Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Age of Mortals KOD campaign diary

Default New Age of Mortals KOD campaign diary

Several friends have played D&D for years, but never played Dragonlance. As I told them I would only play in a Dragonlance campaign, I never played with them. However, they finally wanted to know about it, having limited knowledge of the world, and they asked me to GM as long as they got to play with the "cooler" races....(sigh). So my opening party consisted of:

Nzunta Black Robed Mage (LE)
    Bozak Sorcerer (CG!)
    Kender Cleric/Rogue (CG) (was initially Nightstalker)
    Elf Fighter (CG) (wants to be Dragonrider)
    Half-Ogre Barbarian (N)

After another friend described this game as the "best AND worst" group he had ever seen, I thought I would write about it. I've taken the characters through Key of Destiny and the Anvil of Time (as a side quest and for RP/character purposes). The plan is to run them through all 3 modules.

The initial session had the party meet outside Pashin. The half-ogre left Silvanesti after mistreatment from the "real" Ogres, and grabbed a large tree branch for a club (named Bob) along the way. He met the other party members a day's walk from Pashin.

I decided to play their alignments as "currently flexible" given their lack of issues upon meeting, except for the Half-Ogre eating all of the rations provided to them by the gods. A note was left telling the party that the gods required heroes for a great quest, but as they just returned and were too busy to find qualified adventurers, this party would have to make do....

With that, the party headed off to Pashin.

The party reaches Pashin just before sunset. They retire to one of the inns and get involved in a bar brawl. The Half-Ogre almost kills the entire bar. After sleeping the night away (and being forced to pay for the damage the next morning), the party inquires where to find "work" and is told of the mercenary camp. The group heads out to the camp.

The kender successfully scouts the camp and the kender/party lures one of the watching scouts into a trap where he is knocked out. The second watchman is dealt with, but he manages to blow his horn. The half-ogre simply charges into the camp, forcing the rest of the party to react. (*This will be a recurring theme until dealt with).

The mage casts Ghost Sound which successfully fools some of the mercs, or the Ogre would have died. As is, after some fierce combat, he is only KO'd and rescued. The party gains the camp's weapons and supplies, plus the key. They return to town and go to the bazzar to spend their gains. While there they learn of their quest destiny and that the music box is special...

Back in town, the party successfully saves they kender child, the legion "rebel" and is introduced to the legion of steel through Klaudia. The party also manages to knock out (and not kill) the drunken ogre. However, in meeting Dove, the half-ogre takes liberties with the lady and is confronted by the goons. Charged 25 steel for the privilege, the mage back talks the thugs, causing a ruckus until a dark night patrol shows up. The party now pays 60 stl and the half-ogre goes without Dove's companionship...or info....

The party rests while the elf leaves during the night to try to contact the elven resistance by playing the music box....(hoping to stumble upon them I guess)...but no encounter is rolled and the elf gets away with stupidity..although no contact with the resistance is made.

The party reaches level 2, a minor success. The party retires for the night. Because he wants his "fancy robes", the mage demands to be tested (even though there is no tower and his level is too low). However, Nuitari comes to him in his dreams and begins his "test". [Also because the mage showed up 2 hrs early for the next session and I had time to kill].

Party Status -
    Mage (LE) and demanding of power
    Ogre N(E) and very Handsy. Also Charges w/o thought.
    Elf - Never split the party ! (*It will happen again)
    C/R - Actually did well under the circumstances
    S - Hasn't done anything stupid...yet...

While dreaming, Nuitari comes to the mage and slyly asks why the mage is deemed worthy enough to take the test. After all, magic is a gift from the gods, not a right. The mage convinces Nuitari that he needs followers, and on every "epic" quest (of which Nuitari is certainly aware) there has always been a good/neutral mage. Now Nuitari can have his own "sword" of darkness...

Nuitari grants the mages request, and from a portal above another mage falls to the floor unconscious. Nuitari has the mage reach out and steal part of the life force of the unconscious mage, giving the mage sufficient power to take the "test".

The mage is transported back to magic school, and must complete the task of copying a spell into a spell book, which is accomplished easily. One by one the apprentices complete their tasks, with one apprentice remaining. She calls the mage over and ask for aid. The mage declines to help her "cheat" the test, but also declines to advise her how to access the magic with insults. (LE). The student/mage ultimately drops the charade and attacks, but the mage wins.

The mage later encounters a lich that demands the power stolen from the unconscious black robe. Our hero declines, at which the Nuzanta's face is transformed to that of an ugly ogre. The mage demands that the lich return the face to normal, but the lich is adamant that the ugly face will remain unless the magic is given to the lich. (Forcing the Nzunta to choose magic vs beauty, as the mage is very vain). The Mage responds with a lightning bolt to the lich and remains ugly.

The next challenge sees the mage encounter "Huma". The Dark Queen offers ultimate power if the mage simply sends a magic missile to the back of Huma, and the Queen will make sure it kills him. The mage declines. The Dark Queen orders the mage to comply and the mage fails a will save. "Magius" intervenes at the last minute, saving history and Huma rides past uninjured.

In return, Magius requires that the Mage agree to a quest (to return a holy artifact to one who is worthy -referring to the lance) and the mage agrees.

The mage returns to the main room where the gods of magic await. After "completing" the test the mage asks if the power stolen must be returned to the unconscious mage. As there was no obligation or requirement to return the power, Nuitari says the mage can keep it, but warns that all choices have consequences.

Solinari leaves disgusted. Lunitari is watchful but departs. Nuitari is pleased.

The mage keeps the power (making the mage the clear power of the group) and returns back in the inn with new "official" robes. The mage believes the test was over. Obviously it is not.

What the mage does not yet realize is that the power was stolen from the future...basically the mage's future self...which will have severe consequences later on.

I gotta' say, that's one of the best twists on a wizard's test I've ever read. It's a fantastic punishment (and lesson) for a character who is clearly overreaching.

Well done!
    Head Moderator &
    Member of the Whitestone Council

"Hey look! I'm the Code of Conduct! Check me out!" -The Code of Conduct

Quote Originally Posted by Tauren_Kai-Jere View Post
    I gotta' say, that's one of the best twists on a wizard's test I've ever read. It's a fantastic punishment (and lesson) for a character who is clearly overreaching.

Well done!
    Thanks. There's a twist coming which modifies my view on just how evil this mage is...and it takes the story in an interesting direction.

The morning brings the group out of bed for a late breakfast. They were not interested in gathering any information at the inn, so I started the exploding crone encounter to move things along....

Obviously the ogre wanted to fight, but was out voted. However, after following the rest of the party for a few streets, they went left and the ogre and elf fighter went right. The rest of the party escapes as I rule the dark knights went to surround the barb/fighter. They run down a blocked alley, and when they turn around, are met with 6 dark knights. The ogre charges.....Giving one last chance, I rule that they overcome the 6 knights after a hard fight, but 12 more have arrived on scene. The ogre says he charges again, so I slay him. The elf, finally getting the picture surrenders. The elf has the music box in his possession.

The remaining party members, who have climbed atop a nearby roof, watch the elf taken into custody along with the body of the dead half ogre. The allegedly good cleric/rogue wants to flee the city, without friends or music box. The group eventually decides to return to the inn, where a dark knight happens to be in case the party returns. 20 minutes later the inn is surrounded by dark knights. The party, unable to leave, heads out the window to the roof of the inn, ignoring calls by the dark knights to surrender.

The dark knights, feeling death is just as preferable to surrender, set the inn on fire (and ultimately blame the party). My party of supposedly "good" characters, unknown to me, had planned on threatening/setting the inn on fire once the dark knights got to the roof....(sigh)...The draconian takes the kender cleric and glides off the roof. The knights simply watch his slow decent...and are there to pick them up once they land. The mage becomes gaseous and heads off the roof and over to Omar's Oddities...despite being warned by Klaudia never to bring the dark knights on to her trail. The mage asks Klaudia for sanctuary....so she agrees and leads the mage to the back room...where several dark knights await. The mage surrenders and Klaudia "proves" her loyalty.

The party thus comes back together in the dark knight jail. They are given a last meal and told they will be hanged in the morning. Lucky for them, the drunk Ogre they encountered is here, and is strong enough to break their chains. They also encounter an elf sent by Shaylinn to lead them to the sewers. They manage to regain their equipment and reach the sewer entrance without further difficulty. The Ogre, who has carried the half-ogre's body, dumps it down the sewer entrance and takes off. The rest of the party goes below.

They eventually encounter the "leper" colony of elves. No one, especially the elf, takes any precautions. He is therefore given "advanced sunblight" as his reward.*

The elf asks if Shaylinn can resurrect the Half-Ogre. She tells the party what they already know, that only one Cleric ever had that much power, and he caused the Cataclysm. Nevertheless, she will attempt to commune with the gods. At this point, I decided on a little test. Shaylinn returned with two conditions. The first was the party had to completely clear out the sewers, as the elves feared "something" down there. The party agreed.

The second condition was that "someone" in the party had to sacrifice some of their power....and I look at the LE mage. The mage...agrees ! (In "reality", Shaylinn was blocked from contact by Chemosh, who decided to have a bit of fun and allowed the half-ogre back to life). This starts a slow but steady "double turn" where the Mage turns LN and the Ogre turns CE.) **

Allowed back his life, the Half-Ogre is a changed Ogre [in more ways than one ]. The party cleans out the sewers, stays another day with the elves, then heads out into the secret passage. Finally, the party has escaped Pashin. They head out towards the burning lands and to Hurim.

If they only knew "what horrors" awaited them there....

Party Status -
    Mage (LE?) - gave up power for the return of the ogre
    Ogre N(E) - twiceborn. No longer Charges w/o thought.
    Elf - Never split the party ! (*x2) (also has sunblight)
    C/R - The good Cleric who wants to flee
    S - Hasn't done anything stupid...yet...

* The time to this event was approximately 1 and 1/2 hours, in which the ogre had his dead body carried around. He had initially started to re-roll a character, to which I said "no", and that dead was dead in this universe. From this point on, the half-ogre got the "dont be a dink" message.

** This event is also "altered" by Chemosh once the party reaches the Anvil of Time. (coming "soon" to a recap thread near you...)
    Last edited by squirecam; 11-12-2015 at 05:39 PM.

The characters head off into the desert. Overhead, they spot the forms of two Giant Eagles. Given the party has a Bozak (but not Bazz) Draconian, the Eagles are unfriendly and ready to attack. But they negotiate with the party and they agree to rescue the eggs. After a 2 day search, they find the Bazz Draconians and rescue the eggs. Yay for good characters !

The party has a run-in with the Mikku tribe. They are unwilling to share much information, but are willing to partake of the hospitality offered. Despite the ritual bond of salt, the characters are wary, moreso when the half-ogre attempts to charm/bed a local Mikku girl (with disasterous results). The party does prevent the half-ogre from seeking another friend/victim.

The party is visited by the spirit Uleena, and are savaged by the air elementals (luckily it was only a 3 round fight). When the Mikku arrive, the party is reluctant to tell them anything that occurred. Finally the draconian tells the truth, and the party is guided to Hurim.

The party deals with the starving mountain lions, and heads towards the guardians tower. The Cleric/Rogue fails to check for traps, (a repeating trend) causing more party damage than was otherwise necessary. The party also meets Shroud, but fails to engage him properly and although he camps with them, he leaves them during the night. In the original history, it was due to boredom.* The party clears the tower ruins and camps for the night.

In the morning, the elf is struck by acute advanced sunblight and is blinded for 5 rounds. The Cleric does not bother to attempt a cure. Nor do they much care when the elf's vision returns.**

Party Status -
    Ogre N(E) - twiceborn. Also twice-rapey as the party calls it.
    Elf - Has Acute sunblight. Still likes to go out alone.....
    C/R - Cure disease anyone? No? How about finding a trap or 2...
    S - Did skillfully negotiate with the Eagles to save their chicks

*That crazy Anvil of time again.

** From now on, bright light, light spells, or unleashing the shard of light will cause the Elf blindness. No character bothers to warn the elf when casting a light spell or unsheathing the sword.
    Last edited by squirecam; 11-12-2015 at 08:08 PM.

The party enters the temple. As they progress, I read them all of the background events, paying particular attention to how the clerics properly call upon their gods. (Throughout this adventure, the Cleric doesn't RP any of his heals or holy powers, and in fact never attempts to commune with his god at all).

The party reaches the mimic (pretending to be a door). The party notices that the door is "off" and the mage (LE) begins negotiating with it. When the mimic states that no one can enter without its master's approval, the mage gets the name Anasana as the master. Before asking where she can be found, the sorc draconian (NG) tells the half-ogre to attack the door. The door fights to the death to protect the room, nearly smothering the half-ogre. Were it not for the heals by the cleric, he would certainly have died.

While the ogre-door fiasco is ongoing, the (also allegedly good) elf fighter ignores the fight and simply enters the room to loot it. The spiders within present no challenge, and he dispenses with them about the same time as the door is defeated. The cleric at least heals the mimic to prevent its death. Anasana's items are looted by the party.

The Ochre jelly and Gelatinous Cube nearly kill the party. It is only after they grab handfuls of the powder that they turn the tide. [The Ogre attacked with a slashing weapon, splitting the cube and doubling the danger.]

The cleric wants to kill/banish the Ghost of the Young Priest, but I allow the draconian to "administer" a cure disease potion to the ghost to save it and get these "good" characters on the right path. The cleric has also either failed to notice traps or failed to disarm them, such that the party uses the ogre as a HP shield to open doors. [The ogre takes a symbol of pain to the face.] In other instances, a party member simply opens a chest without even attempting a search, resulting in the mage sneezing and choking on a trap.

The party gets to Anasana, who is at first friendly. While the party begins talking to her, the elf fighter mentions her "door" and the entrance to her room....Anasana becomes incensed, demanding her items back, and the party complies. She quickly leaves the library, leaving them without healing or information, and the party is heavily upset at the elf and his various other stupid actions (i.e. going off alone).

After several hints, the cleric and party are able to bypass the guardians by showing his holy symbol, though no RP attempt was made. The party investigates the three shrines. No one but the mage enters the shrine of night.

Inside, the mage is made the arm of the Dark Queen's vengeance, and he takes the ring of protection from the ogre. Immediately after leaving the shrine, he is accosted by the other party members, demanding to know what happened and what he got inside. The (good) party forcefully takes the ring from the mage after the bluff attempt is discovered by the only party member not fooled....none other than the half-ogre. The mage has not done anything remotely "evil" all this time, and the party has (out of character for them) suddenly turned on the mage without warning.

When they encounter the blade of betrayal, the cleric attempts to attack the mage who picked it up and was struggling for dominance with the sentient dagger. The cleric actually attacks the mage and stabs him in the back, forcing the mage to drop it. The half-ogre picks it up, then drops it after losing a level. The mage quickly regains it and flees to the shrine of night. The draconian refuses to get involved, instead searching for a secret passage. The sorc is told he has found nothing, (i.e. get involved dude) and reluctantly trots after the party.

The mage will not leave the shrine of night and the party will not let the mage keep the blade. We have a standoff. The party eventually decides to meet in the neutral shrine (where they know no attacks can occur) and reach a settlement. This is mostly for the protection of the generally loyal LE mage....
    Last edited by squirecam; 11-13-2015 at 03:03 PM.

The negotiations take place in the sanctuary shrine to the neutral gods. The cleric insists that the mage cannot keep the blade of betrayal as it is an evil object. The mage counters that the only "evil" act was the cleric stabbing him in the back.

The adventurers eventually swear an oath that no party member can, for the quest duration, attack another party member. The gods of neutrality bless this endeavor, and the party can get going again...

The party has significant trouble on the last part of the temple. They continue to enter the cloud of confusion, but end up back where they started. They try everything BUT prayer to successfully defeat the trap. Finally, everyone else but the cleric gets it, and the cleric tries half-heartedly to pray, which is ignored by his god given the lousy attempt. After over an hour of time at this trap the sorc begin scripting what the cleric should say... finally allowing passage. The bearded devil is dispatched and the party has the shard of light, which goes to the draconian rather than the cleric.

The party makes their way out of the temple, and find the Mikku tribe. The Mikku agree to send a scout with them to Ak-Kurman, as they wish to check on the city. The party lets the elf stay in his armor (absent from this point forward) and the elf gets acute heatstroke as well as sunblight. Some care is taken to prevent the elf's demise, but he remains stricken throughout the journey.

Better aided are the lost elven family, and the party successfully deals with an Allip and even manage to become "friends of the fire". The party must rest one more night before entering Ak-Kurman, and getting more involved with the Legion of steel....

Party Status -
    Ogre N(E) - twiceborn. Also twice-rapey as the party calls it.
    Elf - Has Acute sunblight. Also heatstroke. No one cares.
    C/R - Cant pray. Cant find traps.
    S - Getting better at the Leader role---when forced to.

The party reaches the gates of Ak-Khurman in the morning. They negotiate with the Legion of Steel guards for entry into the city, and part ways with the elves they rescued. After several minutes, the legion is shown the starjewel and they allow access.

The Legion informs the party they know who they are (you don't often see an elf, draconian and half-ogre together). The Dark Knights have branded them criminals "The Scourge of Pashin" for burning/destroying the inn (which the knights did themselves), escaping from prison, and for general mischief. The Legion figures these are false/trumped up charges and dont care. They are told a Lt from the Legion will meet them at the INN and will pay for their lodging for the night. The elf is escorted straight to the inn to avoid infecting others with sunblight. The mage is compelled to head to the mage shop to continue his test. The sorc and half-ogre follow, but only the sorc can enter. The sorc arrives as the mage is tossed through a portal.

The mage lands nearly unconscious...and has his life force drained by his younger self. The mage (and sorc through the portal) watch as the younger mage "completes" the test, keeps the drained power, and leaves. As a consequence, the Mage loses the (Nzunta) Irda ability of extra power/spells, plus must concentrate to use the innate Irda sorc abilities.

Nuitari is unhappy with mage. Not necessarily for not doing "evil", but for making deals. Not only to discover and find a worthy wielder of the dragonlance, but the oath not to attack the other party members. Most of all, Nuitari is upset that the mage is now the arm of the Dark Queen's vengeance (from Hurim) rather than being "his arm". The Mage swears loyalty. Nuitari then asks if the mage will follow his commands to the letter. The mage of course says yes....and the draconan sorc falls through the portal. Nuitari tells the mage to kill the draconian.

The battle is fierce, but the mage loses. The Draconian has to many HP for the mage to win. But the battle was not real (as the sorc watched from the other side of the portal). It was to teach the mage to always be prepared to kill (Nuitari) to acknowledge/respect his limitations (Solinari) and that he might not be as evil as he thinks or wants to be (Lunitari).

The mage had more "party" spells memorized than attack spells left (although I would have allowed an attack with the blade as a last resort once the mage was out of spells). This led to his loss. Nuitari tells him to always prepare for the worst. The mage gains a magic item (a tear drop necklace) which he has no idea how to use. Meanwhile, the sorc declines to take the test, offering instead, once the quest is finished, to regulate sorcery as Palin once did through an academy. The Sorc is allowed to live given this promise.

The party meets back at the inn, where the Lt has given the party a message for a spy in Port Balifor. They will need to get there on their own. The party heads to the docks.

Three ships are in port. The first is the Winnow, captained by a mighty sailor man, a skipper brave and sure. His right hand man (or Bull) is Bulligan the Minotaur. The skipper says that he does not sail to Port Balifor, usually just taking passengers on a 3 hour tour, but agrees to take them to Port Balifor for the rate of (3) Three hour tours...the party says they will return after checking other options.

The second boat, the TIE-antic, is a large luxury ship with twin ionic engines, a supersonic mode, and all the food and drink one could stomach with a luxury cabin purchase. The TIE-antic is headed for Icewall on an arctic cruise, but must stop at Port Balifor first. The Draconian gets the gnome to admit that this is the maiden voyage of the ship, but the gnome insists she is sea worthy. The mage accepts the 200 stl price, and sails for Port Balifor in safety and in luxury.

The remaining party chooses the third vessel, the red arrow, despite the Kender arguing that the Winnow was a better, cheaper, and more adventurous choice. (Now we are getting somewhere cleric!!). The ship leaves at night, in order to reach Port Balifor in the late afternoon. Had the party looked across the ocean, they would have seen that the weather was starting to get a little rough....

Party Status -
    Mage LE(N) - enjoying a life of luxury.
    Ogre N(E) - Still twiceborn. Still twice-rapey.
    Elf - Absent, so he had to pay for the Red Arrow passage.
    C/R - Cant pray. Cant find traps. But is starting to appreciate being a good kender
    S - The negotiator. Almost as good as Shatner.
    Last edited by squirecam; 11-16-2015 at 06:15 PM.