Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tauren's Contest of Champions

Default Tauren's Contest of Champions

Next weekend my ongoing Dragonlance campaign turns ten years old. About ninety-percent of it has been documented on these forums in my campaign journals for Key of Destiny, Spectre of Sorrows, Price of Courage, Nathril's "The Journal of Nathril Stoneshaper", and the play-by-post threads "The Journey North" and "Shadows of Ravenscar." As part of our all-gaming weekend we're doing a single-elimination tournament next Saturday, July 19th, to determine who is the biggest badass among our current crop of heroes. There's a prize for the winner and we're even having tee-shirts made to commemorate the weekend because seriously? How often does one campaign go on this long?

I'm going to do my best to update this thread as the fights happen (with a little help from my players I hope), but I will certainly let everyone know who wins.

Here's is the Round 1 bracket for the Contest of Champions!

Fight #1: Salinus vs. Pang
    Fight #2: Degamar vs. Balon
    Fight #3: Shroud vs. Simone
    Fight #4: Reichert vs. Artor
    Fight #5: Herschel vs. Titan
    Fight #6: Lily vs. Luthen

Since we had an odd number of PCs available I threw in our most experienced regular NPC, Thanator "Shroud" Grave-Eyes, to round things out. Here are the rules I drew up and posted on our gaming group's private Facebook page just so you guys have a clear picture of what's going on.

"Characters that prepare their spells ahead of time (Degamar, Luthen, Balon, etc.) will prepare one spell list for the duration of the tournament. Don't worry, spells and spell-like abilities are refreshed between battles. All damage will be automatically healed for the survivors at the end of a contest and disposable items (potions, scrolls, ammunition, etc.) come back as well. Yes, that means that items with charges will have the same number of charges they started with at the beginning of the first battle. Wizards don't need to carry their spellbooks with them into battle.
    As far as items go there are the following restrictions:
    1. You may only equip your character with items listed on your current character sheet. You may not use unidentified items or things you're just "holding on to." It has to be something you've used in-game or legitimately planned to use. Obviously, this restriction does not apply to disposable items. If you're not sure if something's okay to use ask me!
    2. Your characters may have no more then three melee weapons on their tournament character sheet and no more then one suit of armor and one shield.
    3. No one may have more then eight disposable items on their tournament character sheet. This includes items like wands, potions, scrolls, alchemist's fire, holy water, etc.
    4. Other magic items are restricted to the normal number of slots. This means no more then two rings, one pair of gloves, boots, cloaks, ioun stones, etc. for the purposes of these battles. Use common sense. If you're not sure by all means ask.
    5. You get one "freebie" magic item that doesn't necessarily fit into a body slot (a horn of blasting, a magic harp, etc.). It is also assumed you have your normal array of belt pouches, bandoleers, backpacks, and haversacks to carry stuff.
    6. Everybody can choose up to four pieces of equipment from the list of Adventuring Gear on p. 128 of the Players Handbook and one item from the list of Tools and Skill Kits. Naturally, these items must appear on your normal character sheet first. These battles will not be fought on flat empty battlefields! You never know when a grappling hook or set of thieves tools might come in handy.
    7. Cohorts and companions that are a part of a character's class advancement are allowed! For example, Wrenthistle can fight alongside Shroud, but Lily can't use Tadpole.
    "

The battlefields will be randomly generated by the highest ranked combatant in each fight from a list of the most epic battles of our campaign. This list was voted on by me, Arclight, Salinus, Luthen, pirategirl, rogue, and Nathril. I'll be announcing the Most Epic Battle of the Campaign (so far) that weekend as well and we'll certainly let you guys know too if you're interested.

I should also point out that this contest happens outside the continuity of the campaign. It's just something fun for us to do together to celebrate a decade of gaming.

So yeah, that's the deal. I'm curious to hear who you guys think will come out on top! Personally, I'm picking Salinus Wavebreaker to win it all!
    Last edited by Tauren_Kai-Jere; 07-12-2014 at 01:48 PM.
    Head Moderator &
    Member of the Whitestone Council

"Hey look! I'm the Code of Conduct! Check me out!" -The Code of Conduct

Looking forward to reading about it. Also, I didnt realize that the Journey North was part of the grand scheme of things. I am looking forward to reading through that.

My guess is Degamar.
    "It's not a game of Final Fantasy where you can step outside the plot for a bit and train up your stats, it's a potentially apocalyptic final chapter in an epic drama." - Brass Tiger Captain

That's quite a feat you have there, Tauren. Sounds like the tournament should be really fun. So the play-by-post games you listed here tie into the Age of Mortals campaign? Interesting. Gonna have to give them a look soon!
    Friendly Nexus Rules Editor

Send me some rules so I can edit and post them!!

Can't wait to kicks some butt!
    -Dragonlance Nexus Social Media Manager-
    GM - ICRP: Star Wars - Dawn of Defiance

Quote Originally Posted by elder
    Looking forward to reading about it. Also, I didnt realize that the Journey North was part of the grand scheme of things. I am looking forward to reading through that.
    Yeah, we never finished it though. We wound up plotting out what happened and folding it into Price of Courage. I may have talked a little about what went on there when the Heroes of Destiny met the other PCs (right around when Artor was resurrected).

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlinrox
    So the play-by-post games you listed here tie into the Age of Mortals campaign? Interesting. Gonna have to give them a look soon!
    Yeah, "The Journey North" featured three of the characters featured in "The Journal of Nathril Stoneshaper. That group of PCs eventually met our PCs from the Age of Mortals trilogy. If all goes according to plan they should all be teaming up in a permanent capacity in a few more sessions of PoC!

"Shadows of Ravenscar" was more periphery, but does affect events in my Age of Mortals campaign. Most notably it allowed me to stall a subplot so I could eventually focus all of the games' heroes on the Age of Mortals modules.
    Last edited by Tauren_Kai-Jere; 07-13-2014 at 06:34 PM.
    Head Moderator &

Default I'm way to Excited for This

Less then twelve hours until the Contest of Champions kicks off!

May the best man, woman, satyr, elf, kender, half-kender, dwarf, irda or draconian win!
    Head Moderator &

Good luck and congrats on the anniversary!
    "It's not a game of Final Fantasy where you can step outside the plot for a bit and train up your stats, it's a potentially apocalyptic final chapter in an epic drama." - Brass Tiger Captain

Shroud shall drink from the Cup of Champions before the evening sun disappears below the horizon!

(Probably not)
    Head Moderator &

The first fight is complete! In 6 rounds, Salinus defeated Pang!! I've been taking pictures, so I'll figure out a way to share them later.

Second fight is complete! Luthen defeated a stunned Lily at the Belmont house in Palanthas with a disintegrate spell that did 119 damage. The battle was over in three rounds. Well done Luthen!