Page 63 of 63 FirstFirst ... 13535960616263

Thread: Dragons on the River of Time [Fifth Quest - "Champions and Cutthroats"]

As the steamy fog began to fade the Marauder began to sing a petulant song from behind his burning sheet wall of fire.

“My time was my brother's, now it's his I unravel. Time's expanses I burn, destroying the forever. I ravage it's flow. Cup the pommel and sheathe the beginning,” he was shrieking angrily. Ulin realized at that moment that the fey creature wasn't singing, he was chanting. “Spin them sideways upon themselves. All he has done shall be ruined, his fate forever slaved to my will.”

Then there was only the crackling of the flames and wailing of the shadow wights circling faster and faster down towards them.

Ulin, the sorcerer heard the Wayfarer in his mind. Did my brother just leave? He just left didn't he. Quickly! Try and trace the magic before the whole lot of you are swarmed by shadow wights and wiped from existence! I must know. This must be confirmed.

Code:
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    | . . . . . . .G. .A| . . . . . . . . . . 
    | . . . .H.D. . . .L. . . . . . | . . . .
    | . . . .O. . . . .B. . . . . . | . . . .
    | . . . .P. . . . . | . . | . . \ . . . .
    | . . . .U. . . . . | . . | . . . . . . .
    | .f. . . . . . . . |. . . . . . . . . . .
    f= 20 ft. high wall of flame
    A= Usha   B= Beldyn   U= Ulin   D= Downfall   
    P= Praemonis   O= Loren   G= Antog   
    H= Bhatair   L= Luccia
    OOC -
    Marauder activates an item as a full round action.
    End of Round 3. Beginning of Round 4.

You're up guys!
    Head Moderator &
    Member of the Whitestone Council

"Hey look! I'm the Code of Conduct! Check me out!" -The Code of Conduct

Ulin heard the words reverberate from the amulet, and instantly fell into innate sorcery. He'd seen Usha cast the divination, and it came quickly.

OOC: DC 24 Spellcraft for Craft Spell to cast Trace Magic: 1D20(14) + 19 = 33, success.
    -Dragonlance Nexus Social Media Manager-
    GM - ICRP: Star Wars - Dawn of Defiance

Almost immediately he could see the gauzy silver thread of arcane energy from the Marauder's greater invisibility spell. It started as a cluster of ghostly energy in the back of the crypt, snaked to the far right corner, then looped back past itself into the corner hidden by the wall of fire.

Hurry then! I need a better view, the Wayfarer prodded.

Obediently Ulin circled what was left of the fire wall and was promptly blinded by the riot of greens that pulsed behind the stubborn purple flames. Blinking, he focused on the magic, struggling to maintain his concentration as he took in the sight before him. It was like trying to untangle a ball of yarn with your mind. Silver interlaced with green, which knotted around emerald, which was ensnared with pine. Whatever had left this swirling arcane mass had indeed been an artifact of great power – some version of the Device of Time Journeying he recalled Usha theorizing. The silver thread of greater invisibility threaded its way into the heart of the chaotic sphere of green energy and simply vanished. It was like someone had taken a pair of scissors to all of the silver and green threads of magic and cut them off before they had been allowed to get where they were trying to go.

Squinting a little harder Ulin gasped. There at the sight of the arcane neutering was a faint pulse of temporal energy, just like what he saw every time the Wayfarer opened his fuller gate.

Don't start. I'm going to try something, the Wayfarer said inside his head.

Ulin could feel the old man concentrating with every telepathic syllable and a growing pressure inside his own mind. It was like the Wayfarer was inflating his brain inside Ulin's. It hurt. The sorcerer winced and burbled in his throat as the Wayfarer very suddenly merged his consciousness with Ulin's. He knew that the huldrefolk creature was seeing through his eyes and borrowing his magical vision. Ulin could feel blood trickling from his nose, but dared not break the spell. He fought through the pain and continued to stare at the means of the Marauder's temporal escape.

Can't do this long, as I suspected. Alright, coming home everyone, the Wayfarer said. Well done Ulin. Bhatair and I never pulled off little trick!

Then very suddenly the Wayfarer was his usual tickle in the back of Ulin's mind. He gasped at the sudden emptying sensation in his head and nearly fell down. The threads magic vanished as he struggled to stay upright. He could feel himself being pulled out of the River of Time and back towards the Wayfarer's sanctuary.

Then there was an ear-splitting crack then made Ulin scream as his body was stabbed all over by millions of unseen, ice-cold needles.

He looked with horror at the calantine amulet around his neck as he was plunged into a green Abyss of fire and nothing. A tiny red flame snaked through the dark gem and as poisonous presence jammed itself inside his head, simultaneously ejecting the Wayfarer.

HELLO MY BROTHER'S LACKEY, the Marauder cackled inside Ulin's mind. ARE YOU READY TO START DROWNING?

Gasping for breath, Usha pulled herself to her feet and looked around. She felt liked she'd been dunked in a vat of ice water and smashed over the head by a dragon's tail.

She was back in the Wayfarer's sanctuary. The huldrefolk's crystal globe floated where it always did in the shadows above the inert fuller gate, lending its ghoulish green caste to the distressed tableau before her. Bhatair, the half-elf, her griffon, and Loren, were all there and in a similar state of confusion. However, Ulin, Beldyn, Antog, Downfall, and his wolf were all missing! And the Wayfarer...By the Moons, was the fey thing actually dead?

The Wayfarer lay on the floor next to his cold metal rings into the River of Time in his true form, all small and gray and knobby. He was sprawled out like a sleeping child in his to large purple cloak with its ridiculously high forked collar. His ioun stone lay on the ground a few feet from his head. There was no blood, but he did not appear to be breathing!

OOC -
    Ulin, DC 19 Spellcraft check succeeds automatically. Is able to pick out the moderate thread of magic created by the Marauder's greater invisibility spell.
    Ulin, DC 30 Spellcraft check (d20+19): 34. Succeeds. Is able to pick out the overwhelming thread of magic created the artifact the Marauder used to escape.
    Wayfarer, DC 25 Use Magic Device check (d20+23): 38. Succeeds. Merges his consciousness with Ulin's for 1 round so that he can see what Ulin is seeing.

Okay, no one is paralyzed any longer and Usha, Luccia, Varin, Bhatair, and Loren are back in the Wayfarer's sanctuary with a dead or unconscious Wayfarer. Everyone else, be patient! Explanations are coming soon. XP will be up for the last encounter shortly.

Have it kids!
    Head Moderator &

Loren, still dazed and confused from his sudden transition back to the this place, had to shake his head before he could take in the scene around him. When he finally grasped that the strange creature in front of him was the Wayfarer, he rushed forward and placed on heavy hand on the small creature. He prayed to the Mother Above to grant him some small healing ability, and hoped it would be enough.

OOC:
    One use of lay on hands:(4)= 4 HP. Not much.... It also removes the fatigued condition,if applicable.

Characters:
    -Loren Soth (LG Male Human Fighter 7/Paladin 3; Dragons on the River of Time)
    -Kadrien Soth (Zabrak Soldier 5/Jedi 2; Star Wars-Dawn of Defiance)
    -Victaria Grey (NG Female Cleric of Irori 5; Rise of the Runelords)

It wasn't. Whatever was afflicting the Wayfarer wasn't physical in nature. The huldrefolk appeared to be completely catatonic.

OOC -
    Sorry jake, no dice!
    Head Moderator &

“What's wrong with him?” Bhatair grumbled as he did a drunk walk over to Loren and the comatose huldrefolk.

Whatever had happened to the Exiles had hit everyone hard. The dwarven cleric quickly knelt down next to the Wayfarer and felt for a lifebeat in his neck. He grunted again, summoned a spot of light on the tip of his right index finger, and shined it into their benefactor's large black eyes one at a time.

Dismissing the orison, Bhatair unslung his backpack and rummaged around for a few moments. Producing a small gold-plated vial, he popped the stopper loose and poured the contents down the Wayfarer's throat.

“This ought to do the trick,” the dwarf told to Loren.

They both stared at the Wayfarer for what felt like an eternity, waiting for some sign of life from the creature. Then, just when both holy warriors felt like the fey sorcerer would never wake, he coughed. The Wayfarer coughed a few more times before he rolled clumsily up to a sitting position.

“What happened?” the Wayfarer sputtered.

“We were hoping ye could tell us that,” Bhatair replied. “Half o' us are missing.”

“Who are you exactly?” the Wayfarer asked, as he slowly began to float off of the ground. His large black eyes narrowed suspiciously at Loren, Bhatair, Usha, Luccia, and Varin.

OOC -
    Bhatair casts light, then dismisses it.
    Bhatair takes 10 on Heal check for a total of 22. Successfully concludes the Wayfarer has suffered enough temporary Wisdom damage to put him into a coma.
    Bhatair administers a potion of lesser restoration to the Wayfarer. Wisdom Restored (1d4): 4! The Wayfarer is conscious again, but not totally lucid.
    Head Moderator &

Usha gripped Spellhammer, resting most of her weight against the staff. She hobbled over, and addressed the Wayfarer. "Send us back. My son is missing. Where is he?"
    Dragonlanceforums.com Moderater - To be one, ask one!

Do you love the Dragonlace Forums? Do they provide you with hours of entertainment? Why not donate? Keep the hamsters running. Ask me how!

The Wayfarer simply glared at the Black Robe and said nothing.

“I don't think he'll be doing much o' anything until I've had time to pray over his big gray noggin' tomorrow, Usha,” Bhatair said. “His brains are a little scrambled at the moment. Unless ye think ye can make that all-seeing globe o' his work, we'll just have to be patient.”

The dwarf turned back to the wary Wayfarer.

“Now where do you sleep exactly? Ye need sleep. Memories will come back in the morning, promise,” Bhatair said.

“Sleep? Sleep is up!” the Wayfarer said with sudden cheer.

“Then go up!” Bhatair replied.

Reaching out a hand and speaking some words in his strange musical language, the Wayfarer's inert ioun stone floated off the ground and landed gently in the huldrefolk's gray palm. With a toothy smile he released the dusty rose prism near his temple, letting the thing find its natural orbit once more. Smiling sleepily the Wayfarer floated up into the shadows until he was lost even to those with darkvision.

“Up, over, and adrift,” they heard him singing nonsensically to himself as he disappeared. “Up, over, and adrift.”

OOC -
    Wayfarer casts a spell to fetch his dusty rose prism ioun stone.
    Usha, DC 12 Spellcraft check succeeds automatically. Recognizes the ambient cantrip mage hand.

I'm working on an epilogue post, but anyone in the Wayfarer's sanctuary feel free to continue posting until then!
    Head Moderator &

Default The Epilogue

Beldinas sat alone in His towering throne room of marble, lost in His own light, listening to the Caged God plead with him. When His other self had betrayed Him and fled this world His rage had shaken the very bones of Istar. He had strode the streets of Edessa blazing like a second sun, burning away the wights lurking in every shadow that stole His servants from His mind. His mind! Even now He stared at the heavenly greatsword on His lap, knowing where it had come from, but unable to conjure the face of the warrior who had wielded it.

Things such as this were not possible. He was the Godpriest! He knew all. He saw all.

Yet evil had torn a hole in His mind. He had betrayed Himself and escaped His justice.

He understood now. The Caged God had told Him the truth. Somewhere out there, someone was manipulating Time and Reality to their own ends. There were countless worlds being corrupted and poisoned by every evil imaginable and He was making it possible. This evil force that controlled His weaker self would be destroyed. He would save Himself and then He would eradicate Evil from all worlds, all times, and all places.

The Godpriest would save everyone.

OOC -
    Alright, that's it for this adventure. I will endeavor to get our sixth adventure going before the end of the weekend so we can find out what happened to our missing Exiles! Stay tuned!
    Head Moderator &