Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Drawn to an Inside Straight

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    631

    Default Drawn to an Inside Straight

    Its actually Drawn to an Inside Strait, but I can't edit the thread title.

    About a year ago when 5E was first issued as a free version, I decided to run a play by email game. It was going to be just one player, but then I added a second. I'm having a lot of fun and have learned a lot.

    This campaign is a DL version of the old TV show Maverick. Maverick was a traveling gambler who solved problems in each town he went into. In the show he always referenced something his pappy said, one of the phrases was, "Never hold a kicker and don't draw to and inside straight." So I had my PC roll up a Human Wizard from Solamnia who gambles to pay his bills. The game is going to be centered around western Solamnia and Northern Ergoth, so there would be a lot of travel over the straits.

    Later a dwarven fighter who is also a gambler joined him.

    Each player has a financial goal to obtain. Fasmuss (the wizard) needs to buy access to the library in Palanthas to find out about an amulet he wears.

    Tukson (the dwarven fighter) needs to purchase a wagon to replace one he lost in a night of drunken gambling.
    Last edited by ITA_CRX; 06-26-2015 at 06:29 AM. Reason: Thread Title and Additional Info

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    631

    Default

    Gambling in a local tavern in southern Solamnia you figured out that the cards were marked. Knowing this you started hiding your hole card in five card stud. This aided you in winning several steel from the house. In a particularly lucrative hand you cast a minor illusion on your hole card to trick the house dealer into a rather large bet. The look on his face was priceless when you turned over your hole card to reveal your third King, beating his two pair. Unfortunately the tavern owner’s face was one of furious rage. The last thing you remember was the taverns hired goons pummeling you while the owner laughed.

    You woke up on a dock in the harbor of a city you don’t recognize. You feel as if an ogre has punched you (You have 1 HP). It appears your only possession is your spellbook and the five steel pieces you hide inside your jacket lining. At least you won’t starve.

    You did have some luck; you appear to now be in possession of a rather nice knife. Unfortunately it is currently pinning your hand to the dock.

    Looking around you see its night. Solinari has risen lighting the harbor. Looking at the boats (Intelligence Investigation succeeded vs DC 5) you realize they are all small fishing boats. The dock is also short. This must be a small village you were unceremoniously dropped off at. The smell of fish and salty air fills your nostrils. You can hear the sounds of the waves crashing against the shore and a small tavern nearby.

    Solinari is currently waning, so you have been unconscious for several days. You have no idea where on Krynn you could be.

    Errata: Carrying capacity needs in this adventure will be low. Strength of 10 would be more than sufficient for all treasure.

    Traveling by sea will be common, Dexterity above 10 is recommended.
    Gambling is going to be a central aspect of the campaign, so Charisma shouldn’t be a dump stat either.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    631

    Default

    Updates: You were found on the road between Harrying and Rening in Southland. You were traveling towards Port O' Call when you were assaulted.

    Have Erasmus be a traveling illusionist, which is why you have a vagabond lifestyle and learned to gamble. For your background you earn 25 xp for roleplaying.

    Errata: Dump Minor Illusion and replace it with Light. So your cantrips will be Light, Prestidigitation and Ray of Frost. As a bonus, Erasmus gave you a scroll to scribe into your spellbook. He called it Erasmsus' Razzle Dazzle, but somehow you scribed it as Silent Image. So, this is a bonus first level spell for you. Also, since Minor Illusion can make a sound if could be useful if you ever want to distract a guard. Perhaps something to consider, however this is neither a hint nor foreshadowing, just general info.

    The story....

    As you prepare to pull the dagger out of your left hand you hold your breath. Pulling the dagger free you gasp and exhale. You can clearly see your breath and a chill runs through you as you shudder from the cold. The dagger feels odd to you and you tuck it into your belt. A quick glance around the dock reveals nothing as you stand up. The cold, your hunger and exhaustion has you quickly abandon your effort to patch up your hand and search for spell components. You wearily head to the tavern feeling some comfort from the pull of your pendant on your neck.

    As you enter the tavern all of the conversations stop and everyone stares at you. You surmise you are now in Ergoth as you are the only white person in the tavern. You glance around the tavern and stumble towards the bar. The tavern owner greets you and calls for his wife to clean your wound. You order a meal. The tavern owner's wife brings you a pitcher of water and starts cleaning your wound and bandaging your hand. The tavern owner returns with a bowl of stew and as you eat you inquire about a room for the night. You finish the pitcher of water and request more. After you drink the second pitcher and finish your stew you pay a steel and are shown to your room. As you drift off to sleep you think back to how you ended up here. The village you were in was just a tavern, dock and warehouse. The realization occurs to you that it was probably a smuggling port for pirates and not an actual village. In the future you will endeavor to only enter new villages during daylight hours.

    A sound awakes you in the morning. You sense someone is near you. As you slowly open your eyes you hear a door close. You are a little stiff but well rested, restore all lost hit points. The room is lit by a small window. Since no direct sunlight is entering the window, you realize it is facing north. It looks like a sunny day.

    As you look around you see that your room is actually a store room and you had slept on sacks of flower. Someone had covered you with a warm blanket during the night. You check your equipment. You are wearing your socks, boots, pants, belt, shirt and jacket. Your pendant is still around your neck. Your backpack with your spellbook is lying on the floor along with your new dagger. You have a piece of fleece in your pants pocket and 4 steel pieces hidden in your jacket. Evidently you paid a steel piece for a bowl of stew and to sleep in the storeroom. Hopefully this is an oversight and the tavern owner isn't a dishonest prick.

    You casually search the storeroom, but find it is just a storeroom loaded with hops, grains, wheat and the other necessities to run a tavern. After having been beaten up and unconscious for some time you no longer have any spells prepared. You contemplate studying your spellbook, but your parched mouth and grumbling stomach would prevent you from concentrating. After folding the blanket and placing it on the flour sacks, you gather up your meager belongings and head south out the door.
    You are at the end of a hall. There is a door on either side of the hall and the end of the hall opens into the tavern. You can see the back of the bar. Judging by the smell, the kitchen is to your right and you guess that the living quarters of the tavern keeper is through the other door. You decide to head to the tavern since you hear someone cleaning.

    Once you get to the end of the hall you see that the tavern is small and almost a square shape. There is a small bar and two tables. The main entrance of the tavern is on the east side of the room. The bar is in the shape of an L with the opening being away from the door. A large fireplace is now dormant on the south side of the room situated in the middle of the wall between the tables. You see the tavern owner is medium height and build and looks to be around 50. He is dark skinned with a shaven head, brown eyes and a goatee. He is wearing the clothes of a commoner in what you guess is the Ergothian style. The tavern owner hears your approach and greets you with a warm smile and a deep booming voice, "Good morning. You look much better today. You were in rough shape last night. I am afraid we didn't do any formal introductions. I am Kerrick Al-mari. Please, sit down and I will have my wife bring you some breakfast." Kerrick calls for Danira. She comes out of the kitchen and upon seeing you says, "Good morning" then ducks back into the kitchen to prepare breakfast. Danira is dark skinned, short and wearing a simple dress. She is starting to show her age, but still has a nice rack and rather large ass. She has curly hair that is cut short giving her the appearance of being older than she is, but you still guess her to be in her mid to late 40s. Kerrick motions for you two sit at the western table as he sits down to join you.

    As you sit down Kerrick asks how you arrived in the village. You introduce yourself and respond, “Well, before we get into that, I was wondering, did I spend a steel piece for a bowl of stew and to sleep in your storeroom?” Kerrick smiles and gives a hearty laugh. He says, “Yes and no. We do not get many steel pieces so I was surprised to see it. Everyone here deals in copper with an occasional silver. You were in such need that negotiation was out of the question, but I don’t intend to be so dishonest as to hold you to that. I am guessing you will need a day or two to recover so your room and board will be taken care of for the next few days.” You find this deal to be acceptable and discuss how you arrived in the village. When you finish you ask, “Where is here?” Kerrick informs you that you are in a fishing village on the northeast coast of Southern Ergoth. He also lets you know that today is Shinarai, Rannmonth 13, 341 AC (Friday, February 13). “You must have been very tired, you have slept past Fourth Watch,” he finishes. Your last memory is of Deepkolt 9 (February 9), so your journey here was 3 days.

    Danira has now returned with coffee, bacon, eggs and a pitcher of water. She gives you a hearty portion of each and the three of you dine together. During breakfast you discuss the village. It is a small fishing community with a few farms. It is so small that no one has bothered to give it a name. The brewery for the tavern was moved outside of town close to the fresh water supply after a fire several years ago. Kerrick has his two sons out there taking care of it now. Outside of that, a general store and a few houses make up the entire village. The only source of income for the villages is when a ship occasionally visits the harbor for repairs or fresh water. Kerrick says, “The general store is the next building south of the tavern if you are interested in buying some supplies.” You finish your breakfast and have drank the entire pitcher of water. You note that you feel more thirsty than normal. (For the next 10 days your water consumption is doubled to replace your lost blood.)

    You inquire about when the next ship would arrive. but Kerrick
    responds, “Unfortunately, we don’t know. Ships only stop by when they have a problem. It could be tomorrow, it may not be until Argon (July). If you are looking to leave the village, you will have to walk. There are no horses in the village. Serval is the closest village two days travel to the south. There you could get better supplies. Passage on a ship would require you to go to Eastport. I would avoid heading west. Although the Solamnic outpost is there, the journey is long and the lands in between are filled with ogres.”

    You thank Danira for breakfast. Seeing as your only way out of town involves a long walk, you head over to the general store to see what supplies are available and what you need. You leave the tavern and see the bay and village. It is indeed small. The bay has one short dock and the village is about 8 houses built in a semi-circle around the tavern and general store. The beach has plenty of sand to use as a spell component, but you realize you have no place to store it so you head over to the general store to inquire about supplies. Glancing to the west you see dark clouds forming. The morning air is still and has a chill.

    The general store is indeed just south of the tavern. It is a small rectangular shaped building. You enter and quickly discover that most of the building is a warehouse. The storefront is only about 5 feet wide then a counter which the proprietor is sitting behind. You enter and close the door behind you. You feel the heat from the fire coming from your right. Glancing around you see a two barrels connected by a pipe. One barrel is black, the other is white. Sitting behind the counter is a dark skinned Ergothian. He is heavy set and half asleep, you guess he is close to 40. He is clean shaven with his hair pulled back into a pony tail. “Greetings, I am Terjon El-ami,” says the owner smiling brightly with a soft voice, “Are you looking for anything specific?” You inform Terjon that you need enough supplies to get to Serval. He believes you will need a waterskin (2 sp), cloak (20 sp), bedroll (10 sp), rations for 3 days (15 sp) and an axe (50 sp) to collect firewood. Since it is still Deepkolt, a fire is required to ensure you don’t freeze to death. A tinderbox would also be valuable, but he does not currently have any. You also inquire about a sheath for your new dagger and a pouch to carry coins. “Ah, he says, I can sell you a sheath for 1 sp and a pouch for 5 sp.” You quickly tally it up and realize you need 103 sp. “Do you have any component pouches?” you ask. Terjon thinks for a second then responds, “I am not sure. I may have bought a couple years ago, but I will have to check. A component pouch is normally expensive, but seeing as I’ve never sold one, if I have one I will sell it to you for cost, about 5 steel.” You thank Terjon and are about to leave to contemplate where you can get another 123 sp.

    As you turn, the black and white barrels catch your eye. You ask Terjon about them. Terjon frowns and curses, “Damn Gnome. I am getting older and it’s a pain to travel the mile to get barrels of fresh water. Occasionally ships come in and most of this village’s trade is selling water to them. It is my job to make the barrels and get the water. I was discussing this with a gnome who sold me this invention claiming I could put salt water in one and get fresh water out of the other. Unfortunately for me he went into Gnome Speak as he said the instructions then ran off to catch his ship. I don’t think I’ve ever gotten more than a cup of water from this device. It would be damn useful for me if I could figure out how it is supposed to work.” Looking at Terjon you feel the mile walk to get water is probably exercise he needs, but you understand why the de-salinizer would be valuable to him.

    What would you like to do?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    631

    Default

    Errata:
    Fasmuss doesn't know his birthday, but we need to for age related reasons. You know, hearing gets better with age. So, Reapember 14 will be his actual birthday. You can choose if you want to pick a day to celebrate.

    You lived with Erasmus in Spar on the western edge of the Garnet Mountains. He chose to live here for the access to dwarven mushrooms and it was only a days walk to Brakens swamp for rare herbs.

    You do have the recipe for Erasmus' Rootin' Tootin' Root Beer, but remember, the company that created it did go bankrupt afterwards.

    Question:
    Does the component pouch come with all the possible spell components in
    it?
    It comes empty. Components are a wizard secret and magic is currently feared on Krynn, so no merchant would have something prepared and stocked for a wizard. Also, the component pouch has a divider to store 4 components. If the pouch didn't have dividers you'd have salt, sand, sulphur and bat guano mixing in it and then the ingredients would not be pure and your spells would always fail.

    Or will I have to gather the components separately?

    You need to gather the components.

    Herbalism Kit
    The kit contains a pestle, mortar, clippers, tweezers, four vials with stoppers, a bottle of (cooking) oil (1 pint), pouches for 10 herbs and four petri dishes. The kit comes in a hard case and weighs 8 pounds. The kits dimensiosn are 12x6x4 inches, giving it a volume of 0.165 cubic feet, 1/6 of your backpack.

    Unfortunately, your notes on herbalism were destroyed or lost somewhere on your trip to Southern Ergoth, so you only know the recipe for ERTRB and a healing salve. The healing salve is made from extremely common herbs.

    The salve is placed on cuts and provides time relief healing.

    The ingredients (what the ingredients provide are in parenthesis) are alfalfa (prevents infection), ginseng (energy), arnica (aids with bruising), canar root (healing), belladonna (pain relief) and a quarter pint of oil. The ingredients are ground together, combined with the oil and then heated. After reaching a specific temperature the salve is poured into a petri dish to cool and then solidifies. The recipe creates enough salve to treat 36 inches of wounds.

    Tighter control on the ingredients and heat produces a more powerful salve, but is more difficult to make.

    The salve takes 60 minutes to work unless noted.

    The following DC checks result in a salve that has the associated properties
    DC5 d2 HPs
    DC10 d4 HPs
    DC15 d4 + Proficiency bonus HPs
    DC20 d4 + Proficiency bonus + Intelligence Modifier HPs
    DC25 Reduces time release to 30 minutes and d4 + PB + IM
    DC30 Reduces time release to 15 minutes and increases restoration to 2d4 + PB + IM

    For making the salve, you roll d20 and add your proficiency bonus to see if you succeed. For the DC15 and lower checks you have Advantage. If you can control the heat used in making the salve you can add your INT modifier to your DC check (You know, from using magic to heat it).

    Failing the DC check results in the destruction of all ingredients. The DC30 check also requires that all herbs have been harvested within the previous 24 hours.

    Logistics:
    Ok, I will actually use wordpad and a .rtf file for better formatting.

    Time:
    In order to keep the story moving and address oversights on my part and force you into specific plot hooks, your turn may not be linear in time. This was something you noted about discussing the pendant with Terjon. As such, this email will address your breakfast and a discussion of the pendant with Danira, your time in the general store and what happens after. You will need to address time in the general store and what happens after. So your turn will be addressing events at Fourth Watch, High Watch and Ninth Watch.

    Also, is your pendant worn outside of your jacket or is it hidden? If it is hidden, you do not have a conversation with Danira about it.

    Actions:
    Previously, while eating breakfast Danira inquires about your pendant. "That is an interesting pendant. Where did you get it?" You explain to Danira its origins and ask the Al-mari's if they have ever seen the design before. Danira thinks for a second before saying, "I do not believe I have ever seen anything like it. Most strangers that visit the tavern are sailers and only have a few rings, earings or tattoos." Kerrick nods his head saying, "Yes, I don't recall anything like it either. Typically if a traveler comes in the only thing I see is the color of their coin."

    At the general store:

    You inquire about an herbalism kit, at first Terjon stares at you blankly so you explain, "It has a pestle, mortar, vials and a petri dish." The confused look on Terjon's face becomes more confused. "Uh," you say, "it has a stick, bowl, some glass dishes and glass bottles." His eyes light up and he beams saying, "Yeah, I have that. Odd thing, what is it for?" You explain how the kit can be used and Terjon is satifised. Terjon informs you he will sell it to you for 10 sp.

    Looking at the barrels, once you know that it is supposed to be a de-salinizer you realize how it should work. Sea water goes into the black barrel and is heated by either the sun or another source, it evaporates and is condensed in the pipe where it falls into the white barrel.

    If I can figure it out, ask Terjon how much it would be worth to him if
    I could explain it to him.

    This is out of character for you. You personality trait is that you explain things to others. Prior to thinking to ask for something you explain to Terjon how the device is supposed to work (You earn 0 XP for roleplaying).

    Terjon gets the idea, but still is not sure. "I'd need to see it work to really understand it," he states. You could use Prestidigitation to cool the pipe and then cast it again to heat the sea water to demonstrate. Do you want to do this?

    "Say, you see a fair number of travelers come through here, right?

    Have you ever seen this symbol before?" and show him my pendant.

    (depending on his answer, we may need to roleplay additional dialog here, yup, non-linearity in your turns)

    Terjon responds, "No, I can't say that I have. Outside of the villagers I mostly see Captains or First Mates. They typically have earrings, rings, tattoos and a stupid hat." Terjon stares at the pendant for a second and asks, "Do you know what type of stone it is? Typically artisans will use stones that are common to their area when crafting. So, if you can identify the stone it may give you an idea of where it was made. Personally I wouldn't know, but any dwarf probably would."

    ...buy the items we discussed minus the component pouch.

    As a specific plot device I took all your money. You had 5 steel but spent one. Your remaining steel is the equivalent of 80 sp. Your needed items cost 103 sp. The component pouch is an additional 100 sp and the herb kit is 10 sp more. As such, you can't buy what you need and you have 251 reasons to not make a purchase now.
    You thank Terjon for his time and let him know you will be back later to make a purchase. Terjon responds, "Ok, that will give me time to search for the component pouch."

    If I need to collect sand as a spell component, do so, and either store
    it in the component pouch or coin pouch as necessary.

    You can't store sand in your coin pouch because its not a sealed bag, as you walk the sand would slowly leak out. Also, if it rains your coin pouch would get wet and so would the sand making it useless for spell casting. Storing components requires a component pouch.

    Feeling naked without any spells prepared (you earn 25 XP for roleplaying), return to the tavern and verify I will be staying in the storeroom as part of my room and board (Yes, the storeroom will be where you are staying).

    As you leave the general store you spot several sails out in the bay. You notice that the wind has picked up considerably. As you turn towards the tavern you see a bolt of lightning and hear the thunder. A storm is bearing down on the village and will be hear any minute. You hurry to the tavern to avoid being caught out in the storm.

    As you enter the tavern you see Kerrick leaning against the bar. Kerrick sees you and says, "I was wondering, do you have any idea why people who left you hear didn't kill you?"

    You stop at the bar and ponder his question before responding, "Not really. My only guess is that they are vindictive and wanted to do the most harm possible. Taking away the money I heard earned and dropping me off in a strange land has made my life very difficult. If they had left me in the area I could have just returned home. Being here I am on my own and will have to scrape by to survive." Kerrick nods and sees the wisdom in what you have said.

    The door to the tavern opens and in walks an Ergothian who is dressed like and smells like a fisherman. He exchanges a greeting with Kerrick and says, "Do you still have the cards behind the bar? The others should be in soon and we'll want to play while the storm passes over." Kerrick responds, "Aye, I have the cards." He reaches behind the bar and pulls out a deck then tosses it to the fisherman.

    Looking out the bar windows you see the rest of the fishing boats are now docking for the storm. You look to Kerrick and ask, "What are they playing?" Kerrick responds, "During storms and occasionally at night they'll gather to play 5 card draw. Its a low stakes game, but they'd be open to letting you play as long as you don't cheat."

    You get a gleam in your eye as you realize this could solve your money problems. Kerrick sees your eyes light up and says, "Remember, its low stakes, if you only have steel you won't be able to play. They play for copper." You curse under your breath, which gives Kerrick an idea. "I can exchange your steel for copper. I can't give you what they are worth, but once you finish playing I'll return your steel for the same price."

    Seeing as the only alternative to this poker game could involve weeks of hardwork, you quickly agree to Kerrick's terms. You trade in your 4 steel pieces for 700 cp. Kerrick sees the look on your face and says, "Remember, I can't use steel so I can't give you a good exchange rate. I will return your 4 steel pieces for the 700 cp though if you don't lose all your money."

    Kerrick looks at the table which now has 4 men seated at it and calls, "Hey Aramil, Fasmuss here would like to join your game." Aramil looks at the other 3 fisherman whom all nod and says, "We'd welcome you, but how can we be sure you won't cheat?"
    "Well," you respond, "my left hand recently had unwanted emergency surgery so I am in no condition to deal." As you hold up your bandaged left hand the fisherman all nod. "I see," says Aramil, "in that case we'd be sure you can't cheat and will be happy to have you in the game."

    You sit down to the right of Aramil and meet the remaining fisherman. Seated on Aramil's left is Gremag, then Jaer and next to you Kerith. The inform you of their customs, ante is 1 cp, then its 5 cp to draw up to 3 cards. If you want to bet after the draw its 10 cp. Its custom for everyone to ante and draw so the pots are not too small. You agree to the customs and start playing. After 3 hands you identify that Gremag taps the middle finger of his right hand when he is bluffing, Jaer strokes his mustache if he has three of a kind and Kerith holds his breath for a second if he has at least two pair. You smile to yourself as you feel this will be easy pickings.

    You are limited in playing time based solely on the length of the storm. The storm will last 89 + 6d10 minutes. Take the total rolled and divide it by 5 then round up. The result is the amount you win by bluffing, persuasion and knowing their tells. You win d20 + your Charisma modifier every 5 minutes. So, if you roll 6 1s for the storm length, you'd win 19d20 + 38 cp.

    Additionally, every 5 minutes you have a chance of winning a big hand. Roll d100 for every 5 minute segment. If you roll above 90, you win 64 cp.
    If you don't want to roll, the results I got for you are 6d10 = 39 for a total of 26 5 minute segments. This results in 26d20+52 = 309 cp.
    You also won 4 big hands totalling 256 cp more. This brings your total winnings to 565 cp.
    Once the storm breaks up the fisherman bid you farewell as they return to their boats. You return the 700 cp to Kerrick and get your 4 steel back which you instantly re-hide inside your jacket. Kerrick looks at your pile of cp and says, "Did you want to swap that for silver?" You quickly agree and you trade 560 (or whatever you won) cp for 56 sp. You place that and your 5 cp in your jacket pockets.

    Kerrick nods his head at the bar and says, "Danira brought you lunch, but it looked like you were on a hot streak so I didn't let her interrupt you." You look at the bar and see a plate of ham, cheese and a piece of bread. There is also a pitcher of water. You eat your lunch and drink the pitcher, you have now consumed 2 gallons of water today meeting your requirement. You have 9 days remaining that require 2 gallons per day.
    It is now Ninth Watch and you have to decide what you want to do.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    631

    Default

    Errata:
    Whenever you hit level 2, you will roll for HPs. If you roll less than a 4, it counts as a 4. For each level there after you get whatever you rolled. I just need you to have some HPs to avoid being part of Kobold soup, so you get this bonus at level 2.
    At the start of the day I said no sunlight was coming in the window so you knew it faced north. However, Ansalon is in the southern hemisphere, so that should be sunlight was coming in the window so you knew it was north.

    Personality Trait:
    Hmm, I guess I read that differently than you did...

    The Good news is I have earned some XP as a DM. The bad news is I am going to earn a lot more on this campaign. I had put together a plot and expected you to follow it, so when you didn't I reacted incorrectly. What you wanted to do, asking for a reward, was indeed the correct thing to do in your situation and smart gameplay. My response and the assumption about your personality trait was wrong. However, I do not want to change any of that so you now have Inspiration (page 35 in the Basic Rules) for good gameplay instead of an alteration to the story.

    Pendant:
    The jacket has 5 buttons, so it opens in the front. You believe the pendant is made of granite.

    Terjon:
    You cast Prestidigitation to cool the pipe, then again to heat the seawater. After a few minutes, water starts to drip out of the pipe into the white barrel. Terjon's eyes light up and he says, "Ah, now I see. Hmmm," he thinks, "any idea how I could do that without magic?" You ponder for a second and tell Terjon, "Well, in the winter setting the black barrel close to your fireplace should be sufficient. In the summer, if you build a fence and place the black barrel on the north side and the white barrel on the south you should get a decent enough yield from the de-salinizer." Terjon smiles and nods saying, "That's a big help, whenever you make a purchase I'll give you 10% off the total." You thank Terjon and return to the tavern.

    High Watch

    You talked to Kerrick for a couple of minutes then played poker for two hours and 8 minutes. After eating and using the facilities you settle down in the storeroom at Ninth Watch (nice job on your part knowing that).

    You sit on the floor and study your spellbook. Examining the patterns, incantations and motions necessary to cast Detect Magic. After a few minutes you start the ritual. You gradually feel the power inside your grow as you shape your spell. With you arms spread out and hands open you intone words of magic, "Ranna .....Ninteth....Hazoom." You repeat the phrase several times as you slowly bring your arms together channeling the magical energy into a focus. As you complete the spell you can clearly see a glow from you dagger even before you remove it from its sheath. The dagger is magical. As you search the rest of the room there is not even the slightest trace of any magical properties.

    Once you have completed your search you sit down and prepare your spells, you unequivially know that was five minutes well spent. You spend the next three hours practicing gestures, the language of magic and taking mental notes on the process to cast Identify and Comprehend Languages. Much of your time is spent thinking about the structures of salt, soot and pearls to help you ascertain their use as a focus in spell casting. You believe it would help you master the spells if you could obtain these spell components (Note, any pearl would be beneficial irrespective of its value).

    Twelfth Watch

    You spend a few minutes to gather yourself before returning to the tavern at Twelfth Watch. The tavern is empty except for an old man sitting at the eastern table. He is a thin, balding Ergothian with white hair. He is resting his left hand on a cane. He is squinting so you assume his eyesight is going. He has on common clothes in what you now accept to be the Ergothian style. You see he has a Khas board (if you are not familiar, this is the Krynn version of chess) setup on the table. Upon hearing you enter the room he says, "Ah, Kerrick, there you are. You ready for our weekly game of Khas?" He looks up and quickly realizes you are not Kerrick. "Uh.." the old man starts to say as Kerrick walks up behind you.

    Kerrick says, "Ah, Nadir. I did not hear you come in. I was helping Danira in the kitchen. This is Fasmuss, he is here visiting for a few days," says Kerrick as a way of introducing you. You exchange greetings with Nadir when Kerrick says, "Maybe for a change you can play with Fasmuss. He may be more of a challenge for someone of your skill. What do you say Fasmuss?"

    Seeing as nothing else appears to be going on, you agree to play with Nadir. Nadir has enough time to play 3 games. The games last about 30 minutes each. You will each make an Intelligence check. The higher score wins. Nadir has no modifiers, so in the event of a tie (ie, you roll a 10, he rolls a 14), Nadir wins. A natural 20 also wins. If you both roll a 20, you win. If you roll a 1, you lose. If you both roll a 1, you lose. At the end of each of the first two games you will make an Investigation check. The check is to determine if you have identified Nadir's strategy. If your score is above a 10, you get +1 to your INT check for the next game. If its above 15, you get +2. If its above 20, you get +3, if its above 25 you get +4. If you roll a 20 on your investigation check you automatically win any subsequent game(s) you play with Nadir. The bonuses stack, ie if you get a +1 for the second game and then get a score of 15 on your Investigation check after the second game, you would get a bonus of +3 for the third game. You bet Nadir 10 sp on each game.

    Once you have completed your games with Nadir it is Evening Watch Rising 10. Kerrick suggests that you have dinner now and you agree. While you are eating several of the farmers from the village come into the tavern. Two walk up to the bar while three others sit at a table. They pull out cards and start to gamble. You walk over to the table and introduce yourself and ask if you could join their game. The farms introduce themselves and agree to you joining the game.

    The farmers are playing Lucid Draw, named after the town in which it originated (this is a bastardized version of Bacharach). A Lucid deck only has 40 cards, 10 of each suit with no facecards (magically its d10 poker). With three or four players, two decks are used. Each player antes 1 sp and is dealt two cards. The goal is to get closest to 10. If your score is over 10, just use the ones digit of the total. IE if you get an 8 and a 9, your total is 7 instead of 17. You may purchase one additional card for 1 sp. The same pattern holds for this, if you had an 8 and a 9 and purchase a 10, you total is still 7. The best hand is a pair of 10s. If you do not have two 10s, all 10s count as zero. In the event of a tie, 2 cards beats 3 cards, ie the player who didn't purchase an extra card wins. If both players have 2 cards, the highest card wins, ie a 7 and a 2 beats a 5 and 4. The same tie breaker is used if both players have 3 cards. If after the tie breakers it is still tied, the players split the pot. The farmers do not buy a card if they have a 7 or higher.

    As an example hand, your two cards are an 8 and a 2 for a total of 10. Farmer 1 has a 9 and 8 for a total of 7, Farmer 2 has a 6 and 5 so he buys a 1 for a total of 2. Farmer 3 has an 8 and a 7 so he buys a 5 for a total of 10. You and Farmer 3 tie with 10 each, but you have 2 cards to his 3, so you win. Since Farmer 2 and 3 bought cards, you win 5 sp.

    The farmers play until the Restful Hour with a 5 minute break each hour. So you can play 33 hands. If you don't want to roll, you can take my results and you won 38 sp. At the Restful hour you can make a Persuasion check to see if the Farmers will play for another hour (11 more hands). If you roll a 15, one agrees to stay, if you roll a 20 all three will. You will need to roll for the results though.

    Once you finish playing, you will need to decide what to do.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    631

    Default

    Errata: The dagger's magic is from the Transmutation School. Note: This may change after the DMs Guide comes out.

    Also, by my calculation, you now have 4 steel, 104 sp and 9 cp.

    Story:

    You wake up with sunlight streaming in through the window. It looks like a beautiful day and if it wasn't Deepkolt you would expect it to be a warm day. You gather your still meager possessions and head to the tavern.

    Danira and Kerrick are already having breakfast at the western table. The smell of fresh coffee fills the air. Kerrick sees you as he takes a tug of his coffee. He holds up the mug in a salute and says, "Good morning. " You respond and join them for breakfast.

    Kerrick says, "Danira, it was amazing to see Fasmuss clean up in poker. The fisherman barely left with their shirts and the farmers fared worse. " Kerrick gives out a hearty laugh and Danira almost spits out her coffee. "Wow," says Danira laughing, "they will have to find a new hobby until the harvest. " Kerrick laughs and agrees saying, "Yes, its a good thing that the fisherman's good season starts soon otherwise they would be in trouble."

    You inquire if you have bankrupted anyone, but Kerrick assures you it was fine saying, "They love to gamble, but they only play with what they can afford. This just means there will be no gambling here for a few months. How did you fare against Nadir? I am lucky if I can beat him twice." You inform Kerrick you were lucky and used a daring strategy to best Nadir three times. Danira and Kerrick are impressed.
    As you finish breakfast you think about what was said. Now may be the time to get out of the village before you have to do an honest days work.

    You are just short on having the coins you need for everything. Perhaps you can haggle with Terjon for a better price.

    If you want to try, make a Charisma Persuasion check and let me know what you rolled.

    Response: Persuasion Check with modifier was a 10

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    631

    Default

    Academic Question:

    Mage Armor requires a piece of cured leather. The size, shape, and configuration of that leather is unspecified. Could, say, a leather belt one may be wearing be used to cast the spell? (or any piece of leather equipment for that matter) I would assume something like a boot wouldn't work, because you probably have to touch the leather with your hand, and doing so with a boot would be hard unless you were sitting down or something. The same could be asked about fleece, if one had a fleece cloak or something. (and finally, would my granite pendant work for Wall of Stone?)

    Essentially, how much leeway does a mage have to improvise?

    Detect Magic:
    Did I determine the school of magic for the spell on the dagger? The spell description indicates I would know.

    Errata:
    Your description of the detect magic ritual, while quite well done, did have one minor mistake - I don't actually have a sheath for that dagger. I made no purchases from Terjon, so the only sheath I have for it would be the one it came in (the hole in my hand), and I'd rather not carry it that way.

    Khas:
    Won all 3 games and collected my 30 sp.

    Lucid Draw:
    That's a lot of work with one d10, so I took your total for 38sp.
    Failed miserably on the Persuasion check.

    Actions:
    After failing to get any farmers to continue playing, I decide to go sleep in the storeroom.

    After I wake up, which takes however long my body decides is right, get breakfast and then head back to Terjon to see if he found the component pouch yet. If he has, buy the component pouch for 2 steel and 50 silver. While the other equipment is important, not being able to store spell components leaves me feeling vulnerable, and is hampering my spell research. also buy a money pouch for my gambling winnings and a sheath for my dagger. The other items can wait until i'm a little more financially stable.

    Assuming I acquired the pouch, ask Terjon if i can have (or failing that, if he will sell me) some of the salt by-product from the de-salinator. Collect some sand from the beach, and try to determine if there are likely any shellfish in the area that may bear pearls. Also, have a look around to see if there may be any owls nesting nearby. (essentially, scrounge for free spell components while looking around the general area of the village). Head back to the tavern when it is time for lunch (around High Watch) if nothing interesting happens when I'm out and about.

    *Note* I am assuming that given the time of year, searching for wild herbs for my (yet to be purchased) herbalisim kit would not be successful. Please advise if this is not the case.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    631

    Default

    This message will include the response I sent you on Friday as well just to clean up any loose ends. I will try adding color info, so your comments are red, mine are black.
    I also changed the file naming convention to be the month and day as opposed to the day of the adventure. So, its now Deepkolt 10, DK10.

    Garner
    Don't know if you saw, but James Garner passed away. Since I stopped buying cable I took up to watching re-runs of the TV show Maverick. That show is significantly responsible for the idea of this campaign, a traveling gambler and includes your DM imposed aversion to hard work. And a lot of Fasmuss' quick remarks that I make I picture him as James Garner while making. Which is odd that a wizard wears a cowboy hat. One of my favorite quotes from the show was Garner saying, "Its like my Pappy always said, 'He who runs away, lives to run away another day.'"

    Academic Question:

    Mage Armor requires a piece of cured leather. The size, shape, and configuration of that leather is unspecified.

    Whenever a component is required it has to be held in your hand, not just touched. So you'd either have to take your belt off or pull it out a lot as you made the Somatic portion of a spell as well. As such, I don't think it'd work. As for fleece, there is a reason you have a piece of it in your pants pocket. Additionally, in one of the extra emails I sent you, you did inquire about a piece of cured leather from Terjon, which is resolved in this message. Since your pendant is small and accessible it would work as the component for Wall of Stone. Basically, I will try to be as lenient as possible and the goal is fun. Not being able to cast because of a lack of spell components is not fun (although may be a good plot device in the future!).

    Also, because of Gods, magic, the DM not being a dick and a few other reasons, spell components will not decay once you get them. So, somehow rose petals in your component pouch will last forever. Same goes for any herbs you collect for an herbalism kit.

    Skills

    The skills you are proficient in is a subset of your class and background. This would give you a total of 4 skills. We substituted one of those for the proficiency with the Herbalism kit. Leaving one skill available for you to choose. It would make the most sense to me for you to be proficient in Perception from your experience in finding herbs. In addition to being able to spot herbs and find traps, this would help you spot cheating in poker. Otherwise it would need to be a class skill unless you can write up a nice justification for a different one.

    Lesser Reincarnation

    A nice DDO term, basically we can modify your character if we need to once the PHB comes out. Also of note, since the spell selection was so limited in the Basic Rules, for the first time ever we will be using the 2E Complete Wizard's Handbook I bought sometime in the 1990s for additional spells. I guess I need to find out how many spells fit in a spellbook.

    Armor

    Evidently in 4E and carried over to 5E is the rule that you can cast spells in any armor you are proficient with. My response to that is no way under any circumstances will that be allowed.

    Magic and Concentration

    If you read the rules on Concentration, you have a signficant amount of spells you can not cast simultaneously. Complicated spells like the cantrip Dancing Lights and Level 1 spell Minor Image can not be active concurently. Since that is stupid, the new rule is an alteration of the 1E gold box games. If you take damage in a Turn prior to your Action, you must make a Concentration check to successfully cast a spell. On a failed check, you use the spell slot to ensure that the spell does not go awry and kill you. The DC of the check will be the same as noted in the Basic Rules.

    Spells
    I much prefer spells that grow in power as you level. As such I may be houseruling a ton of spell effects. For example, I think Magic Missile will give you an additional missile at levels 8 and 15, for a total of 5 when cast as a first level spell. Fireball and Lightning will add 1 damage per level of caster. Delayed Blast Fireball will add 2 per level of caster. This will all depend on monsters though when the Monster Manual comes out. I heard a rumor they are giving them a decent amount of HPs. As in a 3E Ogre has ~20-24 HPs, and in 5E he'll have 50+ HPs.

    Detect Magic:
    Did I determine the school of magic for the spell on the dagger? The dagger's magic is from the Transmutation School. Note: This may change after the DMs Guide comes out. Update: Probably not.

    Errata:
    Your description of the detect magic ritual, while quite well done, did have one minor mistake - I don't actually have a sheath for that dagger. I made no purchases from Terjon, so the only sheath I have for it would be the one it came in (the hole in my hand), and I'd rather not carry it that way.

    Ha ha ha, I suspect I will be making a lot of these errors, although you mentioning that no herbs should be around in Deepkolt did prevent me from making that one. And generated a side quest. Also of note, I realized I had no desire to make up the language of magic as I go so I found a resource online. As such, next time you cast Detect Magic it'll use different words.

    Goals
    Part of the XP awards are associated with goals, however if you don't know them or they are not obvious its hard for you to complete them, so.
    Minor Goals:
    Leave the Village
    Return to Solamnia
    Major Goal:
    Use the pendant to find the identity of your parents

    Khas:
    Won all 3 games and collected my 30 sp.
    Lucid Draw:
    That's a lot of work with one d10, so I took your total for 38sp.
    Failed miserably on the Persuasion check. Somehow you won 14 of the 33 hands. Guess it was your lucky day.

    Coins
    As mentioned, you now have 4 steel, 104 sp and 9 cp. Let me know if I added wrong.
    Actions:

    After failing to get any farmers to continue playing, I decide to go sleep in the storeroom.

    After I wake up, which takes however long my body decides is right, get breakfast and then head back to Terjon to see if he found the component pouch yet. I believe I will go with 8 hours of sleep per day.

    You wake up at First Watch with sunlight streaming in through the window. It looks like a beautiful day and if it wasn't Deepkolt you would expect it to be a warm day. You gather your still meager possessions and head to the tavern.

    Danira and Kerrick are already having breakfast at the western table. The smell of fresh coffee fills the air. Kerrick sees you as he takes a tug of his coffee. He holds up the mug in a salute and says, "Good morning. " You respond and join them for breakfast.

    Kerrick says, "Danira, it was amazing to see Fasmuss clean up in poker. The fisherman barely left with their shirts and the farmers fared worse. " Kerrick gives out a hearty laugh and Danira almost spits out her coffee. "Wow," says Danira laughing, "they will have to find a new hobby until the harvest. " Kerrick laughs and agrees saying, "Yes, its a good thing that the fisherman's good season starts soon otherwise they would be in trouble."

    You inquire if you have bankrupted anyone, but Kerrick assures you it was fine saying, "They love to gamble, but they only play with what they can afford. This just means there will be no gambling here for a few months. Luckily for me, their ale funds are seperate from their gambling funds. How did you fare against Nadir? I am lucky if I can beat him twice." You inform Kerrick you were lucky and used a daring strategy to best Nadir three times. Danira and Kerrick are impressed.

    As you finish breakfast you think about what was said. Now may be the time to get out of the village before you have to do an honest days work. You are just short on having the coins you need for everything. Perhaps you can haggle with Terjon for a better price.

    As you leave the tavern you feel the crisp chill on the air and a stiff breeze coming off the ocean. The sky is mostly clear, but the sparse clouds allow a few snow flakes to fall. Today is definitely colder than yesterday. Thinking of spell components, you glance around the town and finally notice two things. There are no trees in town and no barns. It seems very odd to you that a farming community has no barns.
    As you enter the general store Terjon jumps with a start, it appears you woke him up. "Ah," says Terjon, "it is good to see you again. I was able to find everything you asked about. I remember buying three component pouches, unfortunately mice ate two of them. So I still have 1 if you are interested. And I picked up a scrap of cured leather from workshop. I would ask what it is for, but after your demonstration yesterday I would rather not know. Since you showed me how the de-salinizer worked, I will sell you everything for 191 sp."

    You grit your teeth and take in a deep breath as you rub your chin saying, "Oh, that seems like a lot. Hmmm...can we be sure that component pouch wasn't damaged?" You start haggling with Terjon throwing everyhing you can at him to lower the price including discussing your tragic childhood. Terjon shows pity for you, but not your coin purse. You do succeed (Charisma Persuasion DC 10) to negotiate a price of 180 silver pieces for everything. Although this is about all the money you have, it will give you the equipment and provisions you need to travel to Serval. You have to believe with Serval being a larger village it should be much easier to earn a few coins. You also think that your time staying in the storeroom of the tavern will be ending soon and you will have to find an alternate place to live.

    Do you wish to purchase everything for 180 sp or some lesser amount of gear?
    Assuming I acquired the pouch, ask Terjon if i can have (or failing that, if he will sell me) some of the salt by-product from the de-salinator. Collect some sand from the beach, and try to determine if there are likely any shellfish in the area that may bear pearls.

    After finalizing your transaction with Terjon, you inquire about salt. Terjon responds, "Oh, if you want salt goto the table by the docks. We typically pull a few gallons of water out each month and have two tables to collect the salt as the water evaporates. It works fantastically in the summer and still well enough in the winter." Terjon gives you the piece of cured leather. It is about 1 inch long by half an inch wide and you place it in your pants pocket opposite the fleece.

    You thank Terjon for the information and as you are about to leave you ask, "Why are there no barns for the farms?" Terjon says, "The village is actually split in two. The barns and a few of the farmers live by the lake on the opposite side of the brewery. Its about a mile west of here. At the current rate of growth, in about 500 years the two halves should meet up. The savannah is very fertile here making for great farming. I have a feeling this will eventually turn into a large town and trading port." Terjon adds with a laugh, "The only thing that could slow this place down is if it becomes a glacier." You give a hearty chuckle at the ridiculous notion of this area turning into permanent ice and say, "That would be one hell of a Frost. (for some odd reason that is capitalized)" You then leave to gather some salt and sand into your new component pouch (I am assuming you will buy at least that and/or take it if you murder Terjon).
    Also, have a look around to see if there may be any owls nesting nearby. (essentially, scrounge for free spell components while looking around the general area of the village). Head back to the tavern when it is time for lunch (around High Watch) if nothing interesting happens when I'm out and about.

    *Note* I am assuming that given the time of year, searching for wild herbs for my (yet to be purchased) herbalisim kit would not be successful. Please advise if this is not the case.

    As you glance around, you note that this part of the village is the docks, two salt tables, tavern and general store. There are eight houses that form a semi-circle around the west of the tavern and general store. The village ends about 100 feet from the water. There is a well warn track heading west which you assume goes to the other half of the village. There are no trees in the immediate vicinity. The savannah is lifeless this time of year. The low rolling hills block much of your view inland.
    It is now Second Watch. The other half of the village is about a mile away, you could walk there and look around and be back before High Watch.

    What would you like to do?

    Things to be resolved:
    1. Pick a Skill
    2. Purchase items
    3. Decide what to do

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    631

    Default

    Spells

    Will we use the casting in a higher slot mechanic at all? Yes, this entire ability is unchanged. The bonus I am talking about is just for your Wizard level. Any benefit to casting a spell at a higher spell level will still apply. Again, subject to change once the Monster Manual comes out.

    Also, what is the owl feather for?

    Errors
    I had an entire paragraph written up about you casting Identify, then I realized that is not a spell you know.

    Goals
    Add minor goal, Replace 5 steel pieces in hiding spots in your jacket.

    Coins
    And your math was correct, except now you have 7 sp, 9 cp.

    Gear
    Since you made a purchase, I think it is time we update your equipment.
    Boots, socks, pants, belt, shirt, jacket, pendant
    Dagger (unidentified) with sheath
    Waterskin (full, half gallon)
    Rations 3 days
    Beltpouch
    Backpack with Bedroll attached outside it (Herbalism kit, 2/3 empty)
    Cloak (this cloak is moderately thick and will suffice as a blanket except in snow or extreme cold)
    Axe with sheath, you keep this in the small of your back.
    Herbalism Kit (empty)
    Component pouch (sand, salt, empty, empty)
    Bit of fleece in pocket
    Piece of cured leather in pocket

    Let me know if I missed anything.

    Actions
    You purchase your new equipment.

    Head over to the other side of the village. Look around for possible owl feathers, and see if there is any way to acquire any herbs that may be useful to me, either for sale, or otherwise potentially acquireable. Also, keep an eye out for any (non-hard work related) opportunities to fatten my rather pathetically small purse.

    You make the journey to the other half of the village. It is indeed the farming portion of the community. On the south side of the lake are several farm houses and associated barns. You see a few people slowly milling about. The north side of the lake has the brewery. West of the lake is a forest. You wander around the village and talk to the locals. There is not much going on. Even if you were willing to do hard labor, there is none to be had this time of year. The locals here are not used to getting any visitors and while pleasent, they are not overly friendly. You inquire about owls in the area, but no one recalls seeing any. You do not notice any feathers on your tour of the town. As you are leaving town you notice a moss growing on a fence post. A closer examination reveals it is a phosphorescent moss. You take a small piece and place it into your component pouch.

    After returning from the other half of the village, return to the tavern and let Kerrick know that I plan on setting out for Serval in the morning. Spend the time until dinner doing spell research. At dinnertime, see if there are any suckers, er, locals still willing to gamble for a bit.

    You return to the tavern and have lunch with Kerrick. As part of lunch you drink a gallon of water and with what you drank at breakfast you have now consumed 1.5 gallons today. You inform Kerrick you will be leaving for Serval tomorrow. Kerrick responds, "Ah, I wondered when you would be moving on. There is not much life here in the village to keep one such as yourself interested for long." You inquire about the best route to which Kerrick responds, "It has been a few years since I have traveled to Serval. Now, if the trip needs to be made, I send one of my sons. I doubt much has changed though. The trip is two full days. The easiest route is to just follow the shoreline. Staying about 100 yards inland so you can see and hear the ocean will be all the guide you need. There should not be any danger along the way outside of dehydration. There are only a few sources of fresh water, so when you get to one, make sure you take advantage of it. Somewhere on the first day is a small creek. Although this time of year with the snow melt it may be a lot bigger. Usually by the end of the day we would see a small copse of trees and make camp on the western edge of that. It worked out perfectly that its at the bottom of a shallow gully. So no one on the ocean can see your camp fire and neither can anyone or anything in the surrounding area. It gives a nice sense of safety on the trip. On the second day, there may only be standing pools of water and you need to be lucky to find them. I recall many times getting to Serval and being very thirsty. Fortunately, by the time you feel your thirst is a problem, you will crest a hill and see Serval."

    You thank Kerrick for the information and are heading to the storeroom when you see Danira. You exchange greetings and continue to the storeroom. You spend several hours studying your spellbook. You complete your studies, having the components was a much needed boost. You feel that you have almost mastered Comprehend Languages and Identify. You realize that you will need to get some quills and ink once you get to Serval. You contemplate what you will need to do to earn some coins. You shake your head as you think about putting together an illusion show to earn a few silvers. These are hard times indeed. You eventually hear the sounds of the tavern and head out to enjoy your last night here.

    You sit down at the bar and see that Kerrick was correct. Although the farmers and fisherman are here, none of them are gambling. You smile in greeting and order a mug of ale from Kerrick. As you are about to pay, Kerrick stops you and says with a smile, "This one is on me." You turn and see everyone looking at you so you hoist your mug in salute and take a large drink. You promptly spit the beverage out as the tavern erupts in laughter. The taste is so vile you have trouble quelling the urge to vomit. After a few seconds you look at Kerrick and say, "What in the Abyss was that?" Kerrick laughs and says, "Its a combination of pearl juice and fish oil. Somehow it foams to resemble ale. It is a drink we give to haze every male when they come of age. I thought it would be fitting for your last day here." Kerrick brings you a real ale which you use to get the taste out of your mouth. You spend the rest of the night talking to the locals in which the discussion of farm animals and fishing is the major topic. The are a few stories about sailing which intrigue you, but not enough to make note of. You find out that several woman have come of age. This would be valuable information if you were staying in town. You buy one additional ale for 4 cp and have another half gallon of water and supper before retiring for the night. You have 8 more days of increased water consumption.

    You awake in the morning and gather your possessions. You head to the tavern and join Kerrick and Danira for breakfast. You drink a half a gallon of water with breakfast. Danira has made you a larger than normal portion and you will not need to eat again today. You thank them for their help and hospitality before starting your journey south. As you leave the tavern the cold air hits in the face and chills your bones. The sky is clear with a few clouds forming in the west. As you leave the village you creast a small hill and turn to look at it one last time. You contemplate if you will ever come back here. As you turn to go, you notice a rose bush on the top of the hill. You frown as you realize its empty branches notify you that you will not have any luck collecting herbs on your trip south.

    You walk south and follow Kerrick's advice of always keeping the ocean within either sound or sight. The walking is easy, but after walking for four hours you have emptied your waterskin. It is now High Watch and you hope to find the creek soon. The clouds forming in the west are taking their time and although the day is cold, the sun is bright and the sky is blue. You continue on your way and at Eighth Watch you stumble across the creek. Even with the snow melt, it is a small creek. It is about a foot deep and three feet across. You refill your waterskin and sit down for a few minutes. You quickly drink the half gallon of water and refill your waterskin again. You have drank one gallon of water today and you will need at least one more to avoid dehydration. You waterskin is currently full, but only holds half a gallon.

    If you are going to reach Serval tomorrow you will need to walk for two more hours today. The risk of not finding water tomorrow will prevent you from traveling to Serval at an increased pace. Looking around the vicinity, you realize there is not much cover in any direction. You would have to make a wide search for firewood and any fire you made would be visible for miles around. You think it would be best to try to reach the gully and woods that Kerrick spoke of to camp tonight.

    What would you like to do?
    Things to be resolved:
    Verify equipment list (add moss and subtract 4 cp)
    What do you want to do at the creek?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    631

    Default

    Errata

    There is a lot, so that is good news.

    1. I was talking to Steve and said how I wanted to play a Dragonlance campaign because of how much I've enjoyed the world and one aspect of that is gold is worthless. So I am backtracking on my earlier statement and a gold piece will be worth 2.5 cp. This should basically never effect you because gold hasn't been used for a couple hundred years.

    2. A spell book has 100 pages. We will go with 1 page per spell level. So, 306.

    3. Seeing as I bought NWN 2 and two expansions and somehow never got past the first city, I though I'd put it to good use. Obviously its benefit is little at best in this instance, but in future complicated fights it will help. BTW looking good! And I had to select a Ranger so your were wearing the right clothes. Although the cloak is sub par.

    Errors
    Not only do I not know it yet, I need a 100gp pearl and an owl feather to cast it anyway, neither of which I have.

    I missed the owl feather, but had the pearl covered. Danira was going to be wearing a necklace with a large pearl that although you didn't know its value, knew it was worth more than 50 steel. And I kept having to rewrite the section because I kept typing pearl necklace and then laughing.

    Water
    Reading your description, I have drank a gallon and a half of water already today (1/2 gal at breakfast, 1/2 gal during the walk, and 1/2 gal at the stream) not one gallon as you state in the last paragraph, so with the 1/2 gallon in my waterskin, that will make 2 gallons for the day.

    You are correct, you did drink 1.5 gallons. So you decided to take your half gallon and press on. I'm glad I asked because I was going to have you weight 30 minutes at the creek while drinking another half gallon then refill the waterskin. So you would have had your 2 gallons drank and had 1/2 a gallon for tomorrow. Instead we'll do it your way and you will start tomorrow with no water.

    Actions
    Press on to the gully. Always while traveling keep an eye out for water sourcehs to replenish my supply.

    As you are continuing south you feel the temperature dropping. You hope it won't be frigid over night. You hear someone shout, "Now." Looking directly infront of you, you see an old, emaciated man step out from behind a tree 30 feet away and start walking towards you. He looks to be on the thin side of gaunt. He is carrying a dagger. Off to your on the top of a small rise you see another man standing up, he is 30 feet away from you. He also starts walking towards you. The younger man is carrying a warhammer. You notice that both men are walking very slowly and they appear to be a day away from starving to death.

    They surprised you and were able to take a turn while you did nothing.
    Roll Initiative and plot out your turn. The attached picture is supposed to help, although it was really just more for me to play with the toolset to see if it was useful. The old man directly in front of you is 15 feet away. Off to your right, the younger mans is 23 feet away.

    Depending on who wins Initiative, we can change what you would like to do on your turn.

    Make camp in the gully, and use Burning Hands to start my fire since I lack a tinderbox (carefully aim the cone so that I don't burn down the woods).

    You do realize there is a big reason I had you take Prestidigitation, right?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •