Page 1 of 63 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Dragons on the River of Time [Fifth Quest - "Champions and Cutthroats"]

Default Dragons on the River of Time [Fifth Quest - "Champions and Cutthroats"]

“There, there they are” the Wayfarer murmured to Loren. Standing alone with the fey sorcerer in his sanctuary, the paladin of Mishakal watched with teary eyes as the image of his beautiful elven wife Isolde and his young son, Peradur coalesced from the green mist inside the Wayfarer's crystal ball. “Quite alright as you can see,” he said, relieved.

The Wayfarer had struggled to find Loren's family in the River at first, but after his initial attempt to conjure their images failed he changed his tactics. Still a sickly gray color and sweating from his first failure the old man had focused his powers, chanting strange musical words as his hands danced about the surface of the floating globe. This new spell brought more color to the old man's face and more confidence to his voice

Whatever magic the Wayfarer had conjured had done the trick. For the first time in what felt like an eternity Loren saw his wife bouncing his son on her knee. They looked happy, no more ignorant of his absence then if he'd left them to visit the village nestled in the valley below Dargaard Keep for the afternoon. Isolde's hazel eyes smiled with the rest of her face as they always did. The toddler was tugging awkwardly at his mother's long dirty blond hair and laughing a silent laugh that Loren could hear in his head as clear as a bell. It was a beautiful and short-lived moment.

Just as quickly as Isolde and Peradur had appeared they were gone, leaving Loren and the Wayfarer alone in the fey sorcerer's shadowy scrying chamber.

OOC -
    DM Speak: Okay, so the remove curse scroll did not alleviate Luccia's cursed wounds. However, the stuff Beldyn blocked off in the planner will take care of it and she'll heal normally from now on. It is the “morning” after yesterday and Beldyn as already treated Luccia's injuries. Everybody's healed up!
    Wayfarer, DC 44 Use Magic Device check (d20+22): 31. Fails.
    Wayfarer casts a spell. Loren sees his wife and son.
    Loren, DC 22 Spellcraft check (d20+6): 11. Fails. Does not recognize the spell the Wayfarer casts.
    Last edited by Tauren_Kai-Jere; 06-11-2015 at 10:29 PM.
    Head Moderator &
    Member of the Whitestone Council

"Hey look! I'm the Code of Conduct! Check me out!" -The Code of Conduct

Loren eyes teared up unashamedly as he watched the two loves of his life, his wife and his son. They were why he was here, the only reason he was here. He would move the heavens and the Abyss itself to keep them safe, and by the grace of Mishakal it looked like it was working.

The intense joy he felt at seeing them alive and well was balanced against a sorrowful longing almost as strong. He missed them so deeply and so fully that he had no words to truly explain it. He prayed that he would see them soon, in the flesh. To smell the scent of her hair and feel his child's embrace. For now he would trust in that, and them. It would have to be enough.

"Thank you," Loren said to the Wayfarer after clearing his throat. "That is a gift I will not soon forget." He wiped the last remnants of tears from his eyes. "Now, let's get back on setting the River right so I may return to them."
    Last edited by Tauren_Kai-Jere; 05-26-2015 at 09:58 PM.

Characters:
    -Loren Soth (LG Male Human Fighter 7/Paladin 3; Dragons on the River of Time)
    -Kadrien Soth (Zabrak Soldier 5/Jedi 2; Star Wars-Dawn of Defiance)
    -Victaria Grey (NG Female Cleric of Irori 5; Rise of the Runelords)

“No time like the present then,” the Wayfarer said with a sad smile. “Could you fetch your companions? I think it's at least time we explain your next task. I suspect the idea of what's next is going to take...some getting used to for a few of you.”
    Head Moderator &

Loren nodded and set off, suspicions flying through his head. Would the Wayfarer ask him to betray his morals, his following of Mishakal? That would be too far. Loren hoped the man planned nothing of the sort, but a pit still formed in his stomach all the same.

Stopping by each of his companions rooms, Loren gathered the team with nervous antipication of their next mission.

Characters:

A Quarter-Watch later the five Exiles gathered in the familiar shadowy chamber with the Wayfarer, their gear packed and ready for their next excursion into the River. The old man was hovering cross-legged above his floating crystal globe and the dormant magical gate below it as he often did, ready to show them them the wonders and horrors that lay ahead. Although the griffon Varin was new to this place and this life the two-legged members of the group knew from experience that when one of their number returned home – or worse – that another took their place. All of them were wondering who would replace Simone. Loren couldn't shake that worried feeling that he wasn't going to like them.

Ulin, however, realized that he was now the only original member remaining of the group of people who had first appeared in the enchanted mural room and the Guardian’s shrine so many days ago. Had it really only been a little more than a tenday since the Wayfarer had plucked them out of the River of Time? Days, nights, Watches – time in general began to lose meaning when you were bounced between this timeless fortress wherever or whenever it was to new seasons, places, and times in the River.

“Well,” the Wayfarer said as he clapped his hands together in front of him. “Let get this over with. I would like you to meet your companions on this next excursion. My secret little band of cutthroats.”

His voice dropped to a whisper concealed by the backside of one hand.

“Don't let them hear you call them that. It isn't very polite,” he said conspiratorially.

“Oi! You ain't been polite since day one,” a familiar gruff voice grumbled. “Who drops a dwarf in a fountain like that?”

Ulin was surprised to see Bhatair Splitstone stride into the room, now the second person Ulin knew who had started this bizarre journey with him. The dwarven cleric of Reorx wore the same breastplate, carried the same heavy warhammer and shield, and had the same simple red and black wool robes draped over everything. Bhatair's medallion of faith still hung proudly around his neck on its heavy steel chain, but Ulin noticed a bracelet that hadn't been on his right wrist before. It bore a striking resemblance to the calantine amulet around his own neck. The dwarf's coal-black beard had a few more silver streaks in it than Ulin remembered, but he his own time in the River had changed him completely. He could only imagine what Bhatair had seen and done since the Wayfarer had ushered him away from the shrine that fateful day.

“Good to see ye again lad,' the dwarf said with a grin to the sorcerer. “Although I'm sad to say I don't recognize any o' this lot. I'd guess ye ain't had a good time of this either. Bhatair Splitstone,” he said amicably to the rest of Ulin's companions.

The two intimidating warriors that followed Bhatair didn't say a word, but stood a few paces back from the Daewar studying the Exiles suspiciously. The tanned, battle scarred half-ogre was almost eight-feet tall in his dark steel plate, with hints of tusks protruding from his bottom jaw. His hair was short, black, and spiky and his eyes were a striking emerald green. Loren wasn't sure even he could have hefted the two heavy blades strapped to the creature's back, but the armor looked modern to Loren, which meant it looked old to Ulin. Combined with the heavy crossbow on the brute's hip and the thick arms crossed over his chest it was clear to everyone that he did not want to be here.

The Kagonesti brave stood in the half-ogre's shadow, barely coming up to his chest. He was clearly sizing all of them up. He was lightly armored with daggers strapped to his forearms and a bandolier of knives across the chain links that protected his wiry chest. No one doubted there were more blades on the elven man that they simply couldn't see from where they were standing. His reddish-brown hair was short and unkempt and every bit of brown skin they could see was decorated with tribal tattoos. He wore a wooden medallion of some kind around his neck. His most striking feature was the scars across the left side of his face. It looked a wild animal had carefully mauled him, disfiguring his nose and cheek, but missing his eye completely. A grayish brown wolf clacked to his side and sat down to join her master in assessing these new people. She cocked her head to one side, tongue lolling from his jaws, and stared curiously at Varin. The griffon stared back defiantly, unimpressed by the smaller canine predator.

“That's Antog and Downfall,” Bhatair continued, thumbing a hand over a shoulder at the massive half-ogre and the savage looking elf, respectively. “Oi! And the wolf's Fao. She's scrappy, that one.”

Bhatair chuckled to himself.

“Last but not least, Mistress Usha,” he said with a hint of good-natured sarcasm at the title. Seeing how Bhatair was a dwarf, however, the sarcasm was more obvious than subtle.

The name “Usha” sent a thunderbolt through Ulin's chest. When he saw the small slight woman with the golden eyes identical to his own Ulin knew that this was some version of his mother. She looked to be closer to Loren's age than the age of his own mother. Her blond hair was short and held in place by a jewel encrusted silk headband. She was dressed in dark, supple leather with a dagger on her belt and a runic staff in one hand. A rose prism like the Wayfarer's rhythmically circled her head. She was beautiful, even in the black cloak that marked her as Wizard of High Sorcery. No, this was certainly not Ulin's mother.

Loren suddenly understood the pit in his stomach when he saw their new allies. These were not good people, his stomach was telling him.

“So,” the Wayfarer said with strained good cheer. He was absolutely not making eye-contact with Loren or Beldyn. “Say hello to your new companions!”

OOC -
    I've been waiting to introduce the other party forever! Matt, William, go ahead and post your characters on the character sheet thread whenever you're ready. I'll get them added to the quick sheet sooner than later!

Post away everyone!
    Last edited by Tauren_Kai-Jere; 05-26-2015 at 11:47 PM.
    Head Moderator &

Ulin stood bolt straight, hair prickling in an odd sort of detachment. He’d not slept the past 24 hours. In truth, knowing his new “condition,” he had no need for it. And so he wrote. Finding a desk, the sorcerer copied down his adventures of the last ten-day, sparing no detail and informing his own opinions on every facet of the journey. When Loren retrieved him, he was perhaps halfway through his work. He rose, feeling no wariness. Though he still knew deep meditation was necessary for his spellcraft, the time was dreamless and contemplative. He was changed. An abomination? Perhaps.

Regardless, seeing Bhatair was a welcome site, though it looked as if the dwarf had aged a few decades. Had a mission gone wrong? Was the priest stranded along the River for an expanse of years? Ulin shrugged inwardly.

But it was seeing a younger and perhaps evil version of the woman Usha that brought back a bit of feeling for Ulin. The past 24 hours, he’d felt alien, but emotion slapped him like a wet blanket. Of course the Wayfarer would do this! First Goldmoon, and now a mirrored version of his mother. He grit his teeth, fighting back more than a bit of anger. He exhaled harshly, expelling the fit. Walking forward, Ulin extended his hand to Bhatair.

“It’s good to see you again,” he said. “So you are the Others, eh? I am sure you’ve seen your fair share of action…how long were you stranded Bhatair,” he asked, presumptuous of the dwarf’s aged complexion.

OOC: I am pretty sure outsiders don’t sleep, Dave. Of course Ulin still requires 8 hours of rest for spellcasting. 
    -Dragonlance Nexus Social Media Manager-
    GM - ICRP: Star Wars - Dawn of Defiance

Usha strode to the fore, brushing past Downfall. The steel cap on the end of her ornate staff hammered the floor, joining in the rapid staccato of her high-heeled boots. She tugged the hood of her cloak away with her free hand, revealing a tumble of golden-blonde hair.

"Bhatair," she chided the Dwarf, her voice rich and dark like a mug of tarbean tea. "Do you know this beautiful boy?" Golden eyes took in Ulin's full height.
    Dragonlanceforums.com Moderater - To be one, ask one!

Do you love the Dragonlace Forums? Do they provide you with hours of entertainment? Why not donate? Keep the hamsters running. Ask me how!

“Aye! Ulin and I beat up a dream together once,” Bhatair told Usha, laughing at the ridiculous nature of the statement. “It was a really bad dream though. Nearly killed that version of Waylorn as I recall.”

The dwarf's word trailed off as he remembered the senses addling battle in the Guardian's shrine against the animate dream conjured by Waylorn Wyvernsbane's awakening. He gave Ulin a sad smile and shook his hand firmly with one of his own. The dwarf's hand felt like one meaty callous to the sorcerer.

“I've been at this probably about as long as ye have. A tenday or two. One long bloody tenday,” he said.
    Last edited by Tauren_Kai-Jere; 05-27-2015 at 05:52 PM.
    Head Moderator &

Usha didn't take her eyes off of Ulin.

"My, my," purred the wizard. "He'll have to tell me all about it, won't he, Downfall?"
    Dragonlanceforums.com Moderater - To be one, ask one!

Do you love the Dragonlace Forums? Do they provide you with hours of entertainment? Why not donate? Keep the hamsters running. Ask me how!

Loren's eyes narrowed as he watched the newcomers. He knew the meaning of the black robes, and his hands immediately went to his sword. As much as he respected Ulin, that respect did not extend to those magicians who chose to wear the black. The others he didn't know, but he didn't like the company they kept. Reaching to his medallion of faith, Loren prayed to Mishakal to judge their hearts for ill intent.

OOC:
    Detect Evil on the bunch please.

Characters: