Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sienna's Tarokka Deck Reading

Sienna

Sienna reached for the next card. When she turned it, it gleamed in the light of the flickering candlelight.

Caw! Caw! Caw!

Suddenly the raven burst from its perch in a mad frenzy, diving for Sienna's hair. It was all she could do to shield herself with her arm as the raven flapped by her to the other side of the vardo where it cocked its head, watching.

A golden bejeweled crown gleamed on a velvet pillow. It was decorated with symbols for Glyph, Star, Sword, and Coin, indicating the card's rule over all other cards outside the High Deck.

ANCIENT PAST, THE ARTIFACT
    http://
    image upload

Madame Polushka had sat still as stone as her raven had flurried in madness.

"The Artifact, of the High Deck." The raunie touched the card. Her eyes rolled back into her head once more, her jaw began to tremble and wiggle, tongue lolling as she quaked like one about to go into a seizure. A myriad of expressions crossed her face in rapid succession - terror, sadness, wonder, enlightenment, lament...awe...

"No...yessssss....NO!.........The wedding.....Tatyana...The Holy Symbol of Ravenkind...."

Caw! Caw! Caw!

"I see...Strahd von Zarovich..........Castle Ravenloft......."

Her voice had been getting louder and louder, but now she whispered...

"and...Leo.........the traitor......Leo Dilisnya!"

The seer came bursting out of her trance. It took her long moments to recover, and sit up straight.

"The Artifact indicates a physical object of supreme importance...in this case, The Holy Symbol of Ravenkind, a memento of tragic love lost. It was there, yes it was. In the beginning, it came with Strahd von Zarovich into the Land of Mists, when Tatyana threw herself from the cliff of Castle Ravenloft...after the treason, the betrayal!"

"Of Leo Dilisnya." The name dripped from her lips.

"Dilisnya blood haunts your veins." she declared surely. "House Boritsi lays no claim to such a supreme artifact to warrant the card," she wheezed.

Rattled, Madame Polushka poured herself a glass of dark crimson wine. Barovian Red, it was. She sipped at it, allowing Sienna time for the truth to sink in. In time, Madame Polushka recovered, and was ready to continue.

"Now that we have delved into your past, it is time to look ahead, my pretty. You have come to Borca, home of House Dilisnya. You seek your mother, no? Or at the least, you have come to know those relatives of your blood, or to claim membership to your lineage. It will not be easy. There is a foe, who will stand in your way, who will attempt to thwart your plans. Perhaps, stopping nothing short of murder!"

Caw!

When you are ready, turn the next card..."

The crone pointed to the card immediately to the left of her Focus Card.

"...and your foe, will be revealed..."
    The Red Condor shrieked at Sir Darvig in full wrath. Wings flapped storms of fire across the sky. "The Mage-God grows in power swifter than it appears to Paladine. This I know. A warning," Sargonnas told Darvigl, "for you to give to Paladine in your prayers."

I will, Darvig uttered.

Sienna's mind was spinning. Who was this Leo Dilisnya and what had he done? What was this powerful artifact? (And what was it worth if should could ever get her hands on it?) She thought hard, but nothing would come to mind, damn her memory and that bird! She had been totally unprepared for that.

Sienna reached for the next card, ignoring the icy drop of sweat that slid down her neck. She wondered who would be interested in opposing her, and why, and she wondered how many more times the old crone was going to have some sort of fit. Sienna's heart almost thumped right our of her chest every time the old woman's eyes rolled back in her head.

Setting these thoughts aside and attempting to regain control of her nerves, Sienna turned over the next card.
    The Red Condor shrieked at Sir Darvig in full wrath. Wings flapped storms of fire across the sky. "The Mage-God grows in power swifter than it appears to Paladine. This I know. A warning," Sargonnas told Darvigl, "for you to give to Paladine in your prayers."

I will, Darvig uttered.

Sienna

Sienna revealed the face of the card.

A hooded figure with skeletal hands made arcane gestures over eight tombstones. Each tombstone was marked with a dark star. Rotted corpses reached from the graves.

NEAR TERM FOE: EIGHT OF STARS, THE NECROMANCER
    capture screen

"Power turned against itself! Perhaps, one of your own blood. Yessss...the letters P O I S...on the gravestone. The Dilisnya's are skilled in the use of poisons, that is known. But it is not surely one of your own blood. Your foe could be anyone...one sowing the seeds of their own, and your, destruction. Perhaps one of keen and logical mind, perhaps a wizard practitioner of black magic in pursuit of dark power...perhaps a von Zarovich. Or perhaps, the card indicates the presence of the undead."

"Beware! One with some or all of these traits will oppose you! Dire, indeed, my dear. But all hope is not lost. For a foe, a friend. There will also be one who will aid you, to oppose such darkness!"

Madame Polushka pointed to the face-down card to the right of her Focus Card, opposite The Necromancer.

I will, Darvig uttered.

Sienna squirmed at the sight of the card. She knew about bitterkender. She also knew there were worse things that walked the night, if the horror stories heard in her youth were true. The stories about Vistana fortunetellers certainly seem to be factual, now that she was face to face with an actual Vistana raunie. There was no way this woman could have know she was of Dilisnya blood, though she herself had already known.

What she had not known, not with any certainty, was that her mother's blood had a knack for the use of poisonous compounds. That certainly explained some things. A small bubble of pride managed to work it's way into Sienna's mind as she though on how she had managed to become skilled in such endeavors all on her own, despite her father's disapproval.

The thought that her human blood kin might not be pleased with the other half of her parentage had crossed her mind before now, though she hadn't though that one of them might see her dead for it, or other reasons. The Von Zarovich family, however, was not something she had though of at all. The name was known but little else came immediately to mind. She delved into her memory, trying to add more pieces to this mysterious puzzle, even as she revealed the next card.

With foes such as those being a possibility, she was anxious to see where an ally might be found.

OOC
    untrained know: nobility on the Von Zarovich family
    d20(18)+2 int= 20

I will, Darvig uttered.

Sienna

If only she could remember all the things her father had told her. A flitting memory of his words did come to mind, however. House von Zarovich was the ruling family of the realm of Barovia, to the east bordering Borca, Invidia, and Sithicus. The current ruler of Barovia ruled from Castle Raveloft deep in the jagged peaks of the snow-choked Balinok Mountains. His name, Count Strahd von Zarovich XI, often called...what had her father said..."The Devil Strahd". Father had been extremely tight-lipped about the von Zaroviches. Perhaps it was because it was said that House Dilisnya and House von Zarovich were ancient enemies, and he sought to protect her.

After the dread pause of thought, Sienna revealed the next card.

A gentle young woman dressed in white with long golden hair sat in a beautiful garden. A hand was up, a butterfly alight on one finger. A cobra lurked in the grass at her feet. The card was reversed.

NEAR-TERM ALLY: THE INNOCENT, REVERSED
    image hosting websites

Madame Polushka stared at the card long and hard.

"The Innocent of the High Deck," she crooned, "also known as The Victim. You will be aided by one born a pure and defenseless babe of great importance, perhaps nobility. A woman, perhaps, of blonde hair."

The candles flickered and shadows danced in the cluttered and cramped interior of the vardo.

Caw!

"But the card is reversed. She is no longer pure, or defenseless. The cobra lurks. She has been bitten. Indeed, she has been caressed by the Dark Powers! She is herself as dangerous to you, if not more so, than The Necromancer!"

Caw!

"Yet, in the short term, she might aid you against The Necromancer. As for the outcome, the possibilities will be revealed in the next card...your near future..."

The raunie pointed to the unturned card above her Focus Card, opposite her past.

I will, Darvig uttered.

Great. Even my ally could be a problem, Sienna thought sourly as her stomach twisted into a knot. This reading was going from good to bad to worse in a hurry.

Sienna repeated the description Madame Polushka had given in a barely audible whisper, trying to cement the words into her memory. She wanted to recognize a help -- or a hindrence -- when she saw it.

Another bead of sweat swelled then gave way to gravity, tracing an icy line down the middle of Sienna's shoulder blades. She flipped over the next card.

I will, Darvig uttered.

Sienna

Madame Polushka waited patiently, cackling to herself as she saw the bead of sweat dripping from Sienna's face. But when Sienna turned the next card, Madame Polushka seemed blinded, reeling. She reached this way and that, for unseen things, as if a crone mad to dememtia. Sienna felt a certain satisfaction as she noticed a bead sweat forming on the raunie's forehead as well, at the sight of The Mists, Reversed.

Faintly a Vistani wagon's lamp shone through a thick fog, illuminating a path leading onward into The Mists. The destination, unknown. The card, reversed.

NEAR FUTURE: THE MISTS, REVERSED
    green shot

Finally, her breathing relaxing, the Madame spoke.

"Your future is somewhat shrouded, even to I!" she said, still dazed as if stricken blind. "But still, though reversed, the lamp shines, and The Mists part. The Mists are mystically connected to Fate, my dear, and seeing the future through the Tarokka Deck. We alone, the Vistani, may navigate The Mists safely. The card warns, for you, mystery, and the unexpected. An important event is destined to take place...one coming as a surprise, no matter what foreknowledge you, The Necromancer, or The Innocent, gains."

"The card is reversed. Yesss..." The Mists seemed to be parting for the old crone. She touched the card. "You will all be swept away on an unexpected journey, through The Mists. There, the outcome will unfold, but that - your success, or doom - is unknown."

Caw!

"Still, all hope is not lost. There is yet another ally, you will have...one that will never betray you, till the end of your days. One that will be revealed...by turning the next card..."

Her bony finger pointed.

I will, Darvig uttered.

The mists.

Sienna shuddered. She didn't want to be whisked off on some unexpected journey. She was already in the land she sought. The thought of not being able to see an event coming made her skin crawl. She prided herself on ferreting out that kind of foreknowledge. At least she had the small comfort of being told that her adversary and part-time ally wouldn't know any more than she did.

Sienna was getting eager to be done with this whole fortune thing. It just seemed to get grimmer and more confusing with each card she flipped. Frowning in consternation, she turned over the next card.

I will, Darvig uttered.

Sienna

Quote Originally Posted by Pharathyse View Post
    Frowning in consternation, she turned over the next card.
    An elderly invalid lie in bed. Beside him, a young priestess wipes his brow with a cloth as she looks tenderly at him. A glow emanated from her healing hands. One the wall behind them, three carved Glyphs warded off evil influence to the patient's health. A wolflike dog lie at her feet.

LONG-TERM ALLY: THE HEALER, THREE OF GLYPHS, REVERSED

screen shot on pc

The old crone's face wrinked into canyons and crevasses as she smiled into a wide, toothless grin.

"It will be someone who practices the healing arts, a woman. Perhaps, she owns a dog. But Beware, young dear, the card is reversed! Though your ally will always be loyal to you, she carries a malevolent curse! A danger to you, perhaps. She might also be a healer not of the divine, but of the arcane, for reversed the card is."

The crone shut her eyes and began chanting in a woeful monotone.

"I know of one, where there is many. One may cross your path, but she may not be the one, but indeed she may," the crone droned cryptically. "On your path ahead following your heart's quest of lineage and blood, The Healer you may soon meet for the first time. If you meet, there she aid you for the first time, though many times in the future you will meet once more...always once more, until the end, and again...always...she will aid you, save you, care for you. She will feel pity for you, perhaps because she carries a curse not not unlike yours..."

Madame Polushka's red watery lids rose slowly, like a zombie coming awake, and Sienna noticed her eyes opened to stare at her slightly pointy ears.

"...for she ages slowly, like you...distant in nuance and identity from the mortal blood of humans. Another half-elven perhaps, or, she is or is destined to rise from the dead as a ghost, her age is neverending. It is one or another I see. The one is in your path by road to Levakarest, perhaps Sarlotta Otrava, one of the high priestesses of Ezra, in the cathedral known as The Home Faith. Or, the one in your path that will also never betray you may be of the Godefroy family, the Blood of the Haunted, with rare healing powers of the arcane."

Two cards lie unturned.

"I will warn you," the gypsy woman creaked, "once again, that you may not wish to see the final two cards. Some choose such, for what one sees may drive one mad, or trick themselves into self-fulling prophecies potentially avoidable if the cards are dire. Tell me and I will stop the reading at your bidding." The fortune-teller gasped a half-cackle, half-cough, that wracked her ribs. "Or," she moaned, "if you wish to continued, turn the next card, and learn...of that which will oppose you and plague you for all of your days. Only with the aid of the reversed Healer may you alter such fate. For the card reveals...your ultimate nemesis..."

Caw!

I will, Darvig uttered.

Sienna's eyes hardened slightly as the old crone seemed to try to talk her out of the rest of her reading. She'd paid dearly for this and she'd be damned if she didn't get everything she paid for, like it or not. Besides, knowledge was always useful, even if it was something dire. Especially if it was something dire. It was always better to face a foe forewarned and prepared if possible, she reasoned. Know thy enemy, and all of that.

Spurred on by her determination to get her money's worth, Sienna flipped over the next-to-last card to learn of her "ultimate nemesis".

I will, Darvig uttered.