Page 3 of 64 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 637

Thread: COTE: The Adventure!

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,610

    Post Gnome Man's Land? [Aleph/Fuego]

    Quote Originally Posted by Simoriah View Post
    Fuego: "But I'm bringing my wand."
    "Of course! I'd be worried if you didn't," Aleph said, in high humor now that his plan was back on track.

    TEN MINUTES LATER...

    Fuego arrived at the tower's backdoor in time to see his master with a roll of parchment that curled up and dissolved in magic blue flames. From the floor a thick white mist arose in the shape of a magnificent horse. Its insubstantial hooves made no sound as it stamped. There was a customized double saddle with stirrups on its back and a bridle in its teeth. Its mane and tail were neatly pleated with golden ribbons.

    "We ride in style!" the mage announced. He cast a levitation spell on Fuego and then himself with a flat-handed gesture to raise and lower them into their saddles. "Tally-ho!"

    His gripped a brass key in his spell pouch and uttered "Apus!" to open the door and "Nepo!" to close it with a quick cantrip. "We'll be back in time for tea," he promised, "and of course we won't want to miss your ten o'clock meeting with your counselors. You'll want to do me proud in those contests, win the right to escort the Everflame back to town, eh? Ah, to be young again!" He nudged the horse into a gallop. "Hold tight!"

    They managed to avoid the eyes of most of the townsfolk by skirting Kassen's border wall running behind some of the larger buildings. Captain Wisslo of the Watch nodded to them both as they passed his guard tower and continued on their way, this time with the border wall between them and all of Kassen.

    The astral steed stirred up no dust in its path as it headed for bank of the Tourondel River.

    "We're off to Finnegan's Island," Aleph announced. "There's rumors of a..." he chose his words carefully, "...nuisance there. Clearly it is our civic duty to take care of it."

    The isolated isle was the final resting place of gnome bard extraordinaire Finnegan Ozziwig---another former companion of Ekat Kassen. Like the town's founder he had died defending Kassen from a vicious warlord's attack over one hundred and seventy years ago. As a historical landmark second only to Ekat's tomb, the whole island and his mausoleum were generally off-limits. Except, that is, with an officially stamped writ of permission from Mayor Zolas.


    OOC:

    Aleph Caster Level Roll [Magic Rule] to Cast Phantom Steed from Scroll: d20 (13) +4 = 17, Success! Lasts 7 hours.

    Aleph casts Levitate twice (uses up two Level 2 spells).

    Aleph casts cantrip Open/Close.
    Last edited by UngainlyDodge; 11-07-2014 at 02:05 AM. Reason: time
    "Fall into my pit trap, shame on you. Fill my pit trap with bloodthirsty sharp-toothed goblins with abyssal templates, shame on me." ---SuperBall

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    522

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UngainlyDodge View Post
    TEN MINUTES LATER...

    The astral steed stirred up no dust in its path as it headed for bank of the Tourondel River.

    "We're off to Finnegan's Island," Aleph announced. "There's rumors of a..." he chose his words carefully, "...nuisance there. Clearly it is our civic duty to take care of it..."
    Fuego's stomach rolled at the words "civic duty." Those words had never preceded something safe. Or clean.
    Last edited by Simoriah; 11-07-2014 at 01:10 PM. Reason: shortened quote
    "Friends don't let friends mend evil altars." - UngainlyDodge
    "The goblin died as he had lived, ignorant of what was going on and generally outraged." - UngainlyDodge

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,610

    Post Through the River On a Horse With No Name [Fuego/Aleph]

    Quote Originally Posted by Simoriah View Post
    Fuego's stomach rolled at the words "civic duty." Those words had never preceded something safe. Or clean.
    When Aleph urged his phantom horse to step into the water its hoof sank. "Whoops!" He jerked on the reins till the stallion backed onto solid ground again. "Not so powerful a scroll as I thought. Walking on water, not included."

    Two human fishermen a good distance away caught sight of Fuego's hair. The younger one pointed excitedly and cried the dreaded nickname "The Firekin!" before speaking rapidly to the other. They both began wading hastily to shore.

    The old mage saw an excellent learning opportunity. "Fans of yours headed this way, I think, perhaps two minutes out. And they've been handling worms and flies and such, oh my. So young Fuego, keeping in mind that our horse cannot swim without getting us wet, and that my levitation spell is only good for moving up and down, what's our quickest way to cross to Finnegan's Island, eh?"
    Last edited by UngainlyDodge; 11-17-2014 at 10:28 PM.
    "Fall into my pit trap, shame on you. Fill my pit trap with bloodthirsty sharp-toothed goblins with abyssal templates, shame on me." ---SuperBall

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    NeverNeverLand
    Posts
    1,448

    Default Mingy Glasschewer

    Mingy felt the pain from the bear's attack and couldn't contain the anger within her. Mondo smelled the blood and his hunger took over. They both started frothing at the mouth in unison.

    Mingy tried to yell "Grampa and laundry woman, get to safety!" but all that came out was "Aghh uh agh uh! Wagh ungh gragh ungh!"

    She and Mondo both attacked like they were one lashing, frothy, flailing creature made of steel, teeth, and claws. Fur, halfling hair, and blood flew like a chinchilla taking a blood and fur bath.

    OOC
    Mingy rages +4 str and +4 con, +2 Will saves, -2 AC, and +2 Hit points
    *Mondo gains a + 2 str because Mingy is raging*

    Mondo rages +6* str and +4 con, +2 Will saves, -2 AC, and +4 Hit points

    Mingy attacks :d20(15) + 5(str) + 1(base attack bonus) + 1(masterwork sword) + 1(size) = 22
    Damage: d10(8) + 7(str X 1.5)= 15

    Mondo attacks:
    claw #1 d20(5) + 1(base attack bonus) + 5(str) = 11
    claw #2 d20(10) + 1(base attack bonus) + 6(str) =17
    Claw #1 damage: d4(1) + 5(str)=6
    Claw #2 damage: d4(4) + 5(str)=9
    Last edited by Drakestendor; 11-09-2014 at 01:08 PM.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,610

    Post Sarha's Second Turn, Week 1

    THORA: "So you'd have me come to the point of my visit, eh? You and I aren't going to my forge this morning... We're going to the cemetery...bring whatever holy gear you can...On the way you can tell me what you remember about the possible uses of a corpse in ritual magic? Consider it part of your Apprentice Day test."

    DM Post for Sarha:

    Sarha obediently gathered her adventuring equipment from her lock box. Felix and Farook encouraged their students to keep their gear on them at all times in case of an emergency, everything from spare clothes to magic elixirs.

    The tengu made sure to feed Jax, the jumping mouse kept in Brother Alok's sleeping quarters, before joining her dwarven mentor in the entrance way of the All Faiths Temple.

    "You asked me about ritual uses for corpses..." Sarha told Thora around a mouthful of berries. Sometimes she was a nervous eater. "I can think of two. Communing with the dead, or raising them as mindless servants." She gulped.

    OOC:

    Knowledge (Religion) d20 (12) + 6 = 18, Success.
    Last edited by UngainlyDodge; 11-08-2014 at 11:36 PM. Reason: quote
    "Fall into my pit trap, shame on you. Fill my pit trap with bloodthirsty sharp-toothed goblins with abyssal templates, shame on me." ---SuperBall

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,610

    Post Dying to Get In the Graveyard? [Sarha, Thora, & Guardsman at the Cemetery Gate]

    "Those are the two most popular," Thora answered grimly. "Here, wear this." She held out a black cloak of mourning from the temple's supply closet. "It should keep people from interfering with our mission." The dwarf slipped one on herself and produced two bouquets of marigolds, which were traditionally left near a loved one's tombstone.

    Under cover as mourners with their heads bowed, Thora and Sarha walked to Kassen's cemetery. It was a quarter mile walk outside the border wall and along the east road. No one detained them...until they reached the cemetery gate.

    A high wrought iron fence surrounded the uneven rows of tombstones and monuments. Captain Wisslo had also locked the only gate and appointed a grey uniformed watchman to hold the key.

    The unkempt, weary-looking blond sentry, whose official brass name badge read "Fitzler 102," barred their way with his hand on the hilt of his longsword. "State your business. Who exactly are you here to see?" the guard demanded.

    Thora scowled. "I am a town elder and a priestess of Torag. I have looked after the interests of Kassen since the laying of its first building's keystone. In other words, I do not need to explain my motives to a low-ranking officer of the watch."

    "You wear Thora Dammerung's shape, that's all I know," the man said grimly. "Mourners only today, and no touching the markers or coffins, by orders of the Mayor himself. And you're limited to seven minutes, if you are indeed here to mourn...are you?" the guard persisted. "Do not make me blow my whistle and bother my superior at the watchtower."

    The dwarf flushed at his insubordination and struggled to think of a deceased's name, or some other way past the stubborn guard. His strange orders only confirmed her suspicions about the rumors of skullduggery. She was unaccustomed to such agitation and it made it hard for her to think.

    The blacksmith turned to her more socially gifted apprentice with pleading eyes and tilted her head slightly in the sentry's direction.

    OOC:

    Sarha, a d20 Persuasion Skill Roll would be one way to handle this situation, with a detailed description of what you say and do.

    But the possibilities are endless if you want to try another way...
    Last edited by UngainlyDodge; 11-17-2014 at 10:29 PM. Reason: location
    "Fall into my pit trap, shame on you. Fill my pit trap with bloodthirsty sharp-toothed goblins with abyssal templates, shame on me." ---SuperBall

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    522

    Default No touchy!

    Quote Originally Posted by UngainlyDodge View Post
    When Aleph urged his phantom horse to step into the water its hoof sank. "Whoops!" He jerked on the reins till the stallion backed onto solid ground again. "Not so powerful a scroll as I thought. Walking on water, not included."

    Two fisherman a good distance away caught sight of Fuego's hair. The younger one pointed excitedly and cried the dreaded nickname "The Firekin!" before speaking rapidly to the other. They both began wading hastily to shore.

    The old mage saw an excellent learning opportunity. "Fans of yours headed this way, I think, perhaps two minutes out. And they've been handling worms and flies and such, oh my. So young Fuego, keeping in mind that our horse cannot swim without getting us wet, and that my levitation spell is only good for moving up and down, what's our quickest way to cross to Finnegan's Island, eh?"
    Fuego closed his hand around one of his bombs, tensing in preparation to throw it. He eyed the ground halfway between him and the germ-infested villagers with grasping fingers and no concept whatsoever of personal space. Fire was the ultimate purifier, his ultimate defense. He'd light up the ground in a glorious wall of flame to protect himself if they came any closer.

    He started to lob the bomb, then paused. He could save the bomb for later detonation if...

    "Can't you levitate us and then use the wind to push us across the water?" Fuego glanced back at the grimy villagers. He'd use his own shirt as a sail if he had to...
    "Friends don't let friends mend evil altars." - UngainlyDodge
    "The goblin died as he had lived, ignorant of what was going on and generally outraged." - UngainlyDodge

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,610

    Post Whose Bear Is It Anyway? [Mingy/Mondo/Gugal/Marta... & "Sorcerer?"]

    Mingy and Mondo raged together, drawing blood from the bear's thick black hide again and again. There was a note that could have been desperation in the bear's next roar.

    Her mentor finished the bear off with an upward sword stab into its guts. A rather disgusting rain fell upon him and Marta had to cover her mouth and turn away.

    In a baffling turn of events, the bear's body vanished, though the gore of battle remained behind.

    "Sorcery!" the Chelaxian halfling exclaimed. He belched loudly, somewhat ruining the dramatic moment. "We find who brought bear!" When he tried to stand, the bear trap secured to both the ground (by a long spike) and his leg (by many tiny spikes) prevented him. Gugal growled and tried hacking at the chain with his sword.

    Marta turned back to the halflings and ran to catch up. She was not only a laundress but a midwife---she had seen her share of blood and wanted to help. "Stop that! Your sword won't work. We need to pry the jaws apart." She re-thought her words and tried again, more slowly. "We need get trap off leg, now."

    "No, find sorcerer!" Gugal argued.

    Both of them looked at Mingy expectantly.


    OOC:

    Mingy Broadsword attack (22), Success!
    Damage (15). Bear takes 15 slashing damage.

    Mondo claw #1 (11), Miss
    claw #2 (16), Hit!
    Damage (9). Bear takes 9 bludgeoning/piercing/slashing damage.

    Gugal falchion attack d20 (15) +4 [BAB--Base Attack Bonus] +3 [Strength] +1 [Mwk sword] +1 [Feat] -2 [drunk] = 22, Hit!
    Damage d6(5) + 3 [Str] +2 = 10


    DAMAGE COUNTER:

    Bear: -58 HP (Hit Points), unconscious...then vanishes!

    Gugal: -6 HP [from trap, bleeding]
    Mingy: -4 HP
    Last edited by UngainlyDodge; 11-09-2014 at 09:10 AM. Reason: looks
    "Fall into my pit trap, shame on you. Fill my pit trap with bloodthirsty sharp-toothed goblins with abyssal templates, shame on me." ---SuperBall

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,610

    Post The Answer Ain't Blowin' in the Wind [Aleph/Fuego]

    Fuego: He started to lob the bomb, then paused. He could save the bomb for later detonation if..."Can't you levitate us and then use the wind to push us across the water?" Fuego glanced back at the grimy villagers. He'd use his own shirt as a sail if he had to...
    The old mage held his breath as the horned ifrit reached for a bomb to hold off the filthy fishermen. Such force would be excessive and cause regrettable destruction of property at the very least, if not injury. Time and again he had tried to drill into his apprentice, "Those with magic fight smarter, not harder." Still he believed in letting his student learn from his mistakes.

    He breathed gratefully when Fuego relented and instead urged a levitation spell and taking advantage of natural wind. The mage's fingers closed over a pearl in his pocket that enabled him to re-cast an earlier spell.

    Aleph held his hands flat out and raised them one after the other, murmuring, "Leviosa, Leviosa!" The unseen pearl flared briefly as its daily power expended.

    The wizard and Fuego floated fifteen feet up in the air. They stayed there, legs dangling, while the wind rippled their robes. Their misty white stallion below tossed its head but otherwise remained still.

    The oncoming boy in wading overalls looked distraught. "Firekin, a blessing for our catch, please!" He wiped a slimy hand ineffectually on his wet pants as he ran.

    "On the plus side, we are now well outside the fishermen's reach. Assuming they're not going to cast their lines for us, eh?" the old man chuckled. "However, this transmutation thickens the air around a person rather than making him lighter," Aleph explained.

    The mage clutched his red robes tightly around his legs so as not to afford those below too personal a view. "We'll need a stronger force to move us across the water, and I've only enough power to cast one more of my most potent spells. Suggestions?"


    OOC:

    Aleph casts Levitate twice. (Uses one Level 2 spell slot and his 2nd-level pearl of power. 3 out of 4 Level 2 spells used today. Otherwise has only 5 Level 1 spells left.)
    Last edited by UngainlyDodge; 11-09-2014 at 12:31 PM. Reason: quote
    "Fall into my pit trap, shame on you. Fill my pit trap with bloodthirsty sharp-toothed goblins with abyssal templates, shame on me." ---SuperBall

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    NeverNeverLand
    Posts
    1,448

    Default Mingy

    Mingy calmed herself and wiped the froth from her mouth. Whenever she got that angry, it took a toll on her. She looked around panting heavily as she recovered from her fatigue.

    "Shhhhh," she exclaimed firmly.

    OOC
    Fatigued for twice as many rounds as rage lasted, which was only 1 round
    Perception check
    Mingy d20(13) + 6 = 19
    Mondo d20(2) + 5 = 7
    Last edited by Drakestendor; 11-10-2014 at 08:38 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •