Page 1 of 56 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Dragons on the River of Time [Fourth Quest - "If This be Doomsday"]

Default Dragons on the River of Time [Fourth Quest - "If This be Doomsday"]

The Prologue
    “What can I do for you Loren?” the Wayfarer asked the paladin creeping about in his sanctuary.

The huldrefolk sorcerer had continued to wear his human guise during the rest of their extended stay in his home. As well as Loren Soth could tell this was the third “day” in the Wayfarer's sanctuary since they had returned from Alth. This place had no windows that he had found, no sunlight or moonlight or stars to tell a man when or where he was. The phantom grandfather clock hadn't even tolled it's random bells to wake them. They had been allowed to rest as long as they wanted to. Loren guessed this because it wasn't time to plunge back into the River of Time just yet. He suspected when it was that time again the invisible clock would chime.

Still each “day” he woke from his “nightly” rest he rose and prayed to Mishakal before he ate a small meal and tended to his weapons and armor. The Wayfarer had seen fit to provide him with a simple stand for his plate mail, just as the others had been granted small amenities in addition to their beds and new silver wash basins. Ulin had found a simple writing desk with a low-backed chair in his bedchamber, Simone a large wooden wardrobe with a mirror inside one door, and Beldyn had been given a small Istaran alter to Paladine. Luccia's gift had been the most puzzling to them all when she'd shown it to them – a beautifully carved saddle stand for the military saddle she carried about in her enchanted sack. It had even come with a cover of crushed blue velvet to protect it from dust and grime. A princely gift for a spare piece of gear. Even the Wayfarer's friendly gestures were strange, Loren thought.

Rituals and furniture did not make a home, however, and Loren missed his.

The Wayfarer's wizened brown head peered over the top of his cloudy green floating orb, giving him a ghoulish appearance as he studied the champion of Mishakal from a distance.

“You want to go home, don't you?” he asked plainly. "More than the others. You miss your family a great deal."

OOC -
    DM Speak: I'm going to assume that Beldyn would have tended to people's ability score damage with the appropriate spells during the last two days, so everyone is completely healed. It's the “morning” of your third “day” in the Wayfarer's home. Here are the results of Ulin studying the various unidentified items:
    Ulin, DC 18 Spellcraft check succeeds. Identifies a faint aura of evocation coming from the ring.
    Ulin, DC 20 Spellcraft check succeeds automatically. The gold ring is a ring of minor spell-storing.
    Ulin, DC 32 Spellcraft check succeeds. The rod is a rod of cancellation.
    Ulin, DC 27 Spellcraft check succeeds. The crossbow is a +2 seeking heavy crossbow.

jake, feel free to make your request of the Wayfarer!
    Last edited by Tauren_Kai-Jere; 05-25-2015 at 03:17 PM.
    Head Moderator &
    Member of the Whitestone Council

"Hey look! I'm the Code of Conduct! Check me out!" -The Code of Conduct

"Everything I do, I do for them," Loren said, agreeing with the Wayfarer. "I am here to protect them, and I am dedicated to that....but that doesn't make it any less hard."

"I feel like I'm losing them here, losing myself," his actions in the last world still troubled him. He knew that he had the ability for darkness, that much was evident from the Death Knight Lord Soth, but he never wanted to imagine himself as that person. His family kept him grounded. His wife, more lovely than any living creature he had ever seen, and with a heart to match. And his son, young and energetic as pure as only children and kender can be. They kept him going, but it had been so long.

He braced himself to make his request, not knowing how the Wayfarer would take it. "You can do so many amazing things...could you help me see them? See my family? I know I am needed here and for now I will stick with that, but I need to see them to keep going."

Characters:
    -Loren Soth (LG Male Human Fighter 7/Paladin 3; Dragons on the River of Time)
    -Kadrien Soth (Zabrak Soldier 5/Jedi 2; Star Wars-Dawn of Defiance)
    -Victaria Grey (NG Female Cleric of Irori 5; Rise of the Runelords)

The old man smiled and nodded to the paladin.

“I can certainly try,” he said. “Seeing into your particular fork of the River is going to be a bit...murkier than normal given the failure of your last mission, but let us see what we can see!”

Continuing to hover cross-legged in front of his huge crystal ball the old man closed his eyes and began to slowly massage the air about the globe with his weathered human hands. Loren almost didn't hear it at first, but the Wayfarer was murmuring to himself in the same strange musical language he spoke when he evoked his most potent time magics.

Loren waited patiently for what seemed like an eternity, his eyes fixated on the great orb that had shown him so many wonders and horrors since he'd been brought to this place. Every time the mist inside started to form an image, real or imagined, he felt his heart quicken in his chest. Yet every time he was let down. No image of Korrine or the boy appeared.

He realized that after the longest Quarter-Watch of his life that the Wayfarer was perspiring heavily and his that skin was beginning to take on a sickly gray pall, not unlike that of his true form. Just when Loren thought he could see his wife's slender outline in the temporal fog it dissipated into cold empty crystal.

The Wayfarer exhaled painfully. His human skin returned to it's normal nut-brown color in an instant.

“I'm sorry,” he panted. “The waters there are to murky. The temporal corruption is to great for my magics to pierce. I could sense them, but not see them. I'm sorry Loren,” he said sincerely.

OOC -
    Loren, DC 24 Diplomacy check (d20+16): 31. Succeeds. The Wayfarer will try and conjure up Loren's family in his globe.
    Wayfarer, DC 45 Use Magic Device check (d20+21): 35. Fails.
    Last edited by Tauren_Kai-Jere; 10-01-2014 at 10:40 PM.
    Head Moderator &

"Temporal corruption?" Loren nearly shouted, his heart feeling like it was about to burst out of his chest. His insides coiled with fear. Having been so close to seeing them only made it all the worse. "What does that mean? Is their timeline in danger? Is she in danger? Tell me, damn you!"

Characters:

“They will be fine, your world will be fine,” the Wayfarer said calmly to the panicking paladin. “They're in no immediate danger. Focus on the tasks ahead of you and you'll be home with your family before you know it. I promise. We can try and look in on them another time.”

The old man began to drift back towards his globe.

“Please, I would appreciate it if you'd fetch the others. In order to get you lot home again soon, everyone needs to get back in the water. We can't wait any longer. Destiny awaits!”
    Head Moderator &

Loren didn't know whether he could trust this strange creature. What if it was all a trick to keep him going and doing the Wayfarer's bidding? All his hopes had been set on seeing them again, remembering what he was fighting for. Instead all he was left with were fears and worries.

Loren stood staring at the Wayfarer ready to ask, to demand, that he do more to see his family, that he send him home immediately so Loren could make sure they were okay. But he didn't. Seconds passed and the words never escaped his throat. He was a man of duty, and right now he had to believe that the best way to help his family and everyone else was to keep going on these insane missions and set time right.

Mishakal help me if I'm wrong, he thought as he silently left the room to find the others.

Characters:

Beldyn had spent the past few days praying, studying, and preaching to anyone that would listen, which was generally himself. He wanted to talk to Ulin and Soth but the opportunities never presented themselves. The same with Simone and Luccia. Everyone needed time and space. Beldyn was grateful enough for the alter in his quarters, it really did make a big difference.

While he went out of his way to talk to the others, there was one person he actively avoided. He detested the Wayfarer. The thing had lied to them and Beldyn was sure that that was not the end of its manipulations.

ooc: Religion check on huldrefolk?
    Roll(1d20)+15: 17,+15 Total:32
    "It's not a game of Final Fantasy where you can step outside the plot for a bit and train up your stats, it's a potentially apocalyptic final chapter in an epic drama." - Brass Tiger Captain

The group of time lost champions assembled in the Wayfarer’s sanctuary as the phantom clock tolled sixteen. None of them had seen their host over the last two days except in passing. Nearly every time they had seen him he'd been hovering over his massive floating crystal ball, lost in the depths of the River of Time. The huldrefolk's old man guise looked exhausted to everyone. There were dark rings under his blue eyes. His wrinkled, tanned brown skin hung more limply on his face than any of them had ever seen it. For a whimsical fey sorcerer he looked absolutely haggard. Yet there was still that spark of wonder and excitement in his voice as he drifted lazily around the orb and addressed them for the third or, in some cases, fourth time.

“Hello! Hello! I'm afraid this journey may be your most difficult yet. Our failure on Alth has changed the course you must travel in the River, although it would seem that the Guardian was the only one of us expecting this bit of divergence,” he said.

He tapped the globe a few times and muttered a few words. Nothing happened. The Wayfarer sighed.

“There is very little I can show you about your next task, but I can tell you what I know of this world's history based on my previous travels.”

He floated slowly to the top of the orb and settled into a familiar cross-legged position in the air above his scrying device.

“I supposed this world is the most like yours Ulin. When the mad god Chaos was defeated at the end of the Chaos War, Takhisis, as she did in a few other forks, did not steal Krynn away from it's natural place in the stars. This allowed for relative peace in the aftermath of the conflict. However, in this fork of the River the Knights of Solamnia, Orders of High Sorcery, and Knights of Takhisis were so badly devastated by the events of the war they banded together to form an entirely new organization to maintain peace and order.”

There was a flicker of something from within the Wayfarer's crystal ball that went unnoticed by the old man as he continued to talk.

“They called it the 'Metamagic Alliance of Geopolitical Enforcement' or 'M.A.G.E.' for short,” he chortled. “Someone...” He coughed. It sounded a great deal like he'd said the name “Dalamar” when he did so. “Someone very much wanted the acronym to spell 'mage,' I think.”

Still smiling he continued his tale. The flickering green light within his globe was getting stronger.

“Jenna was the first Grand Master of this new Conclave. And it needed to be a Conclave with the magical threats that were presenting themselves,” he said. “Wyldings.”

The image of a group of humans and kender sorcerers in colorful leather uniforms battling each other in a crowded city street exploded into being through the flickering green fog inside the globe. A few of the spellcasters had matching “Os” on their belts or stitched into their armor.

“Ah! There were are!” the Wayfarer said pleasantly as he flew behind it to better control the image.

An incredible display of magical abilities was on display – pyromancy, cryomancy, telekinesis – all wreaking havoc on the various combatants and the city around them.

“As divine magic became increasingly rare Wild Magic experienced an unprecedented surge in power. So much so that an increasing number of beings from various races and cultures were born with natural magical gifts. Potent ones too. Kender who could read your mind or turn into organic adamantite and lift a wagon,” he explained. “Gully dwarves with retractable claws and excessive body hair. You get the picture.”

The picture in his globe abruptly vanished.

“Oh no! Don't do that you stupid thing!” he said and tapped it rather forcibly with one wrinkled brown fist.

OOC -
    Beldyn, Knowledge (religion) check fails automatically. Sorry elder, not the right skill.

I will pause in my info dump for comments from the peanut gallery!
    Last edited by Tauren_Kai-Jere; 10-01-2014 at 10:44 PM.
    Head Moderator &

Beldyn listened politely to the list of names and events that meant nothing to him. His interest was piqued when Takhisis stealing the world was mentioned. Another reason why Paladine needed to play a bigger, more direct role in the world.

These thoughts were quickly forgotten when images of wild magic flashed in front of him. "And so it always is with power when it is forgotten where the power comes from." He interjected, saddened to see that the peoples of Krynn had learned nothing from their history. "They will bring about a Ansalon-racking destruction, as they always have."
    "It's not a game of Final Fantasy where you can step outside the plot for a bit and train up your stats, it's a potentially apocalyptic final chapter in an epic drama." - Brass Tiger Captain

Luccia managed to pay attention to the images in the orb despite the Wayfarer's talking, She interjected, "Prithee, what was that there, the whole spectacle flickered a moment there like a candle in a draft."