Page 64 of 64 FirstFirst ... 14546061626364

Thread: COTE: The Adventure!

Fuego tore his attention from the dust-repelling cloth and covered his hands with his impeccably clean shirt. He grasped the breastplate and helped his furry mate and his warrior friend drag it over the flames.

(Will save d20:19 +1 = 20)
    (Reflex save d20:12 + 5 = 17)
    "Friends don't let friends mend evil altars." - UngainlyDodge
    "The goblin died as he had lived, ignorant of what was going on and generally outraged." - UngainlyDodge

Post Mingy Armorwrangler

After Fuego and Yen lugged the cursed armor toward the sacred flame and held it over top of the dancing light, Mingy (still balancing on her weasel) grabbed an edge.

But the effort made her head hurt and she flinched way, her grip loosening.

OOC:

Mingy Will save Roll(1d20)+2:
    11,+2
    Total:13

Mingy Reflext save Roll(1d20)+4:
    11,+4
    Total:15
    "Fall into my pit trap, shame on you. Fill my pit trap with bloodthirsty sharp-toothed goblins with abyssal templates, shame on me." ---SuperBall

Post Everfamily

Fuego maintained his concentration---this armor WOULD be cleansed, or he would eat his hat---but his companions fumbled a little. For an instant Ekat's golden breastplate trembled and nearly wrenched itself away from the whole trio, and they had to grab it back.

Their quick reflexes enabled the three young heroes to snag the artifact and keep it firmly over the sacred fire.

Blue flames with a surprisingly gentle heat came trickling up and over the breastplate, eventually shifting its writhing dark purple energy into shimmering cerulean blue waves that grew brighter and rolled triumphantly toward the ceiling.

The face of Ekat Kassen appeared in the blue river of light and just as quickly vanished as it bore him into the next life.

Flint began to chant softly, from his prison inside the red gem on the magic spear strapped to Feugo's back.

The gnome's ghost flowed out of ruby and joined the blue river of light. "This is where I leave you, my wonderful young heroes! I cannot let my oldest friend make the final journey alone. I hope you will stand by one another just the way you did on this quest. Some families we are born into, but others are forged in fire. These are the greatest gift life offers us, and the greatest gift we have to offer! Farewell, you eccentric, blessed little brotherhood!"

With those final words and an enthusiastic wave the gnome rode the stream of blue fire into the heavens and was gone.

Ekat's golden breastplate flaked away into shiny ashes in the youths' cloth-covered palms and scattered about the room. Once the artifact was no more, the Everflame shrank back to its original size and bobbed with a merry and peaceful radiance.

With unusual silent solemnity Mingy lit the red glass lantern from the Everflame and closed the lid. She stepped down from her mount's back. Mondo nuzzled her cheek with his wet black nose and let out a little huff that sounded almost sad.

"We should get back to Kassen and tell them about Ekat and Finn," Mingy began. "Your parents are probably waiting for us there and all worried about you, Fuego. And Yen you probably want to find someone who can bring back your dog. After that...well, do you think..." The halfling seemed to have trouble finding the words, finally blurting, "Will I really see you again next summer?"

She blushed, "What I really mean is, are we ever going to get a chance to be that weird family he was talking about, travelling the world and diving into the river of death for each other and everything? Huh?"

OOC:

FINAL ENCOUNTER:

Yen Will save (total 12), fail. Starts to lose his grip.

Yen Reflex save (18), success! Maintains grip!

Fuego Will save (total 20), success!

Fuego Reflex save (total 17), success in case anyone else failed!

Mingy Will save (total 12), fail. Starts to lose her grip.

Mingy Reflext save (total 15), success!

MISSION ACHIEVED!

The armor is purified, and the last undead in the tomb is gone for good.
    "Fall into my pit trap, shame on you. Fill my pit trap with bloodthirsty sharp-toothed goblins with abyssal templates, shame on me." ---SuperBall

Post INTERLUDE WITH DEATH: Ekat and Finnegan in the Afterlife

Ekat came to his senses---or the ghostly equivalent of senses---inside of a stone sarcophagus with thick chains around his wrists and ankles. He tried to lift the lid and couldn’t. He quickly figured out punching and kicking at it couldn’t help him either. Even though he understood that he was dead and shouldn’t need to breathe, panic began to rise.

Was this how he must spend eternity, trapped in this confined space, endlessly suffocating and starving and alone in the dark? He wasn’t sure which part was worst.

A booming sepulchral voice inquired PERHAPS YOU ARE WONDERING WHY YOU ARE HERE? THE MORE INTERESTING QUESTION MIGHT BE WHY YOU TURNED FROM THE INEVITABLE AND EMBRACED FORBIDDEN KNOWLEDGE TO PROLONG AN UNNATURAL EXISTENCE. I AM NOT USUALLY ONE TO MAKE MORAL JUDGMENTS, BUT THAT WAS NAUGHTY.

There was a long pause and Ekat held his breath.

A new voice spoke, this one achingly familiar to him---it was none other than Finnegan Ozziwig. “Hang on, I always thought coming here was the start of another great journey? Can’t you let him out so we can sort of, you know, explore and rethink our past sins and repent and that sort of thing?”

THIS JOURNEY IS MEANT TO BE TAKEN ALONE.

“Nah, looks a bit dodgy here, so no thanks,” Finnegan countered. “But no worries. If Ekat’s not available for a stroll, I could always just follow you around and greet the new arrivals. Cheer ‘em up with a bit of song, eh? Say, do you know the lyrics to ‘Love Ain’t Easy But Your Mother Is,’ or perhaps ‘A Wizard’s Staff Has a Knob on the End’ eh? I could hum a few bars to get you started.”

The spectre of death had no lungs with which to sigh, so he didn’t. VERY WELL. YOU MAY GO TOGETHER.

The coffin lid sprang open and Ekat saw a beautiful night sky above him. Bathed in the light of the heavens he could see his skin was purplish and grey with decay.

By the same light Death was a bone white skeleton in a black robe with a long scythe. Finnegan, however, looked as rosy cheeked and well dressed and equipped as he had been in life, trusty lute strung over his shoulder and all.

“What about these chains?” Ekat asked, noticing they anchored him to the massive sarcophagus.

SOME MUST MAKE THIS JOURNEY WITH MORE BAGGAGE THAN OTHERS. Death explained. OFF YOU GO THEN.

It was a struggle even for the two of them to lift Ekat’s heavy sarcogaphus, but the emaciated human warrior and scrawny gnome bard somehow managed it together and shuffled off into the gloom.

HUM A FEW BARS, WILL YOU? Death murmured after the bard retreating under the heavy load. SERVES YOU RIGHT MY NOT TELLING YOU IT’S GOT WHEELS YOU CAN POP OUT THE BOTTOM.
    Last edited by UngainlyDodge; 06-28-2016 at 03:46 PM.

When the blue Everflame became a river of fire Yen jumped back with a screech. After the ghost's heartfelt speech and departure the monkey slumped with relief. "We're alive!"

Then the toughest person he'd ever met, with the bones of her enemies in her hair to prove it, blubbered about staying together. It was the cutest thing Yen had ever seen.

"Aww Bones I didn't know you cared! Sure I'll go with you anywhere! Ain't no mountain high enough, you get me?" Yen grabbed her and Mondo in a hug that banged their heads together.

He reached out an arm. "C'mon get in here Fuego, you know you want to! We won't breathe on you, promise! Wouldn't wanna blow that magic hair out, no sir, you lucky little fireball you! You kept us alive and you can stay right next to me from here on out!"

Talking Mingy

Mingy loved hugs and squeezed a bit harder than was necessary... She drug the monkey over to Fuego and wrapped a dirty arm around him and kissed his cheek with all the extra filth that she could muster.
    Last edited by Drakestendor; 07-02-2016 at 01:37 PM.

Post Friendship's Glow

Fuego endures the embraces and mutters "We'll see." But in spite of himself, he's smiling.