Page 1 of 93 123451151 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 926

Thread: WotR Chapter 1: The Worldwound Incursion

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    The Land of Ice & Snow (Northern MN)
    Posts
    4,978

    Default WotR Chapter 1: The Worldwound Incursion

    Wrath of the Righteous
    The Worldwound Incursion

    Kenabres


    For several weeks, excitement had been building in Kenabres - Armasse was coming! Traditionally an opportunity for scholars and priests to come together to study the lessons of history from wars past, since Aroden's death, this holy day had become more about training commoners in weaponry, choosing squires, and ordaining new priests. Over time, Armasse had grown to encompass jousting competitions, mock duels, battle reenactments, and other festival events. In Kenabres, the festival (which takes place on 16 Arodus) was eagerly anticipated, for it provided distractions from the horrors of being on the front line of the war.

    Smiles on faces normally marred by downcast eyes and furrowed brows did wonders for city morale in the weeks leading up to the event. Armasse was a citywide celebration, but the majority of the events, including its jousting matches and other entertainments, took place at Clydwell Plaza, just west of the cathedral.

    Armasse officially began at noon, with the blessing of the festival by Lord Hulrun himself, ruler of Kenabres. The crowd gathered in Clydwell Plaza quieted as the aged inquisitor took the stage, clad in shining, resplendent armor. He cleared his throat, but just as he was about to speak, a bright light shone from the west, as if the sun were rising from the wrong direction. Hurlun’s shadow fell huge and distorted across the cathedral’s façade. A moment later, the sound of a thunderous explosion ripped through the air and earth, along with a violent tremor.

    To the west, the fortress known as the Kite – the location of Kenabres’ Wardstone – had vanished. In its place, a brilliant plume of red fire, lightning, and smoke erupted into the heavens.

    A moment later, a powerful roar accompanied a welcome sight rising from the crowd – Kenabres’ greatest guardian, the ancient silver dragon Terendelev, who had until that moment been attending the opening ceremony disguised as a human. Above, another form appeared, as nightmarish as the dragon was breathtaking. A humanoid shape three times the size of any man, with skin coated in fire and lightning, gripping a flaming sword and whip. The creature’s identity was immediately obvious: Khorramzedeh, the Storm King of the Worldwound, had come to Kenabres!

    As the ground continued to shake and disgorge demons into the streets, the dragon and the balor lord clashed above. The fight was over in a few harrowing moments, as the balor cut deep into Terendelev’s body, swooping down to strike the dragon and arresting her charge. A few more blows, and the titanic duo spiraled downward toward the crowd.



    The sight of the dragon smashing into the façade of the Cathedral of St. Clydwell was one no witness would ever forget. At that moment, a titanic demon erupted at the far end of the plaza, reducing several buildings to ruins as it smashed into this world. The rift it created shot across the plaza, and this time there was no escape – it opened below the feet of those gathered, angling away into darkness.

    Even as the unsuspecting victims fell, the dragon noticed their plight. Though she saw death standing over her, she seized this final chance to save a few more souls. After she uttered a few arcane words and stretched out a bleeding talon, they felt her magic take hold of them, slowing their plummet into the darkness as if they were feathers falling into a pit. Yet the fall remained as inexorable, and as they drifted into the depths, the last thing everyone saw was the Storm King standing before the ancient silver dragon, his sword lashing out and cleaving full through her neck. As her severed head fell, the rift above them slammed shut, and the light of the world above was gone.

    ***

    When the dust and rubble finally settled, and the fallen were able to gather their senses, they found themselves in a vast underground cavern. The ceiling and walls recede into darkness. On one side, the wall had collapsed in an enormous mound of rubble – here and there the arms and legs of victims who did not survive the fall protruded. However, several other forms began to move as well, brushing the dirt and dust off of their bodies.

    A male human, dressed in once resplendent attire, grumbled and complained audibly about his predicament, demanding that someone lend him aid in returning to the surface, promising a hefty reward to do so. A young woman wearing leather armor with a short bow and quiver slung over her shoulder had dragged herself from the rubble. She tended to her leg with building concern, indicating that something had happened to it during the fall. Another survivor appeared to be an elven man, dressed in flowing robes, and holding a tall staff. His head was bandaged, fully so that his eyes were covered. He appeared to be feeling his way through the rubble with his staff as though his eyes were not functioning.

    In the back of the dark cavern, a disturbing shape loomed. Nearly the size of a horse, what appeared to be an immense black spider crouched silent and still on the ground.

    OOC
    This area is devoid of light, and the above descriptions assume that someone uses a source of light for those that do not have Darkvision.

    The walls and floor of this cavern have the rough texture of natural stone. The distant squeaks of bats echo broadly, suggesting that this underground space is large and relatively open. Grit and rock dust covers everything. Clumps of Stalagmites jut from the ground.
    Last edited by Dorgyn Angylaxe; 03-08-2015 at 11:18 PM.
    Roll Better! Miss Less!

    Family Time Games:
    Boards, Cards, Dice - Games for Everyone!

    Evil is not a condition or a state of being. It is a choice. Hold on to your choice for it is your salvation.



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    NeverNeverLand
    Posts
    1,477

    Default Fhaora Songsteel

    pally.jpg


    The inky blackness was driven away from an extremely beautiful human woman.

    In her hand was a gold-tipped alchemical device that seemed to shine like a rod of sunlight. It was tied to a cord, attached to her belt. She let it drop and hang, to free up her hand.

    Her black hair was cropped short and her lack of makeup accentuated her beauty. She wore a breastplate and a red, velvet cape hung from her shoulders. On her arm, she donned a well made shield emblazoned with the image of a sword with a halo of light behind it.

    iomedae symbol.jpg

    A well-crafted longsword hung in a baldric at her hip. On her other hip, hung a bundle of chakrams and a morningstar.

    The woman dropped her backpack on the ground as she sadly surveyed the scene. She seemed to be quietly muttering a prayer.

    Her eyes and expression brightened as she saw one of the other people that were trapped with her. A tiny smile came over her lips as she declared,
    "Iomedae be praised! Celtar, is that you?"

    She then noticed the dark mass of spidery legs.

    She drew her longsword dramatically as she spun into a defensive stance.

    "Get behind me!" She bellowed

    OOC
    Spark a Sunrod (tied to my belt by a cord) - sheds normal light in a 30-foot radius and increases the light level by one step for an additional 30 feet beyond that (duration 4 hours)
    Draws her longsword
    Last edited by Drakestendor; 03-09-2015 at 11:50 AM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    3,135

    Default

    Coming to his senses, Celtar's first thought was that it was dark and he could not see. Then, there was light. The light of a sunrod. The hand attached to it belonged to his good friend Fhaora.

    "Yes Fhaora, it is I," Celtar replied. "As for now I am unharmed."

    Celtar took a moment to survey the scene before he began to act. Looking around at the others in the room, he tried to assess their statuses. Having served in a house of healing, Celtar had picked up some knowledge about first aid and triage.

    "Are any of you injured?" the sorcerer asked as he took a step closer to Fhaora.

    Next, he loaded a bolt into his crossbow. A plan to increase the available light forming in his head, Celtar then began the ritual of spellcasting.

    He searched with in himself for what he had learned was his arcane fire. It was alive and burning, if only a bit dim. He focused on the fire and with drew a small ember of power. He coaxed the ember of power up from his center and out to the tip of his finger. Celtar mutter a brief word of magic, "Shirak" and touched his finger to the quill of his crossbow bolt. The ember of power lept from his finger to the feathers of the bolt and illuminated the area around him.

    OOC
    Heal check if appropriate to assess injuries to others (not sure if this is an action or not) Roll: 6 +5 modifier = 11

    5 Ft Step closer to Fhaora
    Move Action: Arm Crossbow
    Standard Action: Cast light on feathers of crossbow bolt.
    Krieger Kegsplitter, male Neidar Cleric 9 of Reorx (luck, strength(resolve)) - Hourglass in the Sky
    Celtar Wardenson, male human sorcerer (celestial bloodline) 4 -Wrath of the Righteous

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    The Land of Ice & Snow (Northern MN)
    Posts
    4,978

    Default

    At the sound of Fhaora's and Celtar's voices, and the sudden appearance of the light sources, Anevia, Aravashnial, and Horgus, turned to face the others gathered in the vast cavern. A cursory glance at the woman revealed that her leg was broken, and she leaned heavily on her bow using it as a crutch of sorts. Aravashnial's eyes were bandaged, possibly from a previous wound, or one from his fall during the death of Terendelev. Horgus, complaining the entire time, seemed unscathed, albeit bumped and bruised from his descent into the darkness below the streets of Kenabres.

    Although there were others present, keeping to the shadows, or yet to regain their senses, they remained silent momentarily as they adjusted to their surroundings.*

    OOC
    * referring to the PC's who have yet to post as I wanted to get the map up as I finally completed it today! Fhaora & Celtar, please refrain from anything further other than speaking until the others have a chance to act.

    Although there haven't been proper introductions, I will be using the NPC's names to make things easier for everyone involved [especially me!]

    Celtar - Heal Check 11, fails but the other's injuries are obvious. He just can't determine to what extent the injuries are.

    [Light Sources: Sunrod (Fhaora), Crossbow Bolt (Celtar)]

    Roll Better! Miss Less!

    Family Time Games:
    Boards, Cards, Dice - Games for Everyone!

    Evil is not a condition or a state of being. It is a choice. Hold on to your choice for it is your salvation.



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Wild, Wonderful, West Virginia!
    Posts
    12,527

    Default

    Blazing lights sizzled blindingly from the darkness, and Florence shielded his eyes from the suddenness of it all. He clawed himself from the ground to his feet and brushed at his boiled leather. A small red sponge ball he'd been juggling for some kids in the market before the chaos rolled off of him into the darkness.

    These two must know each other.

    The sight of the spider distracted him from those who called themselves Fhaora and Celtar. His eyes quickly scanned across to the others who had fallen in the massive collapse as well, and it was then Florence saw the woman with the broken leg. Not one to hesitate to come to the aid of a damsel in distress, he cautiously slid passed some of the others, putting himself at risk of gaining the attention of the spider, his eyes warily upon it as he smoothed across the cavern floor.

    He reached her and her broken leg, and with a small nod of chivalry turned to stand protectively in front of her, should the spider come to devour her first. And if the spider spun its web upon them all, at least he'd be wrapped up with such a lovely sight. Wait, was it...?

    His eyes flashed back at her but for a moment. No. It wasn't. Different color hair. He must have hit his head during the fall. He gave her a second nod - reassuring, but inwardly awkward, before turning back with eyes zeroed on the spider.

    OOC
    moves 30 feet to square SE of Anevia.
    standard: Go into total defense.
    I know Kenabres is real big, but for the fun of it, as a Bard, I'm gonna roll Knowledge (local) checks on everyone to notice if I've seen them around or know who they might be or by off chance their names. Oh, and also identify their race if appropriate.
    Knowledge (local) check on Hael d20+6= 9.
    Knowledge (local) check on Fhaora d20+6= 16.
    Knowledge (local) check on Celtar d20+6= 17.
    Knowledge (local) check on Evelyn d20+6= 23. Uh, with that high of a roll I'll accompany it with a Knowledge (planes) check on Evelyn d20+6= 24.
    Knowledge (local) check on Anevia d20+6= 17, realizes its not the woman from his childhood chance encounter lol.
    Knowledge (local) check on Aravaschnial d20+6= 20.
    Knowledge (local) check on Horgus d20+6= 19.
    Last edited by Bong Bellowsmoke; 03-10-2015 at 12:48 AM.
    The Red Condor shrieked at Sir Darvig in full wrath. Wings flapped storms of fire across the sky. "The Mage-God grows in power swifter than it appears to Paladine. This I know. A warning," Sargonnas told Darvigl, "for you to give to Paladine in your prayers."

    “I will,” Darvig uttered.

  6. #6

    Default

    Hael's mind was overwhelmed by it all, her consciousness haunted by the sudden appearance of such vile creatures. Waking to the sound of a demanding voice, she began to pull herself up from the rubble, only able to picture the grand dragon's last act.

    Her eyes squinted as light pierced the darkness, confirming what she had been dreading. Though the light was a distance from her, the elf's eyes could make out shapes in the rubble--terrible shapes of battered bodies mostly covered by dirt and stone.

    The sound of a blade being drawn forced Hael from her momentary trance, drawing her attention to the arachnid form creeping from the darkness.

    She rose a hand to the leaf that swayed between her earthy headdress, a whispered word illuminating the leaf. A halo of light spread twenty feet from her, joining with the light of the man's bolt, reaching out to the cavern walls.

    She silently drew her bow, studying the arachnid.

    OOC
    Cast Light on a leaf/part of her clothing
    Perception check: 14 + 3 = 17
    Knowledge Nature check: 16 + 6 = 22

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Any jail cell of your local town
    Posts
    4,363

    Default

    Evelyn was surprised at the festivities of Kenabres in such a dread place. I guess even in the worst of places people need something to take their minds off it. She thought. As she milled about, she saw many people and even noticed a juggler entertaining some children. That was when it happened. She was reminded why she had to keep on edge, keep her wits. The fight above the city with the great silver dragon and balor was something from a bard's tale. Some people ran, and some were too amazed to run, standing in awe of the two mighty presences.

    When they crashed, Evelyn was one who just stood and watched, unable to make her feet move and was enveloped in darkness. The last thing she recognized was the dragon saving her life along with many others with it's spell.....

    Darkness.....

    She struggled to get to her hands and knees, shaking her head. The moans of others told her she was not alone. Slowly she opened her eyes, the black and white of her darkvision showed a vast cavern. Several people quickly got light to illuminate the area. She shied away from the brightness for a second to let her eyes adjust. She saw many people with injuries and her first thought was to run and help them until the woman next to her drew her longsword dramatically as she spun into a defensive stance.

    "Get behind me!" She bellowed

    What was happening? She looked past the woman with the red cape and saw the threat. A large spider loomed in the darkness, surely looking to take one them into the blackness and feed. She hoped the wounded were well enough that they wouldn't die, if they didn't kill this creature there would be no time to heal the wounded. She stood and drew her scimitar.

    "I am with you!" She said with a nod as she stepped next to the armored woman.

    OOC: Spellcraft to recognize spell cast by Terendelev 1d20(16)+5= 21 success, knows it was feather fall

    Knowledge (religion) on symbol on the shield of the armored woman, 1d20(10)+5= 15

    Move action to stand, second move action to draw her scimitar, 5' step next to Fhaora
    Spasseltock Nimblefingers kender CN (with good tendencies) Rogue/13, Handler/ 8
    Shayle Wist'lya Bothan Noble 3/Scoundrel 1/Scout 3/Infiltrator 2 Star Wars: Dawn of Defiance
    Evelyn Morningory Aasimar Warpriest of Sarenrae 2 Wrath of the Righteous
    Virgil Halard Human Ranger 4/Fighter 2/Rogue 2/Knight of the Lily 1 Hourglass in the Sky

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    NeverNeverLand
    Posts
    1,477

    Talking Fhaora Songsteel

    "Greetings, sister of battle!" Fhaora declared, feeling embolstered by another person at her side.

    OOC
    Perception for her holy symbol d20(15) + 0 = 15
    Knowledge religion d20(14) + 1 = 15

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    The Land of Ice & Snow (Northern MN)
    Posts
    4,978

    Default

    Springing into action, Florence moved into position between the giant spider and the woman with the injured leg. As he got closer, his mind swirled with memories of stories and rumors of the three faces behind him, as well as the others gathered around in the massive cavern below the streets he had called home.

    The injured woman, her name being Anevia Tirabade if his recollection was correct, and he was fairly certain of it, was a semi-retired adventurer of some repute, who had settled in Kenabres after falling in love with a crusader named Irabeth. She was known to be tasked by the Eagle Watch to complete secret missions where leaving no trace behind was desired. Her wife was a well-known crusader, and a paladin of Iomedae. The two were an odd pair, but it seemed to work for them, and he was no one to judge.

    Florence had spotted the blind elven man, not blind at the time, in the market place on many occasion. He had him pegged for being a travelling wizard merchant. He had been a bit mysterious, keeping to himself unless conducting business around town. His blindness was something recent, possibly from his fall into darkness, or maybe even just prior. The bard wasn’t certain of that detail.

    Horgus Gwerm was well known throughout Kenabres as a crass, acerbic aristocrat from one of the minor noble families of the town. He had money, and was quick to let others know, for he would throw his importance around like a dwarf slings iron ingots into forge fires. Rumor had it that Horgus had recently been suspected of contributing funds to members of the Worldwound forces, but had been expunged of any wrongdoing. It had actually been proven to the contrary, for he had been discovered to be a supporter of the crusades, but kept this knowledge quiet. At least, that was the scuttlebutt.

    He recognized the woman dressed in green leaves as an elf, and the young woman in a breastplate with a shield as human, possibly a paladin. The young man looked to be an arcanist, but the other woman was more intriguing. She held herself in a manner that spoke of an age beyond her appearance. As he studied her, he realized that she was angel-touched, possibly of divine birth.

    Adding her own light to the dark cavern, Hael studied the giant vermin before her with well-trained elven eyes. Her mind searched for a reason why the spider remained crouching rather than spreading its legs defensively, ready to pounce or throw a web at its potential prey. As she studied the arachnid, her druidic training spoke to her. The last time she had encountered a spider in that position, albeit a much smaller version of the beast before them, it had been dead, its legs pulled together in death. She felt strongly that the thing was not much of a threat.

    Recognizing the symbol of Iomedae on the young crusader’s shield, Evelyn stepped forward, ready to bolster their defenses against the lurking arachnid, her confusion dissipating like fog on the breeze of an early morning.

    Fhaora noticed the symbol of the Dawnflower on the armor of the woman at her side, and felt relief in knowing that her fellow defender followed the teachings of Sarenrae, known to be an ally of her own patron, Iomedae.

    ***

    Oblivious to the potential threat before them, the blind elven man remained quiet, seemingly listening to the others as they prepared to battle some unknown threat. He fumbled through a pouch at his belt, seemingly making ready to perform some action that seemed strange for a blind man.

    The aristocrat, grumbling about how everything bad on Golarion seemed to always happen to him, suddenly spotted the threat. Realizing that the vermin seemed to be staring straight at him with all of its vile, insectoid eyes, he went silent, freezing in place, and tried to be as inconspicuous as possible. Little did the others know it, this was the quietest Horgus Gwerm had ever been in his life.

    Anevia, not impressed with the young, hansom man’s attempt to protect her, balanced on her good foot and raised her bow. Swiftly knocking an arrow, she let it fly, the arrow striking the spider on one of his legs. The giant spider didn’t flinch or move, but just lingered in the shadows.

    “Huh,” Anevia blurted out, “That didn’t seem to faze that thing at all!”

    Horgus let out an audible breath, having held it at the sight of the spider.

    OOC
    Florence: moves into position, takes full defense. Knowledge local on Hael, fail – but obviously recognizes her as elven. Knowledge local on Fhaora, success – knows her to be human, possibly a paladin from her attire and demeanor. Knowledge local on Celtar, success – knows him to be human, possibly a wizard or spell caster of sorts from his attire and stature. Knowledge local on Evelyn, success – thinks her to be human, albeit different. Knowledge plains on Evelyn, success! - thinks she is of angel born – aasimar. Knowledge local on all three NPC’s, success as per the prose above.

    Hael: casts Light. Perception Check on spider with Knowledge Nature, both success – believes spider is dead and not a threat.

    Evelyn: Knowledge religion, success – recognizes symbol of Iomedae. Draws weapon and moves into position next to Fhaora.

    Fhaora: Perception check and Knowledge religion on Evelyn’s holy symbol, success – recognizes it as a symbol of Sarenrae.

    Aravashnial: move action to draw fourth spell components, readies and action to cast a spell.

    Horgus: Perception to spot arachnid, 18 - success. Takes full defense.

    Anevia: Acrobatics Check to balance on one leg, 16 (-4 broken leg), success! Standard action to shoot spider with bow, 17 – hits! Spider does not react to damage.

    We are not in Initiative!

    Post at will!


    Roll Better! Miss Less!

    Family Time Games:
    Boards, Cards, Dice - Games for Everyone!

    Evil is not a condition or a state of being. It is a choice. Hold on to your choice for it is your salvation.



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    3,135

    Default

    Celtar watched as the woman with the injured leg fired an arrow into the giant spider. The creature did not react at all, which Celtar assumed meant that it was already dead. I wonder what killed it?

    Setting that notion aside and with the immediate danger seemingly gone, Celtar surveyed the group again. An odd assortment of people had fallen down the crevice. There was his friend from the orphanage Fhaora. He was reassured to see her, seemingly well.

    The man with the bandage over his eyes intrigued Celtar. Approaching respectfully, Celtar spoke to the man. "Hello Sir. Is there any assistance I can provide you?" he asked while trying to assess the man before him.

    OOC

    On Aravashnial
    Knowledge (arcana) (8)+8= 16
    Spellcraft (9)+7=16
    Diplomacy (11)+4=15
    Last edited by Henrad; 03-13-2015 at 05:21 AM. Reason: add diplomacy
    Krieger Kegsplitter, male Neidar Cleric 9 of Reorx (luck, strength(resolve)) - Hourglass in the Sky
    Celtar Wardenson, male human sorcerer (celestial bloodline) 4 -Wrath of the Righteous

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •