Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for advice/comments/approval on my Cosplay...

Default Looking for advice/comments/approval on my Cosplay...

Greetings, DL Forum!

I shan't bore you with backstory, suffice it to say that I've been through a tough time, put on a bunch of weight, etc. Needing a project to pull me out of my doldrums, I've finally decided to do a Raistlin Cosplay... only about 15 years after first reading the books!

Not just any Cosplay, though... I'm trying to make it as accurate to the source material as possible, so I turn to you fans on the forum for any advice you'd care to give. I'll update periodically with progress, and I'll drop some pictures in my next post. I would also say, if anyone else wants to post about their own Cosplays, either pictures or looking for advice, that's fine with me. If this thread turns into a bunch of peeps obsessing over costume details, so much the better!

So, to kick things off, here's a link to my Deviantart gallery showing the building of my Staff of Magius... I'm not 100% happy with it, but my friends have been cooing over it, so at least it impresses the peasants!
    http://sublimelyridiculous.deviantar...llery/49067913

Neat stuff! Where does the switch for the light hide?
    Did you know that Dragonlance fandom has a podcast? Check out the Dragonlance Canticle!

Best advice I can give - get a good wig! Really makes the difference.
    Sitting on Cyan...

Khaisai recommends: Film - Horns Music - The Beards Book - As You Wish

The switch is under the leather grip, I think in some shots you can see a slight bump. I made the switch very sensitive, so you don't have to visibly squeeze to light the LED. When I have the right tools I'm planning on making a new staff, and hiding the switch by recessing it into the shaft.

I have what I hope is a good enough wig, at least within my current budget! I'm going to take it to a wig shop soon to get it cut and thinned out a little, it's artificially thick, and a little too long for my liking.

Well, I said I'd drop some pictures, so I'll show you the embroidery I've been working hard at.

"The shadow was lit by a shimmer of warmth - the firelight gleamed on velvety soft, black robes - and then by tiny sparkles, as the light glinted off silver threads, embroidered runes around a velvet cowl."
    "Silver runes were stitched about the hood that covered his head... The largest rune was in the center - an hourglass. Other silver runes sparkled in the moons' light upon the cuffs of his wide, full sleeves."

Apologies for the terrible picture quality, I only have my phone camera at the moment.

Soooo, skip this bit if you're not as analy retentive as I am...

I didn't like the effect of silver fabric paint, which I've seen a lot of people use, so I decided to go the whole hog and teach myself embroidery. For the most part I've used a split stitch, so that the runes are solid. I also disagreed with the use of Nordic runes, as in the context of Dragonlance these would be more associated with Dwarves who, as we know, are not normally magic users. So, I did a bit of digging and found a font online, linked with D&D, called Draconic, which I thought had the right 'spidery' feel to the lettering. Yes, it spells out words, but no, it is not English. Thanks to the Nexus Lexicon, I was able to create some spells of protection and then transpose them into the Draconic alphabet... and if you want to know what it says, you'll have to work backwards!

Whew, I think that's enough for now... more soon!

That... is really, seriously cool.
    Did you know that Dragonlance fandom has a podcast? Check out the Dragonlance Canticle!

Yeah. seconded. I am at awe with the detail you've put into your protective spells.
    Fanwank
    Formerly from Wikipedia, circa 2006-7,
    A fanwank is [...] an attempt by fans of a work of fiction to explain or justify plot holes or continuity errors, often through convoluted contrivances...

This is seriously cool. I'll be watching this thread for more updates on all your Raistlin cosplay goodness.

Thanks! I'm glad you guys like it. Honestly, just glad to be sharing the process with people who know what I'm going for. I'm in the UK, and hardly anyone I know has heard of Dragonlance.

A (not so) quick blurb about the staff. I've done a lot of looking at other people's costumes, getting a feel for what I do or don't want to do with my own, and one thing I saw was that most people make the claw on the top of the staff quite big and bulky. I know that in some cases this is to hide lights and batteries, but it always seemed to me that the staff would be a much more compact and streamlined bit of kit. It was, after all, a weapon, and would be carried all day. You wouldn't want anything big enough to be heavy or unwieldy, or with too many protuberances which may become fouled in the event of combat. So, I went with the version painted by Daniel Horne for the cover of Brothers in Arms. I know it's not really a dragons claw, but it just seems so much more realistic to me.
    Long term I'd like to render a 3d graphic of one of the claws and get onto Shapeways to have them made in metal. Until then, my clay one will have to do. Still, I dream big!

Quote Originally Posted by sublimelyridiculous View Post
    Long term I'd like to render a 3d graphic of one of the claws and get onto Shapeways to have them made in metal. Until then, my clay one will have to do. Still, I dream big!
    Hmmm. a 3d dragon's claw. Hmmmm. Anyone got any good pics? Maybe I can spend some time thinking about making one in 3d.
    Last edited by Weldon Chen; 05-15-2014 at 08:41 PM.
    Fanwank
    Formerly from Wikipedia, circa 2006-7,
    A fanwank is [...] an attempt by fans of a work of fiction to explain or justify plot holes or continuity errors, often through convoluted contrivances...

I was thinking like the ones I made, four individual claws to be attached to the shaft. I figure if they're metal they'd probably need to have a couple of pegs under each one to be drilled into the wood. Then you could have the crystal as a separate piece, like mine, making it a bit easier to bring everything together. If you make the claws one piece, you'd have to somehow work a crystal in there afterwards!