Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: "Chapter Three: Kicking Up a Storm"

Post He's Off to Flee, the Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Drakestendor View Post
    Master Axl Rose
    Can we swing by our friend's house?
    Sora stays with me

Squalk tilted his head and gave Sora a glance, turned his head slowly, and blankly stared at the feline hussies impassionately for a moment. Cats eat birds. He then locked eyes with the satyr once again.
    "Captain Axl Rhodes is fine. Stop at your friend's house, eh?" the goatman repeated doubtfully. "If it's on the way south perhaps. Our journey will take at least two weeks as it is. We can't afford to waste more than a day if we're to kill MacGuffin before he wrecks this corner of Golarion. And that's just his warm-up act!"

Daphne returned Squalk's impassive gaze by waggling a suggestive eyebrow. When he turned deliberately away, she giggled. "Lawks, cool one, ain't he? Well caught, Sora dearie, well caught! Do tell us ye have nae been hidin' yer wild side from this 'un, too?"

"Excuse us a moment?" the crane pleaded. In *Tian Xian she asked Squalk "Did you mean the Hermit? He had to abandon his house, remember? He fled up the north coast. That is too far out of the way. Besides, he would not want so large a group knowing where he is, or having the chance to deduce his blindness." She shook her head. "I do not wish to leave your side. If I do not return his spellbook, perhaps we could bury it, or something?"

During the birdfolk's earnest conversation, Daphne and Les drew up to either side of Tamsyn. Les traced a claw lightly on her tawny cheek, trying to turn her gaze from Axl. "Before any newcomers entered our Oasis, it was our custom to have a representative of theirs and ours share a kiss of peace---"

"On the gob," Daphne specified, tapping her mouth, "except if t'was a beak or summat. In that case a nip o' the sensitive part o' the neck would do---Sora recalls, eh dearie?" (The preoccupied crane did not answer.)

"I think you're the right sheila for the honor, Tam, what say?" Les finished. "You even get to pick from among the first you laid eyes on. That'd be me or Daph, or Clive...or Axl."

Clive, unaware his name was in the running for a smooch, popped out of the dirt only long enough to drag the next bundle---Slim's---six feet underground.
    Last edited by UngainlyDodge; 07-30-2014 at 11:29 AM. Reason: NEW in BOLD
    "Fall into my pit trap, shame on you. Fill my pit trap with bloodthirsty sharp-toothed goblins with abyssal templates, shame on me." ---SuperBall

Post Girls Just Wanna Have Faun?

Oksana gaped at Tamsyn's feline smile, wrinkling her nose at the all too familiar twitch of the cat's tail. She grit her teeth and glared at the satyr, her eyes glowing silver.

"I woke in the mood for blood," she snarled. "Is best if I get to MacGuffin soon, before this need must be satisfied elsewhere."
    The fey blinked, taken aback by Oksana's hostility (and, by some perversity in his nature, excited too). He recovered his composure and replied, "As I said, reaching Chance's Peaks will take at least two weeks. In the meantime we'll see what we can do to improve your mood and appetite, my girl. More to eat perhaps while we complete your introductions to my skeleton crew. Did you get my roses last night? Had I known there were three lovely ladies, I would have left you each a flower."

"Dinna believe it," Daphne interposed, tracing Tam's other cheek as Les had done. "The lovelier the lass, the less likely he'll let her alone with a flower, inn'it?"

"I have been called Axl d'Rose, as they became a kind of calling card," Axl went on, ignoring her. "But I wouldn't say they're my first choice when I have a mind to..." He twanged a lute string. "Pluck."

The faun knelt on one knee to put his face level with hers and turned the full power of his smile on Tamsyn. "About that kiss of peace...? It is my favorite way to leave a first impression."

Davey had remained oddly silent the whole while. He roused himself at the sight of the tribal black catfolk twins and the wily fey plying the oracle for a kiss. "You spout on about how you lost everythin' and you're rarin' to kill off MacGuffin," the misty green lad fumed, "but here you still are, dropping tasteless double entendres, dawdling for intimate favors from a lady you just met! How like a feckless satyr!"

"Easy, lad," Bizbee warned, popping up from his sanctuary still wearing his night cap. Satyrs had notoriously short fuses, in term of temper or libido. He rubbed the sleep from his eyes and belatedly realized he wasn't beholding a true satyr.

"Listen to the grig, my boy," Axl retorted, seeming to notice the youth for the first time. "I'm no saint, but I'm no satyr, either. My father may have been a full-blooded satyr, but I'm a faun." He pointed to his head. "Shorter horns instead of the curly ram's crown, a swishy tail instead of a nub, the physical differences are subtle but there. The most important distinctions are in our approaches to women and to conflict."

"I don't hear the difference," Bizbee shot back.

Axl warmed to his topic, an old favorite, as though he hadn't heard. "Satyrs are infamous seducers, whereas fauns are merely famous. Satyrs talk big, but fauns are the best listeners. A night with a satyr is 'Wham, bam, have my kid, ma'm.' They're too quick and quickly bored. But a night with my skilled and intuitive kin produces no offspring, only lasting memories of passion, discovery and mutual ecstasy. Shall I go on..." His voice dropped to a whisper for Tam and Oksana's ears alone, "...or would you have a demonstration?"

OOC:

Your DM has been waiting almost a year to use that title pun.
    Last edited by UngainlyDodge; 07-30-2014 at 11:31 AM. Reason: NEW in BOLD
    "Fall into my pit trap, shame on you. Fill my pit trap with bloodthirsty sharp-toothed goblins with abyssal templates, shame on me." ---SuperBall

Default A very clever title pun indeed...

"Not one to turn down a kiss or "peace" as it were..." I will lay a big smooch first on one of the cat ladies then the other. Turning to Axl and giving him a lingering smooch and a purr. Then I will wander over to Oksana and drape an arm around her shoulders, " O sweetheart we are on our way, but let us enjoy the journey. It could be a might long and hard." A wink at Axl when I say it. Oksana senses that I may be covering my fear of the flying ship with extravagant flirting.
    The mystical divinity of unashamed felinity Round the cathedral rang 'Vivat' Life to the everlasting cat!

Post Devil Went Down to Gore Ya?

Tam's kisses left Les and Daphne purring, and touching their rumbling cat tummies with wonder at the new phenomenon. "I am literally gobsmacked. Can we keep her, Ax?" Les drawled.

Axl's kiss was longer, playful and tender and holding nothing back, such that it produced more longing than it did satisfaction. Their captain had prepared a short speech about how the kiss of peace represented a significant demonstration of trust and a willingness to embrace the Oasis' unique culture. But all he could manage in the dizzying aftermath was "Hgnah?"

The faun watched with regret as Tamsyn withdrew, but he brightened at her wicked pun to Oksana. "We'll do our best, Les," he replied.

Any chance of extending the moment ended with a sudden commotion on the ship. Chaulo the Ausland apeman scrambled across the deck on all fours. He was naked, sopping wet, and had ropes trailing from his wrists and ankles.

Right on his heels came a man wearing armor, with a horned head and huge black feathered wings exactly the color of Chaulo's fur.

The ape's voice was high and panicked. "What is your obsession with my wings, nutter?! You got the first lot!" The derhii's soaked beetle boon wings clung to his back. They did not slow his descent after he leapt over the rail.

A pointed tail flicked out behind his pursuer as he dove after him twirling a wickedly tapered broadsword.

"Damir, don't!" Axl warned.

Before he or anyone else could react, the tiefling brought one side of his broadsword slashing down through Chaulo's wings. He roared and immediately spun his weapon to finish the job with another swipe. The ape's golden wings were shorn clean away. On top of that he raked his head down, scoring his horns along the ape's back.

The derhii screamed blasphemies that made Wynn's standard, "the gods are bastards" sound almost prudish. Then he dropped like a sack of fur and bone, wounded and wingless. He hit face first and slid a bloody trail on the ground till he came to rest. The impact, or blood loss, seemed to put him out cold.

Axl pinched the bridge of his nose and bowed his head a moment. His muscled shoulders and neck tensed against some powerful impulse. "I allowed that prisoner to be stripped, drugged, bound, gagged, starved, immersed in icewater, and kept under constant guard. The ONE thing I asked was that he remain alive, remember?"

"You saw him trying to escape, da? I told you he was flight risk---but no more, ha!" The tiefling spoke in a thick Chelaxian accent that morphed his soft Gs into hard Ks. He touched down, folding his wings around him and crossing his arms. In *Chelaxian he added to himself, "Had to loosen ropes, wake him up with a little coffee, feign injury at his puny assault. But THEN he try to escape!"

"We're fighters now like yerself, but we're not killers, Damir!" Daphne scolded. "Now it's bleedin' like a stuck pig ye are, and still less than ye deserve!"

Damir patted the the dribbling claw marks on his cheek that had come dangerously close to his eyes. "Is not so deep. He scratch my face like a woman," he muttered. To Tamsyn and Oksana he added, "No offense, devotchkas."

"If he's not already dead, we can't kill him," Axl insisted. "There's no time to argue. Bring the ape and we'll take the ship into the air. We can talk safely there."

OOC:

Yeah, someone to pun with!

Here is an image of Damir (except his armor would cover more than this):

Last edited by UngainlyDodge; 07-31-2014 at 04:38 PM.

Default Come Fly With Me

"Not flight risk anymore--HA!" Oksana, who had perked up considerably at the appearance of an attempting to escape Chaulo, dropped her shoulders (and the blade she'd drawn) as Axl insisted on keeping the ape man alive. Tam patted her shoulder consolingly and the strix sighed. In Chelaxian, she said to Tam, "Do not worry about flying ship. You can fly on my back if you prefer, or we can watch from side of ship and see what blood we can draw from a distance." She smiled. "A little vodka will make trip more pleasant as well, da?"

She eyed the damir. "We should keep that one close as well," she added. "Chance of battle seems more likely."
    Last edited by Simoriah; 08-01-2014 at 05:49 PM.
    "Friends don't let friends mend evil altars." - UngainlyDodge
    "The goblin died as he had lived, ignorant of what was going on and generally outraged." - UngainlyDodge

Post Devil in De Skies

Damir gave Oksana a nod and a smile of oddly sharp teeth. "Finally! Someone who speak my language, and not only Chelaxian," he said. In their mother tongue he added "Just now I did to the ape what he planned to do to you."

The tiefling's eyes, which were copper like his hair, flashed briefly with blue and purple light as he regarded Chaulo. "His soul has not left, yet," he announced. "But if we no kill him, how about we drop him in ocean, let him fend for himself?"

"That's nae better than murder if ye didn't know it, ye devilspawn," retorted Daphne.

The insult got Tam thinking. She deduced Damir's special gaze was a blend of divination and necromancy. That and his teeth, horns and barbed tail suggested Damir did have fiendish ancestry, but she couldn't be sure. Squalk could have told her the tiefling had a whiff of brimstone under his sweat and cologne.

Les spoke up for his fellow Auslander. "That ape gahla's no threat now, and he was only acting as a sellsword. The Oasis voted to take you in, Damir mate, and we can vote to toss you out again."

"There will be no drowning, and no voting either. A ship is not a democracy, and a warship even less so," the faun interjected sternly. "As your captain I say we stick together, and heal the apeman and take him aloft. Heed me, or shove off, I don't care which."

Axl was confident that those of the Ruins, and the tiefling whose life they'd once saved, would obey. But he waited to see how Fortune's Hand would respond to his commands. At least the strix had put away her blade.

OOC:

Knowledge (Religion) Tam on the tiefling (I know, it would normally be Knowledge(Planes) but this works): d20 (5) + 7 = 12

I will push us forward Monday morning if no one posts, or sooner if people announce they're ready in the Planner or OOC.
    Last edited by UngainlyDodge; 08-02-2014 at 01:55 PM.

Oksana's eyes glowed silver. "No democracy? Heed you or shove off? Is that how it is to be?" She flexed her fingers, itching to call a spell to tell the goat-man exactly what she thought of his attempts to set himself as master of Fortune's Hand. "You have done nothing to earn my allegiance--or my respect. I am not sheep to follow blindly. Traveling companion is one thing--master is another." Her tail lashed from side to side, a response to her rising ire. She glanced at her comrades. "I will not follow his orders. I do not need his ship to fly, or his help to kill MacGuffin." She narrowed her eyes at the faun. "If that is plan--to kill MacGuffin? Or do you think to heal him and take him prisoner?"
    "Friends don't let friends mend evil altars." - UngainlyDodge
    "The goblin died as he had lived, ignorant of what was going on and generally outraged." - UngainlyDodge

Default Sides with O. I know you all are shocked

I scoot a little closer to O. Like myself and Cato are vying for a space on her back. A gentle stroke of my paw down her arm for comfort for both of us. " She speaks truth. We will kill MacGuffin. There will be no taking him prisoner for what he has done to us. He will bleed at our feet. Wild kitties heed no master, but that being said we would love to accompany you, and you will find us reasonable companions." I put a touch of a purr on reasonable companions as if to suggest that isn't the thought that Axl puts in my mind.
    The mystical divinity of unashamed felinity Round the cathedral rang 'Vivat' Life to the everlasting cat!

Post Death Sentence, No Question OR Li'l Orphan Davey

His private conversation with the grig buzzed in the newly orphaned Davey's brain like angry hornets. "I'm with Oksana and Tamsyn! MacGuffin killed my father. He must prepare to die!" the boy threw in.

"I too am for killing," Damir spoke up. "Who is against?"

"We are NOT in disagreement here!" Bizbee protested, trying to calm both sides. "Nobody has said anything about wanting to take that maniac alive!"

The two (disguised) black cat women clasped their paws in entreaty. "Aye, chust come tae the ship but a few moments---" Daphne began.

"---and let us bend your ear for a tic, all will be explained," Les finished.

Cliveston had finished burying the bodies from the temple and added his two coppers to the row. "Our best chance of killin' the Doc is to work together, like a well-oiled machine. But that don't mean y'all won't get a say, or that the Cap'n can't be persuaded!"

Captain Rhodes couldn't resist a spotlight. He chose and rehearsed his next words carefully. The catfolk's mix of defiance and flirtation almost made him smile. Such a clever tongue to spar with. He could not help but appreciate the strix's passionate nature also. The tengu was inscrutable, but the faun found delight in the challenge that presented as well. He held his breath and waited for the mysterious monk to weigh in.

In *Tian Xian, Sora whispered "I guess the wizard's book is the least of our problems, Squalk. I know that whatever his flaws, Axl is a man of his word. You probably do not need his help, but will you hear him out?"

OOC:

Drake let me know he was going on vacation to a Ren Fair, which is very cool. If he's not able to post by 10 pm tonite, no sweat, I will move the thread forward.
    Last edited by UngainlyDodge; 08-04-2014 at 08:38 AM. Reason: added OOC, Axl's reactions

Post Tour de Force or Force Deterred?

Squalk withheld his judgment for the moment. He nodded to Sora and trained his sharp black eyes on Captain Rhodes. "Speak."

"It seems I did not make myself clear," Axl began in a low tone. "When I said no voting, to heed me or shove off, I was vetoing the drowning of this helpless mercenary, and eviction of Damir. To do either would play right into MacGuffin's hands."

The faun's body began to grow and stretch, becoming elongated and gaunt yet still furrowed with muscle. He had no weapons and both hands were visible on his lute. His voice was calm but rising in pitch.

"When I said a warship was not a democracy, I meant a ship needs order and a Captain to make a final decision in a crisis. I did not mean Fortune's Hand or my original crew should be my unquestioning slaves, instead of respected, essential tactical advisers. But without order and some hierarchy, we would undermine each other's efforts. And we're not offering a free ride. If Fortune's Hand were unwilling to aid in the running and defense of this ship, it would hardly create the atmosphere of cooperation and trust we'll need in the thick of battle."

Axl's form continued to expand, his goat legged stance widening to ten feet. His red and gold breastplate and metal armored skirting of sorts changed size with him. A tail like a horse's swished behind him in agitation.

His words were still low, but now rippled with emotion. "When I said the Oasis has fallen, I meant the peaceful refuge we built to avoid MacGuffin's sick contest was viciously assaulted and dismantled, its masses murdered in cold blood. I meant it fell to MacGuffin's elite agents, two half-orcs and dozens of Mwangi assassins and cloud pirates, riding metallic beasts or carpets. They rained down hailstorms of acid bombs, arrows, and avalanche-inducing spells till not one stone was left balanced upon a stone! Till you could not walk without slipping on blood or tripping over the scores of our mangled or dying people. THAT is what I meant when I said we are the Ruins, and out for revenge!"

The bard spoke a word and a gentle orange aura suffused his hand. "We will use compassion when we must..." The faun's long fingers brushed Chaulo's head, sending the aura over his form to close and cleanse his injuries. The derhii started to push himself up. "And use force when we must." Axl's other hand whipped the lute off his neck and smashed it across the base of the ape's skull. Chaulo dropped again, breathing rhythmically.

His lute hung in two pieces, the second half dangling by its strings. He let it fall. "When I said we would kill MacGuffin, I meant he would be eliminated---" he stomped his instrument with his huge cloven foot, "assassinated, [stomp!] bumped off [stomp!], exterminated [stomp!], destroyed [stomp!], annihilated [stomp!], slaughtered [stomp], ENDED once and for all, and nothing less." Axl gave a final stomp and ground the shattered bit of lute into the dirt.

Ten feet tall, ten feet wide and breathing hard, with eyes hard as flint, Captain Rhodes faced the Hand. He tweaked a famous soliloquy for his finale: "In other words, doubt the stars are fire, or that the sun rises and sets, Fortune's Hand, but do not doubt this: my crew will see to it that MacGuffin dies."

Then he started for the grappling hook hanging over the railing. His body shrank to his normal height with every step. "Now please, join us on the ship for a quick conference. And if you still want to take the apeman's life after that, or perhaps arm him for a final fight for survival, I will not stop you."

He paused with one hand on the rope. "But I hope that instead you will partner with us. Fortune's Hand, the men of Iron Oars---formerly Iron Mule---and the Ruins could forge a new alliance far mightier than the sum of our parts. We would need a new name...Fior's Army, perhaps."
    Last edited by UngainlyDodge; 08-04-2014 at 10:58 PM.