Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 215

Thread: IC (In Character) CHAPTER 1

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    504

    Default IC (In Character) CHAPTER 1

    CHAPTER 1: DRAGONS OF DESPAIR

    Road just north of Solace in Abanasinia; Late afternoon, Reorxmont (September) 25th, 351 AC (After Catacylsm)

    An eclectic band of four travelers found themselves walking down a dusty road a few miles north of a town they had heard was called Solace. The band consisted of a young, sturdy Dwarven warrior from the realm of Kaolyn by the name of Thorn Stoneshield; a nineteen year old Solamnic with a heroic bearing called Garth Blackwood; an inventive Gnome known to anyone other than a Gnome as Yuri; and a quiet woman with kind, wise eyes from Northern Ergoth named Maxavel "Max" Lar Vhon. The foursome had crossed the narrows of the New Sea from the northern Solamnic shore of Ansalon and come to the southern region known as Abanasinia. Their first stop was the appropriately named village of Crossing; where they had enjoyed a nice meal and a pleasant evening at a local Inn before they began their journey south.

    The group was traveling south for two main reasons; the first was Thorn's mission to attempt to re-establish contact with the Dwarven nation of Thorbardin; which was located in the mountains south of Abansinia; if ancient maps were still correct. With the Catacylsm that had struck the world of Krynn some 351 years earlier; it was anyone's guess if the mother nation to the Dwarven colony of Kaolyn was even still there. Garth Blackwood; who had grown up near the Dwarven nation and become friends with Thorn in his childhood had been assigned to help Thorn's mission as his final Test before becoming an official Knight of Solamnia.

    In addition; the one-time sailor and orphan Maxvel Lar Vhon had had several prophetic dreams of a beautiful woman in blue garb who had told her that she must travel to the south and would be instrumental in red-discovery the True Gods. Becoming companions with Thorn and Garth on the trip; she enjoyed their company and vice-versa; so the three decided to travel together. Along the way; an errant Rocket Flight crashed into the New Sea near the vessel the three were on; and lone Gnomish crewmember; Yuri; was fished out of the sea and brought aboard. Having no where else to go and reasoning that traveling with capable people was smarter than going it alone in a strange land; the Gnome tagged along with the trio; making it a foursome.

    It was approximately 60 miles to the town of Solace; which the people in Crossing told of in wondrous terms. Supposedly; the town's building were all nestled in the boughs of giant Vallenwood trees. The foursome weren't sure if this was just some exaggerated tales or not; but seeing as how the ancient road went into the valley that Solace occupied and continued to the south; they decided to head that way themselves. It was on their fourth day of travel that they began to see the giant trees in the distance; becoming closer and closer as the continued along the way. At a rocky outcropping the road descended down a mild incline and the foursome could clearly see the massive size of the grove of Vallenwood trees. The people in Crossing had certainly not lied about the size of the trees, at least.

    The air surges fierce and sweet in the late afternoon air, carrying the clear musk smell of the woodlands. The soft murmur of stirring leaves, of insects and of small animals fills the landscape. The clear highland sky blushes with the end of the day approaching. From this rock outcropping the valley below seems peaceful, untouched. Dense forests of pines carpet the nearby mountainsides, varied only by thick aspen woods. The mountains, deep blue in the distance, circle the valley floor and form a soft, highland bowl.

    It is a wonder that any beautiful places are still left in the world after the literal earth-changing event known as the Cataclysm re-wrought the earth; but looking below in the vallenwoods; with indeed homes and buildings built cradled in the boughs of the trees themselves; the adventurers do indeed see a sight they will remember for the rest of their lives. After a blissful moment of silent wonder; the four began to move down the road and towards the beckoning warmth of a night under a roof....even if that roof is under tree branches!

    With the town barely a mile or two from sight the road enters some sparse woods and suddenly; the brush rustles with noise from both sides of the path. Half a dozen dark shapes suddenly emerge from the trees; three from either side; fencing in the party. They are humanoid and all stand around 6 feet in height; with yellowish-green skin and dark leather armor on. They have the flat-faced, ugly features of Hobgoblins; and all are armed with curved blades; which they have in their hands. Some of the more sharp eyed members of the party notice red armbands around their right biceps; and then the sudden sound of a mounted rider arrests everyone's attention.

    A stout pony clamors into the area; sagging beneath the weight of a muscular yet flabby Hobgoblin with noticeably better armor than his fellows. This hobgoblin looks at you with a haughty look in his yellow eyes then disdainfully snorts from above his double-chin and calls out; "We have been tasked with the recovery of the sacred Blue Crystal Staff and to collect a toll from all travelers on this road. Forfeit the staff if you have it and the toll is ten steel pieces each."

    With that he barks an order in Goblin to his fellow hobgoblins; wheels his pony and rides back into the woods. Those who understand Goblin translate the order in their minds as; "If they have the staff; bring it to me; otherwise kill them after collecting the toll."

    The half-dozen Hobgoblins smile wickedly and advance towards you all....

    OOC: There are 6 Hobgoblins carrying Scmitars and currently all are within melee range of all of you. Please make a post with your intended action and then I will do any rolling that needs to be done and make the next post. Please let me know via the OOC thread or PM if you have any questions/concerns.
    Last edited by maxvale; 10-21-2013 at 03:53 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Gatineau (Quebec), Canada
    Posts
    388

    Default

    The Young dwarf was pretty friendly for a dwarf, despite his tendency to keep his answer short, at least he was answering. Very often you could see him pouring in hisa map, looking at the general geography, trying to find landmarks that had survived the Cataclysm.

    The proxility of solace, cheered him up as he was getting tired of all this dust and travelling. When he noticed the hobgoblins barring his way, anciant hatred boiled his blood and he forgo the crossbow he favored so much to go hand to hand with his mace.

    "DIE!!!!!" The dwarf yelled in the goblin language as he rushed them to back their skull in with his mace.
    Roleplaying is not a Hobby...it's a Way of Life.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Akron, Ohio
    Posts
    5,535

    Default

    Maxavel put one foot in front of the other, and tried to think about Solace. She heard all of the talk in Crossing, about the little town in the tree boughs, and thought that it would be a wonder to see.

    That was forty miles ago.

    Now, she knew that it would be a wonder to see. She just placed one boot in front of the other, and kept pace with the others. Soon, she kept telling herself. Soon, there would be a bath. There would be dark beer, and a warm hearth. Soon, she'd hear the shrill cries of children at play, smile at and speak to friendly strangers. Soon, she'd eat good food, instead of this dried fruit and nuts in a little cloth bag in he bottom of her rucksack. Maxval knew that she had to keep pressing south. South led her to answers. South led her to her goddess, and she was thankful for the company of these three with her.

    When the Vallenwoods came into view, They stole the air from her throat. She just...stared, looking up at the massive trees. She'd never seen anything like it in her life. She was so busy looking up, that she missed the Hobgoblin patrol until they were almost on her. Maxavel had at first been perfectly willing to pay the tax and walk on peaceably, after all, she didn't have this Blue Crystal Staff that they'd mentioned. The wise woman understood the gutteral tongue that the hobgoblins bandied about loosely, however, completely confident in the ignorance of most passerby. She wasn't going to be robbed and killed on the road, and she wasn't going to stand by and allow it to happen to the others. They were wrapped up in her quest somehow, she was sure of it.

    At the mention of their murders, Maxavel dropped back, loading a bullet into her sling. The woman had come too far to allow this to happen to her, or anyone under her care, and these Hobgoblins would pay for their wonton free booting.

    OOC: I want to get some distance between myself and the Gobbos. And load my sling. I'm not 100% on how combat works, so I'm not sure if I can, but if for any reason she could take a shot at one of them not engaged in Melee, she would.
    Last edited by SuperBall; 10-22-2013 at 11:40 AM.
    Dragonlanceforums.com Moderater - To be one, ask one!

    Do you love the Dragonlace Forums? Do they provide you with hours of entertainment? Why not donate? Keep the hamsters running. Ask me how!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    81

    Default

    Garth was a bit disappointed. Of all places in Ansalon, the last he expected to be ambushed was the famed beautiful Solace.

    He knows that he should give the hobgoblins a chance to surrender, but Thorn speaks goblin and Garth trusts his friend. As he sees Thorn reading his mace, he prepares his flail and rushes after Thorn, spinning his weapon.

    "I hope that killing hobgoblins is not the only heroic thing I'm going to be known for to be accepted in the knighthood," he thinks.
    Last edited by Garth; 10-22-2013 at 07:36 AM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, VA
    Posts
    22

    Default

    IC: Yuri frowns as the goblins thugs charge the group. He had planned for the group to reach Solace by sunset. The goblins were going to make them late. Yuri hated to be off schedule. Stepping forward to stand to the right of the dwarf, the muscular gnome engineer unslings his hammer with one hand and brings up a buckler with the other. As soon a goblin comes in reach, Yuri will show him an example of appled force.

    OCC: Yuri gets a +1 to hit goblins cuz they're ugly. Goblin ugliness attracts metal and wood... it's a proven gnomish scientific fact.

    DM, did you want us to list weapon damage and combat bonuses in our posts to make it easier for you when you go to make the rolls?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    504

    Default

    The melee began in earnest with Maxavel stepping back and launching a bullet from her sling which gave a solid hit on the side of the Hobgoblin's head who rushed her. Staggering from the wound with blood dripping in his eye; he swung wildly and just managed to connect with the woman's side; tearing a small gash in her studded armor and causing a slight twinge of pain as the blade drew a shallow cut*....

    At about the same time the young Dwarf Thorn leapt into action and swung a massive blow with his mace which connected with the side of a surprised hobgoblin's head and stove it in. The brute dropped to the ground like a sack; clearly having departed this world for another plane of existence. One of his fellows snarled in anger and hatred and swung a blow in retaliation at the Dwarf; but Thorn adroitly raised his Buckler and deflected the blow as the two stepped back and faced one another while preparing to launch the next strike....

    Yuri moved forward with the intention of utilizing his hammer to effect the same results as his Dwarven companion; but alas he miscalculated and his weapon's arc did not terminate against the Hobgoblin's body. The Hobgoblin swung back with a curved sword; but Yuri ducked low and the blade whistled by overhead. The Gnome's mind worked feverishly fast in attempting to deduce the correct method to eliminate the problem before him....

    Garth dropped the Lance he had carried all the way from Solamnia and pulled the flail off of his belt as he prepared for battle. The strapping; well armed and armored warrior drew a pair of opponents and he managed to get his shield in the way of one of the hobgoblin's attack; but the other was able to land a blow which found a chink in his banded mail armor along the thigh and draw a small wound**. Garth hissed as the pain of the wound caught up to him and he could feel some blood dripping down the inside of his pant leg. In retaliation; he swung the flail around in a massive blow which stove in the side of the Hobgoblin's rib cage and actually lifted the monster off of his feet for a brief moment before crashing back down to the ground like a puppet cut off from its strings and not moving...


    OOC: *Maxavel was hit for 2 points of damage; **Garth was hit for 4 points of damage

    Okay; there are 4 hobgoblins still in the fight; one is badly wounded and facing Maxavel (in melee range now; so the sling is of no use); one is fine and facing Yuri; two more are untouched and facing Thorn and Garth respectively. Two hobgoblins are on the ground and not moving; one from a blow from Thorn; the other from Garth. If you would all like to see the rolls I make for you; please let me know and I will display that in the future. Also; quick note: Yuri doesn't actually get a bonus to hit as these are Hobgoblins; not regular Goblins.....I'd say the distinction doesn't really matter; but the PHB goes to the effort of listing both for Dwarves; so I'd say it does. Sorry amigo! If it helps...I rolled a 3 for you; so it would't have mattered. If you'd like to make your own rolls; let me know....you might be more lucky than me! (Although, I DID roll a 2 for your opponent's hit roll! )
    Last edited by maxvale; 10-22-2013 at 02:33 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Akron, Ohio
    Posts
    5,535

    Default

    Maxavel clenched her teeth, letting a hiss of displeasure escape her lips as pain blossomed out across her side from the Hobgoblin's cut. The woman realized that the sling would be useless against this foe, and so she dropped it, lifted the heavy mace from the loop on her belt, and brought its blunt flanges down on her opponent's skull.

    OOC: Max will empty her hand, draw the mace, and attack the Hob facing her. If I can't do this, let me know in the OOC, and I'll edit.
    Dragonlanceforums.com Moderater - To be one, ask one!

    Do you love the Dragonlace Forums? Do they provide you with hours of entertainment? Why not donate? Keep the hamsters running. Ask me how!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Gatineau (Quebec), Canada
    Posts
    388

    Default

    "Filthy Kapak-lover!" The Dwarf yelled in the goblin language, insulting his opponents manhood as he swing at the closest one.
    Last edited by Boneguard; 10-26-2013 at 06:22 AM.
    Roleplaying is not a Hobby...it's a Way of Life.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    81

    Default

    Garth clenches his teeth in pain and spin his flail in the skull of the hobgoblin in front of him.

    "Damn creature! You will soon join your pal in the bottomless pit in the Abyss where I sent him!"

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, VA
    Posts
    22

    Default

    Yuri recalculates his swing and attempts to hit the hobgoblin in chest.

    OCC: Sorry for the delay....

    Attack roll: 16 +1 = 17
    Damage: 3 +1 = 4
    Dice roll link: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/search/1332299/

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •