Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: DL 2 Dragons of Flame; IC; Chapter 2

Default DL 2 Dragons of Flame; IC; Chapter 2

Plains just East of Solace in Abanasinia; Mid Morning of Hiddumont (October) 2nd, 351 AC (After Catacylsm)

The four companions had crossed the plains of Abanasinia over the course of 3 days in an odd mix of hope and comfort at having defeated a dread Dragon and not only finding proof of the True Gods; but in having two of their group actually becoming blessed agents of their divine power; and at the same time fear and anger at seeing the signs of war and destruction all over the region.

Long scorch marks were found here and there in the plains; carrion birds wheeled in the sky in multiple places in the distance; and most ominous of all; the sign of rising clouds of smoke from Solace that they could see for the past two days. It was now mid morning on their third day of traveling across the increasingly colder land; and they were now less than a mile from the tree-top town of Solace; staying off the well-used road; and from this vantage point they could see that the town they had visited a few short days ago bore little resemblance to the sight in front of them....

Many of the great and beautiful vallenwood trees had been burned the ground or cut in half with ruined and blackened branches and stumps all around. Virtually every home and building that had resided in the vales of the trees had been destroyed or forcibly moved to the ground; though what had the strength and ability to do something like THAT; the companions could only think of one possible answer...

Numerous Goblin, Hobgoblin and Draconian troops can be seen walking through town; erecting a fence around the now grounded buildings of the town and all are wearing the red arm-band of the 'Red Wing of the Dragon Armies'. A few dozen people can be seen moving sullenly and slowly here and there; mostly working here or there and flinching away from the rough shouts and occasional slaps or whip-cracks of some of the Hobgoblins or Draconians. The building that is getting the most traffic however; is the Inn of the Last Home; now on the ground and with clear dents in the sides of the building. Numerous Dragonarmy troops come too and fro; many clearly staggering with the effects of strong drink; and a few townsfolk enter and depart quietly as well....

Vale struggles desperately with his self control at seeing the destruction of the town that he as come to know as home. The need to find out the whereabouts of those that he cares for is almost overwhelming, but he also knows that it does the survivors no good if he is captured.

"Too many for us to take, even with the Blessing of the God." The dwarf said more too himslef then anyone else. He was looking at the scenery, chewing his lips. "Where's the rest of the people?" He eventually asked.
    Roleplaying is not a Hobby...it's a Way of Life.

Plains just East of Solace in Abanasinia; Mid Morning of Hiddumont (October) 2nd, 351 AC (After Catacylsm)

As the party continues to survey the occupied town of Solace; they can tell that it is currently occupied by at least a full Company (approximately 200 people) of troops of the 'Red Wing of the Dragon Armies'; with most of the troops being Hobgoblins; and maybe two platoons worth of Draconians (about 80); with none of the magic-wielding Bozaks in sight; but the dragonmen they could see were about half and half of the Baaz they had encountered several times in Xax Tsaroth; and a new kind of dragon man they had not seen before. These stood about 6 feet in height; so taller than the Baaz but shorter than the Bozaks; were reddish-brown in color and they seemed to enjoy pushing the smaller and weaker Baaz around.

Vale saw a couple of people he knew; including a kindly middle-aged woman weaver by the name of Sarsa; whose husband Willit was a member of the Town constables; and she was walking out of the now-on-the-ground Inn of the Last Home and she had a short conversation with good ol' Otik; the proprietor and bar-tender of the Inn; and he quickly rushed back into the Inn after saying goodbye to her.

The party could see that half-hearted patrols were being conducted around the town by small detachments of Hobgoblins and Draconians; but it wouldn't take much effort to slip into town or into a better hiding place when a patrol came too near....

Perhaps we should inquire with Otik as to the current news and better yet, if there be anything we can do to alleviate the oppression clearly being endured.

"Surveillance is lax enough it could work if we are careful." The Dwarf agreed. "But we'll need to be quick."

"Let me give it a shot," Vale interjects. "Most of the people of the town are familiar with my face and shouldn't be surprised to see me among them. This isn't the first time that I left for several days and came back. I'll just say that I was on an extended hunt if anyone asks where I've been."

"I'm the most reasonable dwarf you'll ever meet." Replied the dwarf with a wide toothy grin.

Plains just East of Solace in Abanasinia; Mid to Late Morning of Hiddumont (October) 2nd, 351 AC (After Catacylsm)

Vale moved into town first, quietly and unassuming past some lazy and almost certainly a bit drunk guard patrols. He quickly catches up with Sarsa; and the two have a quiet reunion in the somewhat singed remnants of her home that is now resting on the ground. It is all the middle-aged woman can do not to break down and start sobbing; but the veteran Elven Thief-mage soon gets the gist of the situation; the town was attacked by a trio of Red Dragons; who belched flames from their mouths and quickly incinerated half of the trees and homes in the towns; killed any of the town constables who resisted and then forcefully pulled the remaining buildings down to the ground. Then the troops came; the goblins, hobgoblins and Dragonmen. Many of the more able-bodied adults were being rounded up; probably for some kind of labor. This included Sarsa's poor husband. Vale thanked her, gave her a hug and then awkwardly asked to borrow some hooded cloaks for his friends. Sarsa agreed and gave him what she had. In return; Vale slipped her a couple of Steel coins and slipped quietly back to the edge of town where his companions waited.

The quartet of adventurers donned the cloaks as best they could to hide their armaments and they moved as quietly as they could into the Inn. A smoky fire struggled in the blackened stove, feebly challenging the gloom that seemed to hang over the town. In sharp contrast to the lively crowd they saw the last time they were here; the few patrons in the place seem to be silent and lost in their own thoughts. No one smiles or does anyone seem particularly interested in the arrival of a few more customers.

A think, cloaked figure sits alone at a table near the door, a near untouched glass of wine in front of him. Three old men crouch above a table in the back of the Inn, silently eating a meal. Other than this; the Inn is empty.

One familiar note carries good cheer with it however; a familiar aroma of spiced potatoes and meats emanates from the kitchen and the door to it opens to reveal the familiar face of the good-natured Otik Sandeth, proprietor of the Inn and friend and employer of Vale. His eyes light up upon seeing Vale; but he quickly looks around after a brief, heart-warming smile; and his face falls back to a neutral, slightly friendly expression as he hurries over to the table the foursome had found.

He brings a pitcher of ale with him and quickly pours four mugs for the companions while calling out for Dezra the cook to warm up a pan of spiced potatoes and beef for a new table of customers and then he drops into a seat next to Vale and after a quick glance around; he gives the young elf a big hug and says; "I'm so very glad you're alive kid! Do you know what's happened here?" Upon seeing the Elf's nod; he shakes his head sadly and whispers; "Well, you need to leave right after eating; they're taking anybody healthy looking and sending them to the Iron mines in Pax Tharkas. And.....I'm sorry Vale...they seem to REALLY despise Elves for some reason. If I were you; I'd think about getting out of here as soon as you can. Maybe try to make for the mountains to the south of here or across the New Sea; I don't know. Take care of yourself, kid"; he says with a awkward clap on the shoulders.

With that; he moves to get the pan of food when Dezra calls out that its ready and brings it back to the adventurers and ladles out four platefulls for each of them and as he finishes doing so the door to the Inn opens with a bang and six of the newly seen, reddish-brown Dragonmen come swaggering in and move to the bar while hissing out; "Alllllleeeeee bar-keep and be quick about it you fat lout!" Otik hurries up and finished passing out the food and then moves behind the bar to start pouring ale for the Dragonmen who are all armed with the familiar curved scimitars and have the red armbands of the other troops in town....