Page 2 of 71 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: RotR Chapter Three: The Hook Mountain Massacre

Victaria's took a moment to stare at the woman's pendant, wondering if she knew what the black arrow symbolized.

When she was called out her face blushed as she thought of the fact that most of the inns she had known from her childhood here were grungy, disgusting, and in a far worse part of town. She was going to decline the offer to lead when she felt all the eyes on her and knew she had to take them somewhere. She quickly searched her memory and found an inn that Marin had often talked about visiting with his father. Making her decision, she set off and led the others through the well manicured streets into one of the nicest parts of town.

They walked through the Capital distinct, the political heart of the city. Magnificent ruins and pristine imposing buildings made a clear impression of the power and wealth of Magnimar, or at least this section of it. Finally they came upon a sprawling inn just adjacent to the cities Council of Ushers. A beautiful sign hanging over the wide double doors read: "The Gilded Lily". The front lawn was filled with lilies either painted in gold leaf, or, she suspected, simply magiced to appear that way.

Victaria remembered Marin telling her how all the important political dignitaries stayed here and that many backroom deals that decided the fates of thousands were made within its walls. He had bragged of the exquisite meals and how they had a chef of every single species to make any delicacy one could think of. Her eyes had lit up when he spoke and she had asked if she could go with him sometime. He had laughed at first, then smiled sadly at her and she knew she never would. Now she was here on her own, a recognized knight of Magnimar no less. Still, a large part of her still felt like the street urchin she used to be.

Steeling her nerve, Victaria walked towards the door, half expecting the immaculately uniformed guard/doorman to turn her away.

OOC:
    Knowlege (history) on the black arrow:(16)+14=30

Characters:
    -Loren Soth (LG Male Human Fighter 7/Paladin 3; Dragons on the River of Time)
    -Kadrien Soth (Zabrak Soldier 5/Jedi 2; Star Wars-Dawn of Defiance)
    -Victaria Grey (NG Female Cleric of Irori 5; Rise of the Runelords)

Victaria led them down the street and around the corner. She had time to think along the way. The Black Arrows were a company of Rangers sponsored by Magnimar. They were stationed in the shadow of Hook Mountain to the west. The Black Arrows were given a ruined castle to refurbish and operate out of.

Victaria led the way in all her finery, and the lot of them walked right into the Gilded Lilly. The wooden floors had been polished to a fine shine. The walls were painted red. A long bar ran the length of the entire room. A table was had. Drinks were poured, and food was ordered. Stuffing her face with bread and butter, Shalelu continued, between bites. "I know a few of the older Rangers. I haven't been in the castle for twenty-five years, but I keep in touch. I haven't received word from the Black Arrows in over a month. I'm worried."
    Dragonlanceforums.com Moderater - To be one, ask one!

Do you love the Dragonlace Forums? Do they provide you with hours of entertainment? Why not donate? Keep the hamsters running. Ask me how!

Aiduin was surprised as anyone to see the one-time protector of Sandpoint there. His family being a few of the only persons of elven blood in Sandpoint meant they had more in common with Shalelu than most, even though she didn’t stay at their inn. As a young man, he would day dream of the elven huntress but those days seemed a long time ago now.

He followed silently to the tavern, trying to comprehend what the events of the past days meant. Everything seemed so random, why would a half-snake creature want to live in the middle of a city and go about murdering people? It just didn’t make sense to him. Then again, he left the making sense of things to his sister. He would think more about it later after he decided what to do with his new found wealth and after they learned of Shalelu’s concerns.

He had been kicking around some ideas about his gold in his head and wanted to speak to Jack about them. The old man seemed to know what he was doing in about every area.
    "It's not a game of Final Fantasy where you can step outside the plot for a bit and train up your stats, it's a potentially apocalyptic final chapter in an epic drama." - Brass Tiger Captain

For the first time in several years, Jack Merriman was content. Still in his finery, he'd swapped his leathers for something a bit less conspicuous for his title, namely a fine ringed shirt made of mithral. It glinted in the soft sunlight. Though he loved the sellsword look, it was time to start acting his age a bit. Earlier that day he'd inspected his old home. Surprisingly no other noble had purchased the property from auction. With Jack's poor luck in finances, others probably thought it cursed. He'd have to hire on servants to get it up to speed, but it was still in decent shape. With the writ on its way to Sandpoint to Jimmy's capable hands, Sir Jonathan Merriman felt well to do again.

And yet...he knew there was no going fully back to the old ways. The gentleman still craved adventure. Though his debts settled and good name restored, there was still much to do and more fortune to amass. Perhaps a few more months on the road would settle him down a bit more, and amass enough cash to truly go into retirement.

And thus, Jack stayed silent with the return of the elf woman. He remembered her, but hadn't much dealings in Sandpoint other than listening to her account while she convalesced in the town. Jack shrugged and simply followed along, thinking of the next job.

When they sat, he ordered whiskey and listened to Shelelu, only speaking when he offered a few questions.

"And which castle is that, my dear," Jack asked. "Not hearing from a mercenary company is nothing new. Why so worried?"

OOC: Knowledge Local: 1D20(12) + 11 = 23 to know about them.
    Last edited by rogue; 09-01-2015 at 07:37 AM.
    -Dragonlance Nexus Social Media Manager-
    GM - ICRP: Star Wars - Dawn of Defiance

"It was renamed Fort Rannick," Jack had heard that name before. Frequently, while he lived in Magnimar, he'd either hear of or see a Black Arrow, begging for supplies and additional men off the rich. Nobles with interests to the west would donate the most, and occasionally the gaols were emptied of 'volunteers'. "And it unusual for them. I have received correspondence from the Black Arrows of Fort Rannick a minimum of once a month for twenty-five years. Now there's no word. Something's happened."
    Last edited by SuperBall; 09-01-2015 at 04:34 PM.

Do you love the Dragonlace Forums? Do they provide you with hours of entertainment? Why not donate? Keep the hamsters running. Ask me how!

Gus hunkered down into his drink – a strong, hoppy Chelaxian brew – while Jack chatted up Shalelu. He very much wanted to help. The young man liked the elven archer more than he probably wanted to admit, but he also had responsibilities to Sandpoint. Sheriff Hemlock still didn't know of their success here.

“How far's the fort from here?” Gus asked, as he smacked some foam from his lips.
    Head Moderator &
    Member of the Whitestone Council

"Hey look! I'm the Code of Conduct! Check me out!" -The Code of Conduct

"It's a two-week journey afoot. Half the time by horse, or on the river. I'd like to get there as soon as I can. That's where you come in. I thought maybe if the reason for the holiday asked, someone might be willing to sell me a horse, or allow me passage. I can only assume that the ogres have stirred up trouble again. At the very least, my friends are dead. At most something terrible has befallen the Order. I'm a Black Arrow, too. It's my duty to respond, even if it means I take on Hook Mountain alone."

"Oh nonsense," Jack said easily. "I'll sign on, but I keep what I kill. I've a retirement to plan, and a mansion to build. Anyone else game?"
    -Dragonlance Nexus Social Media Manager-
    GM - ICRP: Star Wars - Dawn of Defiance

"Only if the sheriff can spare us," Gus replied. "I don't intend to throw away my badge just yet."
    Head Moderator &
    Member of the Whitestone Council

"Hey look! I'm the Code of Conduct! Check me out!" -The Code of Conduct

"I don't have time to wait for Hemlock's permission. Just find me a horse, or a river boat. I'm going, with or without you."