Thread: Steel Legion 5e?

Default Steel Legion 5e?

I've been working on adapting Key of Destiny to 5th Edition for a new group of players who have never done the adventure before but don't wish to return to the 3.x game.

One of my players would like to be a Steel Legionnaire. Sadly, so far I haven't been able to find any material on Steel Legion for 5e.

I assume that it would be an archetype for whichever class took it. In this case it's a fighter.

Here's what I have so far.

Steel Legionnaire (Fighter Archetype)
    Steel Legionnaires are members of the Legion of Steel. They are centrally guided by one phrase: “All we have is each other.” They also follow the Legacy, which includes the ideals of service to others, integrity, loyalty, valor, and justice.
    Not all members of the Legion of Steel adopt this archetype, and rank within the organization does not depend on having this or any other legion archetype.

Legion Knowledge.
    ----------------------------------
    Starting at 3rd Level, you have learned tricks and tips from your steel legion brethren choose 3 skills, you become proficient in them.
    Also, you may choose one favored enemy from the following list of foes of the Legion of Steel: Chromatic Dragons, Draconians, Dragon Spawn, Goblins, Knights of Solomnia, Knights of Neraka, and Minotaur’s. You have advantage on Wisdom (Survival) checks to track your favored enemy, as well as intelligence checks to recall information about them. When you gain this feature, you also learn the language of your favored enemy, provided it is not one you already know.

We Have Each Other.
    -----------------------------------
    Starting at 3rd Level. When the Legionnaire makes an attack against an enemy that has made an attack against one of his or her allies this turn that attack has advantage.

The Legions Reputation.
    -----------------------------------
    Starting at 3rd Level. The Steel Legion has a reputation as defender of the commoner. When dealing with the working class or poor individuals Charisma (Persuasion) checks have advantage.

I'm working on this as I go, it's clearly in Beta but I wanted to share and see if anyone else had come up with anything.
    Long Live: Dragonlance

No need to make it an archetype. Customize a background for it, and play most of it from there. Rogues, rangers, sorcerers, and fighters can all make use of that.

The trick, I think, is to forget the 3.5 approach of needing to build in special abilities and tricks into classes, and move a lot of it off into Ideals, Bonds, backgrounds, and so forth.

Cheers,
    Cam
    Moderator | Member - Whitestone Council
    Visit Atlas Games for information about Gloom, Once Upon a Time, Ars Magica, Over the Edge, Feng Shui, and many other card games & RPGs!

Quote Originally Posted by Cam Banks View Post
    No need to make it an archetype. Customize a background for it, and play most of it from there. Rogues, rangers, sorcerers, and fighters can all make use of that.

The trick, I think, is to forget the 3.5 approach of needing to build in special abilities and tricks into classes, and move a lot of it off into Ideals, Bonds, backgrounds, and so forth.
    I originally designed it as an archetype simply because it felt like it should be one, but I could see background playing a more important role simply because the Legion isn't an official knightly order the way Nerakans and Solomnic is.

You're probably right, it's a hold-over from 3.x to immediately design it into the class rather than let it be a place for RP.

I'll start workup on the Background.

Quote Originally Posted by Cam Banks View Post
    You could make a Steel Legionnaire background, which would work well for the idea that any class can be a Legionnaire.

However, I think the faction write-ups as presented in the DMG is a bit more accurate for DL's organizations. I've got one for the WoHS in the works and would love to do the Kingfishers too.

Agreed. This is something I struggle with at times too. I want to carry over mechanics and concepts from prior editions.

One thing I learned about game design many years ago is that when you design something for a new system, you have to look through the "lens" of that system.
    Trampas Whiteman
    ---DragonHelm--->

Long Live the Lance!

"Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Dragonlance Nexus!"
    -David "Big Mac" Shepheard

Here's what I've got so far. My player is fairly pleased by it and she's writing her defining moments, etc etc out to fit her characters background.

I was going to do the same thing with the Order of High Sorcery but with their moon connection I decided I liked having it be it's own school of magic type deal.

Steel Legionnaire (Background)
    Members of the Steel Legion come from all walks of life. Some are disillusioned knights, some are common men who want to stand up to anyone who opposes the people. Regardless of where they come from, all members of the Legion of Steel work together under the motto: All we have is each other.

Skills: Survival and choose one other skill.
    Tools: Disguise Kit.
    Languages: Choose one: Solomnic, Draconic, Nerakese, Goblin, Ogre
    Equipment: Disguise Kit, Steel Legion Medallion, Common Clothes, Chalk, Shovel, Pouch with 10gp

Feature: The Peoples Hospitality.
    The Legion’s reputation as heroes of the common people allows you to find shelter; a place to hide, rest, and recuperate among the people. Unless you have shown to be a danger to them, they will shield you from the law or anyone else searching for you, though they will not lay their lives down for you.

Choose a defining event.
    Choose a personality trait.
    Choose an Ideal.
    Choose a bond.
    Choose a flaw.
    Last edited by Roderrik_Turnkey; 02-17-2015 at 03:21 PM. Reason: added equipment list

I'm super excited to run KoD using 5e rules, going to try to keep a regular campaign journal.

I have something for 5e, but it's more of a faction than a background. Honestly, I imported the Harpers factions from forgotten realms. :-)

That way any race, class can join. and you don't need to go through the misery of changing backgrounds when you aren't a legionaire and you later join the legionaire.
    Last edited by Weldon Chen; 02-17-2015 at 12:00 PM.
    Fanwank
    Formerly from Wikipedia, circa 2006-7,
    A fanwank is [...] an attempt by fans of a work of fiction to explain or justify plot holes or continuity errors, often through convoluted contrivances...

Factions is an interesting concept. My players and I toyed around with them during our last campaign but we were so embittered by our Adventurers League experience that we don't want anything reminding us of it.

I could see it working though, for groups that are interested in that addition. I'm editing the background to include some equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Roderrik_Turnkey View Post
    Factions is an interesting concept. My players and I toyed around with them during our last campaign but we were so embittered by our Adventurers League experience that we don't want anything reminding us of it.

I could see it working though, for groups that are interested in that addition. I'm editing the background to include some equipment.
    Yeah. The problem with factions is that with league play your faction rules are determined by factors other than the DM. I've seen some very successful faction play where the faction Tiers are like tack-on powers. Right now faction rules in the 5e material has been very light, and nothing overpowering. I've been watching carefully to see if players and DMs naturally "over-faction". It would be a little disconcerting if a player wants a character who's a Half-Silvanesti/Qualinesti wildrunner, Kirah, Cleric of Solinari, Kingfisher knight of solamia, Cleric of the Holy Order of Stars, cell leader of the Legionaire in Palanthas wizard..... There's about six factions all fused together, that can still technically happen for a long-lived elf.

I've seen some people place a limit on factions, such as having one faction every 3 character levels.
    Fanwank
    Formerly from Wikipedia, circa 2006-7,
    A fanwank is [...] an attempt by fans of a work of fiction to explain or justify plot holes or continuity errors, often through convoluted contrivances...

I've borrowed from a good friend of mine for the Wizards of High Sorcery, I'll post what he made soon, our Key of Destiny game starts tonight and my fighter is pretty happy with the background as it stands.

Now to start working on Mystics.