Page 2 of 64 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: COTE: The Adventure!

Default Mingy

Mingy.rode her weasel as he followed Grampa's scent. She looked behind her and laughed at the laundry lady trudging through the woods in her cart.

OOC
    Was going for the track trick, DM said the scent was evident... Shoulda maybe been more specific

Handle animal d20(19) + 6 = 25

Post Do You Need Any Body? [Sarha/Thora]

Quote Originally Posted by Simoriah View Post
    "I always enjoy a morning workout before heading to the Forge. Warming up the body can help warm up the soul. A better question is what are you doing here?...I dont believe your folk have ever stepped foot in this place. Sure you can blame the pull-up bars for being too high, but I believe every other piece of equipment is more than sufficient to accomplish any work-out of your choosing. Not to mention, the bars are adjustable. She followed with a hearty laugh...[and] proceeded to stuff her face with 5 [nut bars] at a time!
    "I'll be the judge of what's adjustable," Thora harrumphed at her apprentice's cheeky reply. But the birdwoman knew her well enough to spot the twitching of a suppressed smile.

Most anyone else in Kassen would have gone tearing off to scold the old tengu, Brother Alok, into rearranging the facility to the dwarf's liking, and only after begging to know what else she might need while they were out. Thora Dammerung was, after all, venerated as an adventuring companion of no less than the town's founder Ekat Kassen himself. All the attention had become quite tedious.

The old dwarf sighed. "So you'd have me come to the point of my visit, eh? You and I aren't going to my forge this morning, as much as I would have enjoyed collaborating on another set of star knives. We're going to the cemetery."

Thora paused, gauging the young cleric's reaction, before going on. "Dress warm, and bring whatever holy gear you can. There are more than idle rumors and tales to frighten young children going on in Kassen. It's time we saw for ourselves. And good luck to you keeping those peanut bars down, if the truth is worse than I fear."

She beckoned for the tengu to follow her out of the gymnasium. "On the way you can tell me what you remember about the possible uses of a corpse in ritual magic? Consider it part of your Apprentice Day test."

OOC:

Give me a d20 Knowledge Religion roll, please?
    "Fall into my pit trap, shame on you. Fill my pit trap with bloodthirsty sharp-toothed goblins with abyssal templates, shame on me." ---SuperBall

Default But the dust bunnies will be lonesome!

Quote Originally Posted by UngainlyDodge View Post
    At seven o’clock Aleph the wizard’s popping, cracking joints announced his descent down the stairs of his stone tower, Kassen’s second tallest structure. As usual his early rising apprentice, Fuego, had preceded him into their lab.

Their workshop’s shelves and long tables groaned under tomes, flasks, labeled jars, and other tools of magecraft and alchemy. Yet everything was spotless and in scrupulous order. The fastidious ifrit would have it no other way.

Even dressed in his festival finest of shimmering sunburst patterned red robes and matching peaked hat, Aleph felt a touch shabby beside the immaculate Fuego. “Good morning, young Figaro,” he greeted him with eyes twinkling. “I trust you’ve been preparing for that excursion I hinted at yesterday.”

Hinting was a generous way to phrase it, rendering preparation almost impossible. Aleph felt an air of mystery was his duty, and the so-called excursion could be anything from an herb gathering trip to Fuego’s parents whisking him back home to Lastwall.

The old timer couldn’t resist another hint. “Perhaps we’ll try out those marvelous gloves of yours we crafted,” he went on, rubbing his papery hands together. “What do you say, Fizbo?”

OOC:

Simoriah, reply to this post only, for now!
    Fuego halted the movements of his duster and turned to face his mentor. His wild fire-colored hair (the only part of him that wasn't excruciatingly clean and well-pressed) seemed to glow a little brighter as he fidgeted under his mentor's attention. He pressed his lips into a thin line behind the mask he wore over his face when dusting to keep any unwanted germs from flying into his body on every inhale.

"Erm, yes, about that. I'm really terribly behind in my work, and as you can see," he gestured around the spotless workshop, "this place is sorely in need of a good scrubbing. I think it may be best if I stay here. After all, there's always next year."

His *Taldan accent seemed achingly obvious after his mentor's more meandering speech and he tried not to squirm as he waited for his mentor's response.

OOC:

*British
    Last edited by Simoriah; 11-06-2014 at 11:32 AM. Reason: text color
    "Friends don't let friends mend evil altars." - UngainlyDodge
    "The goblin died as he had lived, ignorant of what was going on and generally outraged." - UngainlyDodge

Post Can You Bear It? [Mingy/Mondo, Gugal, & Bear]

Quote Originally Posted by Drakestendor View Post
    Was going for the track trick, DM said the scent was evident... Shoulda maybe been more specific. Handle animal d20(19) + 6 = 25
    Mondo caught a whiff of blood and predator on the wind and growled a challenge. Through a gap in the trees he and his master saw Gugal on the ground with his knees drawn up to his pot belly and his back against a fallen tree.

The grimy bald halfling with the scraggly gray beard was baring his (remaining) crooked teeth in a snarl and curling his fingers into "claws." He was also smeared with blood and dirt and taking heaving breaths.

From behind they glimpsed the creature whose tracks had overlapped Grampa's. Looming over the old halfling, roaring and rearing up on two legs with its paws upraised, was a black bear.

Neither of them seemed to detect their audience's downwind presence.

ON THE MAT:

Blue G = Gugal/Grampa
    Black B (highlighted) = Black bear

OOC:

Mingy/Mondo are approaching from the east (right side), 40 feet from the bear, 45 ft from Gugal.

I provided a "Combat Mat" to give you the lay of the land, but no fight has officially begun.

If you want to use certain Skills (Persuasion, etc) you must approach to no less than 30 ft away from your target.

Thanks for the Handle Animal Roll, a 25 is a success! (If I'm reading it correctly, as a Move action you use a "Handle Animal" Skill roll to prompt a trained animal to perform a trick it knows, like "tracking.")
    Last edited by UngainlyDodge; 11-05-2014 at 03:07 PM.
    "Fall into my pit trap, shame on you. Fill my pit trap with bloodthirsty sharp-toothed goblins with abyssal templates, shame on me." ---SuperBall

Post But Ah, There's the Rub [Aleph/Fuego]

FUEGO: "...this place is sorely in need of a good scrubbing. I think it may be best if I stay here. After all, there's always next year."
    The old wizard should've known getting his germophobic apprentice out of the house would be no easier today than usual. But Aleph Tarkhir was not one to let an opportunity like Apprentice Day (or the chance to be seen in his posh robes be-decked with genuine gold dust) go to waste.

"I daresay you've outdone yourself cleaning this place already. No, I'm onto your game, young Flangerhanger." He winked and wagged an ink-smudged finger. "You know it's festival day, lots of competitions going on later. Lots of townsfolk who will want to know just where to find that everflame-resembling head of yours..."

He strode to his apprentice, stealthily maneuvering the lad's back toward the corner. "...and rub it for luck, hmm? Giving up the chance to work one on one with a peerless master of the arcane, just to stay home to receive all those visitors like that...it's quite a change of heart for you."
    Last edited by UngainlyDodge; 11-05-2014 at 03:39 PM.

The old wizard should've known getting his germophobic apprentice out of the house would be no easier today than usual. But Aleph Tarkhir was not one to let an opportunity like Apprentice Day (or the chance to be seen in his posh robes be-decked with genuine gold dust) go to waste.

"I daresay you've outdone yourself cleaning this place already. No, I'm onto your game, young Flangerhanger." He winked and wagged an ink-smudged finger. "You know it's festival day, lots of competitions going on later. Lots of townsfolk who will want to know just where to find that everflame-resembling head of yours..."

He strode to his apprentice, stealthily maneuvering the lad's back toward the corner. "...and rub it for luck, hmm? Giving up the chance to work one on one with a peerless master of the arcane, just to stay home to receive all those visitors like that...it's quite a change of heart for you."
    Fuego turned green and subconsciously put one hand over his fiery hair. It was true. The townspeople were always rubbing his head for luck, smearing their germs all over him. He'd been forced to practice handstands for twenty-four hours straight after the last time he'd ventured out, all in an attempt to soak his head in disinfectant. He'd since learned magic to dispel the germs, but still...

"If I go out," he protested meekly, "I'm a slow moving target. They'll be all over me like germs on....well, everything."
    Last edited by Simoriah; 11-06-2014 at 11:33 AM. Reason: text color
    "The goblin died as he had lived, ignorant of what was going on and generally outraged." - UngainlyDodge

Post Leave Them In Our Dust, So to Speak [Fuego/Aleph]

Fuego: "If I go out," he protested meekly, "I'm a slow moving target. They'll be all over me like germs on....well, everything."
    "Slow moving target, bah! Who's the wizard here? I shall summon us a mount from the astral plane who is as swift as the wind, and twice as pure. For there are no germs on that plane," Aleph reassured him. "Now off you pop, pack your gear and meet me at front door in ten minutes." He fiddled with the cuffs of his sleeves.

As if on cue, an enthusiastic knocking sound came from the tower entrance.

"Better make that the backdoor," the wizard amended. "Chop chop!"

OOC:

Aleph casts Ghost Sound using the Silent Spell feat.

Default Somewhere over the rainbow

"Slow moving target, bah! Who's the wizard here? I shall summon us a mount from the astral plane who is as swift as the wind, and twice as pure. For there are no germs on that plane," Aleph reassured him. "Now off you pop, pack your gear and meet me at front door in ten minutes." He fiddled with the cuffs of his sleeves.

As if on cue, an enthusiastic knocking sound came from the tower entrance.

"Better make that the backdoor," the wizard amended. "Chop chop!"

OOC:

Aleph casts Ghost Sound using the Silent Spell feat.
    Fuego perked up, his hair shining a little brighter. A plane with no germs? "Oh, all right," he agreed finally. He crossed his arms. "But I'm bringing my wand."

Default Mingy Glasschewer

Mingy saw her mentor in trouble and the anger began to boil up inside her. Time seemed to slow down as she dropped the pretty, yellow, dress rag. It fell into the mud as she squeezed her legs, spurring Mondo towards the bear. She quickly drew her greatsword as they charged and attacked.

OOC
    Not gonna rage... Not actually angry yet
    Assuming the bear is flatfooted
    Ride check ... D20(3) + 9 = 12 : success - can't actually fail
    Handle animal d20(11) +
    Mingy attack d20(16) + 1(Masterwork) + 3(Str) + 2(charge) = 22
    Damage d10(6) + 4(str X 1.5) = 10
    Mondo attack d20(20!) + 3 + 2(charge) = 25 (confirm d20(10) + 6 = 16)
    Damage d6(5) + 2 = 7 (X2 if crit)

Post Just Un-Bearable! [Round 1 Mingy/Mondo, Gugal, & Bear]

Marta saw something yellow flutter to the ground as Mingy took off. She left Clover by a tree and marched on, opening her mouth to give the halfling an earful. Her jaw stayed slack open when she caught sight of the maddened bear.

Mingy and her giant weasel Mondo had just descended in a whirlwind of blade and teeth on the black bear menacing Grampa. The six-foot bear twisted its head around and bellowed in pain and surprise. Flecks of spittle rained from its sharp, slavering jaws onto the pair.

Clover whinnied in terror and tried to run, only to smack his equine head into the nearest tree. He sank back on his haunches, stunned.

"Minka!" Gugal cried, dropping his snarl for a grin. It was a Chelaxian endearment he used when feeling sentimental---and also drunk. "Trap still got me leg, but arm for sword still good!" He snared his falchion from the sheath across his back and swiped at the bear's ankles. Whiskey in his gut dulled the pain of the metal teeth clamping his leg, but also robbed force from his swing.

His modest cut could not distract the bear from Mingy. The mighty hunter tried to haul the girl into its burly arms. She ducked away.

Next it chomped for her skull be-decked braids. But its teeth clacked together over air. It shook its head from side to side at this new pain.

ON THE MAT: One square = 5 ft

Blue G = Gugal/Grampa
    Black B (highlighted) = Black bear
    White M/M (highlighted) = Mingy (small) and Mondo the weasel

OOC:

Surprise Round (Bear has flatfooted Armor Class under unexpected attack):

Mingy's greatsword attack (22) Hit! Bear takes 10 slashing damage.

Mondo's bite (20) Critical Hit/Automatic Success! (Confirmation roll to deal bonus damage: 16, Success!) Bear takes 14 bludgeoning/piercing/slashing damage.

COIN FLIP: Heads. NPC (Non-Player Characters) going first in Round 1.

Gugal falchion attack d20 (19, possible crit) +4 [BAB--Base Attack Bonus] +3 [Strength] +1 [Mwk sword] +1 [Feat] -2 [drunk] = 26, Hit! [Confirm Crit: d20 (4), fail]
    Damage: d6(2) + 3 [Str] +2 [Combat Rule: melee weapon in two hands deals 1.5x normal Str damage] = 7. Bear takes 7 slashing damage.

FOE'S TURN for Round 1:
    Full-attack action (no Move action) from bear (2 Claws, 1 Bite)

Bear claw attack #1 d20 (6) +6 = 12, Miss. (Mingy's Armor Class is currently 18 with the Combat Rule: -2 AC for Charging)

Bear claw #2 d20 (17) +6 = 23, Hit. +Special Attack: grab ability
    Damage: d4(2) +2 = 4. Mingy takes 4 slashing/bludgeoning damage

Special Attack Grab: Combat Maneuver to Grapple (*free action) d20 (5) +10 = 15, Miss. (Mingy's Combat Maneuver Defense is 16).

Bite attack: d20 (1), Automatic Fail. ::rimshot::
    Penalty for rolling "Natural 1" during Combat: -2 AC (Armor Class) for 1 round

END OF FOE'S TURN: Player Drake is NEXT in Round 1!

DAMAGE COUNTER:

Bear: -24 HP (Hit Points)

Gugal: -6 HP [from trap, bleeding]
    Mingy: -4 HP
    Last edited by UngainlyDodge; 11-07-2014 at 12:48 AM. Reason: math