Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: COTE Planner

Lightbulb NOT the Module You Know

Having Drake gives us four players, and means we are set! Not that I would turn it down if someone I knew threw their hat in the ring.

Depending on how often we post, I guess running this module will take 6 months or less but of course it's hard to say.

A warning to those who weren't in my ONE module that I've ever Dungeonmastered, "The Feast of Ravenmoor," this will NOT be an accurate representation of the module as written.

I go WAY off script. Not because I don't think the original is awesome or well planned, I just feel more creative and comfortable working with my own NPCs and stories while the module becomes more of a setting and basic outline.

I may invent or rename NPCs ("Mabs" the town tramp and gossip was a favorite) or change the relationships of the existing NPCS for comic effect or to introduce more drama to emotionally drive the story and get characters invested. I change the monsters and encounters, and often change when they happen. I even change the villains/final encounter to suit my imaginings and/or my players as their characters and stories develop.

Case in point, when I ran "Ravenmoor" (which goes a lot like the original horror movie "The Wicker Man") it went like this...

The missing drunkard/thief tax collector that the heroes were supposed to find became instead the dashing ex-rogue that your female employer (who was his former adventuring partner) had been pining over for years. And he didn't yet know he fathered her unborn child...(and it later became clear that becoming a dad was his fondest wish, since his wife died in childbirth...but trust me, the storylines aren't all that sentimental).

The evil spider-woman you are meant to fight became a kindly moth woman and the local healer.

SPOILER ALERT!!! The entire main plot (thwarting a cult doing human sacrifices) became a hunt for the town's children, who are supposedly away on a field trip---but some scrawled graffiti from the missing tax collector saying "WHERE ARE THE CHILDREN?! WHAT ARE THEY FEEDING IT?! IT WILL KILL AGAIN!" suggests otherwise.

See what I mean? Night and day, the module is just a springboard. On the plus side it means you can play the module as written and it will be like a fresh adventure, and the adventure you play here will be original.
    Last edited by UngainlyDodge; 02-25-2015 at 09:02 PM. Reason: wording
    "Fall into my pit trap, shame on you. Fill my pit trap with bloodthirsty sharp-toothed goblins with abyssal templates, shame on me." ---SuperBall

Default Hmmm

Prolly do a rogueish barbarian then, or a barbarianish rogue

Ya plan on continuing on after that module?

It's funny I havent ran thru that one... It came with the book didnt it?

Default To Be Continued?

Whether I continue with the next two modules in the series will depend on how well COTE goes and how much interest there is, I guess.

When you say it came with the book, what book? I bought a PDF of the module and plan to buy it in print soon.
    "Fall into my pit trap, shame on you. Fill my pit trap with bloodthirsty sharp-toothed goblins with abyssal templates, shame on me." ---SuperBall

Default Bring on the undead

I have spoken to other player and she would like to be a cleric!
    Last edited by Simoriah; 06-26-2014 at 08:45 PM.
    "Friends don't let friends mend evil altars." - UngainlyDodge
    "The goblin died as he had lived, ignorant of what was going on and generally outraged." - UngainlyDodge

When i bought the players handbook, it was a freebie... Never read it though

Default Simoriah is...

Last edited by Simoriah; 06-26-2014 at 11:06 PM.
    "The goblin died as he had lived, ignorant of what was going on and generally outraged." - UngainlyDodge

Default What do people want to be good at?

So even if we each try to cover one of the four classes mentioned, there is still some overlap. I have some very rare free time, so I've already started building my ifrit alchemist. I'm pretty flexible as an alchemist, so I was just wondering if anyone was going to have disable device/sleight of hand covered? What knowledges do people have covered?

Imma have disable device, bluff, slight o hand, survival, perception, and prolly intimidate for flava... Not gonna be too knowledge savy, but prolly have the elusive knowldge engineering

Default Just in Case

Knowledge engineering, just in case you have to construct additional pylons?

Covering the knowledges is always a plus. Knowledge Local will be a good one for someone whose backstory includes growing up in the town (or gathering dirt on the locals).

Post Character Building Guidelines, Part I

Character Building Guidelines: (For full Pathfinder texts, see www.paizo.com/prd)

1) Choose any class or alternate class features from Core Rulebook or Advanced Player's Guide

2) Choose any race from Core Rulebook, and/or any racial trait variations from the Advanced Race Guide. If you want an uncommon race from Advanced Race Guide instead, just check with me first. (Ixnay on any undead races.)

3) Choose two Traits from the Advanced Race Guide (See "New Rules" chapter), but you may not choose a Campaign Trait or the Social Trait "Adopted."

4) Assign these six ability scores to your Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence, Wisdom, & Charisma: 12, 13, 15, 15, 16, 18.

5) Take a bonus Feat in addition to the normal Feat at first level. (Unless you are human---they already get two.)

6) No Evil alignments allowed, if I even need to say this.

7) Instead of the usual skills, include Intimidate/Bluff/Diplomacy within the single skill "Persuasion." Count Acrobatics/Climb/Ride/Swim" within the single skill "Athletics." (Base your Athletics on your strongest Ability: Strength or Dexterity.)

8) Give yourself 4 bonus Skill ranks.

9) Give yourself 700 gold pieces to spend on gear, etc. (Recommended gear: Backpack, waterskin, bedroll or blanket of some kind, rope, grappling hook, torches, weapons appropriate to your class.)

I am sure I'll have to add more to this later, but this can start you off.

"COTE Character Sheets" thread is up and ready for you to post a first draft.