’s made Wisdom checks to realize it was a younger version of the Wayfarer, watching him while he toiled at the glowing magical machine. The man waved for them to “walk down.”

Collecting the lance and shard, they warily approached and Ellinghad made a successful DC30 Knowledge Arcana check to identify the room as the Anvil of Time, a legendary lost stronghold where the Device of Time Journeying was forged, and also used by acolytes to study Krynn’s history and future. Ellinghad made a note to count it as “found.” He explained quickly to his allies where they were as they struggled to remember their last moments. Each person had a nagging feeling as something monumental had shifted in their lives, but could not put a finger on it.

They dizzyingly made their way across to the ceiling, seeing an armored dwarf, an armored human standing next to a tiger and two other human males wearing accoutrements of the Rose and Crown. Umlaut the kender broke the awkward silence by asking where there other friends were. Sadly, he couldn’t totally remember them; only that they were absent.

“Your friends were erased from the River,” the Wayfarer explained plaintively. “When you, a kender, pulled a card from the Deck of Many Things and were eaten by a Balor, you created a paradox, creating a fork in the River of Time that threatened to eat all other Rivers.”

“The older version of myself was luckily journeying when this happened, and almost killed when the universe began to turn in on itself. He came to me just before death, and here we are now.”

“I was only able to save those who had not touched the Deck, and thus the dwarf, minotaur and red robe are gone forever.”

The younger Wayfarer let that set in before beginning again. He explained that once he inserted them back in the timeline, the River would straighten, creating a different Krynn, one perhaps more magically potent. (This explained the jump to Pathfinder). The time ahead is dark and many details have changed, including now a war in the none-too-distant future between not only Chemosh and Frost, but also a returned Takhisis. So not only must they continue their quest to purify the Tears of Mishakal and find the Dragon’s Graveyard, but also keep Takhisis’ living Aspect Cole from getting access as well. The Herald warned that if Cole/Takhisis found access to the graveyard, Takhisis would surely again become a goddess. The Wayfarer then introduced the five others he yanked from the future to help guide them on a better course.

The Future Brigade:

Bomreck Bristlebeard (LG Daewar dwarf Cleric 11 of Reorx [Forge and Light]), a bombastic mountain dwarf cleric of whom little is known about, with clan ties to the forging of the Shard of Light.

Sir Royse uth Seeckt (LG Solamnic human Noble 4/Cavalier 6/Solamnic Knight 1 [Rose]), an initiate to the Order of the Rose who holds a dark secret of the coming future which he is desperate to change.

Gygax Polyhedron (LG Solamnic human Cleric 11 of Habbakuk [Animal and Travel]), a stranger who rides a tiger into battle and serves the will of Habbakuk with the Solamnic Knights.

Sir Alfonse (Al) of House Seeckt (LG Solamnic human Fighter 9), Royse’s retainer and loyal servant

Tony (N male tiger), Gygax’s great cat and steed.

As you can see, everyone took such great care with naming their characters.

Up next: Getting back to Ansalon.
    Last edited by rogue; 11-23-2016 at 10:59 AM.
    -Dragonlance Nexus Social Media Manager-
    GM - ICRP: Star Wars - Dawn of Defiance

Firstly, I just want to say how glad I am to see you doing a campaign journal! Sure, I'd much rather you were still living in Maryland and playing in my game, but this is an acceptable consolidation prize.

I really want to find a way to use this fork in the River of Time for Dragons on the River of Time (like someone playing one of those erased characters). You've done some really cool stuff to make the adventure your own. I'm going to be picking your brain about the Anvil of Time in the near future, I think!

However, I'm most excited to see some of our Pathfinder conversions play-tested and then written about where we can read how well they did or didn't work. It looks like you've got a decent mix of races and classes, but could they be any more goody-goody? Sheesh. So much Lawfulness! Did the racial builds at least seem pretty on point for the little bit they were in action?

I also think it's interesting that my idea to use the cavalier for the Solamnics instead of a PrC got shot down in the conversion discussion and yet here you have a noble/cavalier/Knight of the Rose. Which cavalier order did the player choose to stand in for the Solamnics? That is a character built in synergy heaven if you ask me! He is going to control the battlefield like it's his job or something!

Also: Gygax Polyhedron? Tony the Tiger? I laughed pretty hard at those. And for as ridiculous as the dwarf's name is it sounds exactly like it fell out of the Dwarven Nations trilogy. I like it.

Looking forward to more write-ups! Good luck with the game, Ed!
    Head Moderator &
    Member of the Whitestone Council

"Hey look! I'm the Code of Conduct! Check me out!" -The Code of Conduct

Thank you sir. Yes, I am going to finish writing up the rest of the session here today. I really miss playing with you all, and I am looking forward to at least coming back for the final push of your campaign.

Feel free to ask about the Anvil, but most of my information comes from the back of the Legends of the Twins sourcebook. There is even a picture of the Anvil room posted below.

The playtesting went well, and I have one battle that will be recorded today. Everyone was happy with their class features and racial traits. To your question about the Cavaliers, in my version of Krynn the cavalier base class belongs totally to the Ergothian Cavaliers. Sir Royce was a displaced Solamnic noble who started his career in Ergoth, and joined the Solamnic knighthood later in life. You have to remember he comes from a few years in the future. I can't remember which order he took, but I'll get it.

The cool part is I get to have some of my player's meet their past/future selves. I would totally be down to work with you if you want to use this fork of the River. I look at this like the Star Trek reboot movie.

Back to silly names, you have to understand that the level of sarcasm and silliness in my group reminds me of stand-up comedy. Everyone has jokes. The guy who plays the dwarf is actually our new player, and the dude basically reminds me of Daniel Tosh. The tiger-rider and the kender are brothers in real life...and well, those guys are jokers too. And then of course my own brother plays the mage...so it's family argument time at the table every session. Apparently the tiger rider cleric wants to change his tiger's name to this:

"Esilidor, cub of Arathor; First Whisker Under the sea!"

Anyway, there is no monotony in my game. NONE! lol.

Anvil.jpg
    Last edited by rogue; 05-12-2016 at 04:54 PM.

Thanks for sharing. I am looking forward to reading.
    "It's not a game of Final Fantasy where you can step outside the plot for a bit and train up your stats, it's a potentially apocalyptic final chapter in an epic drama." - Brass Tiger Captain

Default Session 1: Part 2

With the exposition complete, I had the members of the party give descriptions to one another. As we added a new player to the group, we also took some time here to explain some of the ins and outs of the Dragonlance campaign setting like kender, Wizards of High Sorcery etc. I also opened up to any questions the players had for the Wayfarer. Sir Ellinghad asked how to kill Cole/Takhisis. The Wayfarer revealed they needed to remove the fused amulet from Cole’s body.

The party then spent some time figuring out who was going to carry the Dragonlance and Shard of Light. They came to consensus that Sir Royce would wield the lance once he swore on his honor to protect the other members of the group and bring their quest to its end. Sir Royce actually also made Sir Ellinghad swear on his honor to keep Hyphen the kender in line, as he didn’t trust “their kind.” Fun stuff. From there discussion trended to the Shard. Bombwreck the dwarf spoke up, saying he had hereditary rights as his clan forged it. Everyone around the table just kind of shrugged it off and let him have it with no argument. Apparently everyone just wanted to get the story started, so I detailed each magic item’s abilities to each player and we moved on.

The Wayfarer then went to the controls of the great machine in the center of the room, and the blue aura grew brighter. The energy collected, and then visibly arced out to the different doors all over the wall and ceiling. A door opened, and the Wayfarer silently pointed for them to step through. The group found themselves in a few inches of thick mud in the early evening. Brackish ponds and dark water surrounded them, the beginnings of Great Moors of Nordmaar. Ahead, a wooden sign fashioned to look like a mushroom read “Mount Nevermind Remote Horticulture Research Colony.” Underneath the bold lettering, a less even hand scrawled “Picketville, established 384 AC, population: 310.”

I then had Sir Ellinghad, Lya and Hyphen roll FORT saves. Only Hyphen made the DC20 save, as the others clutched their heads as conflicting memories gave them the worst headache of their adult lives. Both Ellinghad and Lya felt like they were two different people inside their brains. I then had them roll one more FORT save to keep from passing out, which they both made. Both players were sickened for the next 10 minutes as they both began to vomit and have nose bleeds.

While the others watched the white robe and elf toss their cookies, they noticed two others standing next to them, a black robe kobold and a disheveled looking gnome with a shock of white hair that stood up on end as if being struck by lightning. Master Yap came forward, wondering what was going on. The gnome Cogsworth was fighting his own inner conflict. He looked from the three members of the original party, to the four of the newcomers in confused motions. Rattling off in gnomish, he asked who the new people were. I had those not puking make a DC25 Knowledge Arcana check, and the party determine that gnomes as a greygem race are sensitive to time magic. As the timeline reasserted itself, the Wayfarer assumed the new people would fill the void created by the loss of three others erased from time. It didn’t work for Cogsworth. Cogsworth started freaking out, and finally passed out from the strain. I do want to note that the dwarf tried to give Cogsworth a sip of his flask to no avail. As the gnome had suffered at the chaotic magics of the Celestinfernal Machine back in Tic-Toc’s Clock Tower, he was a bit sensitive after all. The priests made some Heal checks, and he seemed drained from high stress, definitely looking on the border of insanity. The group decided to pick him up and find a place to camp for the night. They made successful survival checks to find a dry campsite and set watch for the evening.

At breakfast the next morning, a flash of blue interrupted breakfast as a black robed, bald dwarf appeared from the corridors of magic. It was Sledge Fatherless, the head of the Renegade Hunters for the Orders of High Sorcery. There was grumbling from the knights and the dwarf for the double whammy of being an evil magic user and a Fatherless dwarf. Sledge cut a menacing figure with a dwarven waraxe on his back and tattoos dotting his bald skull. As the dwarf growled at the others who stood up, Sir Ellinghad made motions for them to relax, and greeted Sledge respectfully, if a bit terse. Sledge reported that the sorcerer Cole had escaped from Wayreth and was at large. Cole had thus far evaded all attempts at Divination by the Orders.

It was then the white robe Kingfisher came clean about traveling through the River of Time on more than one occasion, and Takhisis’ influence throughout. Enraged, the Fatherless dwarf said there would be hell to pay, and disappeared back into the ether. Ellinghad then had to deal with more grief from Sir Royce regarding the company he kept, including two black robe wizards. After much reassuring, Sir Royce was mollified as Ellinghad explained about Renegade Hunters, and again swore on his honor to take responsibility for watching the kender and the kobold.

The group set out for Picketville, and I awarded an XP award for all the wonderful roleplay. During the walk, they continued to speak with Cogsworth and explain some of the strange things that occurred, who upon awakening had no memory of the time shift. The gnome was much rejuvenated after sleep though. Cogsworth explained a little history about Picketville, and how the gnomes there have gone “wild,” and being more in tune with nature. The players joked that the gnomes had gone “free range” or became hippy gnomes. Fun times.

They came to a small village full of wooden huts and small brick buildings. Dozens of gnomes moved around the settlement tending to plants and hydroponic gardens. The gnomes mostly ignored the party for the first several minutes. After a few minutes of milling about, Master Yap impatiently suggested they introduce themselves. They interrupted a gnome who absently told them to find Picket in the hydro gardens. They walked deeper into the village, passing by homes, a pavilion being set up for the midday meal, a shrine and other odds and ends. Coming to the hydroponic garden, they found a gnome matching Picket’s description. Picket tended a large bed of roses contained in a large, perfectly crafted disk of clear crystal. Ellinghad, Hyphen and Lya all couldn’t keep their eyes off it, somehow remembering something about its significance. Technically the party had played through this part, but it was retconned as not happening as time had changed. So I gave them inklings of their previous memories. Again Sir Ellinghad made a DC30 Knowledge Arcana check (sigh, he has a +20), successfully realizing that the disk was the Lens of Solinari, a component to the Fountain of Renewal, the place they needed to find to purify the Tears of Mishakal.

After some back and forth with Picket, they found out about the town, and also how the disk of crystal got there. Months earlier, bakali lizardfolk and an aurak draconian named Barathrutus relocated the disk. Apparently Barathrutus worked for the local dragon overlord Morlex, who went by the name Pitch, and was their wise and benevolent ruler. Barathrutus moved it to Picketville from Mohrlexctlan, Pitch’s domain deep in the Great Moors. During the exchange, Picket told Cogsworth where he could find Tic-Toc, and the tinker gnome ran off excitedly. Sir Royce asked how to get to this Mohrlexctlan, to which Picket happily agreed to give them directions to. Sir Ellinghad then shared they would need the large disk to bring with them. The white robe explained it was their “life quest” to restore the Tears at the Fountain of Renewal. Picket had no idea where or what the Fountain of Renewal was, but agreed to help anyone with their life quest.

Suddenly, an outbreak of cries and havoc came from the far side of the garden. Over a dozen axe-wielding lizardfolk rushed out of the swamp. Many of the gnomes dropped what they were doing to run away or hide. Successful Perception checks revealed the bakali looked crazed, and each had bony protrusions sticking out from all over their bodies, a sure sign of disease. We went to combat, and this is where I realized the power creep of the Pathfinder setting.

I spent a good amount of time converting and tuning up the fight with the 13 bakali, upping their CL by one each. It wasn’t enough. Normally I would detail the fight, but the party steamrolled over the encounter with Fireballs and other AOE’s, or just tore through them due to their low armor class. I ended up making two hits the entire hour of combat. So the next session I’ll up my baddies again to successfully challenge Pathfinder players. Though the encounter was not deigned for difficulty, it established there is something wrong with the bakali and that they suffer from disease.

At combat’s end, only Bombwrek and Picket sustained 12 points of damage a piece from axe hits. Big whoop. As the dust settled, another group of non-diseased lizarfolk led by a golden draconian made their way into the village. Picket thanked the gods that Barathrutus had returned to set things right.

We left it there. Our next session is this Saturday, April 23. Stay tuned for more updates!
    Last edited by rogue; 04-20-2016 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tauren_Kai-Jere View Post
    I also think it's interesting that my idea to use the cavalier for the Solamnics instead of a PrC got shot down in the conversion discussion and yet here you have a noble/cavalier/Knight of the Rose. Which cavalier order did the player choose to stand in for the Solamnics? That is a character built in synergy heaven if you ask me! He is going to control the battlefield like it's his job or something!
    He is from the Order of the Shield.

I am ENTIRELY familiar with the inability to challenge Pathfinder characters in combat. My sympathies.
    Dragonlanceforums.com Moderater - To be one, ask one!

Do you love the Dragonlace Forums? Do they provide you with hours of entertainment? Why not donate? Keep the hamsters running. Ask me how!

Quote Originally Posted by SuperBall View Post
    I am ENTIRELY familiar with the inability to challenge Pathfinder characters in combat. My sympathies.
    Oh it won't happen twice. Muahahahahaha.

Default Session 2: Part 1

Sir Ellinghad uth Saxis (LG male Solamnic human Wizard 5/WoHS 3/War Mage 3), an intrepid member of the Solamnic Kingfisher auxiliary and renegade hunter.

Hyphen Umlaut (CG male true kender Rogue 3/Mystic of Spiritualism 8), a bitingly sarcastic kender nightstalker who is the current bearer of both the purified and tainted Tears of Mishakal.

Lyajaida “Lya” Denissa (CG Silvanesti elf Ranger 9/Wizard 1/Arcane Archer 1), a quiet, prideful elven ranger who was chosen by the Key of Quinari to be its wielder.

Grrrr (N male wolf), Lya’s steadfast bonded ally and protector.

Bomreck Bristlebeard (LG Daewar dwarf Cleric 11 of Reorx [Forge and Light]), a bombastic mountain dwarf cleric of whom little is known about, with clan ties to the forging of the Shard of Light.

Sir Royse uth Seeckt (LG Solamnic human Noble 4/Cavalier 6/Solamnic Knight 1 [Rose]), an initiate to the Order of the Rose who holds a dark secret of the coming future which he is desperate to change.

Gygax Polyhedron (LG Solamnic human Cleric 11 of Habbakuk [Animal and Travel]), a stranger who rides a tiger into battle and serves the will of Habbakuk with the Solamnic Knights.

Sir Alfonse (Al) of House Seeckt (LG Solamnic human Fighter 9), Royse’s retainer and loyal servant

Esilidor, cub of Arathor; First Whisker Under the sea! (N male tiger), Gygax’s great cat and steed.

We left off with Barathrutus the Aurak coming into Picketsville to much fanfare of the gathered wild gnomes. The draconian approached the motley group, introducing himself as the trusted agent of Mohrlex. Apologizing to the gathered townspeople, he explained that a plague currently affected many of the bakali, and even Pitch himself. Picket invited everyone to a town meeting held within the hour. Everyone agreed, and at the suggestion of Barathrutus, the gnomes gathered up the deceased Bakali for burning.

An hour later, the Picketsville community met, hosting a large dinner of local foods found around the swamp. The pinnacle was a large rack of ankheg that everyone tore hunks of pink meat from. After the meal, Picket turned the floor to Barathrutus who immediately started relaying what he knew of the Bakali plague. Meanwhile, the group made several checks while the verbose draconian rattled on.

A successful Knowledge History check from Ellinghad revealed some of the history of Pitch in regard to him being a dragon overlord who treated his people quite fairly for a black dragon. The Great Moors were home to human tribesman, bakali and of course the wild gnomes, and this afternoon’s attack was the first in years. A successful Sense Motive check from Hyphen relayed to the group that while Barathrutus told his tale of the bakali plague well, he was definitely holding back several details. This brought small discussion within the group with another successful Knowledge History check that Pitch had made an enemy of Sable, a greater overlord, and the plague might be her doing. With Hyphen and Ellinghad’s input, Gygax discreetly cast a Detect Alignment divination at Barathrutus, and found dismay when the spell failed.

Barathrutus continued with the details of the plague, and explained it calcified the scales of those affected with bony protrusions. It also brought madness and eventual death. Thus far only those with dragon heritage suffered. Picket joined the conversation relaying that though many in the village studied the disease, they found no cure. Apparently Pitch himself came to the village months earlier. Ellinghad then spoke up, saying that perhaps finding the Fountain of Renewal could cure the afflicted. The mage also brought up the fact of borrowing the Lens of Solinari, which doubled as a large plant pot. All noted Barathrutus’ annoyance when the draconian shifted the subject, suggesting the adventurers make their way to Mohrlexctlan to ask Pitch, who was quite knowledgeable on such subjects. He also guaranteed "safe passage" through the Great Moors.

Picket then offered the resources of the town to transport them all via raft. Walking with the lens was simply impossible due to its heavy weight. Though dubious of Barathrutus who refused to accompany them, the party agreed. Of course they were dubious, because several of them had already faced him in the other fork of the River. The draconian suggested that travel with such an item was dangerous, and the gnomes currently found a good use for it. The group made more Sense Motives check successfully, knowing Barathrutus definitely didn’t want them to have it. Picket stepped in again, supporting the heroes in their endeavor, and the draconian let the subject pass, taking his leave with his retinue moments later. The meeting ended, and the party took their rest to leave via boat the next morning.

The next morning, Sir Royse threw a fit when he found there was no room on the boats for his horses; especially since there was room for a tiger and a wolf! The player argued, and threatened to put Ellinghad on report…until he remembered he was from a bit farther down the River of Time. Grudgingly, he left the horses, and the group set out with two boats, a barge for the lens and enough water and rations to get through a week in the Great Moors. The wild gnomes saw them off, and the dangerous travel through the Great Moors started…

Next time: Dragon Fights, and other combat fun-stuff
    Last edited by rogue; 05-17-2016 at 04:57 PM.

Default Session 2: Part II

The PC’s chose which boats they were on, and we set off on the next leg of the chapter. As the player who is Bomreck was sadly absent (how dare he have a life and play a gig with his rock band!), I had him on the raft with the Lens of Solinari, terribly seasick. Yes, I know the brackish water of a swamp doesn’t give anyone motion sickness. Maybe it was a very fast-paced swamp, you don’t know!

Moving on, the PC’s knew it was roughly three days travel through the swamp and Picket afforded them a map. Lya took point, and the green-mask wearing elf led the ship through the circuitous waterways leading to Mohrlextlan. After five hours of travel into the swamp, I had the players make Perception checks. Most of the group passed the check and I allowed them to not be Surprised. They noticed two immense, dark shapes in the water, one ahead and one behind coming at them in a pincer movement. We went straight into rounds and recorded initiatives.

Hyphen the kender opened cobat by casting Darkness under the boats to keep the beasts from tipping them over. Lya was up next, and the elf used the magical ability of her Oathbow to ignore the cover provided by the water. She targeted the lead shape, and hit for six damage. While Master Yap cast Mage Armor, Sir Royce pulled the Dragonlance of Huma with Sir Al drawing his greatsword. Ellinghad, on a successful Knowledge Arcana check, cast Protection from Energy (Acid), while Gygax started a full-round action to cast Beast Shape III. The monsters came last in the round. Two adult black dragons splashed out of the water, taking flight at about 20 feet in the air to avoid the magical darkness. One activated its frightful presence for a DC19 Will save. Only Gygax’s tiger failed to become Shaken. The second dragon breathed acid on the members on one of the boats (Lya, Sir Royce, Sir Al and Gygax). Royce and Lya failed and took 48 points of damage, while Al and Gygax took half. I realized later I screwed up and didn’t call for a Concentration check for the spell in progress. Sigh.

Moving to round two, Hyphen cast Call Undead IV, summoning two 8 HD ghosts. The other undead options he had didn’t work over water. Lya then unleashed a full-round attack with Multishot, hitting twice for 20 damage. Master Yap cast Spectral Hand, the ghostly appendage appearing close to one of the marauders. Sir Royce began working the battlefield by Inspiring Confidence on his allies and issuing a Cavalier’s Challenge to the closest black dragon, while Sir Al pulled a net from his pack. Ellinghad then made a smart wizard decision by casting Freezing Sphere and using the War Mage Battle Magic ability. He broke spell resistance and the dragon failed its Reflex, taking 82 damage due to it having the water subtype. Inadvertently, Ellinghad also flash-froze the water ahead, stopping the boats’ progress. Meanwhile, Gygax completed his spell and jumped into the water while turning himself and tiger into giant squid. He moved closer to the non-iced dragon, and succeeded in lashing it with a tentacle and starting a grapple. Esilidor-squid swam and grappled the other as well. The dragons closed the round with some conflict. The one grappling Gygax-squid succeeded in using its breath weapon, a natural attack. Gygax failed the reduced save (no Dex) and took 54 damage, becoming unconscious at -6 hp’s. This broke grapple, and the dragon again took to the air. The other dragon failed the attempt to break grapple against Esilidor-squid.

Round three kicked off with Hyphen casting Cure Moderate Wounds and making a successful Acrobatics check to jump into the brackish water and swim check to reach Gygax-Squid. Gygax-squid healed 19 hp’s, coming back to consciousness. Hypehn’s ghosts then flanked and used Corrupting Touch attacks to deal 16 damage to the recently-freed dragon. Lya again shot the now grappled enemy, dealing a nasty critical total of 32 damage. Yap then maneuvered his spectral hand to cast Vampiric Touch, doing 34 more. Sir Royce sprang into action, making the Acrobatics check to jump from the boat on to the ice and attack the grappled dragon with the Lance of Huma. With a flash, the strike put down the monster (Con damage etc). Sir Alfonse delayed to tend his master and aid him back on the boat. Ellinghad fell into a spell, sending a Battle Magic (+2) Lightning Bolt that struck the wyrm for 66 on a botched save. Battle Magic is not fun. Meanwhile, Gygax and Esilidor used their actions to put Hyphen and Sir Royce back on their respective rafts. The last surviving dragon closed the round by returning to the water as a free-fall action, and unleashing a full attack on Sir Royce, only dealing 17 damage. Royce has a very high AC, and I rolled very poorly.

On Round 4, Hyphen continued ghost attacks, dealing 23 Corrupting Touch damage. The kender also drew his sithak, but rolled a natural 1 on the attack. We play with the Pathfinder Fumble deck. Drawing a card, Hyphen took 3 points of Dex damage, spraining his arm. I love that deck. Lya finished off the dragon with a barrage of arrows, ending combat.

At this point, things got wonky. The group decided they wanted to process the dragon corpses for things like armor/weapon crafting and spell components. Before turning back, the squid-players dragged the deceased onto the shore, while the others brought the boats. There they spent the better part of an hour hacking and butchering the oversized bodies. During the pause, Gygax channeled Positive Energy to heal the group.

While the players wrote down what dragon parts they wanted, I became bored and dropped another encounter on the group. I attempted to have a 14-headed hydra sneak up on them. That failed horribly with Perception checks in the high 20’s or low 30’s. They had three rounds to pepper it with Fireballs, arrows and other AOE’s. The encounter was mostly a wash that I don’t really need to recount here. No one took damage, but perhaps one or two hits, even with the hydra’s regeneration abilities. From there, the group took back to the waterways until nightfall, finding a place to camp for the evening.

That’s where we left it. Next game day is this Saturday, May 21. Stay tuned!
    Last edited by rogue; 05-17-2016 at 08:10 PM.