Thread: Using Elements From One Era in Another Era

Default Using Elements From One Era in Another Era

I'm curious to know if you guys have taken elements (or would like to) from one era, and used them in other eras.

For example, have you guys introduced sorcery and mysticism during the Time of Darkness? Do you use the Knights of Takhisis in the War of the Lance? Do Dragonspawn show up in the Chaos War?

How has these continuity changes worked in your games?
    Trampas Whiteman
    ---DragonHelm--->

Long Live the Lance!

"Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Dragonlance Nexus!"
    -David "Big Mac" Shepheard

Verano Guest

As someone who doesn't particularly care for anything past Legends exactly as it's written, there are a lot of things that I take (and plan to take) from one era into another.

The first thing that I changed was the Sorcerer class. With the advent of 3.0, it was part of the core material, and even before the DLCS was released I'd decided how I'd deal with it. In my Dragonlance campaigns (which have all been set during or shortly after the War of the Lance), the Sorcerer is simply a variant on the Wizard: they both have the skill sets, skill points, and weapon and armor proficiencies of the core Wizard, but the Sorcerer focuses on a very small subset of spells in order to be able to cast any of them whenever he chooses while the Wizard learns the broader principles of magic and is capable of casting any spell that he can get into his spellbook provided that he prepares it ahead of time. The Sorcerer doesn't receive the bonus feats that the Wizard does. Among the Orders of High Sorcery, the distinction is noted, but is not a significant point of contention: both types of casters are considered valuable even if each may not understand the mindset of the other. Of course, both take the Test of High Sorcery once they're able to cast 2nd-level spells and before being able to cast 3rd-level spells or face the harsh life of a renegade. For what it's worth, the same goes for every arcane caster in my campaigns, Bards included.

I implemented this change so as not to cut out any of the core material. The only true Sorcerers in my campaigns are draconians, dragons, and other creatures who still have some sort of innate connection to the magic of creation. This would change if the gods of magic left, but the dawning of a 5th age is something I've never reached and something that my player characters might be able to prevent in any case.

I have Key of Destiny and I like the general storyline, but I plan to adapt it to an Ansalon that the gods never left. Thus, I'd need to change some of the locations (there's no Peak of Malystryx, for example) and other details of the module. Like I said above, I also plan to adapt the entire 5th age storyline to something that I find more palatable. I'm sure that most of the elements that are currently in the Age of Mortals will appear in some fashion, but the reasons for their existence and the ways in which they're placed will change significantly.

Sorry if this post doesn't really answer your question. I started out trying to answer it, but got a little sidetracked.

Verano

Master of the Tower of HIgh Sorcery of Long Beach

I for one love to do this, and I think I have been very successfull at incorporating parts of the novels in such a manner that my players often wish the writers had followed my lead on certain area's.

For example, the current "Era" that I have created takes place on the timeline one would get by having read LEGEND OF HUMA and ELVEN NATIONS TRILOGY way back in the early 90's when I first read them and developed my storyline back then.

1) My period has it being Vinas Solamnus rebelled and formed hte Knights of Solamnia 2600 years before the Cataclysm.
    2) the Second DragonWars, including the creation of the Dragon Orbs takes place around that time as well, ending with a "WAR OF THE LANCe" like cease fire, but no actual peace treaty.
    3) As a result, the Dragons are still on Krynn. No DragonLances yet. Huma, and the 3rd Dragon Wars are about 600 years away.
    4) The KinSlayer wars are about to be fought.

I have been very successfull at incorporating the above with things from the books but also unique and individual things as well. My main theme is the other god's of Krynn attempting to set things up for the 3rd Dragon War. For example, I have done a war against the followers of Hiddukel in Northern Ansalon, and then I have set up that the KinSlayer wars were done in part to get so many dead in Southern Ansalon, that after the queen of Darkness is done with Solamnia in the 3rd Dragon war(when it is launched) that there will be enough dead on the plains of Southern Ansalon, that an army of the undead can be launched to subdue southern Ansalon no matter how much damage the queen has taken against Solamnia.

it's all fun.

In my campaigns I don't mind what the official timeline say. For example, in the campaign I'm running a about 10 years before WotL, draconians have already been met by the PCs.
    Unlive long, and prosper

I think I mentioned this in a thread a while back, but it fits here also...

I've just started a WotL campaign setting and something I'm doing in it to get the sorcery concept into the game is based on the idea from the PHB that those with sorcerous powers have draconic blood in their heritage.

Therefore during the WotL the return of the dragons spark a stirring in their blood. Maybe a charater gets attacked by a dragon or a draconian by a bite or claws, and by that it would awaken their sorcerous powers. I'm thinking the magic will be wild in nature. This will spark controversy and distrust between sorcerers and the WoHS.

Another element I'll be introducing is the Knights of the Black Rose, Skull, and Lily about 2 years after the events of Legends. I'll be doing that through Takisis and Soth as I have a story line for Soth's rise to power as a diety.

These are elements I haven't gotten to introduce just yet, but things have been set in motion for the sorcery.

I've more or less thrown cannon to the wind, as far as when primal magic is usable, in my campaign. Therefore Mystics and Sorcerers are an acceptable class during any age. This campaign does not take place on Ansalon or Taladas so I'm not likely to run into any cannon issues either. I've stated that both sorcery and mysticism exsist in all times but with the gods granting divine magic those few practioners of mysticism are mostly druids and rangers. A player who wants to be a true mystic had better give me a darn good reason as to why they use it before I let them. Sorcery is much easier handled. It never went away but has merely passed into forgotten, or forbidden to the wizards, lore. There are a few sects where sorcery is still known and used.
    Pain is good, it let's you know you're alive.

-Kornaith Bladesong
    Silvanesti Dark Elf (Wiz12/WoHS 4/Acm2)

Louisville didn't step into the 20th century, it was tossed, and it's been dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st.

Quote Originally Posted by Valharic
    I've just started a WotL campaign setting and something I'm doing in it to get the sorcery concept into the game is based on the idea from the PHB that those with sorcerous powers have draconic blood in their heritage.

Therefore during the WotL the return of the dragons spark a stirring in their blood. Maybe a charater gets attacked by a dragon or a draconian by a bite or claws, and by that it would awaken their sorcerous powers. I'm thinking the magic will be wild in nature. This will spark controversy and distrust between sorcerers and the WoHS.
    Interesting. Will sorcerers find a place in the world with the WoHS around? How is sorcery wild? And will you be using mysticism as well?

BTW, like your sig.
    Trampas Whiteman
    ---DragonHelm--->

Long Live the Lance!

"Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Dragonlance Nexus!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonhelm
    Interesting. Will sorcerers find a place in the world with the WoHS around? How is sorcery wild? And will you be using mysticism as well?

BTW, like your sig.
    It remains to be seen. If it does, it will be a long, tough, bloody battle since the WoHS will see to it that primal sorcery will not advance. I already have a LG Silvanesti Mage PC who has witnessed a goblin sorcerer, and is very put out about it. I have a feeling that he will be leading a fight against it. Yet there is another PC in the party who will be quietly discovering his sorcerous power. It makes for an interesting issue within the party.

Why "wild"? I'm just pulling that from the DLCS page 93, where a section is titled Primal Sorcery ("Wild Magic").

I've never been a fan of mysticism and probably won't use that. I guess I'm just to old school about the power of the gods and granting divine favor. Short of a mortal becoming some level of diety status I really can't see mortals having there own divine power.

As for the sig.... The best show that never was, can't wait for September!

Quote Originally Posted by Valharic
    Why "wild"? I'm just pulling that from the DLCS page 93, where a section is titled Primal Sorcery ("Wild Magic").
    *nods* I wasn't sure if you meant the natural magic of the world, Chaos-enhanced magic, or something else.

As for the sig.... The best show that never was, can't wait for September!
    Damn straight.
    Trampas Whiteman
    ---DragonHelm--->

Long Live the Lance!