Page 1 of 38 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 378

Thread: Dragons on the River of Time [Third Quest - "Kender, Kodragons, and...Cam Banks?"]

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    The Anvil of Time
    Posts
    18,850

    Default Dragons on the River of Time [Third Quest - "Kender, Kodragons, and...Cam Banks?"]

    The Prologue
    Nine Watches after the Exiles of the River of Time had given themselves over to the blissful darkness that lived behind their eyelids the Wayfarer's phantom grandfather clock tolled nineteen times, rousing the six time-lost companions from their heavy sleep with it's steady ringing. Each of them heard their whimsical benefactor's voice in their heads, cheerfully urging them to arise, as they stared blankly about their pitch-black empty rooms.

    “Live! Wake up! Wake up! It's time to go swimming again!”

    OOC -
    Ulin, DC 15 Perception check (d20+7): 22. Succeeds. Ulin is awake.
    Loren, DC 15 Perception check (d20+1): 18. Succeeds. Loren is awake. Holy smite resets.
    Simone, DC 15 Perception check (d20+13): 20. Succeeds. Simone is awake.
    Luccia, DC 15 Perception check (d20+11): 19. Succeeds. Luccia is awake.
    Sounare, DC 15 Perception check (d20+12): 17. Succeeds. Sounare is awake.
    Beldyn, DC 15 Perception check (d20+7): 23. Succeeds. Beldyn is awake.

    You're up kids! Get yourselves together and go see what the boss wants this time. Have fun!
    Last edited by Tauren_Kai-Jere; 06-09-2014 at 10:48 PM.
    Head Moderator &
    Member of the Whitestone Council


    "Hey look! I'm the Code of Conduct! Check me out!" -The Code of Conduct

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ulgaard
    Posts
    1,720

    Default

    The clock toll sounded like a hammer in Beldyn's head, he had never slept so soundly and wished for more time. He lazily rolled off of his bedroll and onto the floor. The cool stone quickly roused him and he pushed himself up into a kneeling position. He cracked his neck and then his back as he prepared for his morning prayers. Another day, another world to save he thought to himself as he settled into a trance like state. Opening his mind to the god, Beldyn spoke to him as if he were speaking to a friend.

    ooc: I will get the spells updated and maybe I can even use them this time!
    "It's not a game of Final Fantasy where you can step outside the plot for a bit and train up your stats, it's a potentially apocalyptic final chapter in an epic drama." - Brass Tiger Captain

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    O-H-I-O!
    Posts
    4,593

    Default

    Loren stretched out in his bedroll as he awoke, painfully aware of how sleeping on the floor was a young mans game and how he was no longer a young man. Perhaps the Wayfarer would get them furnished accommodations next time, he thought as he groggily got up and opened the door to get some light in. He looked down the hallway, making sure the others' doors were closed and no one was out yet. Going back inside, he began collecting a clean pair of clothes and did his best to clean off his armor. The mud and filth took a while to wash off his boots but eventually he felt he could wear it all with pride.

    His armor donned, Loren gripped his greatsword and looked at the holy weapon before solemnly placing the tip into the ground and kneeling before the sword. "Mishakal," he muttered into weapon, "I thank you for your support and protection through these journeys. I ask that you continue to watch over my family while I'm away, and protect my companions through the trials ahead. My sword, my life, and my mercy are always yours."

    Loren exited his room and waited in the hallway for the others to assemble, wondering all the while what strange new world they would be heading to this time.
    Moderator

    Characters:
    -Loren Soth (LG Male Human Fighter 7/Paladin 3; Dragons on the River of Time)
    -Kadrien Soth (Zabrak Soldier 5/Jedi 2; Star Wars-Dawn of Defiance)
    -Victaria Grey (NG Female Cleric of Irori 5; Rise of the Runelords)


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    541

    Default

    The maiden and her sister slept on the floor, part of Luccia was nestled unseen in Sounare's feathers and conversely Luccia's hair was now just long enough to cover Sounare's eye and part of her beak. Armor and saddle had been neatly laid aside yet the bedroll they began sleeping upon had been shoved and was now an abandoned pile. Luccia would swear the two shared a dream of flying through and above some unspoiled wild. The sight of the two of them would evidence some form of dream-time acrobatics.

    The pair awakened gently, as the half-elf combed her hair the griffon preened feathers. Clothes were made neat, armor and saddle were donned. All the while a nearly soundless tale was shared between the two. Images of what the other did while they were separated traveled from mind to mind, punctuated with some sounds "verily", a trill, "amazing" and even a low keening roar.

    The last was Sounare's vindication of Luccia dispatching murderers to protect her 'pride of friends'. The griffon could be confused by some of the stranger humanoid behaviors but it's sense of Just and Right were strongly developed. Sounare had cut through a swarm of Luccia's conflicting emotional self-judgments with a few shared images and a single call. It might have taken a good person and a large pile of handkerchiefs over an hour to accomplish the same effect.

    The two strode out to rejoin their pride and meet with the Wayfarer.
    Last edited by Tauren_Kai-Jere; 12-05-2013 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Accidentally edited for typos. Stupid forgetful moderator!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,817

    Default

    Simone lay staring at the ceiling, unable to stop thinking about the events of the previous day. She was quite proficient at masking her fear with forced confidence, but never had she had to keep the act up for so long or through such desperate times. As physically and emotionally draining as the day had been, she could not stop thinking about it long enough to get some rest. The chiming of the Wayfarer's clock did not rouse her from sleep, it merely signaled that it was time to stop trying.

    The young woman wearily set about preparing for the new day. She spent an unnecessary amount of time brushing her hair, as it allowed her to clear her mind. Almost as though the gentle tugging at her scalp was actually relieving the tension of the thoughts bottled up beneath.

    Slipping into a fresh set of clothes further helped to invigorate her as she finished her preparations in less of a weary haze. She emerged far from energetic, but once again, looking far more presentable than her mood should have allowed.
    Salinus Wavebreaker - KoD, SoS
    Tempest "Downfall" Windstrider - DoA, DoW, DRT
    Simone Belmonte - JoNS, JN, DRT

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    12,530

    Default

    After a quasi-unsuccessful attempt to determine the magical properties of the three items, Ulin unfurled his bedroll in frustration. Many thoughts raced through his head, but he silenced them through a simple breathing technique taught during his time as a failed apprentice mage. At least he took something way from the wasteful training, he mused. Not long after, the fatigued sorcerer finally fell into much needed slumber. He slept. He dreamt.

    It was the tolling of the clock that caused Ulin to open his eyes. The rasping voice of the Wayfarer only made it worse. Slowly taking his feet, he went to the wash basin, splashing cool water upon his face. He needed a bath. It had been well over a week. Perhaps the strange fountain was available, he noted with a sardonic smile. Ulin already knew the answer to that question.

    Collecting his things, he sighed and made ready. What new journey was it this time? He walked out towards the hall and onward to the next mission.
    -Dragonlance Nexus Social Media Manager-
    GM - ICRP: Star Wars - Dawn of Defiance

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    The Anvil of Time
    Posts
    18,850

    Default

    The airborne Wayfarer zipped out from behind the massive crystal ball that was the floating centerpiece of his dim sanctuary. His cloak actually snapped behind him as he landed, his movement was so abrupt, and he clapped his hands together excitedly as he landed. The dusty rose prism that continually floated about his head maintained it's regular orbit as always.

    “Did everyone sleep well? Are you ready to venture back into the River?” he asked quickly.

    OOC -
    Ulin is special. His totally empty room got a wash basin.
    Head Moderator &
    Member of the Whitestone Council


    "Hey look! I'm the Code of Conduct! Check me out!" -The Code of Conduct

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ulgaard
    Posts
    1,720

    Default

    Beldyn planted both hands on the ground to help himself up off of his knees. He had been praying for the better part of an hour and he was sure that the others where waiting for him. He quickly traded his torn and bloody adventuring gear for his soft woven robes of his faith. Adjusting his medallion of faith, he finally packed his gear and moved out to join the others.

    He looked at the others and saw that they were all in pretty good shape. Ulin even had time to take a bath. However, when his gaze fell upon Simone, it seemed like she was still fatigued, probably not having slept much the following night.

    Moving closer to her, Beldyn asked, "Lady Belmonte, excuse me but may I offer you Paladine's aid?" Beldyn whispered a prayer to the father of all while taking Simone's hand.

    OOC: If none of that works or is not needed, I will edit.
    Perception check to see Simone is fatigued: Roll(1d20)+7: 13,+7 Total:20
    I would assume she is fatigued after the long day and not sleeping 8 hours(?).
    If Simone agrees, cast lesser restoration on Simone.
    "It's not a game of Final Fantasy where you can step outside the plot for a bit and train up your stats, it's a potentially apocalyptic final chapter in an epic drama." - Brass Tiger Captain

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    O-H-I-O!
    Posts
    4,593

    Default

    "Yes," Loren answered. "But I wonder how many such adventures you have for us? I would eventually like to return to my family."
    Moderator

    Characters:
    -Loren Soth (LG Male Human Fighter 7/Paladin 3; Dragons on the River of Time)
    -Kadrien Soth (Zabrak Soldier 5/Jedi 2; Star Wars-Dawn of Defiance)
    -Victaria Grey (NG Female Cleric of Irori 5; Rise of the Runelords)


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    The Anvil of Time
    Posts
    18,850

    Default

    Beldyn's gentle touch washed away Simone's fatigue in an instant. Although her heart still felt weary, her body was now able willingly face whatever lay before them.

    “All good things to those who earn them, Loren,” the Wayfarer told the paladin. “Every current you stabilize brings you that much closer to home. I promise you I have no intentions of keeping anyone longer then is necessary.”

    The old sorcerer stepped within the oak and steel bands on the floor and waved a hand before the crystal orb that floated at their center. In an instant the glowing green crystal was transformed into a globe of a world that looked like no world any of them had ever seen. A great mountainous continent dominated the western hemisphere, northwest of a pastoral empire of trees and grasslands. Archipelagos great and small dotted the oceans leading east to a great land of ruined kingdoms, deep jungles, and malodorous swamps.

    “The world you'll be visiting next is closer to the metaphysical shores of the River and consequently bears little resemblance to the worlds you know. I myself have only had the pleasure of visiting a few times,” he said excitedly. “In fact it isn't even called Krynn! It's people call it 'Alth.' The people? Ah, the people. So many strange and interesting races. The magical gargoyle clans of the mountain kingdoms, the bestial shapeshifters of the Northlands, and the sly rat-men who burrow beneath the kingdoms of the surface world. There are so few like them throughout the River.”

    The globe vanished and was replaced by images of multi-hued winged beasts that transformed from stone to flesh as the sun set. Tribes of wild men who could transform into bears and wolves battled for supremacy with sword and bow and tooth and claw across wild snow-covered forests. Stooped men with the fur, heads, and tails of rats slunk through shadowy tunnels, undermining the kingdoms of the world above them.

    “Fortunately, there are some things that never really change – men, elves, dwarves, gnomes, and even kender are generally as you know them to be. I won't bore you with a detailed history of the world because it would unrecognizable to all of you and this tale is a more personal one full of loss and revenge,” he said more somberly.

    The image of a man with long fiery red hair pulled back into a ponytail and matching, jagged beard came into focus in the Wayfarer's globe. Steel studs punctured his earlobes. His light armor and rustic garb conjured the image of a dedicated, but weary woodsman. He sighted at them with his heavy crossbow from a blind and fired. Luccia half-ducked despite herself.

    “This is Kam Banks, one of the deadliest trackers and marksmen in this world. And this is his prey,” the Wayfarer said. The image of the hunter faded away to be replaced by two tiny, furry dragons no bigger than kittens that fluttered playfully through the air on wings the size of a bat's. “The last two kodragons on Alth. I will be sending you to the pastoral city of Kenderdale and the wooded park where these creatures make their home. For the next forty-eight Watches you must keep that man from killing those kodragons or the balance will shift in favor of the forces of chaos, a tragedy Alth cannot afford. Kam Banks has hunted this rare draconic offshoot to near extinction, single-handed. He is not to be underestimated," the Wayfarer said seriously. "Questions?"

    OOC -
    Beldyn casts lesser restoration on Simone. She feels much better physically.
    Last edited by Tauren_Kai-Jere; 12-09-2013 at 07:59 AM.
    Head Moderator &
    Member of the Whitestone Council


    "Hey look! I'm the Code of Conduct! Check me out!" -The Code of Conduct

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •