Page 1 of 135 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: RotR Chapter Two: The Skinsaw Murders

Default RotR Chapter Two: The Skinsaw Murders

Jack inhaled the freshly tilled earth beneath his boots. The country air was clear and rejuvenating. Jack had retired to his cottage after the festivities, opening his purse strings to a local work crew. In no time at all, the cottage had begun to look brilliant. A bunkhouse was raised, and Jack's farmhands had begun to plow furrows almost immediately. The knight looked around himself at everything that had begun to take shape: a home, land, and a family. He turned at the sound of hoofbeats, and saw Jimmy galloping toward him on horseback. His "Squire" hauled on the reins, skidding to a stop near his master. "Jack! A guardsman came to the house! Says the Sheriff needs to see you right away. He left this." The teen leaned over in the saddle, dropping something into Jack's hand. The bravo turned it over in his gloved palm. It was a metal disk, embossed with the image of a lantern. It trailed a short length of light blue ribbon. A heavy stick pin jutted from the back. Jack recognized the symbol worn by the Sandpoint Guard. Jimmy grinned. "Apparently you're being summoned...and deputized, master."

OOC: still more to come. Hang tight, everybody.
    Last edited by SuperBall; 05-12-2014 at 05:31 PM.
    Dragonlanceforums.com Moderater - To be one, ask one!

Do you love the Dragonlace Forums? Do they provide you with hours of entertainment? Why not donate? Keep the hamsters running. Ask me how!

Default Gus and Shalelu

The Elf strolled lightly down the hall after climbing the stairs of the Rusty Dragon. She limped along on her shattered knee, wrapped in salves and tight bandages. She stood frozen outside of Gus' room, hand raised to knock. She could hear him on the other side of the door, swearing loudly. Shalelu tried to wipe the puzzled expression off of her face before rapping loudly on the door. It flew open, and Gus answered. At least, she thought it was Gus. His cheek was reddened and burned, and he was missing an eyebrow. There was some kind of black sooty substance all over both hands, and his clothes were stained with some kind of unidentifiable gelatinous goo.

"He..hello." She said, taken aback.

OOC: still coming. Dave, here's your chance to roleplay with Shalelu, but let me get the others set up first...

Do you love the Dragonlace Forums? Do they provide you with hours of entertainment? Why not donate? Keep the hamsters running. Ask me how!

Default Victaria

Victaria squinted in her chamber in the House of Blue Stones. Her candles had burned low...again. She set her pen down, leaning over in her chair and grasping for the wicker basket that held stacks of tallow candles. Lighting new tapers, she replaced the low nubs in her candlesticks. She was very nearly finished with a manuscript of her experiences saving the town of Sandpoint from a Goblin invasion. A handful of letters had gone out to various members of the Pathfinders lodge in Magnimar, and as a Thassilonian scholar, Victaria had garnered the respect of learned folk from all over, including the resident sage, Brodert Quink, self-styled expert on Thassilon. She had poured over the texts, reading all that she could, looking for scraps and clues about the people and places that she'd experienced. A knock at her open doorway caused her to turn in her chair, craning her neck to see the new arrival. The sore muscles in her back ached in protest at the small motion. A young girl in the plain garb of a monk sat on her knees, bent almost entirely over. "I have a parcel for you, if you please." Was all that she said.

OOC: Almost there.

Default Eulalia

Eulalia felt the heat on her cheek. All about her, her room was dark, to aid in her attempts at focus and concentration. Her face leapt out of the pitch blackness of her surroundings, orange hues flickering and dancing across sharp cheekbones, and a mouth pressed in determination.

I must not fear...

Sweat rolled down her cheek, escaping from beneath the cloth wrap around her head which hid the deformity that she'd carried with her into adulthood: a bald head. She forced herself to look at it, glowing with a benign sort of wickedness in her open palm. She watched the flame dance in the watery expanse of her eyes, and the noblewoman saw...

A burning building, and the heat. The heat was unbearable. She could still smell the smoke, could still feel a slow, hot death crawling across her body. She could still hear herself, screaming. Her body shook, a slow tremor at first, and then the convulsions grew until she couldn't contain them. Her open hand, which held the one thing that controlled her life so perfectly, snapped shut and balled into a fist. Her knees gave out, and she slumped to the floor, exhausted. Her breath came hard and ragged, anxiety having stolen her ability to draw it easily. Lalia swept the back of her hand across her face, unsure if she was removing sweat or tears. She'd do better tomorrow. A knock came at her door. Answering it, she saw a man dressed in the livery of the Sandpoint Guard standing before her. He pressed a leather bag into her hand. "The Sheriff demands to see you my lady. Something grave is afoot."

OOC: okay, that's everybody! Go ahead and roleplay through these opening scenes. I'll bring in Tyler shortly.
    Last edited by SuperBall; 05-13-2014 at 03:17 PM.

Default Gus & Shalelu (Sitting in a Tree?)

Of course this is the time she decides to come visit! Gus thought to himself angrily.

He stared down at his dirty clothes and gently rubbed his singed brow. It would seem that his pentagram tattoo was no longer obscured by any pesky hair.

Might as well make the best of it, he thought.

“Come in,” he said brusquely and ushered her into his room/laboratory at the inn.

As soon as the elven woman had hobbled across the threshold Gus took off his sticky shirt and shut the door. A tiny one thousand year old jade philosopher hung uncomfortably between his fuzzy pectorals. He liked to pretend that the little green man hated the sweat and goop as much as he did. He couldn't argue with the results, however.

Gus strode past the mantle where his grandfather's sword cane rested and carefully uncluttered the chair that had been acting as a book stand for Victaria's borrowed alchemical tome. Although his weapons and armor were stored neatly on a covered rack in the corner of the room farthest from the haphazard lab set-up he knew the alchemist's lab was still a giant mess. He was still learning. He made a mental note not to tell Victaria about his latest failure to create tangle arrows.

“Have a seat. With all of this stuff cooking and exploding all the time I have to keep my door shut or Bethana has a fit,” he said matter-a-factly. “For the record watching a halfling have a fit is hilarious.”

Gus the Alchemist plopped wearily down onto his bed, just across from her in the chair.

“What can I do for you, my lady?” he said with a sly grin as he laid back on the bed, half-naked, on his elbows.
    Head Moderator &
    Member of the Whitestone Council

"Hey look! I'm the Code of Conduct! Check me out!" -The Code of Conduct

Default Gus and Shalelu

The Elf maid rolled her eyes at the display. It was things like that that her people didn't understand when they casted her out. Mortals had such zeal, such zest for life. They were nothing like her dour kin. It was things like that that made her fall in love with...never mind. There was work to be done. "Since I'm useless and I can't range out, the Sheriff thought that I could convince you to attend him. There's been a, well, maybe you should see it for yourself." She withdrew an object from a belt pouch. "Catch!" A flick of her wrist sent the thing spinning toward Gus. He managed to haul his hand up fast enough to catch it, collapsing onto his mattress without an elbow to support him any longer. Recovering, he inspected the item. It was a badge of some sort, trailing a bit of ribbon in the color of Sandport. "I'm guessing he thinks that an Asmodean can keep order." She said, feigning boredom. "I'd put on a shirt first. Hate to bleed in the line of duty."
    Last edited by SuperBall; 05-13-2014 at 10:09 AM.

Default Gus & Shalelu

Gus lay on his back grinning at the badge while Shalelu talked. This was probably the first smart thing the sheriff had done since Gus had arrived in Sandpoint.

“Wait? What did you call me?” he said, sitting up abruptly and giving her a hard stare.
    Head Moderator &
    Member of the Whitestone Council

"Hey look! I'm the Code of Conduct! Check me out!" -The Code of Conduct

Default The Merriman Farmstead

Jack let the metallic disk dance between his fingers, flipping it dextrously like an oversized coin.

"James, my boy," he crooned. "Your master I am not. We've had a good break. Time to get back to work."

Jack returned to the cottage, freshly painted and restored. There he dressed in his new leathers, gathering his weapons and other belongings. While retrieving them, he gazed out the wide window, now clean and sparkling. The new bunkhouse was visible, standing vigil before the newly plowed fields. His new hirelings toiled in the sun, and the gentleman smiled. Life was turning for the better. Finished, he stepped outside, the old floorboards creaking less then he remembered in years.

"Let's go Jimmy..."
    -Dragonlance Nexus Social Media Manager-
    GM - ICRP: Star Wars - Dawn of Defiance

Victaria had just been about to attempt to rub out the knot on her shoulder and proofread her finalized work one more time when the knock startled her.

"Oh," was all Victaria said in response as she looked at the young monk. The residents of Sandpoint had taken to naming her one of the "Heroes" and treated her with deference, something that made her deeply uncomfortable. The others had done all the hard work and the only credit Victaria could take belonged to Irori anyway. But no one had ever listened when Victaria explained this, and what they saw as he humbleness only made many in the House of Blue Sands appreciate her more. Luckily, after the first few days they had stopped bothering her when she was at work, at least. They had also bent over backwards to help her whenever she asked, like when she had set out to help Gus with his alchemical creations and had needed a book on the subject. She wondered if he was taking good care of that book before forcing the thought from her mind for now. All in all the adoration of the townspeople was a strange situation for her, and one she wouldn't get used to.

After several long seconds Victaria realized that "oh" was not an appropriate response to the monk's question. "Th-thank y-you!" Victaria said a little too loudly and forcefully. She stood up and walked to the door, embarrassed that the woman was on her knees before her. "Who is it f-f-f," she stopped in frustration and forced her self to take a quick moment to calm herself. "Who is it from?" she asked, proud at herself.

Characters:
    -Loren Soth (LG Male Human Fighter 7/Paladin 3; Dragons on the River of Time)
    -Kadrien Soth (Zabrak Soldier 5/Jedi 2; Star Wars-Dawn of Defiance)
    -Victaria Grey (NG Female Cleric of Irori 5; Rise of the Runelords)

Default Gus and Shalelu

Shalelu tapped her temple indicating the tattoo. "I don't care what people believe, so long as they get the job done. Come on, walk with me." She made the slow, ponderous turn, hobbling out of the room.