Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for advice/comments/approval on my Cosplay...

Aw hell, while I'm here, a bit more blurb.
    I've made the robes, using an old velvet dress as a base. I split the side seams and added panels of plain black fabric, both to make it easier to move in and to give it a bit more volume. Sleeves and hood are on... Quick and dirty test photo... still need to lose a bit more weight! Then it's on to accessories and make-up!

I think you can see what I meant about the wig, it's a bit too full and frou-frou for my liking. I've left the long sleeves on the dress under the ones I've attached, so it falls down over my wrists.

Aw hell, here, have another rubbish picture, I'm feeling generous!

Who knew the Master of Past and Present would have a pink phone case?

The double sleeves are a great touch.
    Did you know that Dragonlance fandom has a podcast? Check out the Dragonlance Canticle!

Quote Originally Posted by sublimelyridiculous View Post
    ... still need to lose a bit more weight! Then it's on to accessories and make-up!

I think you can see what I meant about the wig, it's a bit too full and frou-frou for my liking.
    So where in the UK are you? I'm from London.

Also - you don't need to lose any weight - never think that please! If you want your face to look more angular experiment with make up. Not celery.

For the wig, some hairdressers will cut it for you if you ask nicely.
    Sitting on Cyan...

Khaisai recommends: Film - Horns Music - The Beards Book - As You Wish

Aw, thanks Honestly, I'm trying to lose weight for me, and I'm doing it sensibly with exercise and a balanced diet. I'm not into crash dieting, and especially not just for the sake of cosplay!

I'm living in lovely Bournemouth, down on the south coast. Lovely beaches... in fact, I made a little trip to the beach just the other day, and scooped up a bag of sand, much to the amusement of the tourists, I'm sure! Cleaned it, sieved out the ciggy butts, and then baked it in the oven to sterilise it. Now I have a jar of clean sand sitting next to my jar of rose petals.

Yup, that's right, I'm gathering accurate spell components. I've allowed a spider to take up residence in a skylight so that I can gather her webs, which I'm planning on keeping in folded grease proof paper, and then in a pouch. Also need to get myself a bag of marbles....

I've made a start on the pouches. I've decided that they should all be slightly different, for ease of identification. So at the moment, I have two leather pouches (one an old wallet and the other scavenged from a hand bag), one embroidered silk pouch, and two in velvet, one large and one small. All black, of course. Which component goes with which, I'm not sure yet, except one of the leather ones, which will hold a rabbit skin and an acrylic amber coloured rod. Any suggestions for components I'm missing?

The sand has another use. I'm going to be using it to temper the quills I'm using to write the spellbook. I'm compiling a sort of 'greatest hits' book, with recognisable spells, and trying to put in background info as well as any gestures used. I'm writing it in 'common' so everyone can enjoy it The hardest thing so far has been trying to use someone else's handwriting....

Damn. I don't suppose you're coming to Gencon?
    Did you know that Dragonlance fandom has a podcast? Check out the Dragonlance Canticle!

Unfortunately not. Wish I was though, it looks awesome!

So, let's talk make-up!
    Here's what happens if you paint yourself gold...

This is a gold make-up I got from Lush, and I think you can see some of the problems... it falls into every crease in your skin, and every time you move, it cracks and flakes away. If I were to do this, by the end of the day my face would just be glittery, and my robes would be covered in gold flecks. Not a good look!

So instead, I looked up some tutorials online on how to paint NMM which, for those of you who don't paint miniatures, is a way of creating a metallic effect without using metallic paint. Here's my first attempt, complete with stand-in contact until I get my custom ones made!

I think I can push the highlights and lowlights, make the whole thing more dramatic, but it's going to take some practice to get the right look. Wish me luck!

Time for more words!

I've started compiling a list of spell components that are referenced in the books, at least the more common ones. There's a passage in 'Dragons of the Hourglass Mage' which lists some of the components Raistlin was carrying at that point, and apart from that the odd offhanded reference. so far my list is cobweb, bat guano, rose petals, skin of a black snake, black oil, coffin nails, cowry shells, sand, amber rod and rabbit fur. Any you guys think I've missed? Most of this should be relatively easy to source (although I know that I have the skin of a black Mamba somewhere, but I have no idea where it's ended up!), but I think I may skip the bat guano, for obvious reasons.... I'm also planning on picking up a few things that aren't cannon, I'm planning on having a trick or two up my sleeves

Here's something I've been turning a lot of thought to, and again, if anyone has any ideas, I'd be grateful. The dagger and leather thong. How, HOW is something tied to your forearm supposed to be released with 'a flick of the wrist'?! I've come up with a couple of designs, involving springs and hooks, but I'm worried it'll end up too bulky to conceal. Thoughts, anyone?

Any you guys think I've missed?
    In one of the Leaves from the Inn of the Last Home source books, I believe there was an article about basic herblore. I suggest looking in that. I also suggest, among common stuff, go to your spice rack. I've found that when I dress up as a wizard, my pouches would be filled with tiny packets of:
    Marjoram (ala rabbit stew), ground mace, five spice, powered ginger, salt, sea salt (blue and pink crystals in a tiny bag tend to wow people at the convention's food court), powered garlic, 1 clove of fresh garlic, Paprika, Cayenne pepper, Chili powder, dried minced onions, cinnamon, sugar. etc. Basically the idea is that if anyone wanted to season Otik's spiced potatoes, there you go.

Here's something I've been turning a lot of thought to, and again, if anyone has any ideas, I'd be grateful. The dagger and leather thong. How, HOW is something tied to your forearm supposed to be released with 'a flick of the wrist'?! I've come up with a couple of designs, involving springs and hooks, but I'm worried it'll end up too bulky to conceal. Thoughts, anyone?
    I have an idea. but it's hard to conceptualize in the written word. There's three straps. one at the wrist, one near the elbow, and between them. Mid strap and elbow strap are connected by a strap with a metal u shaped bar. in the metal bar is a wood block connected to a spring, that is also connected to the wrist strap. between the wrist strap and the midstrap is a locking pully. When you twist the wrist more than 90 degrees, a keypin is pulled, releasing the wood block from it's locked position. the wood block at a foot on one end that pulls the dagger from it's resting place closer to the elbow strap, thus making it spring out.

The only problem from that design, is that if you flick your wrist, the dagger will shoot out and slice your fingers. So I've never constructed a safe one.
    Fanwank
    Formerly from Wikipedia, circa 2006-7,
    A fanwank is [...] an attempt by fans of a work of fiction to explain or justify plot holes or continuity errors, often through convoluted contrivances...

Time for more words!

I've started compiling a list of spell components that are referenced in the books, at least the more common ones. There's a passage in 'Dragons of the Hourglass Mage' which lists some of the components Raistlin was carrying at that point, and apart from that the odd offhanded reference. so far my list is cobweb, bat guano, rose petals, skin of a black snake, black oil, coffin nails, cowry shells, sand, amber rod and rabbit fur. Any you guys think I've missed? Most of this should be relatively easy to source (although I know that I have the skin of a black Mamba somewhere, but I have no idea where it's ended up!), but I think I may skip the bat guano, for obvious reasons.... I'm also planning on picking up a few things that aren't cannon, I'm planning on having a trick or two up my sleeves
    Don't forget the pouch of marjoram! For the bat guano, how about a substitute - like chocolate coated raisins? Would be a great yuk factor, and also provides a handy snack.

Oh - and have you looked at Snazaroo gold metallic paint? Cheap, stays on, provides good coverage. I'd recommend a fixative too so there's no smears.
    Sitting on Cyan...

Khaisai recommends: Film - Horns Music - The Beards Book - As You Wish