Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: IC (In Character) CHAPTER 1

Max couldn't believe what she was hearing. Maybe it was easy for men (and Dwarves, for that matter) to invite danger, especially if they were well armed, and knew their weapons well. She wasn't a warrior, she was a servant of the Goddess on a divine mission, and discovery and capture weren't high on her list.

She clutched the cut on her side, which had dribbled over the dash in her armor where the hob's blade had missed the metal studs, and stained her tunic. It burned, but it was bearable. They needed to get off of the road, and get patched up.

"Thorn, you'd might as well roll the rest of these highwaymen. Their purses will pay for their mistakes. Garth, help me move the bodies off of the road. We'll find a place to hide them, a drift of leaves, or something. Yuri, keep an eye out. Call if trouble comes. We'll get this done, find an inn, and call for a healer for these cuts. Sooner finished is sooner food."

She tore a strip of cloth off the hem of her cloak. The action made her wince, not because of the pain of her wound, but more because the garment had been new. She wrapped the strand of warm fabric around the crystal, tying it in place. Maybe that would be enough to keep prying eyes, and hands, off of them. Satisfied, she leaned the staff against a nearby tree, picked up one of the Hobs by his boots, and started dragging.
    Dragonlanceforums.com Moderater - To be one, ask one!

Do you love the Dragonlace Forums? Do they provide you with hours of entertainment? Why not donate? Keep the hamsters running. Ask me how!

As Maxavel goes about her tasks; she is startled when she wraps the cloth around the blue gemstone of the staff as a bluish-white light suddenly flares bright enough to draw the attention of all four members of the group and the wooden shaft of the Staff suddenly appears to be made of bluish-white crystal. Max feels a tingling sensation and the slight cut from the Hobgoblin's blade closes over and the wound is fully healed*.....the first magical healing anyone present has ever seen or even heard of except for in tales and legends.

After the brief moment the bluish-white glow fades as quickly as it flared up and the staff once again appears to be a wooden staff with a small blue gemstone encased in an ornately designed head-piece. Max can somehow tell that the staff she carries can utilize this ability to heal wounds by merely touching a wounded person....and can do so at least a dozen or so more times beforing needing to be recharged by the light of the Silver Moon....

*OOC: Maxavel is back to a full 29hp; whenever this power is used; in game terms it will cost 1 charge (you're not sure exactly how many the staff holds; but it's at least 12)...and it will heal 1d8+2 HPs per use...I'll make the roles; but your character would understand the game effects in "real" terms; if that makes sense.

With the bright flash of blue light, Yuri reacts in typical gnomish fashion... he shields his eyes and dives for cover behind a tree stump. After a moment, Yuri looks back up and sees that no lightning discharge or firey explosion had occured.

"Maxavel, are you alright? I think you may have hit the 'on switch' for this illumination device. That stranger could have gave you a warning or instruction manual before heading off."

Max just stared up at the thing.

"I'm fine. I feel..." She spread her hands out over her body, and realized that the sword cut she'd gotten had closed. "...fine." What did this mean? Max knew from her books that healing magic was the purview of the gods. This staff was empowered by her goddess? If that was true, then Max was on the right path. She felt a little short of breath, and her hands shook while she helped drag Hobgoblin corpses off of the road. When everyone had gathered together again, she looked to Thorn. "How much Steel did they have on them, Thorn? Let me see to your wound, there. I want to try something.

Max touched the Staff to Thorn and Garth. Yuri's cut was not as bad. She looked into the Gnome's eyes after she'd inspected his wound. "We'll get you a healer when we get into Solace. I'm not sure how much Magic is left in the Staff. We want to save it for the worst wounds."
    Last edited by SuperBall; 11-03-2013 at 09:19 AM.

Do you love the Dragonlace Forums? Do they provide you with hours of entertainment? Why not donate? Keep the hamsters running. Ask me how!

After stopping a few seconds in astonishment, Garth gathers his gear and starts walking.

Great Paladine! This is indeed a sign of the return of the True Gods! Maxavel is right, we need to hide it from whoever sent these hobgoblins. We need to get out of here now.

"By Reorx' Beard! That'll be pretty handy." The Dwarf commented, his jaw dropped...and then dwarven sensibility kicked in and he resumed looting the corpses for anythnig useful weapon/shield/gear as well as money.
    Roleplaying is not a Hobby...it's a Way of Life.

Yuri's cut was not as bad. She looked into the Gnome's eyes after she'd inspected his wound. "We'll get you a healer when we get into Solace. I'm not sure how much Magic is left in the Staff. We want to save it for the worst wounds."

"No worry. I will be fine with a few bandages, hydrogen peroxide, and some rest."

Yuri made a note to himself to double check if he still had any of that wonderous rocket propellant left that a number of interesting side uses.

Thorn discovered that each of the Hobgoblins was carrying about 10 to 12 iron pieces each; for a grand total of 70 pieces. They also each had a scimitar of decent make; and from what the Dwarf could tell; relatively recent forging. They had been wearing some rather crudely-made; yet effective studded leather armor and somewhat surprisingly; instead of any kind of clannish sigils or markings; they each had a matching red armband worn high on the right arm.*

As Maxavel touched the staff to Thorn and Garth; the staff flashed the by-now-familiar bluish-white light and took on the appearance of being made entirely of crystal as the remarkable healing energies surged through both the Dwarf and the Squire. Their wounds both completely closed over and Max could tell that the staff had perhaps 10 or so usages left after healing both men.**

Yuri meanwhile discovers that while he no longer possesses anymore of the rocket fuel; he realizes that most towns should carry the raw materials to create some more.

With that; the foursome continue to travel down the path; noting that it begins to bend to the West a bit and soon the heavy woods are left behind them and they come into a clearing that looks upon a most wondrous sight. A copse of truly massive vallenwood trees rise up and nestled in the great boughs of the trees are virtually all of the buildings and homes that make up the town of Solace. A warm autumn breeze rustles the red and gold leaves of the trees and the road winds itself through the trees and down to a large lake that can be seen in the distance. As the foursome wander into town; they soon notice that the only major building that appears to be on the ground has a sign noting it as the Blacksmithy and another sign near the base of one of the wrap-around, circular stairways leading to a building in the trees is labelled 'Inn of the Last Home'....

OOC: *I'm assuming the money is taken of course (70ip equalling 7 steel pieces in worth); let me know if anyone wants to take any of the swords.

**Both Garth and Thorn are completely healed.

The dwarf pockets all the money, intent to share it once they break camp. He grumble a gruff thanks upon the healing of his wounds. Once done, he continued on, alert to any more trouble.

Upon arriving at the village, and looking at the location of the house he could not help but exclaim: "Seriously? Treehouse? What do they think I am? an Elf?"

He was completely unimpressed.
    Last edited by Boneguard; 11-13-2013 at 02:43 PM. Reason: can't spell when tired
    Roleplaying is not a Hobby...it's a Way of Life.

Max ignored the grumbling Dwarf. She clearly was impressed. Her neck was craned upward, staring into the boughs even as they ascended the winding stairs...

OOC: ready to move on. Sorry for the delay.