Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: COTE Planner

Lightbulb COTE Planner

Meet here to discuss plans and questions and crack jokes for our new Level One adventure "Crypt of the Everflame" with your fellow players and Dungeonmaster!
    "Fall into my pit trap, shame on you. Fill my pit trap with bloodthirsty sharp-toothed goblins with abyssal templates, shame on me." ---SuperBall

Default A drop of the creature

What creatures can we be? Any limits?
    "Friends don't let friends mend evil altars." - UngainlyDodge
    "The goblin died as he had lived, ignorant of what was going on and generally outraged." - UngainlyDodge

Cool Choosing Classes, Planning Characters

Hi, Folks!

First thing players will want to do is introduce themselves to each other on this Planner.

Second thing will be talking about the kind of character you want to play and deciding who is playing with what class and filling what role. Don't worry too much about covering the bases because this is flexible. If we don't cover the 4 classic roles (fighter, rogue, spellcaster, and cleric) we will make do with magic items.

For those of you new to Pathfinder d20 Roleplaying Game, the basic classes and roles/jobs are these:

1) Fighters/Rangers/Paladins/Monks (smash or kill things)

2) Rogues (acquire things or deal with locks/traps in a stealthy way)

3) Sorcerers/Wizards/Druids/Bards (cast spells to hurt or hinder the monsters, overcome an obstacle, or make the players tougher or more defended)

4) Clerics (heal players, cast spells, and deal with undead creatures)

BUT your class defines what you do BEST, not the ONLY things you can do! Clerics can smash and kill, and fighters can feed people healing potions, whatever the situation and your personality calls for!

You'll also want to know about the story you're taking part in so you can plan your character.

Crypt of the Everflame, or COTE, is about four or five young people (that's your characters, between the ages of 13-18) in the sleepy bordertown hamlet of Kassen at the edge of an enormous forest in a rustic (think medieval) land called Nirmathas.

It's a quiet town whose main industries are woodworking and metalsmithing and whose main entertainment is local festivals with picnics and talent shows and feats of skill.

But Kassen does have a town wizard, a family of sorcerers with magic in their blood, a Vanara (monkeyperson) and Catfolk running their own young adventurers camp, and other various impressive retired heroes living among them. In all likelihood the retired heroes will be your characters' mentors, one for each of you.

The game begins on a festival day where your young heroes compete to visit the Crypt of the Everflame where the town's founder, Mr. Kassen himself, is buried.

In the crypt you will face cunning traps, puzzles, and temple guardians in a coming-of-age ritual whose objective is to carry a torch lit from the tomb's eternal Everflame back to town. That flame will light the bonfire in the center of town and kick off the annual harvest festival, and symbolize another year of prosperity through hard winter.

Once people start posting on this Planner we will discuss things further, but this should be enough to get your imaginations going!

Can't wait to game with you!

-SheL
    Last edited by UngainlyDodge; 02-25-2015 at 06:33 PM. Reason: wording
    "Fall into my pit trap, shame on you. Fill my pit trap with bloodthirsty sharp-toothed goblins with abyssal templates, shame on me." ---SuperBall

I will let others choose their classes first since I have ideas for all of them. If everyone else chimes in and says they don't care, I'll pick one
    "The goblin died as he had lived, ignorant of what was going on and generally outraged." - UngainlyDodge

Smile Good Question #1!

Quote Originally Posted by Simoriah View Post
    What creatures can we be? Any limits?
    Well, I don't want to overwhelm our newest member with choices (a mistake I made with someone during my first Forum game, The Island of Doctor MacGuffin). I will ask Sarha what kind of character she imagines playing and start her off looking at the core races (human, dwarf, elf, halfling/hobbit, gnome, half-orc, or half-elf).

Still, since you have a few games under your belt, Jen, why not look at the Race Guide on www.paizo.com/prd and let me know if one of those races grabs your fancy and why?

It would be a bit easier on me as Dungeonmaster (DM) if nobody were a flying creature because that circumvents some challenges, especially at first level. But you could be a flying creature whose hasn't gotten the hang of it yet or has underdeveloped wings...

Also on the subject of choosing races, I was thinking JUST to give you a strong sense of camaraderie that it would be really fun to have your characters be siblings or cousins. But that is flexible---you could be friends in a secret club, or neighbors, or related by marriage, or kids from the same orphanage. Give me your thoughts!

***We ended up going with "Characters met previously by participating in the same summer adventurers camp," instead.
    Last edited by UngainlyDodge; 02-25-2015 at 06:35 PM. Reason: wording, bold text

Default I guess I could have said that here...

Well...I would love to play. I am thinking. I do rather enjoy playing a spell caster, so a cleric or a bard would be great for me. But I am flexible, I also have some ideas for a monk...so....
    Jes
    The mystical divinity of unashamed felinity Round the cathedral rang 'Vivat' Life to the everlasting cat!

Quote Originally Posted by dustyangel74 View Post
    Well...I would love to play. I am thinking. I do rather enjoy playing a spell caster, so a cleric or a bard would be great for me. But I am flexible, I also have some ideas for a monk...so....
    Jes
    >happy dance< Jes is in!!!! WOOT!
    Last edited by Simoriah; 06-26-2014 at 08:44 PM.

Wink Color Coding?

Hey, Jen,

Since you are generously sharing your screen name with our new player, would you mind color-coding your posts? So that we always know which ones are from you because they are in dark blue or something like that? I don't want to ask her to distinguish herself every time, cuz' that's one more thing for her to remember.

And I agree, Huzzah for another game with Jes!!!
    Last edited by UngainlyDodge; 06-26-2014 at 01:41 PM.

Talking Huzzah

I'm so down with this

Kinda wanna play a female halfling rogue/barbarian... Think Conan, but tiny and female

But I'm down with whatever

Thumbs up Female Conan? Huzzah!

Love your idea of female Conan hobbit, er, halfling Drake! You can execute a pantherish twist any time! But having seen all your pbp characters on the forum I know anything you come up with will be highly original.

My only caution is that we are Level 1, and the adventure ends before you reach Level 2, which would mean we won't reach a multi-class stage. You can definitely flavor yourself as a rogue barbarian, though! Maybe you're not originally from around Kassen, or maybe you and your family member/mentor/what have you like to live off the land in the forest? All up to you!