Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "Chapter Three: Kicking Up a Storm"

Post OLD GAME

Davey stared with frank wonder at the breakfasting heroes in the fallen priestess' stronghold. "Cor, if I could hold a pen, I'd start writing your story---our story." He spread his green misty hand across the air. "Here sits Fortune's Hand," he intoned, "more toughened and altered by the hardships of a week on MacGuffin's embattled island than they'd been in a lifetime. Tempted by strange dreams that promise untold riches and power, theirs for the price of a devil's bargain with a gnome as old as sin." He resumed his normal boyish voice. "It'd be bloody epic. Are you in, crane girl?"

Sora looked down at her plate. "I do not know if that would be wise. The Hermit needs his spellbook, and Zazava for travel and...and he said it is too dangerous to go with him, but I think he may need me, too."

"Another pair of eyes you mean?" Bizbee asked slyly.

"What?" The crane gave the grig a warning look. "I mean yes." She looked around the table, eager for a new topic. "What were you all saying about dreams? Was Davey correct about Dr. MacGuffin's offer?"
    Last edited by UngainlyDodge; 10-27-2014 at 07:45 AM.
    "Fall into my pit trap, shame on you. Fill my pit trap with bloodthirsty sharp-toothed goblins with abyssal templates, shame on me." ---SuperBall

Default thinking out loud

"I am fairly certain that since we have to reply in person to a person that it wasn't a "two way" spell so to speak....I wonder if maybe we have a chance to turn this to our advantage....I am more of the rush head long devil be darned kinda girl, but....something to be said for a little prowess...."

OOC any thoughts on sending a false yes to get closer to MacGuffin or do we want to wade through the forest of xp and go in level 5?
    The mystical divinity of unashamed felinity Round the cathedral rang 'Vivat' Life to the everlasting cat!

Default Another round and then we go!

Oksana slammed her fist down on the table. "I will not speak his insulting offer until I am mocking his corpse with its own words. We know he is on mountain, I think is time to bring the blade to the madman himself."
    "Friends don't let friends mend evil altars." - UngainlyDodge
    "The goblin died as he had lived, ignorant of what was going on and generally outraged." - UngainlyDodge

Post Come Fly With Me?

Tamsyn's daring plan (to feign allegiance to Dr. MacGuffin when they met his Mwangi female representatives, then assault him from inside his own ranks), was tabled for the moment.

Oksana had voted on a more direct and hostile approach, and Squalk was silently considering both sides.

The heroes finished their breakfast and loaded all their spoils into bags of holding. They dragged the corpses of Xephanysse, Slim, Bellavita, the fake Hermit, and Yarrowsa (now wingless, after an encounter with the adamantine axe to furnish ammo for Oksana) outdoors for a quick burial.

Oksana was about to use her expeditious excavation spell to inter the bodies when a wondrous sight met their eyes.

There was a gigantic moving cloud of fog headed their way, rolling across the ground in the early morning light outside the temple cave.

A familiar tiger with an amulet of a white fox dangling from his neck padded into view just ahead of the moving cloud. Sinbad nuzzled his large head and wet pink nose affectionately against Tam and Oksana's calves in greeting. Then he settled in a relaxed position on his haunches and stared expectantly at the cloud.

The fog began to sink inward toward a central source, revealing an impressive ship with strange metal appendages and gears, including gigantic telescopes and a fish-like fin of a tail, or rudder.

Music issued from the prow of the ship where the remaining sphere of fog surrounded a lone figure strumming a lute and singing.

"You are the Hand that rocked the Island!
    We are the Ruins where Oasis fell!
    You beat the mongrels at their last stand!
    We nixed the Compound's General!

Join forces, join forces, we'll thwart the Doctor's plan!
    Join forces, with Ruins, o' won't you, Fortune's Hand?"

At the end of the song, the bard leapt out of the cloud and landed nimbly on the ground in front of the ship. He bent on one knee and swept a grand bow. He looked like a burly satyr and wore the breastplate and loincloth of an ancient Azlantian gladiator (plus a lute around his neck). "Fortune's Hand, I hope we are well met?" He threw a wink at Sora. "The crane already knows me, and your tiger friend, too."

"Axl!" Sora cried, sounding pleased and troubled at the same time. "Axl Rhodes, leader of the Oasis."

"Former," he said darkly. "The Oasis fell. We are the Ruins, now, and out for revenge. My ship is headed to the MacGuffin's mountains and we seek his death." He held up his instrument. "Shall you join our crew and our cause, or should I sing the song of invitation again?"

OOC:

We are moving right along! Hope Drake comes back soon. There are no Will saves being made here, the song was just a song.

Changed Axl's pic to my original choice, see below.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by UngainlyDodge; 07-28-2014 at 03:01 PM.
    "Fall into my pit trap, shame on you. Fill my pit trap with bloodthirsty sharp-toothed goblins with abyssal templates, shame on me." ---SuperBall

Default Squalk

Is he an ally?
    We have common enemies...
    Good enough for me

Squalk took his hand off of the Tsuba on his katana and seemed to relax a bit.

Is that a sky ship?
    I have heard tales of such things
    It sure looks like one

Default Happy Kitty

Tamsyn purrs at the newcomer. "If Sora says you are ok, then ok you must be....but I see more than OK from where I stand."
    The mystical divinity of unashamed felinity Round the cathedral rang 'Vivat' Life to the everlasting cat!

Post A Hint of Horns?

SQUALK: Is he an ally?
    We have common enemies...
    Good enough for me
    Axl stood and jerked a nod to Squalk. "Common enemies indeed." One fist clenched at his side, while the other curled so tight around his lute's neck that the strings squeaked. "There will be much to say on that score, later."

SQUALK: Is that a sky ship?
    I have heard tales of such things
    It sure looks like one
    At Squalk's mention of his aircraft, Axl's mood visibly lifted and his lip quirked up. "This proud, prowed beauty is the Dervish Dame, a modified galleon formerly of General Phoenix's Compound. Along her bottom she's got flying carpets we chiseled from MacGuffin's sly airdogs, the Cloud Pirates. In her stern she's got steam machinery hot enough to boil a man in his own juices, if he lingers too long. We have to take very short shifts stoking her, till we find a way to brace ourselves against...her..."

The half-goat man trailed off, distracted by the lithesome catfolk and her coy grin. He paused, swallowed, slipped out a final word: "Heat."

TAM: "If Sora says you are ok, then ok you must be....but I see more than OK from where I stand."
    Her flirty greeting propelled his half-smile into a wide, lascivious grin. "I hope Sora hasn't spoken too well of me," Axl demurred. "These horns never held up a halo."

Axl slunk nearer to the catfolk, giving Fortune's Hand a view of his intricate tattoo. His forearms and shoulders bore a network of thorny green vines coiled around scarlet roses. The design flowed beneath his red and gold breastplate.

If that wasn't enough of a clue, Squalk recognized Axl's pine and soapy fur scent from the two roses they'd found in the temple room.

Now only five feet away, from a height almost rivaling Oksana's (but for his backward knees), Axl's green eyes surveyed the three exotic women with relish. Far sweeter fantasies than revenge caused golden flecks to stand out in the green depths. He knew Sora to be reserved and awkward, but what a day if the strix should prove as coquettish and friendly as her comrade. A faun could dream.

OOC:

You all recall that General Phoenix was the leader referred to by the three 'metal-men' (with cyborg parts/Boons) who showed up at the Mwangi trading camp, men who expressed disdain for women (as warriors/leaders). The men almost started a fight over wanting to commandeer your prisoner, the Jekyll/Hyde-like gnome, and Cato as a birthday present for their general. (But they backed down.)

Twelve-year-old Mala told you a rumor that the metal-men had an interesting prisoner too, a master craftsman of magic weapons, whom they kept at a place he called "the Campground."

The Compound (its actual name) is also marked on the map the Hermit gave you (see Bizbee's Bag of Holding), and he warned you to steer clear of them.

You have not heard of the Cloud Pirates before now.
    Last edited by UngainlyDodge; 07-29-2014 at 01:15 AM.

Post Is That Bird Fair Game?

"Ach, dinna go hoggin' the new recruits to tha self," pouted a husky voice from the deck. Three more figures faded into view at the rail of the Dervish Dame and waved to the heroes.

Fortune's Hand recognized the spike armored braggart from the Mwangi camp with mutton chops and legs tapered like cannons. He attached a grappling hook and lowered a rope, then paused with one leg over the side. He chivalrously gestured for the two identical females to go first before sliding down to the grass behind them himself.

"Such tricks our old dog's learning," said one of the twins with a Brush accent like Chaulo the ape's. She scratched the cyborg man's crew cut. "Such treats we'll give him."

The females were identical black cat women with multiple bone piercings and ominous red facial tattoos. But they didn't talk like Mwangi and carried no weapons---their scanty camouflage green clothing left no room for concealment.

One of them zeroed in on Squalk and walked up to meet his eye. "Laird, I'd nae shoo you out of me bedchamber, small dark and feathery. I'd clip yer wings and keep ye singin'. Sora, dearie, doon tell us he's given ye troth?"

"Troth never put you off before, Daphne" her double countered, "unless it was you being offered it." To the heroes she explained, "I'm Les, and Daph and I are Ruins, too. You suss these aren't our real forms, yeah? Just a Mwangi treat we cooked up for Sinbad's yummy Uncle Chipo. For when he's done working the steam pumps...and ready to let off steam of his own."

Enya had left Sinbad with Chipo for training to be a human after the were-curse. At the sound of his Mwangi catfolk mentor's name, the tiger stood up and sniffed around. He caught no wind of the cat and, bored, began pawing at the increasingly pungent corpses swaddled in tents and sleeping bags. He growled at the drow stench.

Surprisingly the man who'd given himself the leering introduction as 'the Drill' refrained from the banter and made himself useful now. He saluted respectfully. "Cliveston Tanner, at your service. Whoo, smells like that thar garbage needs buried. Allow me?"

Metal ridges in a swirling pattern rose up on his lower limbs---now drill shaped. He kicked off his square boots, wrapped his arms around Xephanysse's tent, and burrowed into the earth with his rotating machine legs.

Sora blushed and muttered to the tengu in *Tian Xian, "I wish I had warned you about the Oasis folk, but I didn't know we'd be meeting them so soon." She looked away and added cautiously, "You don't have to answer that troth question, but an affirmation might discourage a few of them from trying to...entangle you."

OOC:

If we don't hear from Simoriah tonite, I'll find even more ways to move us forward, like I did taking care of the business of burial.

On the other hand, your DM is back from a weekend at a medieval faire, with bawdy banter to spare!
    Last edited by UngainlyDodge; 07-29-2014 at 12:30 PM.

Oksana gaped at Tamsyn's feline smile, wrinkling her nose at the all too familiar twitch of the cat's tail. She grit her teeth and glared at the satyr, her eyes glowing silver.

"I woke in the mood for blood," she snarled. "Is best if I get to MacGuffin soon, before this need must be satisfied elsewhere."
    "Friends don't let friends mend evil altars." - UngainlyDodge
    "The goblin died as he had lived, ignorant of what was going on and generally outraged." - UngainlyDodge

Default Squalk

Master Axl Rose
    Can we swing by our friend's house?
    Sora stays with me

Squalk tilted his head and gave Sora a glance, turned his head slowly, and blankly stared at the feline hussies impassionately for a moment. Cats eat birds. He then locked eyes with the satyr once again.